lol! leet ha)(0rs leak guvermint secrets to teh interwebz!

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Spots2012

lol! leet ha)(0rs leak guvermint secrets to teh interwebz!

Postby Spots2012 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:49 pm

No thread on this yet?

Pretty interesting stuff -

the sea cables leak - can see how terrorists would use it.... do you think wikileaks is kinda encouraging a 'destroy the infrastructure' type revolution?
Last edited by Spots2012 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenie

Re: wikileaks thread.

Postby greenie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:15 am

I think wikileaks is mainly about democracy and information being made open to the public.

this video explains the concepts behinds wikileaks.
http://www.ted.com/talks/julian_assange ... leaks.html
The controversial website WikiLeaks collects and posts highly classified documents and video. Founder Julian Assange, who's reportedly being sought for questioning by US authorities, talks to TED's Chris Anderson about how the site operates, what it has accomplished -- and what drives him. The interview includes graphic footage of a recent US airstrike in Baghdad.

(july)

on the news front:
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London
http://channel6newsonline.com/2010/12/w ... -london-2/
After weeks in hiding, marked by the issuance of an international arrest warrant and death threats from around the world over the release of classified U.S. documents, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was taken into custody

The organization's first big scoop was on April 5 when it released a classified video which showed a 2007 U.S. helicopter attack in Iraq which left several civilians killed, including two unarmed Reuters journalists.

Later, in July, WikiLeaks released the so-called 'Afghan War Diary', more than 92,000 documents with sensitive details about the ongoing war in Afghanistan. It was one of the largest leaks in the history of the U.S. military, but also exposed the names of Afghans who have provided information to NATO. The Taliban pledged to kill those informants, although no such violence was ever reported.

Then, in late October, WikiLeaks released nearly 400,000 U.S. Army field reports of the Iraq War between 2004 and 2009. It led to several revelations, including new reports of civilian deaths...
..... back to the primitive .......

www.che-lives.com/forum

www.huon.org rainforest protection in oz

www.savehappyvalley.org.nz

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:46 am

It's doing what journalists should have been doing for the last 30yrs.

Funny how obvious the pressure from above is when in the last week the big media has across the board stopped referring to WL as a "whistle-blower" site.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 am

Its fucking lame. Is the equivalent of a public audit, which all govt's should adhere too. Instead they will frame/set him up and leave him to rot in some shitty prison. That or a terrorist (mossad) will kill him.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am

steve f wrote:Its fucking lame. Is the equivalent of a public audit, which all govt's should adhere too. Instead they will frame/set him up and leave him to rot in some shitty prison. That or a terrorist (mossad) will kill him.

I dunno, I think it's possible he's now become too famous to take out in an obvious way like false allegations etc. Plus, even if he goes out, wikileaks goes on, which must be a real pain in the arse because if anything, theyll just become more secretive about whos involved.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:49 pm

As I've said before, it'll all end up in a war between people who want total security like the fuckwit quoted above and those of us who still value our liberties.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Maybe we should get ourselves a bunker in the swiss alps and just nuke the rest of the human race then?

I wouldn't miss the cunts.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:02 pm

julian assange is the lockerbie bomber
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:08 pm

just for a bit of a teaser here's a hint of what is coming relevant to nz. no content of the cables but lists all of them that have been tagged with new zealand as a .csv file with the tags abbreviations explained.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9H4zS ... YTg0&hl=en

and these are the numbers of cables originating here for the years they are from:

just a matter of waiting...
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:50 pm

One interesting commment I saw on a Wikileak FB thread, is how it's a breach of a country's privacy. Just like how you wouldn't want someone publishing your private diary, or emails, it's the collective privacy of all those citizens.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:06 pm

well as crap as that analogy is it could go the other way too, every citizen should have the right to read their countries diary...

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:16 pm

that is not a good point david, at all.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Ret-

Postby Ret- » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 pm

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Spots, you will be the first to be locked out of my bunker but I'm going to make sure I have a camera outside so I can watch all your skin fall off from radiation poisoning.

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:52 pm

Alright- I'm not saying that some of the stuff that's been leaked, there isn't a case for public interest,

but are you guys saying that there is nothing that a state should be allowed to keep secret? Or that wikileaks have only leaked that stuff that is public interest?

surely there is some stuff that it's pretty valid to keep secret - especially if the leaking is on an uneven keel - ie if you are leaking military strategies of one country, but not the other.

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 pm

also: when/where did logan say that quote that's in GMs sig?

arkie

Postby arkie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:58 pm

States can have secrets. Obviously they have to keep them better than they have done so far though.

and yeah, that limited hangout wiki is an interesting read and I'm sure there are is an element of that involved.

also, wish this thread had a better / more imaginative title.

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:33 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/443 ... aks-arrest

US and Swedish officials have already discussed the possibility of Assange being delivered into the hands of US law enforcement to face potential charges over "espionage offences", Britain's The Independent reported, citing "diplomatic sources".

Oh wow, that seems pretty rude / below the belt - arrest the guy on totally unrelated charges, and then when he's in custody string him up for this. Well, it hasn't happened yet.

greenie

Postby greenie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 pm

THE end of WikiLeaks would send a chilling message through the media, according to one of New Zealand’s leading investigative journalists.

A serious fight is going on about the legitimacy of the news media to uncover information governments prefer to keep secret, says freelance writer Nicky Hager.

Since the latest leak of government cables, the whistleblowing website has come under intense scrutiny and pressure to close down.

Mr Hager Sunday Star-Times contributor and author of The Hollow Men, says: “If WikiLeaks were closed down, it would be a terrible precedent and send a chilling message through the media.

WikiLeaks’ release last month of United States diplomatic cable prompted the US government to force the site’s web host to shut it down.

The International Federation of Journalists says closure of the site (now relocated) was an attack on free speech by the US government.

Mr Hager says WikiLeaks provides a great public service for journalism and the public by helping to gather and publish leaked materials.

The work of the website is exactly the same as what he and journalists do in New Zealand, but on a global scale and that is made available to journalists, he says.

Media organisations don’t put enough resources into finding hidden sources and getting behind government spin and that is why organisations like WikiLeaks are important, says Mr Hager.

“There is nothing like getting first-hand documents like these.”

WikiLeaks’ critics say some of the information released puts lives at risk.

Mr Hager says this is unsubstantiated propaganda from governments that prefer to keep their secrets from the public.

“Not a single credible example of real risk has been presented and if it existed, we can be sure it would be.”

Although most of the leaks have not concerned New Zealand, Mr Hager says what happens anywhere in the world should matter to New Zealanders.

“We are at war in Afghanistan, have family links with countries… we trade with countries, [we] accept refugees.”

Veteran John Pilger is another investigative journalist voicing support for WikiLeaks and its founder, Julian Assange, now in custody in London facing sex charges.

ASSANGE

Mr Pilger told the City of Westminster Magistrates Court he had a very high regard for Mr Assange as a journalist and personal friend.

Charges against him in Sweden are absurd and were judged as absurd by the chief prosecutor there when she threw the whole thing out – until a senior political figure intervened,” Mr Pilger is reported as saying.

In an interview with The Australian, Mr Assange said his website deserves protection and governments around the world must not “shoot the messenger”.

Democratic societies need a strong media and WikiLeaks is part of that media. The media helps keep government honest.

“The swirling storm around WikiLeaks today reinforces the need to defend the right of all media to reveal the truth.”

http://www.newswire.co.nz/2010/12/wikil ... g-message/
..... back to the primitive .......

www.che-lives.com/forum

www.huon.org rainforest protection in oz

www.savehappyvalley.org.nz

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:48 pm

do you really think they would care about being nice guys? This isn't about rape. If Interpol were really interested in persuing rape cases, they'd be kind of busy in a few other places...
Uncinia vector

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:53 pm

also, what is the story with the girls making the accusations (if indeed there is nothing to them)? - Have they been paid to kick up a storm?

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm

They have both been listed as beneficiaries to CIA funding in Europe.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 pm

I think it's lint.

BigNanaJez

Postby BigNanaJez » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:55 pm

Weren't the girls quoted as saying all they wanted was for him to have an STD test?

Without doubt this guy is being set up.

Without doubt governments are trying to strangle the media.

Without doubt governments are trying to hide the truth.

Bad times.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Good read, cheers Steve.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

arkie

Postby arkie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Good read, cheers Steve.

this thread is now vastly improved.

...still
wish this thread had a better / more imaginative title.

arkie

Postby arkie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 pm

there's the link. argh.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 pm

ImageImage

would

BigNanaJez