Race vs Culture - CAN OF WORMS

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
svpam

Race vs Culture - CAN OF WORMS

Postby svpam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:04 am

Following a brief conversation whilst drinking JACKS the other night: Id like to clarify the issue, hopefully there will be some nice debate following. 0X

It's a very clever thing that some people do: saying there is no difference between race and culture.

Race:
A race is a distinct population of humans distinguished in some way from other humans. The most widely observed races are those based on skin color, facial features, ancestry, genetics

Culture:
The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work.

Racism:
Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person’s social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics.

The debate was basically this - if I had been beaten up by Maoris in school (have been) and assaulted and robbed by them on the street (have been), then I would begin to think "Every Maori with brown skin (who appears Maori) is violent and dangerous". Now, this could be mistrued as racism, as one could say "How can you say every Maori looking person (flat nose, brown skin, tattoos etc) is actually adhereing to the Maori Culture?" The fact is, I dont know that - but what I do know is that a Race breeds a Culture: historically and geographically that is correct. When I see an indian, chances are he is of indian culture. Chances are when you see a Maori he is of Maori culture. Although you can say that "Wait a minute, I know some Muslim Maoris, and a few German Maoris" that may well be so, but on a whole, a persons race will determine his culture.

That said, the numbers of Kiwis that are muslim, or Germans that are Sikhs, I would say is minimal. You would be scrambling in the dark with numbers there. The reason that Race is seen on an equal level as Culture is because it is a Race that (from a specific country or region) breeds and makes that culture, and all of those people generally look the same.

So when a Maori looking person is walking towards me on the street I will automatically say to myself "Shit, change sides". Although that Maori may a bible basher or devout priest, I dare say it. I tend to believe more in facts and figures. Although Maori make up only 14% of the population, they make up almost 50% of the prison population. So I judge people because most of the time, Ill get their culture and race right and it gives me a better chance to run if I am used to violence from that Culture. Is it really the culture that sets Maori off they way they do? Is it their race/ biological make-up?

I deal with Black Power all day so I suppose Im a tad corrupt in this field. Any comments?

Hamtown Dave

Re: Race vs Culture - CAN OF WORMS

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:18 am

Nah, just leave aye.
ONE MAN CREW

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:19 am

Spots?
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:25 am

you want to cross the street when you see a maori walking toward you?
youre just a pussy then.

btw, letting yourself be a victim like that, especially when the other person hasnt even made a overture toward bullying creates the arrogant attitude youre so fuckin afraid of.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:43 am

that's a can of worms that people use to go fishing with.
http://aotearoa666.com/

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:51 am

:lol: nice

i've had more violent encounters with white people than any other group, if i was daft enough to start crossing the road every time i saw one walking towards me i'd probably get hit by a car pretty quick. still that would be natural selection in action so all good really
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:51 am

How can you say every Maori looking person (flat nose, brown skin, tattoos etc)

hmm look at that person... flat nose CHECK, brown skin CHECK tattoos CHECK. IT'S A MAORI.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:01 am

svpam wrote:then I would begin to think "Every Maori with brown skin (who appears Maori) is violent and dangerous". Now, this could be mistrued as racism

If race breeds culture, then it's not misconstrued. If you discriminate against a culture, it's just as racist. Believing stereotypes isn't racist though, it depends how you act on them.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:14 am

what about maoris with white skin?
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

svpam

Postby svpam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:30 am

letting yourself be a victim like that, especially when the other person hasnt even made a overture toward bullying creates the arrogant attitude youre so fuckin afraid of.

Although specific people may not be violent in a culture/race such as Maori, seeing one brings up that stereotype. When I see a Pitbull, I tend to be cautious of it, although that specific dog may not have attacked me, Pitbulls are known for violence and I would still cross the street to avoid one. Survival of the smartest I suppose.

i've had more violent encounters with white people than any other group, if i was daft enough to start crossing the road every time i saw one walking towards me i'd probably get hit by a car pretty quick. still that would be natural selection in action so all good really

Depends on what white culture you are eluding to, Italian? Kiwi? English? Irish? American?... Safe to say if you have had more violent encounters with white people of a specific culture, then you would excersise caution in relation to them.

hmm look at that person... flat nose CHECK, brown skin CHECK tattoos CHECK. IT'S A MAORI

http://www.google.co.nz/images?hl=en&so ... =&gs_rfai=

If race breeds culture, then it's not misconstrued. If you discriminate against a culture, it's just as racist. Believing stereotypes isn't racist though, it depends how you act on them.

So if I was to believe all Asians smell like egg and cant drive well (as a sterotype) how is that not racist? Discriminating against a culture is not racist. For example lets say an American was to say something discrimatory against a French person. They are both white, so you could hardly call that racist. Its more xenophobic..........

what about maoris with white skin?

I dealt with a black power member the other day, white as the driven snow. what about them?

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 am

akaxo wrote::lol: nice

in New Plymouth this scrawny little white guy tried to start a fight with me cos i was 'the only maori who liked this kind of music' and so i obviously didn't belong there. At a Black Chrome/Cyclotrode X show.
I don't get it - if he doesn't like brown people being there, why doesn't he get out of my country?

:lol:

but I've had more violent encounters with white people too, usually cos of situations like the above.
http://aotearoa666.com/

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:39 am

xSUSPECTx wrote:you want to cross the street when you see a maori walking toward you?
youre just a pussy then.

Hard. Man up dick head. My 60 year old white Mum spends most of her day with mungies and homeless Maori. The only time she's had any problems was when a white women tried to attack her with a knife, thankfully one of those "violent" Maori protected her. Its people like you that are whats wrong with our society.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

svpam

Postby svpam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:46 am

Head of State, Elizabeth II, Queen of New Zealand. Her country. See link for definition

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&so ... =&gs_rfai=

Hard. Man up dick head. My 60 year old white Mum spends most of her day with mungies and homeless Maori. The only time she's had any problems was when a white women tried to attack her with a knife, thankfully one of those "violent" Maori protected her. Its people like you that are whats wrong with our society

Dont try and use a small event of some unknown lady stabbing at your mom, then Maori come riding in on horseback and shining armour. See link below. I spend all my time enforcing the law, and have been attacked twice by people that identify themselves with being Maori. All think they have some form of entitlement.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/ministry-of-j ... d=10352444

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:50 am

maybe they attacked you cos youre a racist douche?
personally ive had about 50% of my violent encounters with maori, but then i tend to hang out with quite a few maori so i guess its not that surprising.
svpam wrote:
letting yourself be a victim like that, especially when the other person hasnt even made a overture toward bullying creates the arrogant attitude youre so fuckin afraid of.

Although specific people may not be violent in a culture/race such as Maori, seeing one brings up that stereotype. When I see a Pitbull, I tend to be cautious of it, although that specific dog may not have attacked me, Pitbulls are known for violence and I would still cross the street to avoid one. Survival of the smartest I suppose.

lol, youre shallow and stupid, you know about as much about dogs as you do about people and thats not much.
ive seen you describe yourself as 'smart' at least twice, but you are very ignorant and you have made some pretty unintelligent conclusions based on what little knowledge you do have.

i hope jay doesnt ban you, you make me look good by comparison.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:53 am

So is this guy a pig or a rent a cop?
fagets, right.

svpam

Postby svpam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:55 am

And all you are about is constant attack with little defence. You have failed to make intelligent conversation and have simply shrugged my debate off as "shallow and stupid". You seem to judge a person from a post he makes online, which is quite ignorant. Whoever this Jay character is, I hope he does ban me. At least then we can say that people like you and him go around online trying to force your opinions on others calling them names to try and make them feel little, and if all else fails you run to your leader (or furher..lol) and get him to supress all opposition by "banning" them.

It sounds unfair and dum.

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:55 am

My guess is rent a cop.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

svpam

Postby svpam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 am

we will leave it at rent-a-cop for now.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 am

Figures.
fagets, right.

Craig_Bastard

Postby Craig_Bastard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:58 am

svpam wrote: You seem to judge a person from a post he makes online, which is quite ignorant.

You judge a person on the colour of their skin, which is very ignorant. Hows all that street crossing going for ya?
http://thestungrenades.bandcamp.com
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

Craig_Bastard

Postby Craig_Bastard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 am

svpam wrote:That said, the numbers of Kiwis that are muslim, or Germans that are Sikhs, I would say is minimal. You would be scrambling in the dark with numbers there.

Im sure you could find the number from the results of any given census.
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

Hipster_Faggot

Postby Hipster_Faggot » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:59 am

Wow, I never considered that the negative effects of the racialization process were actually caused by Maori Culture itself. All this time my Sociology lecturer was wanking on about the Pakeha hegemony repressing Maori culture, when the Maori culture has actually managed to thrive and corrupt the young who would otherwise thrive if they were socialized in the exact same way Pakeha are.

Ka pai mate, you have opened my eyes.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 pm

probably a screw

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:04 pm

Sounds right.
fagets, right.

svpam

Postby svpam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 pm

You judge a person on the colour of their skin, which is very ignorant. Hows all that street crossing going for ya?

I judge them from their skin because their race often suggests their culture, and some cultures are more violent than others. Please go back and read my dog post.

correct. changing rapidly now as people can leave their countrys quite easily. most still clinging onto their old countrys cultures however lol.

Wow, I never considered that the negative effects of the racialization process were actually caused by Maori Culture itself. All this time my Sociology lecturer was wanking on about the Pakeha hegemony repressing Maori culture, when the Maori culture has actually managed to thrive and corrupt the young who would otherwise thrive if they were socialized in the exact same way Pakeha are.

Ka pai mate, you have opened my eyes.

To a certain point. Just dont forget that we should all feel sorry for the Maori and their repression.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:11 pm

your 'dog post' actually illustrated a bit more than you meant it to, since pitbulls are unfairly demonised and are in most cases friendly dogs who are especially good around children, their rep comes from the facts that they dont bark or otherwise warn you explicitly before attacking, and are often mistreated and trained to fight.
fox terriers and poodles are responsible for far more attacks on people and other dogs, and unlike the pitbull the poodle was actually bred for dogfighting.

so your metaphor really was appropriate since you hold similar misconceptions about humans, and are a giant faggot.

Craig_Bastard

Postby Craig_Bastard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:17 pm

svpam wrote:

I judge them from their skin because their race often suggests their culture, and some cultures are more violent than others. Please go back and read my dog post.

White people have been waging war for thousands of years, bet you dont even go to family reunions eh?

correct. changing rapidly now as people can leave their countrys quite easily. most still clinging onto their old countrys cultures however lol.[/quote]

Which is the purpose of a census, to get accurate information about the changing nature of our society, not sensationalist bullshit you hear on talkback radio.

And also if they are "clinging onto their old countrys cultures" what makes it ok for white people to have done it, but not anyone else?

So what are you employed as?
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

svpam

Postby svpam » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:21 pm

Im on the dole. I sit around and drink beer and bludge off the government. Working is for arseholes. And I think my pitbull comment was good. Pitbulls were bred for fighting, where as poodles were bred for toy shows and a household pet. It is true however to say that a pitbull can be a good household pet - but the fact is they are pre-disposed to violence as they were bred and brought up that way, and taught that way. Similar to the Maori. Troll.

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Geezis. Have you ever associated with someone from a different culture/race outside of your demented job?

Craig_Bastard

Postby Craig_Bastard » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:25 pm

wow, just. wow.

hang on...

na,

jesus christ we are all doomed.
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Return to “Current Affairs”