Mexico Sea Floor Fractured “Beyond Repair"

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
the croc

Mexico Sea Floor Fractured “Beyond Repair"

Postby the croc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Scientists Warn Gulf Of Mexico Sea Floor Fractured “Beyond Repair”

A dire report circulating in the Kremlin today that was prepared for Prime Minister Putin by Anatoly Sagalevich of Russia's Shirshov Institute of Oceanology warns that the Gulf of Mexico sea floor has been fractured “beyond all repair” and our World should begin preparing for an ecological disaster “beyond comprehension” unless “extraordinary measures” are undertaken to stop the massive flow of oil into our Planet’s eleventh largest body of water.

Most important to note about Sagalevich’s warning is that he and his fellow scientists from the Russian Academy of Sciences are the only human beings to have actually been to the Gulf of Mexico oil leak site after their being called to the disaster scene by British oil giant BP shortly after the April 22nd sinking of the Deepwater Horizon oil platform.

BP’s calling on Sagalevich after this catastrophe began is due to his being the holder of the World’s record for the deepest freshwater dive and his expertise with Russia’s two Deep Submergence Vehicles MIR 1 and MIR 2 [photo 2nd left] which are able to take their crews to the depth of 6,000 meters (19,685 ft).

According to Sagalevich’s report, the oil leaking into the Gulf of Mexico is not just coming from the 22 inch well bore site being shown on American television, but from at least 18 other sites on the “fractured seafloor” with the largest being nearly 11 kilometers (7 miles) from where the Deepwater Horizon sank and is spewing into these precious waters an estimated 2 million gallons of oil a day.

Interesting to note in this report is Sagalevich stating that he and the other Russian scientists were required by the United States to sign documents forbidding them to report their findings to either the American public or media, and which they had to do in order to legally operate in US territorial waters.

However, Sagalevich says that he and the other scientists gave nearly hourly updates to both US government and BP officials about what they were seeing on the sea floor, including the US Senator from their State of Florida Bill Nelson who after one such briefing stated to the MSNBC news service “Andrea we’re looking into something new right now, that there’s reports of oil that’s seeping up from the seabed… which would indicate, if that’s true, that the well casing itself is actually pierced… underneath the seabed. So, you know, the problems could be just enormous with what we’re facing.”

Though not directly stated in Sagalevich’s report, Russian scientists findings on the true state of the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster are beyond doubt being leaked to his longtime friend, and former US President George W. Bush’s top energy advisor Matthew Simmons, who US media reports state has openly said: “Matthew Simmons is sticking by his story that there's another giant leak in the Gulf of Mexico blowing massive amounts of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. On CNBC's Fast Money, he says he'd be surprised if BP lasted this summer, saying this is disaster is entirely BP's fault.”

As a prominent oil-industry insider, and one of the World's leading experts on peak oil, Simmons further warns that the US has only two options, “let the well run dry (taking 30 years, and probably ruining the Atlantic ocean) or nuking the well.”

Obama’s government, on the other hand, has stated that a nuclear option for ending this catastrophe is not being discussed, but which brings him into conflict with both Russian and American experts advocating such an extreme measure before all is lost, and as we can read as reported by Britain’s Telegraph News Service:

“The former Soviet Union (U.S.S.R.) used nuclear weapons on five separate occasions between 1966 and 1981 to successfully cap blown-out gas and oil surface wells (there was also one attempt that failed), which have been documented in a U.S. Department of Energy report on the U.S.S.R.'s peaceful uses of nuclear explosions.

Russia is now urging the United States to consider doing the same. Komsomoloskaya Pravda, the best-selling Russian daily newspaper, asserts that although based on Soviet experience there's a one-in-five chance a nuke might not seal the well, it's "a gamble the Americans could certainly risk."

Reportedly, the U.S.S.R. developed special nuclear devices explicitly for closing blown-out gas wells, theorizing that the blast from a nuclear detonation would plug any hole within 25 to 50 meters, depending on the device's power. Much as I had idly imagined, massive explosions can be employed to collapse a runaway well on itself, thus plugging, or at least substantially stanching, the flow of oil.

“Seafloor nuclear detonation is starting to sound surprisingly feasible and appropriate," University of Texas at Austin mechanical engineer Michael E. Webber is quoted observing, while Columbia University visiting scholar on nuclear policy and former naval officer Christopher Brownfield wrote in the Daily Beast: "We should have demolished this well with explosives over a month ago. And yet we watch in excruciating suspense while BP fumbles through plan after plan to recover its oil and cover its asset.”

As to the reason for Obama’s government refusing to consider nuking this oil well, Sagalevich states in this report that the American’s “main concern” is not the environmental catastrophe this disaster is causing, but rather what the impact of using a nuclear weapon to stop this leak would have on the continued production of oil from the Gulf of Mexico, and which in an energy starved World remains the Planet’s only oil producing region able to increase its production.

On top of the environmental catastrophe currently unfolding in the Gulf of Mexico the situation may about to get even worse as new reports from the US are confirming the grim predictions of Russian scientists regarding the oil dispersement poisons being used by BP which are being swept up into the clouds and falling as toxic rain destroying every living plant it touches, and as we had detailed in our May 23rd report titled “Toxic Oil Spill Rains Warned Could Destroy North America”

To what the final outcome of this catastrophe will be it is not in our knowing other than to state the obvious that the choice facing the American’s today is to either stop this disaster now, by any means, or pay dearly for it later. After all, is cheap petrol really worth the cost of destroying our own Earth? BP surely thinks so, let’s keep hoping Obama doesn’t.

http://www.thelibertyblog.net/2010/06/s ... o-sea.html

Not good. Not good at all :(
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Re: Mexico Sea Floor Fractured “Beyond Repair"

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:53 pm

fuck thats the kind of endtimes shit thatd make you wanna believe in god
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

the croc

Postby the croc » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:56 pm

Everyone will be dressed like this by next week

rebecca666

Postby rebecca666 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 pm

i couldnt be bothered reading all that. but from what i can gather were fucked.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:36 pm

Interesting read.

What's worse is the effect it has on our own potential oil production.
I think it's lint.

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:29 am

Red_switch wrote:Interesting read.

How the fuck is that worse than turning the Gulf into a giant dead zone and acid rain destroying most of North America potentially displacing hundreds of millions of people and thus destroying the largest superpower on the planet?

Ye gods.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:32 am

When nuking is the best option, you've definitely got a fascinating situation on your hands. Time for more popcorn.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Hipster Faggot

Postby Hipster Faggot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:55 am

the croc wrote:

How the fuck is that worse than turning the Gulf into a giant dead zone and acid rain destroying most of North America potentially displacing hundreds of millions of people and thus destroying the largest superpower on the planet?

Ye gods.

I reckon that last part could be awesome, just so we can get something fresh to hate.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:51 am

the croc wrote:Image

there's a fair few people down here who've got a bit of a head start on that one
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:37 am

the croc wrote:

Ye gods.

Yea nah you're right. But what we have in the great south basin is potentially a silver bullet for NZ (if managed properly, state control I reckon). This is occurring effectively and without incident around the world, the gulf situation is purely a result of slack regulation allowing the drillers to cut corners big time
I think it's lint.

Dan Ashcroft

Postby Dan Ashcroft » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:13 am

Article needs more detail. The links suggest that they don't actually know yet if the separate leaks are due to a blockage a thousand feet down creating pressure and forcing oil through, and if so whether or not relief wells will alleviate it. There's no indication that the seabed is about to crumble away Guatemala Pit style just yet.
Either way, the coastal waterways around Texas especially are gonna be fucked, but I don't know if we need to nuke the seabed just yet, however fun it might be.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:22 am

i think opening a new oil well here just off the coast is a brilliant idea in light of the mexican gulf oil well threatening to destroy the entire atlantic
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 am

Dan Ashcroft wrote:Article needs more detail. The links suggest that they don't actually know yet if the separate leaks are due to a blockage a thousand feet down creating pressure and forcing oil through, and if so whether or not relief wells will alleviate it. There's no indication that the seabed is about to crumble away Guatemala Pit style just yet.
Either way, the coastal waterways around Texas especially are gonna be fucked, but I don't know if we need to nuke the seabed just yet, however fun it might be.

It's quite possible that some of the fractures are entirely natural, an unfortunate coincidence, but oil seepages occur all over the place, some of them release huge amounts of oil every day.

There are a couple of small seepages around the Fiordland coast.

Phil, that's like saying nuclear power should be shelved completely because of chernobyl.
I think it's lint.

norty

Postby norty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 am

Despite just learning that we're all "doomed", the thing that puzzles me most about this thread is why Max had such a gay dog?

"Alternative news for free minds" - fuk off. Hippies trying to shit stir

The best way to prevent this from happening again is if EVERYONE starts stealing petrol then theyll be forced to invent new shit

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 am

Finding new transportation fuels is the easy part. Oil is about more than petrol/diesel though.
I think it's lint.

Dan Ashcroft

Postby Dan Ashcroft » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:57 am

xSUSPECTx wrote:i think opening a new oil well here just off the coast is a brilliant idea in light of the mexican gulf oil well threatening to destroy the entire atlantic

I thought you a little more skeptical than to assume that the Atlantic is under threat due to a poorly written article which doesn't cite much evidence of its claims, and doesn't explain how such dire conclusions flow from the author's unproven assertions.
Still, given that we have a government which seems very comfortable with giving big business free hand, I am concerned that now is not a good time for NZ to grant drilling rights. After all, this incident in the Gulf of Mexico is the result of lax oversight and low safety requirements, and a sense of complacency arising from the fact that anyone in Government or Judiciary who might be looking into it had their stock portfolios to consider.

Fadge.

Postby Fadge. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:59 am

2012 big time.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:11 am

Dan Ashcroft wrote:
xSUSPECTx wrote:i think opening a new oil well here just off the coast is a brilliant idea in light of the mexican gulf oil well threatening to destroy the entire atlantic

I thought you a little more skeptical than to assume that the Atlantic is under threat due to a poorly written article which doesn't cite much evidence of its claims, and doesn't explain how such dire conclusions flow from the author's unproven assertions.
Still, given that we have a government which seems very comfortable with giving big business free hand, I am concerned that now is not a good time for NZ to grant drilling rights. After all, this incident in the Gulf of Mexico is the result of lax oversight and low safety requirements, and a sense of complacency arising from the fact that anyone in Government or Judiciary who might be looking into it had their stock portfolios to consider.

If we did the oil thing properly (a la Norway) we could easily surpass the living standards of Australia, that Key and his cronies so love to clap on about, in fact, we could set ourselves up very well indeed. But National would never act in the ways necessary to ensure such an outcome. Pity really. All it really shows is that they really don't actually give a shit about the people of NZ.
I think it's lint.

Fadge.

Postby Fadge. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:14 am

aww nah man johnny loves us. cant you see it in his lovely eyes and beautiful smile?

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:22 am

I wanna sniff that cast he had
I think it's lint.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:31 am

Red_switch wrote:Phil, that's like saying nuclear power should be shelved completely because of chernobyl.

do you know what our countries nuclear stance is?

but my opposition to oil drilling isnt just based on the gulf of mexico disaster, but i think that alone should preclude even considering the idea, do you have any idea of the magnitude of the impact that disaster would have here?
if we started getting acid rain we would probably have to evacuate the whole fucking country, and you want to risk that so you can buy a new snowboard?

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:40 am

akaxo wrote:<span>
the croc wrote:[img]<a%20class="smarterwiki-linkify"%20href="http://chapmanchapman.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mad-max.jpg[/img]">http://chapmanchapman.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mad-max.jpg[/img]</a></span>

there's a fair few people down here who've got a bit of a head start on that one

Ha yeah from recent news reports it seems like Christchurch went post-Apocalytpic a while ago.

After a little research it would appear that the acid rain connection from Corexit 9500 is bunk. This article here shows the crop damage the OG article was relating to. There seems to have been some kind of accident at a local Dupont Chemical Plant which caused the damage which is detailed here. So still acid rain, but from a different source.

And still, the gulf appears to be pretty much fucked.

InkedScot

Postby InkedScot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:40 am

As interesting as that article is I haven't found a single CREDIBLE news source commenting on it, all I've found are blogs, rumor mills and pseudo news like infowars. Pardon me if I don't take facebook seriously as hardcore journalism.

norty

Postby norty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am

InkedScot wrote:As interesting as that article is I haven't found a single CREDIBLE news source commenting on it, all I've found are blogs, rumor mills and pseudo news like infowars. Pardon me if I don't take facebook seriously as hardcore journalism.

exactly

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:48 am

xSUSPECTx wrote:
Red_switch wrote:Phil, that's like saying nuclear power should be shelved completely because of chernobyl.

do you know what our countries nuclear stance is?

but my opposition to oil drilling isnt just based on the gulf of mexico disaster, but i think that alone should preclude even considering the idea, do you have any idea of the magnitude of the impact that disaster would have here?
if we started getting acid rain we would probably have to evacuate the whole fucking country, and you want to risk that so you can buy a new snowboard?

Yea, we'd rather not have nuclear ships entering our ports.

The gulf disaster was COMPLETELY preventable. This does not happen regularly at all, and in regions where this activity is regulated and carried out properly, it doesn't happen eh.

Acid rain already occurs here from time to time, certainly not as bad as in Eastern Europe etc. But like croc has pointed out, it seems unlikely that the acid rain has been caused by dispersant - which did seem a bit of a stretch.

Yea, I'd like a new snowboard, thrashed mine pretty decently the other weekend.

Anyone see the two kiwi jokers who have come up with a potential solution based on the old slinky?
I think it's lint.

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Red_switch wrote:The gulf disaster was COMPLETELY preventable. This does not happen regularly at all, and in regions where this activity is regulated and carried out properly, it doesn't happen eh.

You mean the last five times Russians used nukes to close off broken wells?

An InkedScot and norty I tend to agree after looking into it a bit more. Some bizarre links off that article.

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:30 pm

I think the other odd thing about this story is the story below which says that the Russians were never in the Gulf of Mexico:

BP calls for Russian mini-subs to tackle oil spill - paper

07/06/2010

The British oil giant BP wants Russian mini-subs to help in eliminating the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, Izvestia daily said on Monday.

Anatoly Sagalevich of Russia's Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, which owns the Mir submersibles, was quoted as saying that talks with BP officials had started soon after the accident.

The leak started more than six weeks ago following an explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oil drilling platform that killed 11 rig workers. An estimated 12,000-19,000 barrels gush up daily from the seabed, posing a major threat to the Gulf of Mexico's flora and fauna.

BP, the owner of the rig about 80 kilometers (50 miles) off the Louisiana coast, has tried with little success to stem the flow of oil. It says it is now managing to gather about 10,000 barrels of oil a day using a special plugging device attached to the head of the drill to siphon oil up to surface ships.

Sagalevich told the Izvestia daily the Mir mini-subs could stop the leakage, but it would take some time.
Sagalevich said the Mirs would be the most effective since they are operated by people on board rather than remotely, allowing for a more thorough investigation.

"Visual research by specialists is very important, regardless of the fact that more than 50 remote-controlled underwater robots are working at the scene of the accident delivering the images from the seabed to the surface," the paper quoted the researcher as saying.

He added, however, that the depths involved could hinder the submersibles' operation.
Last week the U.S. filmmaker James Cameron suggested to BP that Russian mini-subs Mir help to tackle oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but the oil major rejected the idea.

Cameron, the director of the two highest-grossing films of all time, Avatar and Titanic, worked with the Mir mini-subs while filming in the latter 1997. The advanced deep-water equipment, used during an expedition to the sunken liner, helped to film the ship's destroyed interiors and provided the movie with more authentic sets.

Explaining BP's dismissal, Sagalevich said last week that "we are Russians, and if we go to the Gulf of Mexico with Mirs and do something there, the Americans would be appalled."
MOSCOW, June 7 (RIA Novosti)

http://en.rian.ru/Environment/20100607/159329861.html

Hipster Faggot

Postby Hipster Faggot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm

norty wrote:The best way to prevent this from happening again is if EVERYONE starts stealing petrol then theyll be forced to invent new shit

What an ideas man, how do you suggest getting EVERYONE to do this?

norty

Postby norty » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Hipster Faggot wrote:
norty wrote:The best way to prevent this from happening again is if EVERYONE starts stealing petrol then theyll be forced to invent new shit

What an ideas man, how do you suggest getting EVERYONE to do this?

yeah i fucked up. They sell pies and shit too, would have to also steal those. And to get people to do this you just need to tag circle As everywhere cos thats how hardout anarchy happens

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:50 pm

the croc wrote:
Red_switch wrote:The gulf disaster was COMPLETELY preventable. This does not happen regularly at all, and in regions where this activity is regulated and carried out properly, it doesn't happen eh.

You mean the last five times Russians used nukes to close off broken wells?

An InkedScot and norty I tend to agree after looking into it a bit more. Some bizarre links off that article.

Ah ha, note that the russians are notorious for running these things badly and cheaply and cutting corners on maintenance.
I think it's lint.

Return to “Current Affairs”