Govt Bans All Smoking In Prisons

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Denim Druid

Re: Govt Bans All Smoking In Prisons

Postby Denim Druid » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:31 pm

let Mr Key go in there & manage them while their forced to give up, that would be reality tv worth watching

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:45 pm

xSUSPECTx wrote:haha of course YOU asked

Says the guy who mysteriously knew the marital status of "Little Miss Two Shoes" :lol:
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:48 pm

him?
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:52 pm

xSUSPECTx wrote:they dont really worry about that

They probably should. Forced second-hand smoke is basically corporal punishment. Doesn't mean they need to ban smoking entirely though...
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:25 am

ghetto ninja wrote:
xSUSPECTx wrote:haha of course YOU asked

Says the guy who mysteriously knew the marital status of "Little Miss Two Shoes" :lol:

hah, didnt see this, she mentioned her husband a few times.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:14 pm

this is really worth listening to. interview with Peter Williams QC, and GC, on this

http://www.95bfm.com/assets/sm/196145/3 ... risons.mp3
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

tyrannosaurus mark

Postby tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Smoking rehab sounds like a positive thing to have in prisons. Smoking is a pretty grey area in terms of civil liberty, shit makes you sick and you can't afford the medical bill by yourself.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:22 pm

interesting that when the same thing was tried in canada their supreme court ruled that the corrections dept had no legal right to stop prisoners smoking. i also like how peter williams says that this will likely be popular with voters, just like hanging and flogging children used to be when our govt did that to youth offenders, as it appeals of vengeful blood lust for punishment over rehabilitation

tyrannosaurus mark

Postby tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:24 pm

But also interesting because it will appeal to people at various points over the political spectrum. I feel like there's a whole bunch of disagreement with it on here because a bunch of you guys smoke or something. Also because John Key is a douchbag

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Funding nicotine patches is something non-smokers should be against.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:35 pm

ha yeah john key is a douchebag, to put it mildly, and i have no love lost for judith collins. but am a reformed ex-smoker with no love for tobacco either and especially not for the people who get rich off selling it. i just get a bit fucked off at people lumping prisoners in to one group, assuming they're all scumbags, should have no rights and be subject to all sorts of draconian punishments.

this policy reeks of yet another case of a right wing government kicking people when they're down and making their lives more miserable just for the sake of making political gains. it's a pointless policy with far more negatives than positives and any objective cost/benefit analysis would, imo, show that. but governments aren't rational beasts when it comes to making policy so it will likely go ahead despite the costs to peoples lives (prisoners and screws alike) because it makes national look good to the redneck element of new zealands middle class, who are the important sector of society to appeal to in order to win elections.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:38 pm

Phlegm wrote:Funding nicotine patches is something non-smokers should be against.

sorry but that makes no sense. funding patches is cheaper for society than funding all the health costs of continued smoking. funding patches is probably an example of a policy that is a win-win for smokers and non-smokers alike

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:40 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:But also interesting because it will appeal to people at various points over the political spectrum. I feel like there's a whole bunch of disagreement with it on here because a bunch of you guys smoke or something. Also because John Key is a douchbag

I've never been a smoker and don't care for it much. My main disagreement with this is that the main reasons for banning seem really petty. I would say the same if any of the political parties proposed it, I'm not much of one for partisan politics. I don't think banning things is the answer to much in this world.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

melpomene

Postby melpomene » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:52 pm

akaxo wrote:ha yeah john key is a douchebag, to put it mildly, and i have no love lost for judith collins. but am a reformed ex-smoker with no love for tobacco either and especially not for the people who get rich off selling it. i just get a bit fucked off at people lumping prisoners in to one group, assuming they're all scumbags, should have no rights and be subject to all sorts of draconian punishments.

this policy reeks of yet another case of a right wing government kicking people when they're down and making their lives more miserable just for the sake of making political gains. it's a pointless policy with far more negatives than positives and any objective cost/benefit analysis would, imo, show that. but governments aren't rational beasts when it comes to making policy so it will likely go ahead despite the costs to peoples lives (prisoners and screws alike) because it makes national look good to the redneck element of new zealands middle class, who are the important sector of society to appeal to in order to win elections.

Fucking bang on mate. Vote grabbing by a bigoted wankers who think its great to make those "scumbag prisnors" have as worse a time of it as possible.

Not all people in prison are subhuman. Granted, there are plenty who are raping kiddy fiddling cunts, but there's heaps more that are just normal people. Anyone on this forum could end up in prison either falsley accused, in a situation that got out of hand or maybe in a vehicle accident, there's plenty of ways.

Anyway all im saying is just because you're a prisinor, doesn't mean you become a shitbag to be kicked about by some tory wanker in order to look tough on crime and get some votes in.

Some of these dudes are locked in a room for 23 hours a day, i think we should be able to spare them a fucking durry. Even more of them are fucking troubled people with major issues to work through. Think of some of the females in prison (i think the smoking rate amongst female prisnors is around 80%) and the shit they've got on their back. taking away smoking is puritanical nonsense.

The whole OSH pretense is just a bullshit way of getting support from dim witted arseholes who think they're saving lives when half the fucking gaurds amoke anyway.
If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot prevent us and because we are backing our own side in the struggle for existence, it is only logical to cut up imbeciles, criminals, enemies, or capitalists for the same reasons.
--C. S. Lewis (novelist and essayist)

"What I think about vivisection is that if people admit that they have the right to take or endanger the life of living beings for the benefit of many, there will be no limit to their cruelty."
--Leo Tolstoy, author

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:54 pm

How about we compile a list of everyone who's ever called Leighton Smith or Michael Laws and gas them all like badgers. We'd all be better off.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:57 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:But also interesting because it will appeal to people at various points over the political spectrum. I feel like there's a whole bunch of disagreement with it on here because a bunch of you guys smoke or something. Also because John Key is a douchbag

i actually think all smoking should be banned, and ive recently given up, but that isnt what this is about at all, its just an appeal to redneck fuckos to make them feel good cos its illegal to hate niggers and gays and most people just cant seem to get thru life without making somebody elses miserable.

fucks sake.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Make the prisoners work for it. Let them to cultivate their own tobacco.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

tyrannosaurus mark

Postby tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:39 pm

xSUSPECTx wrote:

i actually think all smoking should be banned, and ive recently given up, but that isnt what this is about at all, its just an appeal to redneck fuckos to make them feel good cos its illegal to hate niggers and gays and most people just cant seem to get thru life without making somebody elses miserable.

fucks sake.

I agree that the implied intention is disturbing, but that perhaps the result will not be all negetive

Dan Ashcroft

Postby Dan Ashcroft » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Whether any good comes of this or not is entirely inadvertent to the agenda of spiteful, beady eyed Tories who feel great knowing that Leighton and Michael will agree.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 pm

its disturbs me that our society has such a deeply entrenched pecking order that even tho society has turned against racism, sexism and homophobia to a large extent, most people are still not just comfortable with, but active supporters of that pecking to the extent that any excuse to spit on a lower member of said society is gleefully seized and acted upon whenever importunity is granted by our sick culture.

martyrdamn

Postby martyrdamn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:11 pm

xSUSPECTx wrote:its disturbs me that our society has such a deeply entrenched pecking order that even tho society has turned against racism, sexism and homophobia to a large extent, most people are still not just comfortable with, but active supporters of that pecking to the extent that any excuse to spit on a lower member of said society is gleefully seized and acted upon whenever importunity is granted by our sick culture.

agreed. i was in at the howard league today talking to their prisoner advocate, interestingly this comes just after the dept. of corrections has banned prisoners from subscribing to newspapers / magazines. obviously the effect will be far worse from pretty much all perspectives, though. no one gives a shit about prisoners, and they care even less about how people end up there.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm

they have also recently changed the rules about TVs and radios, making both unavailable to many prisoners, and harder to get for anyone coming in, you used to be allowed playstations and suchlike, but thats long gone.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:43 pm

I thought it was like a legal right to be able to receive information, or something along those lines. You should be allowed to subscribe to the paper at least?

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:42 am

pretty sure you cant

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 am

martyrdamn wrote:i was in at the howard league today talking to their prisoner advocate, interestingly this comes just after the dept. of corrections has banned prisoners from subscribing to newspapers / magazines.

for fucks sake. did not know this. can think of no good reason for it. don't people realise that if you want to get tough on "law and order" it should be tackled at the cause of the problem not by further punishing and taking away the rights of people who have already committed crimes. really want to stop crime? try and remove the causes and rehabilitate offenders.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 am

prison is a business, its not in their interests to rehabilitate offenders.
why are people pretending this isnt the case, got shit for brains??

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 am

not quite a business yet but they're certainly gearing it up to be and will be soon enough when privately run prisons open up

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 am

our whole country is run as a business, theres a lot of people with a lot of high salaries who have a lot of say in how these things are run.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:22 am

with John Key as CEO of NZ Inc.

tyrannosaurus mark

Postby tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:36 am

You guys should write a conspiracy theories website about it, chuck some lizard men in there too, really alienate the majority of interested people.

Return to “Current Affairs”