the No Suicide clause at Apple factory

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
xsfat

the No Suicide clause at Apple factory

Postby xsfat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:12 am

There has been a string of suicides in Foxconn, an outsourced manufacturing company that churn out electronics on behalf of Apple etc
Some genius at their HR department must have came up with the following solution - http://gawker.com/5548195/heres-the-app ... ide-pledge
If suicide can be fixed by contract, then this should also apply to homocide? How about a "won't go postal while in office" clause?
Workers employed by Foxconn, which manufactures Apple's digital devices, pledge not to commit suicide and to seek medical help if necessary, in a mental or physical hospital ... They also apparently promise to report any strange behavior on the part of their co-workers ... The pledge seems a bizarre attempt at damage control. Foxconn just had its 11th worker suicide of the year and has begun to hang nets around factories to stop people from throwing themselves off buildings

Rough translation -
1. I will (from today forward) contact "employee care center" (or similar) if I have problems at work or in life, so I would be able to receive support and resolution.

2. I shall be responsible for my own actions, if I encounter major issues or obstacles in life I will contact my family for support and resolution, or ask my peers or Human Resources to intervene and foster communications. I shall be forbidden to hurt myself or others; I shall agree to the company standard of protecting the health of myself and others, and to report myself or those with mental or physical issues to the proper medical authorities.

3. If hurt in any accident (including suicide and self mutilation) due to non-work related incidents, I agree to have the issue resolved by the police based on current laws. I myself or my family absolutely cannot sue the company. Further, we agree to not do anything that would cause further damage to the company reputation or affect the normal operation of the company in any way.

http://english.cntv.cn/program/china24/ ... 0699.shtml
The letter of consent is divided into two parts. The part above the dotted line is a reminder which says the company's support hotline is always there if any employee need counseling. It also promises a bonus for those who give information and tip-off company management about workers behaving erratically. The part below the dotted line is a disclaimer where workers are required to sign. It reads

"Should any unnatural death arise in which Foxconn cannot be held accountable, including suicides and self-mutilation, I hereby agree to hand over the case to the company's legal and regulatory procedures. I myself and my family members will not ask the company to provide excessive compensation outside the legal framework so that the reputation of the firm remains untainted and its operation remains stable.

Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Re: the No Suicide clause at Apple factory

Postby Dan Last » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:06 am

nice work steve and co. problem solved!
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:28 am

Hmmm... I guess the spin that article and translation put on it make it seem a bit shit... basically trying to cover the companies ass if employees top themselves. But if it's actually one part of a broader policy push to look after the mental and emotional well-being of their staff then it could be ok, albeit late.
ONE MAN CREW

loucke = shit

Postby loucke = shit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:48 pm

I doubt that foxconn (apple, anyone else using these types of factories) will do anything to help the workers they exploit in China and Taiwan or any other third world nations where they have extended their outsourcing of cheap labour to.

the clause is simply to get the bosses who lock these workers in the factories every night off scott free.

suicide probably seems like a great option over another day of beatings, rape and 5000 transistors.
Drop out of school, and get a drug habit.

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:20 pm

i wonder how many rapes went into my shiny new imac?

general

Postby general » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm

2. I shall be responsible for my own actions, if I encounter major issues or obstacles in life I will contact my family for support and resolution, or ask my peers or Human Resources to intervene and foster communications. I shall be forbidden to hurt myself or others; I shall agree to the company standard of protecting the health of myself and others, and to report myself or those with mental or physical issues to the proper medical authorities.

The first sentence doesn't make sense due to the comma. And what's the semi-colon doing in the second sentence where a full stop should be? First point of order should be sending the Morans in HR on a remedial English course.

Return to “Current Affairs”