Scientists create artificial meat

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Dead Kid

Scientists create artificial meat

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:48 pm

http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/11 ... icial-Meat
The Telegraph reports that scientists have created the first artificial meat by extracting cells from the muscle of a live pig and putting them in a broth of other animal products where the cells then multiplied to create muscle tissue. Described as soggy pork, researchers believe that it can be turned into something like steak if they can find a way to 'exercise' the muscle and while no one has yet tasted the artificial meat, researchers believe the breakthrough could lead to sausages and other processed products being made from laboratory meat in as little as five years time. '"What we have at the moment is rather like wasted muscle tissue. We need to find ways of improving it by training it and stretching it, but we will get there," says Mark Post, professor of physiology at Eindhoven University. "You could take the meat from one animal and create the volume of meat previously provided by a million animals." Animal rights group Peta has welcomed the laboratory grown meat announcing that "as far as we're concerned, if meat is no longer a piece of a dead animal there's no ethical objection while the Vegetarian Society remained skeptical. "The big question is how could you guarantee you were eating artificial flesh rather than flesh from an animal that had been slaughtered. It would be very difficult to label and identify in a way that people would trust."
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

sam-antha

Re: Scientists create artificial meat

Postby sam-antha » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Facon is the best. Love you Blissful, Mt Albert.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:55 pm

If they manage to make steak, ill stop eating ze animalz.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:09 am

^ Backed. And definitely if they can duplicate gloooorious eye fillet steak to standard. :angel:
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

Bernie Galaxy

Postby Bernie Galaxy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:43 am

I would say they would be a few years off on that one ....

Tacotistk
trendy hipster

Postby Tacotistk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 pm

haha that's basically the plot from the first episode of Better Off Ted

[absolut d-takt råpunk]

Postby [absolut d-takt råpunk] » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:41 pm

that scares me :?

CowzOr

Postby CowzOr » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 pm

I would like to know what the 'other animal products' are
general wrote:one alternative to democracy is listening to a lunatic like blair ranting out about "real freedom" like an incoherent brain-damaged drunk.

cool guy69 wrote:mods please sticky this thread

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 pm

[absolut d-takt råpunk] wrote:that scares me :?

Why? Theyve been growing skin for skin grafts for years and years, why is this any different? I think theyve grown a full sized bladder as well as different parts of various organs.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

[absolut d-takt råpunk]

Postby [absolut d-takt råpunk] » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 pm

but people don't eat it... lab meats just sounds fucking yuck

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Yeah cause having it on your skin is so much more natural.

You dont eat meat anyway. I dont see the big deal with lab meat, at the end of the day its the same as regular meat grown on an animal, or at least it will be once they perfect the process.

SCIENCE!

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Oh and speaking of "sounds gross"

Quorn is made from the soil mould Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684 (previously misidentified[by whom?] as the parasitic mold Fusarium graminearum). The fungus is grown in continually oxygenated water in large, otherwise sterile fermentation tanks. During the growth phase, glucose is added as a food for the fungus, as are various vitamins and minerals (to improve the food value of the resulting product). The resulting mycoprotein is then extracted and heat-treated to remove excess levels of RNA. Previous attempts to produce such fermented protein foodstuffs were thwarted by excessive levels of DNA or RNA; without the heat treatment, purine, found in nucleic acids, is metabolised by humans, producing uric acid, which can lead to gout.

Aidan

sam-antha

Postby sam-antha » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Just eat some bloody vegetables. If faux meat is too 'science' don't eat it.

All of that fake stuff is a bit dodge.. Mostly delicious, but most of the ingredients are numbers.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:43 pm

Um, lab created meat wouldn't be any healthier than animal meat?

Personally - I'm more inclined to be vegetarian for the health reasons, than the ethical reasons... (Well - in NZ I wouldn't eat battery - but NZ cows and sheep are pretty ok).
ONE MAN CREW

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:Um, lab created meat wouldn't be any healthier than animal meat?

I guess it's less likely to get contaminated with diseases and whatnot if it's not attached to an animal, but they'll probably try using all kinds of chemicals and hormones in the lab.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

old school punk

Postby old school punk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:18 pm

When will the madness stop. I'm all for animal rights and wouldn't dream off eaten one so why do i want a lab produced substitute ?? Gimme some home grown veggies anyday
Any touring bands coming down south if you need flyers put up i can do it [free]

cheese

Postby cheese » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:00 am

Turd burgers are the way forward.with far more vitamins and minerals than your standard sirloin. Recycle your shit and save the planet

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:00 am

Dead Kid wrote:
Hamtown Dave wrote:Um, lab created meat wouldn't be any healthier than animal meat?

I guess it's less likely to get contaminated with diseases and whatnot if it's not attached to an animal, but they'll probably try using all kinds of chemicals and hormones in the lab.

I'm more talking about meat being heart attack material. Though lab grown meat is probably more protein and less fat?
ONE MAN CREW

Rich Kid On LSD

Postby Rich Kid On LSD » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:40 pm

This gives me hopes of being able to try human meat without going to jail or putting in the effort to aquire it myself.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 am

i think this is fucking excellent news

steve stevenson

Postby steve stevenson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:24 pm

I asked a Muslim at work if there would be an objection to eating lab grown pork and he said yes, just wondered what his angle

steve stevenson

Postby steve stevenson » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Would've been on it being that it wasn't slaughtered. Since the veges have had their say.

ruff

Postby ruff » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:31 pm

What has a pig being slaughtered got to do with a Muslim not eating it?

meatmurder

Postby meatmurder » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:33 pm

If it taste like meat, I am all for it.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:38 pm

but is it still unclean if its grown in a lab?

i guess thats something for a bunch of gesticulating crazy clerics to decide

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 pm

um

Muslims don't eat Pork for the following reasons:

* If God, The Creator and the All-Wise, commands us, explicitly, not to eat Pork, then we should obey Him without any debate and without asking why.
* Forbidding eating pork goes back to the time of Abraham. Pork is forbidden also in Judaism. Some Christians believe that it is forbidden also in Christianity which is logic as it is forbidden in Judaism (before Christianity) and in Islam (after Christianity.
* Pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck due to its anatomy. To slaughter any animal, Muslims makes an incision through the jugular veins, leaving all other veins and organs intact; thus causing the death of the animal by a total loss of blood from the body. This is similar to the Kosher laws of Judaism. Chemical analysis of this blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to human health.
* There are some evidences that eating pork has negative impact on health.

i dont eat pork much cos i dont like the taste but this reinforces my decision
Pig's bodies contain many toxins, worms and latent diseases. Although some of these infestations are harbored in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far more predisposed to these illnesses than other animals. This could be because pigs like to scavenge and will eat any kind of food, including dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, excreta (including their own), garbage, and other pigs.

Influenza (flu) is one of the most famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is harbored in the lungs of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and humans in the cooler months. Sausage contains bits of pigs' lungs, so those who eat pork sausage tend to suffer more during epidemics of influenza. Pig meat contains excessive quantities of histamine and imidazole compounds, which can lead to itching and inflammation; growth hormone, which promotes inflammation and growth; sulphur-containing mesenchymal mucus, which leads to swelling and deposits of mucus in tendons and cartilage, resulting in arthritis, rheumatism, etc.

Sulfur helps cause firm human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage. Eating pork can also lead to gallstones and obesity, probably due to its high cholesterol and saturated fat content. The pig is the main carrier of the taenia solium worm, which is found it its flesh. These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This type of tapeworm can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage. One in six people in the US and Canada has trichinosis from eating trichina worms which are found in pork. Many people have no symptoms to warn them of this, and when they do, they resemble symptoms of many other illnesses. These worms are not noticed during meat inspections, nor are they killed by salting or smoking. Few people cook the meat long enough to kill the trichinae. The rat (another scavenger) also harbors this disease. There are dozens of other worms, germs, diseases and bacteria which are commonly found in pigs, many of which are specific to the pig, or found in greater frequency in pigs.

Pigs are biologically similar to humans, and their meat is said to taste similar to human flesh. Pigs have been used for dissection in biology labs due to the similarity between their organs and human organs. People with insulin-dependent diabetes usually inject themselves with pig insulin.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:13 pm

phaedrus wrote:doesn't matter... the book says not to, so they don't

also 'the book' forbids christians too but most of them like pork so they ignore that part
"And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase." Deuteronomy 14:8

sam-antha

Postby sam-antha » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 pm

Isn't there a bunch of shit about not touching a broad when shes on the rag and burning down the room you put her in for five days cos shes filthy as a pig as well?

Bibles awesome...

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:19 pm

bible also says no to two different types of threads in the same garment. The punishment is getting a stoning. and no sodomy. so no blowies or anything fun. good old leviticus

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:28 pm

but not eating pork is less clearly ridiculous...

in anycase most christians skip it all by saying they have faith in gods guidance and prayers to jesus will be answered in your heart and you will know what is right and other such imbecilic nonsense

Return to “Current Affairs”