HIV accused found dead

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
fuzz

HIV accused found dead

Postby fuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:31 pm

HIV accused found dead

An HIV-positive man due to appear in court today over charges of deliberately infecting people with the disease has been found dead.

Glenn Richard Albert Mills, 40, was found dead in his cell at Auckland's Remand Centre at Mt Eden prison overnight, the Department of Corrections has confirmed.

"Staff provided medical assistance but were unable to revive the prisoner. He was pronounced dead when ambulance staff arrived a short time later,'' Corrections assistant regional manager Grace Smit said.

"The prisoner's death is not considered suspicious, However the Coroner will investigate and confirm the circumstances.''

Mills, who had been in custody for several months, faced 28 charges in Auckland District Court relating to 14 people.

The charges included wounding and attempting to wound with reckless disregard and infecting and attempting to infect with a disease.

Police have said Mills was diagnosed HIV-positive in May 2007 but allegedly carried on with an active sex life.

He profiled himself as a 32-year-old on various website and telephone dating services, attempting to solicit partners throughout the country and possibly overseas.

Mills was due in court this morning for the latest round in a series of appearances as he fought the crown case against him – he was demanding that witnesses in the case, including his victims, be forced for take the stand and give evidence in person at a depositions hearing.

Under new court rules to speed up trials, evidence can be handed up in written form in depositions unless the accused contests it and asks for a hearing.

If the depositions hearing was granted it was likely to take place next year.

Mills was also due to go to the High Court in March next year as police sought a court order to forcibly take blood samples from him to use in their case against him.

Mills, a former Auckland train driver, first appeared in court in May this year charged with infecting male partners with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the precursor to AIDS.

Initially he was granted name suppression but when that order was lifted and he was publically identified more former partners came forward including three women.

Of the 14 people who eventually lined up accusing Mills of sleeping with them knowing he had HIV, seven are infected with HIV and seven not infected.

Mills last appeared in the dock two weeks ago and looked healthy.

Head of the Inquiry Detective Sergeant Andy King said Mills' body was found in his Mt Eden prison cell by prison staff this morning.

Mr King could not comment on the manner of Mills' death but said there would be routine investigation on behalf of the coroner.

The Corrections Department's Ms Smit said a review of Mills' death would be undertaken by the independent Corrections Inspectorate, which is monitored by the Office of the Ombudsmen.

"While this is underway, and the death is subject to the coroner's inquest, the department is unable to comment further.''

Earlier this month one of the country’s most notorious sexual offenders died in Wanganui Prison.

Taffy Hotene was sentenced to an 18-year non-parole life sentence in October 2000 for the murder of Auckland journalist Kylie Jones and preventive detention and a 10-year non-parole term for raping her.

Hotene attacked Jones just weeks after serving eight years in jail for attacking three women in Wanganui.

Corections Department Assistant General Manager of Operations Leanne Field said staff provided medical assistance but were unable to revive Hotene, who was pronounced dead by ambulance staff when they arrived.

The death is not considered suspicious.

In February, Samurai sword attacker and convicted killer Antonie Dixon died in Auckland Prison at Paremoremo. He was due in court that morning for a routine hearing.

Dixon, 40, machine-gunned a man to death and mutilated two women with a samurai-style sword on a P-fuelled crime spree in 2003. He was convicted, twice, of murdering James Te Aute and intending to cause grievous bodily harm to Simonne Butler and Renee Gunbie, after the sword attack.

Dixon repeatedly bashed his head against the wall of the segregation cell in which he was being held. At one stage he ran across the cell and launched head-first into a wall.

Good riddance, scum.

Hamtown Dave

Re: HIV accused found dead

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:53 pm

fuzz wrote:Good riddance, scum.

Bro, that's not very tolerant or understanding.
ONE MAN CREW

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:58 pm

Of a guy who deliberately infected SEVEN people with a life threatening, nay, fatal disease and tried it with another seven? That's some psychopathic shit. This also has nothing to do with his sexuality or even his status as positive. What he did was do all those living with and working for those with HIV a disservice in this country. You're right, I don't tolerate or understand him.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:15 pm

It's not about understanding or tolerating the act - but the person that did it. You don't know what his history was like. There's lot's of murderers in prison. Do you think they are all 'scum'?
ONE MAN CREW

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:18 pm

You have got to be kidding.

puppykicker

Postby puppykicker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:21 pm

go go gadget-jesus
step up to get yo' rep up

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Blah blah, don't hate the sinner hate the sin. Fuck it, this dude is responsible for his own actions. He knew what he was doing while he was doing it and as a consequence potentially ruined a number of lives, adversely affected a number of others and as i said, did the LGBT and the positive community an extreme disservice in combating HIV. Bear in mind he single-handedly increased HIV positive numbers in New Zealand by almost 5% (according to March figures).
Last edited by fuzz on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:24 pm

My point is - there's lots of people doing terrible things in the world. Is it help by putting them in this untouchable 'scum' box. What does that make us?
ONE MAN CREW

sam-antha

Postby sam-antha » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:24 pm

People that don't like dicks who give other people AIDS on purpose.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts.

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:25 pm

What does that make us?

un-christian? *gasp*

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:26 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:My point is - there's lots of people doing terrible things in the world. Is it help by putting them in this untouchable 'scum' box. What does that make us?

What's your point? There's lots of sum in the world. What does that make us? Not scum. I've never killed anyone, or given them HIV or done anything remotely resembling that. Where are you going with this man?

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:32 pm

fuzz wrote:
Hamtown Dave wrote:My point is - there's lots of people doing terrible things in the world. Is it help by putting them in this untouchable 'scum' box. What does that make us?

What's your point? There's lots of sum in the world. What does that make us? Not scum. I've never killed anyone, or given them HIV or done anything remotely resembling that. Where are you going with this man?

Sure - but you're a white middle class guy. You've been brought up not to do that shit.

Are you gonna call the Maori breaking in a car scum?
Or the drug addict burglarising a house?
Or the guys who beat someone to death while drunk? (they got 6years max).

Of course those things aren't as bad as giving someone AIDs - but it's still traumatic, it's just a matter of degree surely?
ONE MAN CREW

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:33 pm

I knew this bi dude in Dunedin 2002ish who was very open about the fact he rooted unprotected and extremely frequently. he decided to go to family planning to get his first ever SH check and was asked 'do you want the works?' he said 'yes may as well' to which the nurse replied 'are you sure, a positive HIV result would change your life' (or something equally bizarre and irresponsible.) she basically tried to talk him out of it coz he wouldn't be able to get health insurance if positive!!! WTF?
i had an HIV test once (they made me coz i effed a Brazilian) and they lost it and i never went for another one. meh.

ps dave you're an idiot dude. in more ways than one.
Last edited by Window Licker on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:36 pm

I'z trolln, they hate'n... :cry:
ONE MAN CREW

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Nobody is denying its a matter of degree... I think this guy is a lot worse than the examples you listed yes and would fit more into the 'scum' category than them. But really, you're arguing semantics. This guy repeatedly and knowingly committed his crimes. I fail to see what relevance my (or the offender's background) is.

Just so you know, I oppose the death penalty in all forms and sit more on the restorative and rehabilitation side of the fence as opposed to punitive. This just seems like poetic justice is all.

sam-antha

Postby sam-antha » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:Sure - but you're a white middle class guy. You've been brought up not to do that shit.

Dude involved was a middle class white guy too, wasn't he?
He should have been brought up better! White middle class dudes are saints usually.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:45 pm

fuzz wrote:Nobody is denying its a matter of degree... I think this guy is a lot worse than the examples you listed yes and would fit more into the 'scum' category than them. But really, you're arguing semantics. This guy repeatedly and knowingly committed his crimes. I fail to see what relevance my (or the offender's background) is.

Just so you know, I oppose the death penalty in all forms and sit more on the restorative and rehabilitation side of the fence as opposed to punitive. This just seems like poetic justice is all.

Hmmm - yeah - I'm not really opposed to suicide - I think it's quite a viable option for some people. I think it's even worth -considering- that it's a non-selfish option in some cases?

What I'm saying is - that if your going to call this guy scum - then you've got to be prepared to call other people scum. If you are comfortable with that position, then all g.

Re: Rehabilitation - so it's like 'you're scum, but we are going to help you become not scum?' - Or are some people just too far past it?
Last edited by Hamtown Dave on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ONE MAN CREW

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm

What I'm saying is - that if your going to call this guy scum - then you've got to be prepared to call other people scum. If you are comfortable with that position, then all g.

That logic doesn't follow yo. Some people are scum, some aren't. You agreed yourself that it goes in degrees.

Re: Rehabilitation - so it's like 'you're scum, but we are going to help you become not scum?' - Or are some people just too far past it?

I never said anything about rehabilitating scum. As it stands, the only person I've called scum is currently deceased and presumably unable to be rehabilitated.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Ok - so we are all 'scum' to a degree - it's just some are significantly more than others? - Seems to follow. And it would be in this case 'wow - you are so much more scummy that me!' similarly to 'wow - you are so much faster runner than me!'. - It's not that there is a clear line - it's just wouldn't bother commenting if they were a only a little bit more.

Re: dude being dead - is it the being dead that comfirms his scum status? - I'm thinking because 'you died in a bad moral status' - whereas if he'd continued living, and made some kind of retribution - you'd be like 'well - you turned out all right'.
ONE MAN CREW

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Man, you're missing points all over the place. I'm not saying we're all scum. Some people are scum, some aren't You're not scum, I'm not scum and as far as I know nobody on this board is scum. But again, you're arguing semantics, not the issue.

His death has nothing to do with his being 'scum'. He was scum as soon as he committed those acts. If he hadn't died, I still would have called him scum until such time as he redeemed himself (if that's possible considering the nature of what he did).

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:06 pm

dave you just around and around in circles and don't make any fucking sense or decent points, its like you've learnt how to debate in a church or some shit. :)

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:07 pm

or from Spots2012?

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:08 pm

i just don't know why you do it sometimes Dave, don't even pick the shovel up in the first place. And i don't buy the "just trolling" bullshit either. Nothing personal, you seem okay.....for a fucken christian :wink:

as for the FILTHY FUCKEN LOWLIFE SCUM in question, he should've died from being buttfucked with a low-geared jackhammer.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:20 pm

Straight up - Mainly I wanted to bring up peoples values on things - really answer the question of

1) Do people see a significant difference between this guy, and people who regularly fuck peoples lives over - (fighting at pubs, stealing shit etc). Of course this guy is particularly gross.

2) If so - what is that difference? - Is it simply that we have some kind of thresh hold some where?

Mainly it seems that my values are - yes this guys a fuckn scumbag - and so's a bunch of other cunts (not trying to detract from the issue at hand, but rather - increase your hatred for these other guys). Fuck those cunts!.
Last edited by Hamtown Dave on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONE MAN CREW

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:27 pm

I suppose though - some things - (like your car being broken into, or not paying debts) it's just easy enough to forgive, and understand. This does seem particularly heinous.

Still - people who beat the crap out of people...?
Last edited by Hamtown Dave on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ONE MAN CREW

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:29 pm

bridge. wrote:or from Spots2012?

yeah it's spooky actually.

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:I suppose though - some things - (like your car being broken into, or not paying debts) it's just easy enough to forgive, and understand. This does seem particularly heinous.

Still - people who beat the crap out of people...?

But what's that got to do with the price of fish?

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:41 pm

In all honesty - I'm just taking a dig at this -tendency- (or at least the temptation of) this PC (yes - correct usage of the term here IMO) - sensitivity that toward criminals.
ONE MAN CREW

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:43 pm

well you're doing a shit job of that aye.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:15 pm

on 'scum'; some of the worst people i have met have never done anything remotely wrong in their life. Or anything notably good either. Thats not saying anything about this guy though.

Return to “Current Affairs”