Monkeywrenching/Eco-terrorism/Luddites

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
the croc

Monkeywrenching/Eco-terrorism/Luddites

Postby the croc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm reading The Monkeywrench Gang by Edward Abbey at the moment and wanted to see where this sort of stuff was going on in the world at the moment. There has been heaps going on in the last couple of months. All these groups use different approaches and are fighting for different causes but all have been effective to varying degrees in advancing their goals. You guys ave probably heard of MEND and ELF but there are also a bunch of other groups/individuals out there fucking shit up for real. I expect we see increasing reports of these kind of actions as environmental degradation worsens and governments continue to drag their feet on issues such as climate change, peak oil, deforestation, fisheries depletion etc etc etc. It will be interesting to see how these groups are treated by history, as heroes and martyrs or as criminals and terrorists?

Nigeria runs out of crude, refineries shut

Thursday, June 25, 2009

NOW the chicken has come to roost. The effects of the militancy in the Niger Delta and the Federal Government's clampdown on them have shaken the foundation of the oil and gas industry.

Yesterday, the government admitted that it had no more crude for its refineries to process for local consumption.

Consequently, the Warri and Port Harcourt refineries have been shut. The Kaduna Refinery, though functioning, has no crude to process because the Warri plant, which feeds it is shut due to a damage to major pipelines. The only stock, which was reserved, will be exhausted in the next 15 days, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) said yesterday.

The corporation attributed the development to the crisis in the Niger Delta, which has escalated since the government scaled up a military offensive against the militants in the region.

In retaliation, the militants have intensified their sabotage of the activities of oil firms in the zone. In the last three weeks, the militants have struck four times, destroying facilities belonging to Shell, Chevron and Agip, which are joint venture partners with the government.
Link

Sheriff's deputies investigate well vandalism

Posted: 07/15/2009 06:51:01 AM MDT

FLORA VISTA, N.M.—The San Juan County Sheriff's Office is investigating several cases of vandalism at wells near Flora Vista owned by Conoco-Phillips.

Undersheriff Mark McCloskey said the vandalism happened last weekend and was reported to authorities on Monday. The vandals smashed electrical panels and gauges, damaged wiring, drained fuel tanks and did other damage.

Officials with Houston-based Conoco-Phillips estimate the cost of damage, repair, loss of production and environmental cleanup at each well site at about $8,000 to $10,000.

Detectives collected evidence at each site and are working on identifying those who were responsible. McCloskey said felony charges for criminal damage to property are pending.
Link

Letter warns of more attacks on B.C. pipelines

By Becky Rynor, Canwest News ServiceJuly 16, 2009

There have been six explosions targeting EnCana Corp. gas projects in northeastern B.C. since October last year, when the first anonymous letter was sent to the Dawson Creek newspaper, warning EnCana to stop drilling and leave the area. The letter complained about the production of "crazy" natural gas, a possible reference to toxic sour gas that is produced in the area and shipped by EnCana.

Subsequent bomb attacks have drawn ever closer to populated areas around the Tomslake community, close to the B.C.-Alberta border.

The most recent blasts took place July 1 and 4 near the community of Pouce Coupe, B.C., just south of Dawson Creek. RCMP have called the bombings "domestic terrorism," and police say they are concerned someone might be injured or killed in an attack if they continue.

Dawson Creek Daily News publisher Dan Przybylski said that, while local residents aren't happy with the violence of the attacks, many are in sympathy with the writer's stance against the oil and gas industry, which they see as a threat to residents' health and the environment.

"They like the message. They're just not crazy about the method," he said.
Link

Eco-camp protesters boast of 'fantastic' sabotage of mine

Published Date: 07 August 2009
By Stephen McGinty

ACTIVISTS at Scotland's first climate-change camp have begun what they threaten will be a series of acts of industrial sabotage by slashing through a conveyor belt at an open-cast mine, bringing coal grinding to a halt.

In what is believed to have been a raid yesterday afternoon, protesters gained access to the conveyor belt that runs for 6.5km from the Glentaggart open-cast coal mine in South Lanarkshire to the Ravenstruther rail terminal. The coal is then transported to the Drax power station in Yorkshire.

The saboteurs hiked across open countryside to access the heavy rubber belt – which is roughly 5ft in diameter and can carry hundreds of tonnes of coal per day – about two miles from the open-cast mine, and cut through it.

Diarmaid Lynch, a spokesman from the camp, described the act of vandalism as "fantastic news".
Link

Rock throwers halt Rally Australia

Posted September 4, 2009 14:02:00

The first full day of the Australian leg of the world rally championship has been thrown into chaos after protesters forced the cancellation of two stages.

The cars of several drivers, including five-time world champion Sebastien Loeb, were pelted with stones while riot police were called in to investigate reports that boulders had been placed on the course and fences cut down allowing cattle to stray onto the track.

Police deployed a helicopter to the site but no arrests were made, although Superintendent Michael Kenny said investigations were continuing.

Rally organisers immediately cancelled the morning's sixth stage because of safety concerns to spectators and drivers.

They also cancelled a second stage in the afternoon, to be run over the same 11.33 kilometre section, as a precaution.
Link

ELF Claims Responsibility For Radio Tower Sabotage

Posted: 6:28 am PDT September 4, 2009

SNOHOMISH, Wash. -- An environmental extremist group has claimed responsibility for toppling two towers near Snohomish owned by a sports radio station.

The Earth Liberation Front group took responsibility for the act on its Web site Friday. The smaller tower stood 149 feet tall and the larger tower stood 349 feet tall.

The group claimed responsibility in the firebombing of a University of Washington building in 2006, and the FBI said it estimates that ELF has committed more than 600 criminal acts in the U.S. since 1996, resulting in damages in excess of $43 million.

In a news release issued Friday afternoon, ELF cited adverse health effects, harm to wildlife and interference with home phone lines as some of the reasons for their action.
Link
Last edited by the croc on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Re: Monkeywrenching/Eco-terrorism/Luddites

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:57 pm

the croc wrote:
Rock throwers halt Rally Australia

Posted September 4, 2009 14:02:00

The first full day of the Australian leg of the world rally championship has been thrown into chaos after protesters forced the cancellation of two stages.

The cars of several drivers, including five-time world champion Sebastien Loeb, were pelted with stones while riot police were called in to investigate reports that boulders had been placed on the course and fences cut down allowing cattle to stray onto the track.

Police deployed a helicopter to the site but no arrests were made, although Superintendent Michael Kenny said investigations were continuing.

Rally organisers immediately cancelled the morning's sixth stage because of safety concerns to spectators and drivers.

They also cancelled a second stage in the afternoon, to be run over the same 11.33 kilometre section, as a precaution.

hard to see how this type of thing does anything but piss the general public off.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:02 pm

The Monkeywrench Gang by Edward Abbey

a dated but good read eh. You might like Jim Harrison's stuff too- he is a contemporary of Ed Abbey. Also Doug Peacock- who the character Hayduke was partially based on.
Uncinia vector. Sandfly victim. Part of the trans agenda to invade men's public toilets...

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:27 pm

hmmm
I think it's lint.

Mugabe, Robert

Postby Mugabe, Robert » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Fuck this shit. Best thing to do is get absolutely pissed and start fights in town and smash dudes. Fuck this shit.
Man: "Ugh, help, someone help me. I've been shot in my car and I'm dead."
Man 2: "Fuck up you cunt."
"Wheres your car now Falcone?"

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:23 pm

yea bol hard!

There are certainly cases where I would side with the activists... but I think the good work that is done by a lot of people is really seriously undermined by people who are ill/mis/under-informed, act too emotively, or just plain take things too far. THe battles won't be won in the long run by alienating your cause from society in general.
I think it's lint.

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:31 pm

^^^

I concur.

nd ome people jut like breking thing.

(rrgghgh ome of my key ren't orking. :( )
Last edited by Spots2012 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:42 pm

Red_switch wrote:yea bol hard!

There are certainly cases where I would side with the activists... but I think the good work that is done by a lot of people is really seriously undermined by people who are ill/mis/under-informed, act too emotively, or just plain take things too far. THe battles won't be won in the long run by alienating your cause from society in general.

There's a pretty solid argument that these extreme groups are very useful and are in fact needed to make the more moderate groups more acceptable to the general population. Earth First was very useful to the Sierra Club in the early 90's in making the Sierra Club look far more moderate than Earth First who were spiking trees and destroying machinery. Look at the difference between Greenpeace and Sea Shepard. Greenpeace paints nice banners and takes photos of whales being slaughtered. Sea Shepard actively stops whaling occurring. How many whales have Greenpeace stopped being killed? Zero. Sea Shepard? Hundreds. Based on that which group is more effective? I think we all know how the whales would answer.

To be honest I don't think many of these extreme groups care about their public image. It's irrelevant because they're actively out there stopping environmental degradation. Not just talking about it. Protests, submission writing, law suits, public meetings are all legal because most of the time they don't work. Governments serve industry first and foremost. Why do you think 20 years of global talk on climate change has achieved nothing? The same for deforestation. Fisheries depletion. Strip mining etc etc etc. Everyone knows this is all fucked up. They've known it for decades. Yet it's all still increasing. There's a certain point where you have to look at history and realise all these legal options are set up to fail. The examples are near infinite. So when those legal options are exhausted, and whatever it is that is getting fought against continues to go ahead, there are really only two options left. You can get frustrated and give up, or you can resist.

BOOT GIRL

Postby BOOT GIRL » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:24 am

Red_switch wrote:yea bol hard!

Unfortunately the majority of people in society dont really give a fuck about anything unless it directly affects them ,actions like ELF etc are not done to win public support they are done to cause profit loss to the companies/corporations fucking up the planet.

Crocs last post is pretty much the way it is

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:02 am

please explain how rally driving is anything but a symbolic target.

*edit: explained.
Last edited by xSUSPECTx on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:55 am

I think you missed my point Phil. I wasn't saying these extreme groups exist to make the more moderate groups more palatable to the mainstream, all I was saying was that it tends to be a by product of their actions.

As for the rock throwers, no one has claimed responsibility for that yet. It is most probably someone involved with the other groups with environmental concerns but so far it looks as though they acted individually. If you look at the background of what happened Phil, the groups were fighting about far more than just having a NIMBY attitude to the rally.

The 3 day long international car rally runs through Tweed and Kyogle Shire national parks, state forests, World Heritage areas, nature conservation areas, major koala colonies, core koala habitats and habitat where over 12 nationally-threatened species live. In September 2008, the Minister for the Environment, Peter Garrett dubbed the area as the ‘Green Cauldron’, one of 8 national iconic landscapes.

There are 12 nationally listed threatened (endangered and vulnerable) fauna in the area and 34 migratory birds that have not been adequately assessed. These are species of national environmental significance that need to be reviewed. Factors such as the stress induced by 'mitigation measures' (low-flying helicopters, compressed air sirens and hand horns) will contribute to death of species from nest/fledgling abandonment. Stress myopathy deaths of macropods were not addressed. Barriers by creeks containing endangered Giant Barred Frogs will not contain the substantial dust and sediment generated by more than 100 rally vehicles going over 200kph along 350k of dirt roads every day for 4 days.

It is absolutely appalling that this rally has been forced on one of the most biodiverse areas in Australia in breeding season for the next 10-20 years, especially when 2/3rds of them are already endangered!

This event has been enabled by the NSW Motor Sports (WRC) Bill 2009, which overrode 12 different planning, environmental protection and heritage laws and removed all right of appeal.

What more effective ways are open to people in the Green Cauldron? They have protested peacefully in the streets, written to politicians, and invoked the law. The response from the government was extreme: The government abrogated the very environmental laws that the people had invoked to stop the race. Then, when a councilor took the matter to the courts, she felt that it was given the bum’s rush. Behind the abrogation of the 12 environmental laws was pressure from Repco, a global corporation of retailers of car parts, which apparently had far more pull with the NSW Government than the democratic wishes of members of its electorate.
Link

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am

damn good previous posts Croc- you put it well.

Groups like Sea Shepard are doing amazing stuff with direct controversial action, whether you think its sensational, boys n toys, media whoring or not. Whatever people think of it, it's put international focus on whaling at a level Greenpeace have not been able to.

Ecoterrorism (it used to be used as a positive tag- not swarthy middle eastern types with biological warfare) has its place. Obviously its not something everyone wants to, or is in a position to get involved in. All forms of resistance, from lobbying for policy change, through to sugar in bulldozer tanks, increases public awareness AND eats into the profits of the companies involved.

Thats how the Beech Scheme was closed down. When a mining company has to spend more and more on security, on pep talks to its workers, on court time, and on media press releases and advertising to offset negative publicity, there is going to come a point when it just isn't profitable enough for them to keep going.

That's when they start threatening to sack workers, which is the other big issue- these companies are very good at going into areas and becoming the only work, supporting schools, etc. Unfortunately activists are not often good at suggesting alternatives for communities who are ultimately going to suffer longterm.
Uncinia vector. Sandfly victim. Part of the trans agenda to invade men's public toilets...

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:33 am

The fact that there is already a roading network of sufficient standard for WRC in place makes me wonder really... Must be a shit course if the cars will travel at sustained speeds of 200kph, and drivers don't like dust either, I'm sure there will be a water cart on hand to keep things damp. Noise is an issue for sure, possibly more so for wannabe lifestylers on ten acre blocks though...

There are far more important things they could be worried about, especially in Australia, for fucks sake! Sounds to me like it's a bunch of dorks who don't want their countryside quiet spoilt.

Greenpeace can really go get fucked, they are the most useless, ill informed stains out there.

Sea shepherd do achieve some good outcomes for sure, they are probably one of the groups that I would consider to be more successful. Plenty of other people don't achieve anything other than alienating their cause.

croc wrote:Protests, submission writing, law suits, public meetings are all legal because most of the time they don't work. Governments serve industry first and foremost. Why do you think 20 years of global talk on climate change has achieved nothing? The same for deforestation. Fisheries depletion. Strip mining etc etc etc.

NZ has a pretty good record of protests, submission writing, legal challenges and public meetings working. Project Aqua? Hell, I was working in the RMA process over summer, and I saw more applications stumble through those means than actually get approval. There are certainly problems with the RMA, alot of which arise through the retardedness of planners, and their desire to put themselves above science, but we do what we can.

20 years of global talk on climate change hasn't acheived nothing. I think your average citizen has become hugely more environmentally aware over the last couple of years, most of it due to CC misinformation (cheers Keisha). The other factor there is that climate science is so ridiculously complex that it is pretty dam hard to get anything constructive out of the science itself. Yes the planet is generally warming, yes CO2 probably plays a significant role in that, but beyond that, it's still a lottery. The relationship between CO2 and temp (as best as we understand it) alone means that carbon taxes and emissions trading schemes are more or less doomed to fail in actually mitigating any effects. Not to mention the fact that modern climatology looks nothing like comparing plots of temperature with those of CO2 emissions. Or the fact that Jones et al have now "lost" the global climate data set on which the bulk of that science is based, and in the past have consistently refused to provide that data to anyone who wasn't going to directly credit them in publication - meaning that sceptics/critics/whatever you want to call them have effectively been unable to test the data, and the stats applied to it (so much for providing an international climate "Service"). All that is left is one hell of a manipulated beast. That's a whole other issue though...

The bulk of major environmental issues have their roots in economics, which is nice and ironic since it's the pseudo-ist pseudosciene around. Until there is a MAJOR economical paradigm shift, these issues will not disappear. It's not a terribly difficult concept - that raping the earth is not only unsustainable on an environmental level, but also an economic level.
Last edited by Red_switch on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think it's lint.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 am

Spots2012 wrote: (rrgghgh ome of my key ren't orking. :( )

LOL
I think it's lint.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 am

the croc wrote:I think you missed my point Phil. I wasn't saying these extreme groups exist to make the more moderate groups more palatable to the mainstream, all I was saying was that it tends to be a by product of their actions.

As for the rock throwers, no one has claimed responsibility for that yet. It is most probably someone involved with the other groups with environmental concerns but so far it looks as though they acted individually. If you look at the background of what happened Phil, the groups were fighting about far more than just having a NIMBY attitude to the rally.

The 3 day long international car rally runs through Tweed and Kyogle Shire national parks, state forests, World Heritage areas, nature conservation areas, major koala colonies, core koala habitats and habitat where over 12 nationally-threatened species live. In September 2008, the Minister for the Environment, Peter Garrett dubbed the area as the ‘Green Cauldron’, one of 8 national iconic landscapes.

There are 12 nationally listed threatened (endangered and vulnerable) fauna in the area and 34 migratory birds that have not been adequately assessed. These are species of national environmental significance that need to be reviewed. Factors such as the stress induced by 'mitigation measures' (low-flying helicopters, compressed air sirens and hand horns) will contribute to death of species from nest/fledgling abandonment. Stress myopathy deaths of macropods were not addressed. Barriers by creeks containing endangered Giant Barred Frogs will not contain the substantial dust and sediment generated by more than 100 rally vehicles going over 200kph along 350k of dirt roads every day for 4 days.

It is absolutely appalling that this rally has been forced on one of the most biodiverse areas in Australia in breeding season for the next 10-20 years, especially when 2/3rds of them are already endangered!

This event has been enabled by the NSW Motor Sports (WRC) Bill 2009, which overrode 12 different planning, environmental protection and heritage laws and removed all right of appeal.

What more effective ways are open to people in the Green Cauldron? They have protested peacefully in the streets, written to politicians, and invoked the law. The response from the government was extreme: The government abrogated the very environmental laws that the people had invoked to stop the race. Then, when a councilor took the matter to the courts, she felt that it was given the bum’s rush. Behind the abrogation of the 12 environmental laws was pressure from Repco, a global corporation of retailers of car parts, which apparently had far more pull with the NSW Government than the democratic wishes of members of its electorate.
Link

objection withdrawn, i think id side with the rock throwers after all, the rally can be somewhere else, and fuck repco.

i didnt say anything about a NIMBY attitude btw, i was more talking about the kind of people who do shit for status, as if to earn their beret.

but i was completely wrong, apologies.

p.s. theres better things to put in tanks than sugar, thats merely a nuisance, caustic solvents will do far more to wreck an engine, anything from battery acid to liquid soap, even plain old water will do more harm than sugar.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 am

when I said sugar, I was using it to cover a range of things you could put in fuel tanks- sugar, dishwashing liquid, your dick. Whatever quibbler.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:44 am

i was just trying to show off how much i know about stuff :fist:

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:47 am

Sorry, grumpy pmt ginger bitch today. If I had anyone to fire I could do it today. Maybe I could fire myself, then I wouldn't have to be at work....

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:54 am

its ok im being a know it all little shit today, just tryna recover from being pwnt by croc.

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:05 pm

Do you guys know if Ecodefense: A Field Guide to Monkeywrenching is illegal in New Zealand? I know it is in a few other countries, but then you can buy it off Amazon. It's pretty widely available on the net. Pretty in depth.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:08 pm

i dont know, but id highly doubt it, not many(if any) books are illegal in NZ

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm not sure if it is, but it may be one of the ones you don't want in your bookcase if you are raided as an activist. I know of a few people who had copies in NZ that came in through AK Press in the mid 90s.

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Just as well I'm all talk then.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:38 pm

hehe!

Return to “Current Affairs”