Cop drives drunk from police bar

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Spots2012

Cop drives drunk from police bar

Postby Spots2012 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:41 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2 ... police-bar

A senior police officer drove "grossly" drunk from a police bar, nearly collided with other cars, mounted footpaths and had to swerve to avoid hitting a pedestrian-crossing pole while heading home.

Detective Sergeant John Gualter, an instructor at the Royal New Zealand Police College in Porirua, has pleaded guilty to drink-driving and dangerous driving. He will be sentenced in Porirua District Court on Friday.

The Alcohol Advisory Council (Alac) has criticised his actions and those of the bar that allowed him to reach more than 2½ times the legal limit.

The incident has also forced a review of the police college's alcohol policy. Its bar no longer serves alcohol from jugs, duty officers keep a watch on patrons' behaviour, and drinking games and heavy drinking sessions are no longer tolerated.

Alac chief executive Gerard Vaughan said licensed premises that served drunk patrons were breaking the law and Alac would expect police to enforce the provisions of the Sale of Liquor Act.

The police college bar is licensed and is required to follow liquor laws, unlike bars at police stations which are exempt from the act, but voluntarily follow Alac guidelines.

Gualter was stopped by police near his home in Linden, north Wellington, after 10pm on November 14. His breath-alcohol reading of 1039 micrograms was more than 2½ times the legal limit of 400mcg.

The charges each carry a maximum penalty of three months in prison, a maximum fine of $4500 and disqualification from driving for a minimum of six months.

Gualter was initially stood down on full pay but reinstated at the college on restricted duties in December. After sentencing, he will face an internal police employment investigation.

The Dominion Post was granted access to the police statement of facts, which described the incident.

Members of the public saw Gualter join State Highway 1 north of Porirua and weave back and forth across all three lanes. They rang police and followed him as he drove into Porirua and on to Linden.

During the journey, his car was seen straddling lanes, swerving to miss a pedestrian-crossing pole and a power pole, mounting footpaths, driving "completely on the incorrect side of a road" and narrowly missing moving cars.

"When he got out of his vehicle he was so grossly intoxicated that he was unsteady on his feet, his eyes were glazed and bloodshot, and his speech was slurred, and he had to lean on the vehicle to support himself," the police summary said.

Gualter did not explain his actions to police at the time and did not return calls last week, but earlier this year told The Dominion Post it had been a worrying time.
Ad Feedback

"As a police officer, we're all human beings and we make mistakes but obviously because we do a different job, we're subject to different rules. Sometimes we aren't afforded the flexibility that every other person is afforded."

Mr Vaughan said the incident was disappointing, as alcohol abuse was a factor in much of the police's work. "We work closely with police in a number of areas in trying to reduce alcohol-related harm and there are a lot of police incredibly dedicated to this work. I'm sure they will also be disappointed that a member of their organisation failed to meet the standards they expect."

Police headquarters spokesman Jon Neilson said in a statement that the college had amended its alcohol policy to "better reflect ... concepts of host responsibility and prevention of intoxication".

Convictions for police officers rank as "serious misconduct" in the police code of conduct and can result in instant dismissal.

"All police understand that the public expects high standards of conduct from them at all times," Mr Neilson said.

Police national training manager Mike Wilson said there had been no trouble at the college bar for "many months" and the police college had a responsibility to make an extra effort to be the model of "what's important for the organisation".

"We're just New Zealanders like everybody else, just the same sorts of things will happen in our environment. Having said that, I actually think the standard is really really quite high."

STATEMENT OF FACTS

At about 10pm on the 14th November, 2008, the defendant Gualter was driving his Toyota motor vehicle, registration SAX4ME, when he was observed by members of the public to turn onto the motorway from Whitford Brown Avenue, Porirua.

Initially he was in the left of the three south-bound lanes, but began to veer across into the middle lane, which was the lane the complainants were in. At this point they were about 30 metres behind him.

The defendant continued to travel south and was weaving across all three lanes of the motorway, from the shoulder of the road out to, and including, the lane next to the median strip. There was no indication of him changing lanes and the complainant got the impression that the changing of lanes wasn't deliberate, but was merely because he was so drunk. They reported the matter to police on *555.

They would have normally gone off at the ramp, but because of the defendant's driving, they decided to follow him, whilst keeping the police informed of his driving and location. When they got to the Mungavin Interchange the defendant went up the off ramp, weaving within this lane. When he got to the give way sign at the top, he drove straight out into the intersection without slowing. He then went to the right around the roundabout and was weaving back and forwards across both lanes, with no indication.

He carried on across the Mungavin Bridge into Porirua and was travelling down the middle centre line of the two lanes. When he got to the other side, near the BP service station he actually increased his speed to take the left-hand bend into Kenepuru Drive.

As the defendant approached the pedestrian crossing outside the Mobil service station, he headed straight for the black and white pedestrian pole on the footpath on his left, but suddenly swerved away to the right. He then swerved back to his left, mounted the footpath, then dismounted the footpath and headed off along Kenepuru Drive towards Tawa.

When he reached the area of the soccer club, he was actually driving completely on the incorrect side of the road, travelling south in the north-bound lane. Fortunately there was no other vehicle coming, but shortly after he regained the correct side of the road, an oncoming vehicle passed. Visibility is poor in this area with limited street lighting.

As he reached the Rahia Street intersection he began to head straight towards a power pole on the left-hand side of the road. At the last moment, he swerved to the right, then swerved left before mounting the kerb, then dismounted again before heading south. When he got to Gee Street, he indicated and turned left into the street. At this point the complainant decided to continue on south and turn left into Linden Avenue, because we didn't want him to realise that we were following him, and the police had not yet arrived.

When the defendant suddenly reappeared at speed from Findlay Street into Linden Avenue, two police cars intercepted him. Despite signalling him to stop with their flashing red and blue lights the defendant continued on. The defendant was swerving across the centre line and had a narrow miss with a mobile vehicle in the same lane. Eventually they got him to stop in Collins Avenue, Linden.

When he got out of his vehicle he was so grossly intoxicated that he was unsteady on his feet, his eyes were glazed and bloodshot and his speech was slurred and he had to lean on the vehicle to support himself. He was clearly in no condition to be driving a vehicle.

The correct breath-testing procedures were carried out and a subsequent Evidential Breath Test gave a reading of 1039 micrograms of alcohol per litre of breath. The defendant made no comment about his actions. He is a 41-year-old male who is currently employed as a Police officer and has not previously appeared before the court.

I find it surprising that cops are allowed to keep their jobs after incidents like this.
Last edited by Spots2012 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Re: Cop drives drunk from police bar

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:02 am

i find it surprising he was so munted with such a low blood alcohol, what a pussy.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:04 am

Yeah 2 and a half times over the limit? what's that? 7 beers?

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:08 am

musta been fucked up on something other than booze aswell. the plot thickens...

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Hypocritical arse-hole.
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

Ben Fats
Party Girl

Postby Ben Fats » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:22 pm

maybe he was a fit guy? fit people get smashed easy
CHAINSMOKERS

Mugabe, Robert

Postby Mugabe, Robert » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Hammer Cock wrote:maybe he was a fit guy? fit people get smashed easy

Fucking conservative right wing twerp making excuses for cops and shit.
Fuck off dick.
He knew better. Fuck you man. Fuck you.
Man: "Ugh, help, someone help me. I've been shot in my car and I'm dead."
Man 2: "Fuck up you cunt."
"Wheres your car now Falcone?"

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:13 pm

its not true anyway, if anything the opposite is true.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:07 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/2 ... -who-drove
A senior police officer who is to be sentenced for drink-driving and dangerous driving has applied for a discharge without conviction.

Detective Sergeant John Gualter will face an employment investigation after he is sentenced on Friday.

The police said all eight policemen convicted of drink-driving since 2005 had lost their jobs.

The Dominion Post revealed yesterday that Gualter was more than 2 1/2 times the legal limit when police pulled him over in Linden, north Wellington, on November 14. Gualter had been drinking at the Royal New Zealand Police College bar in Porirua.

As he drove home, his car was seen by members of the public weaving across all three lanes of State Highway 1, mounting pavements, driving on the wrong side of the road and narrowly missing other cars.

His actions forced a review of the police college's alcohol policy, where he is an instructor, and yesterday the Law Commission renewed a call for police bars to be policed under the Sale of Liquor Act.

Porirua District Court yesterday confirmed that an application had been lodged for Gualter for a discharge without conviction under section 106 of the Sentencing Act.

To be discharged without conviction, the applicant has to prove the impact of the conviction would outweigh the seriousness of the offence.

Wellington lawyer Rennie Gould said she would not comment specifically on Gualter's case, but it would be unusual to be discharged without conviction for a high level of breath alcohol, especially when combined with dangerous driving.

"Your first reaction might be, if the level was very high, for example, and the driving very bad, then no way would you want to see that person discharged, but then you don't know the guy, he might have been under stress.

"People deserve a second chance and maybe you don't want someone to lose their career, and that's what the judge will have to weigh up."

Police human resources general manager Wayne Annan said eight police officers since 2005 had been convicted of drink driving and all had lost their jobs as a consequence.

"Every time it happens we are very disappointed and we view it as a tragedy."

Asked whether it was appropriate for police to operate bars, Prime Minister John Key said yesterday he was not sure whether closing police bars would solve the problem of people not taking a responsible attitude to drinking.

"In my view the police, almost more than anyone, should understand the importance of being sober when you drive. They are the people who often are confronted with carnage on the roads."

Law Commission president Sir Geoffrey Palmer said police bars should no longer be exempt from the Sale of Liquor Act one of the recommendations in a discussion paper released by the commission in July.

"The benefit would be that you would know that the law applies, as it is written, to everyone. There's sort of an equality in that."

He best not get this.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:13 am

i hope he does cos then il apply for it and go moaning to the media if i dont get it since my breath alcohol was way higher but my driving perfectly fine.

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Discharge without conviciton is when the consequences of having a conviction will outweigh the crime. In your case, the consequences aren't much, as you already have convictions.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:25 pm

you idiot, thats not the case at all, but this is hardly a good place to discuss that in depth.

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:15 pm

bro, thats totally what it's for.

beef666
<3 tofu

Postby beef666 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:03 pm

What a good cunt. Drunk drivings fucking mean.
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
http://www.myspace.com/abortedchristians666

dimery wrote: no beef with nobody, down for whatever, smoke weed every day

Lurch wrote:Zane has a secret Fred Durst shrine in his room. True story.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Spots2012 wrote:bro, thats totally what it's for.

i didnt say it wasnt

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:58 pm

oh so you mean that it's not the case that you already have convictions?

Samphetamine

Postby Samphetamine » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:30 pm

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:58 am

its not true anyway, if anything the opposite is true.

incorrect?
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:33 am

fit people dont get drunk easier IF ANYTHING THE REVERSE IS TRUE

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:44 am

although this is entirely irrelevant to the general content of this thread, my understanding was that less body fat to absorb alchohol, coupled with a generally more active metabolism, meant that alchohol passes through the body faster, in addition, people that are required to be fit often (not always) drink in moderation, therefore it would be understandable if he had a low tolerance.

Also, who said 40 year old cops had to be fit? For all we know he could be a fatass and Suspect be completely correct.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

kimura

Postby kimura » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:37 am

I agree with Wade...

I find the more im training the easier it is to get drunk,but it's not just to do with fitness but also hydration etc

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Yep, when I am fit I'm a one-can wonder, whereas when I'm unfit I am a two-can wonder.
Uncinia vector. Sandfly victim. Part of the trans agenda to invade men's public toilets...

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Yep definitely get more wasteder when fit and lean.

The fact that all sworn police officers are supposed to pass an annual fitness test does not mean that they all pass the annual fitness test (which is apparently a bit of a joke anyway).
I think it's lint.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:23 pm

you people are fucked, when im fit my metabolism takes care of alcohol faster than i can drink.

and i have all that extra muscle mass to absorb alcohol and a heart that can pump it and a liver thats not under a workload datiung back a few weeks...

you people are just noobs

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Bullshit all of you. Soft cunts get drunk easy. Unsoft cunts still can get drunk easy they just go all night.

Sort it out.

.P.s Nice work Sam. Must have taken a shitload of bebo screenshots for that one.
Last edited by Livestock on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimura

Postby kimura » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:21 pm

I get drunk fastest when I start drinking straight after training and my heart is still beating like a motherfucker.

Pretty funny because I would expect a cop to know the sneaky way home with no patrol cars.
Last edited by kimura on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 pm

my understanding is that fat doesn't absorb alcohol, and so fat people get drunk quicker.
ONE MAN CREW

beef666
<3 tofu

Postby beef666 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:20 pm

my understanding is that the more of a hardcunt you are, the more you can drink
http://www.myspace.com/abortedchristians666

dimery wrote: no beef with nobody, down for whatever, smoke weed every day

Lurch wrote:Zane has a secret Fred Durst shrine in his room. True story.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:my understanding is that fat doesn't absorb alcohol, and so fat people get drunk quicker.

Fat definitely does absorb alcohol my man.
I think it's lint.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:56 pm

http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/som/cmed/alcohol/metabolism.htm

Metabolism is a general term applied to the chemical processes that take place within tissues in the body by converting food or liquids to obtain nutrients. When alcohol is ingested, about 20 percent is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream. The rest is absorbed as it progresses through the gastrointestinal tract. A small amount of alcohol is not metabolized and is excreted through sweat, saliva, urine, and the breath.

In the liver an enzyme known as alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) converts alcohol to acetaldehyde. This substance is then converted to acetic acid and then metabolizes to carbon dioxide, water, and fatty acids. Some persons, especially those of Asian descent, experience a phenomenon knows as flushing, or alcohol-flush reaction. Flushing is defined as a sudden onset of reddening of the skin, most often seen in the face or neck region. Some who experience flushing also complain of dizziness or nausea and vomiting. This reaction occurs when the production of the enzyme acetaldehyde is insufficient.

A number of factors affect the absorption of alcohol. It must be remembered that alcohol is a lipid that is water soluble, so it can be digested soon after absorption. Alcohol absorption into the bloodstream takes place throughout the gastrointestinal tract. When alcohol reaches the bloodstream, it is very quickly distributed throughout the body.

Body tissues absorb alcohol at different rates. For example, muscle tissue absorbs alcohol more rapidly than fat tissue. This absorption into muscle tissue would mean that less alcohol is circulating in the bloodstream. Since women usually have more body fat than men, they would experience a more profound effect from the same amount of alcohol than would their male counterparts.

Another physical factor is body size. A smaller person feels the intoxicating effects of alcohol more rapidly than a large person. Additionally, since each person has a different metabolic rate, this can be another factor influencing alcohol absorption.

Many variables can affect the rate of alcohol absorption. Carbonated alcoholic beverages or mixers are rapidly absorbed. These may include champagne, sparkling wines, wine coolers, or soft drinks mixed with alcohol. Drinks with a higher concentration of alcohol are also problematic. These include drinks with two or more types of alcohol, such as "ice teas," margaritas, Black Russians, and similar drinks. Use of aspirin products can also increase intoxication by interfering with the breakdown of alcohol.

Drinking alcohol rapidly during a short time span can increase its effects and should be avoided. Consuming alcohol on an empty stomach is a recipe for disaster, as is the ingestion of hot drinks with alcohol such as hot rum drinks or specialty coffee drinks.

Senior citizens are especially vulnerable to alcohol because of age-related changes. These include a marked decrease in body water, loss of muscle tissue, and decreased metabolism. Older people may also be taking medications that can hasten the effects of alcohol.

The mood of the drinker can also affect the response to alcohol. Anxiety or stress can hasten the rate of absorption. Anticipation can also affect the response to alcohol. People who engage in alcohol consumption often have expectations of how alcohol will influence their experience.

hmmmm, this would suggest that a fat person would get less drunk that a non-fat but non-muscular person...
Last edited by Hamtown Dave on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONE MAN CREW

Return to “Current Affairs”