Uber Flu in Mexico

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Phlegethon

Re: Uber Flu in Mexico

Postby Phlegethon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:34 pm

doom suuuuucks, play wolfenstein 3D

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:45 pm

This is pretty tech on da aids front...

A Drug To Re-Awaken Ancient Human Genes And Fight HIV
By Annalee Newitz,

"Junk DNA" are inactive parts of your genome, switched off long ago in evolutionary history. Now scientists say there's a junk gene that fights HIV. And they've discovered how to turn it back on.

What these scientists have done could give us the first foolproof HIV vaccine. They have re-awakened the human genome's latent potential to make us all into HIV-resistant creatures. This evening in PLoS Biology, they've published their ground-breaking research.

A group of scientists led by Nitya Venkataraman and Alexander Colewhether wanted to try a new approach to fighting HIV - one that worked with the body's own immune system. They knew Old World monkeys had a built-in immunity to HIV: a protein called retrocyclin, which can prevent HIV from entering cell walls and starting an infection. So they began poring over the human genome, looking to see if humans had a latent gene that could manufacture retrocyclin too. It turned out that we did, but a "nonsense mutation" in the gene had turned it off at some point in our evolutionary history.

Nonsense mutations are caused when random DNA code shows up in the middle of a gene, preventing it from beginning the process of manufacturing proteins in the cell. Venkataraman and her team decided to investigate this gene further, doing a series of tests to see if the retrocyclin it produced would keep HIV out of human cells. It did.

At last, they knew that if they could just figure out a way to reawaken the "junk" gene that creates retrocyclin in humans, they might be able to stop HIV infections. The researchers just needed to figure out a way to remove that nonsense mutation and get the target gene to start manufacturing retrocyclin again.

Here's where things really get interesting. The team found a way to use a compound called aminoglycosides, which itself can cause errors when RNA transcribes information from DNA to make proteins. But this time, the aminoglycoside error would work in their favor: It would cause that RNA to ignore the nonsense mutation in the junk gene, and therefore start making retrocyclin again. In preliminary tests, their scheme worked. The human cells made retrocyclin, fended off HIV, and effectively became AIDS-resistant. And it was done entirely using the latent potential in the so-called junk DNA of the human genome.

After more research is done, the researchers believe this might become a viable way to make humans immune to HIV infection.

What intrigues me, beyond the amazing idea of an AIDS vaccine, is that aminoglycosides have the potential to unlock the uses for other pieces of junk DNA. Those of you who read Greg Bear's novel Darwin's Radio know that this scenario is familiar scifi territory: In that book, humans start rapidly evolving after their junk DNA re-awakens in response to stress. Could we induce instant mutations, or gain other new immunities by using aminoglycosides on our junk DNA? What would it mean to have the whole crazy, giant human genome at our command?

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlser ... 00095&ct=1
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:51 pm

sims wrote:do anyof you cunts even have a survival kit incase they start quarantining? sooner or later we will have another serious plague like pandemic, this could be it now! fuck who knows...

yea... anybody??? survival? or she'll be right??

im treating this about as seriously as i treated bird flu and the y2k bug.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:01 pm

snuff wrote:This is pretty tech on da aids front...

A Drug To Re-Awaken Ancient Human Genes And Fight HIV
By Annalee Newitz,
[Snip]

What intrigues me, beyond the amazing idea of an AIDS vaccine, is that aminoglycosides have the potential to unlock the uses for other pieces of junk DNA. Those of you who read Greg Bear's novel Darwin's Radio know that this scenario is familiar scifi territory: In that book, humans start rapidly evolving after their junk DNA re-awakens in response to stress. Could we induce instant mutations, or gain other new immunities by using aminoglycosides on our junk DNA? What would it mean to have the whole crazy, giant human genome at our command?

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perlser ... 00095&ct=1

Fuck yeah, Darwin's radio ruled. I want super senses.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Sounds like some of those kids have it, just heard an update on the news.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

Fjaye

Postby Fjaye » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:27 pm

the croc wrote:Sounds like some of those kids have it, just heard an update on the news.

Just saw that too. well fuck, not keen eh. Doesnt even have cool pork related side effects.
cool guy69 wrote:fuck up everything you say is fuckin gay,say soemthing cool for once in your life

yipeeyiyo

Postby yipeeyiyo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:29 pm

well i live near rangitoto, i even have a swineystudent next door.. and im pretty far down the health bar atm, so honestly im a little freaked out! the flu freaking kills sick people!

Dennis from Accounts

Postby Dennis from Accounts » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:32 pm

take a strepsil and shut the fuck up.
Forums Member of the Year (28.3%)

I've seen the future brother, it is murder.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:36 pm

I heard that the swine flu doesnt kill people, it's the secondary infection which kills.
No need to worry about the swine flue.. just try not to get pneumonia straight afterwards.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

The Oriental Express

Postby The Oriental Express » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:42 pm

snuff wrote:Been training for years...

Our generation will be sweet.
Drool? Check
Vacant look in eyes? Check
Static on TV and Radio silence? Check
Obviously a zombie! BLAST IT

Phlegethon

Postby Phlegethon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 pm

yipeeyiyo wrote:the flu freaking kills sick people!

:angel: :angel: :angel:

snuff

Postby snuff » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:48 pm

What recession?

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:48 pm

Our cases have been confirmed.
We gots the swine flu yo.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

snuff

Postby snuff » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:57 pm

That means WHO have to raise it to level 5 yeah?

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:05 pm

snuff wrote:That means WHO have to raise it to level 5 yeah?

Neg, cant remember why though.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Isn't it weird that everyone who catches it that isn't a third world peasant living in squalor just gets better?

LIKE EVERY SINGLE OTHER FUCKING FLU.

The combined death toll of new zealanders from SARS, terrorism, bird flu, comet strike, being beaten using cheese, nuclear attack, the entire cold war, communism in general, hippies, peace, free love, gay marriage and the death of Princess Diana=Z-E-FUCKING-R-O

Grave Dancer

Postby Grave Dancer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:28 pm

yeah, that's what someone on sideswipe said today

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:53 pm

Grave Dancer wrote:yeah, that's what someone on sideswipe said today

fuck you too :P

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 am

Some more links I found on another site:

On Friday, the U.S. disease-tracking blog Biosurveillance published a timeline of the outbreak containing this nugget, dated April 6 (major tip of the hat to Paula Hay, who alerted me to the Smithfield link on the Comfood listserv and has written about it on her blog, Peak Oil Entrepreneur):

Residents [of Perote] believed the outbreak had been caused by contamination from pig breeding farms located in the area. They believed that the farms, operated by Granjas Carroll, polluted the atmosphere and local water bodies, which in turn led to the disease outbreak. According to residents, the company denied responsibility for the outbreak and attributed the cases to “flu.” However, a municipal health official stated that preliminary investigations indicated that the disease vector was a type of fly that reproduces in pig waste and that the outbreak was linked to the pig farms. It was unclear whether health officials had identified a suspected pathogen responsible for this outbreak.

From what I can tell, the possible link to Smithfield has not been reported in the U.S. press. Searches of Google News and the websites of the New York Times, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal all came up empty. The link is being made in the Mexican media, however. “Granjas Carroll, causa de epidemia en La Gloria,” declared a headline in the Vera Cruz-based paper La Marcha. No need to translate that, except to point out that La Gloria is the village where the outbreak seems to have started. Judging from the article, Mexican authorities treat hog CAFOs with just as much if not more indulgence than their peers north of the border, to the detriment of surrounding communities and the general public health.

http://www.grist.org/article/2009-04-25-swine-flu-smithfield/

BBC reports some eyewitness accounts:

I work as a resident doctor in one of the biggest hospitals in Mexico City and sadly, the situation is far from "under control". As a doctor, I realise that the media does not report the truth. Authorities distributed vaccines among all the medical personnel with no results, because two of my partners who worked in this hospital (interns) were killed by this new virus in less than six days even though they were vaccinated as all of us were. The official number of deaths is 20, nevertheless, the true number of victims are more than 200. I understand that we must avoid to panic, but telling the truth it might be better now to prevent and avoid more deaths.
Yeny Gregorio Dávila, Mexico City

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:37 am

phaedrus wrote:
yossarian wrote:Isn't it weird that everyone who catches it that isn't a third world peasant living in squalor just gets better?

LIKE EVERY SINGLE OTHER FUCKING FLU.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8019100.stm wrote:* Eleven confirmed infections in the US
* In addition, eight suspected cases are being investigated at a New York City high school where about 200 students fell mildly ill with flu-like symptoms
* Ten New Zealand students are among a group which travelled to Mexico have tested positive for influenza A - making it "likely", though not definite, that they are infected with swine flu, said Health Minister Tony Ryall
* In France, a top health official told Le Parisien newspaper there were unconfirmed suspicions that two individuals who had just returned from Mexico may be carrying the virus
* Spain's health ministry says three people who returned from a trip from Mexico with flu symptoms are in isolation and being tested
* In Israel, medics are testing a 26-year-old man who has been taken to hospital with flu-like symptoms after returning from a trip to Mexico
* But a UK hospital conducting tests for swine flu on a British Airways cabin crew member said the tests proved negative.

<<SNIP>>

Mexico's Health Secretary, Jose Cordova, said a total of 1,324 people had been admitted to hospital with suspected symptoms since 13 April and were being tested for the virus.

"In that same period, 81 deaths were recorded probably linked to the virus but only in 20 cases we have the laboratory tests to confirm it," he said.

So the total they mention (from a couple/few days ago) from non-Mexico, including a confirmed non-case (GOTTA REPORT THAT!) and some people being tested cause they're a bit tired = 36
Total they report for Mexico = 1,324

Yeah, it'll be that the people in Mexico are poor and living in squalor that's doing it... not that it started there and has had longer to affect people or that they have a couple more cases for there to be chances of death from ;)

uh, 20 out of 1324 in mexico...have you looked into mexico's health system? Even in a third world country that's a kill rate of .2%...have a look what the kill rate of influenza is annually. And let's just reiterate that there is a 100% recovery rate in all first world countries. Just like Avian flu and rural China. I know it's not PC but you're just gonna have to deal with the fact that people living in poverty in third world countries may not have access to the best modern medicine has to offer :roll:

kimura

Postby kimura » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:09 am

2 Deaths in the U.S overnight - still to be tested,
A death rate of 2 percent is still pretty shit when you consider that is still millions of people world wide?

Wont be raised to level 5 untill there is a more consistant and sustained spread in another couple of countries other than mexico.

Not freaking out about it, but taking a few precautions and staying updated,

www.newsnow.co.uk updated news every 5 minutes from all media sources.

kimura

Postby kimura » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:20 am

phaedrus wrote:
kimura wrote:but taking a few precautions

like not mixing with other humans or pigs?

Just keeping away from shoregirls and soccer matches

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:37 am

kimura wrote:2 Deaths in the U.S overnight - still to be tested,
A death rate of 2 percent is still pretty shit when you consider that is still millions of people world wide?

Wont be raised to level 5 untill there is a more consistant and sustained spread in another couple of countries other than mexico.

Not freaking out about it, but taking a few precautions and staying updated,

http://www.newsnow.co.uk updated news every 5 minutes from all media sources.

not 2%, 0.2%

Craig_Bastard

Postby Craig_Bastard » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:42 am

yeah l2decimal.
http://thestungrenades.bandcamp.com
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:49 am

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:04 am

Soooo... I haven't been feeling too good lately...

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:54 am

Any word how Vasely is doing after the SG Mexico tour?

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:54 am

General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 pm

kimura wrote:
phaedrus wrote:
kimura wrote:but taking a few precautions

like not mixing with other humans or pigs?

Just keeping away from shoregirls and soccer matches

You're missing out then.. Shoregirls > Swine flu
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:43 pm

I had the flu about a month ago and I've had a persistent cough ever since. I had a coughing fit on the bus just before. There were some unhappy looking punters indeed.

What I really want is a t-shirt that says Swine Flu 2009 World Tour with a diseased hog on the front and a list of dates and places on the back.
Last edited by General Mutante on Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Current Affairs”