Racist Lollies

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
hamburger

Racist Lollies

Postby hamburger » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:34 pm

HUMBLE ESKIMO LOLLY LEAVES A BAD TASTE FOR TOURIST

Wellington, April 21 NZPA - It ’s as much a staple of New Zealand sweet confectionary as pineapple lumps and spearmint leaves, but the marshmallow Eskimo has been deemed offensive to native Canadians and may require a makeover.

Canadian tourist Seeka Lee Veevee Parsons, 21, an Inuit of the Nunavut Territory in Canada, was shocked when she found the lollies for sale last week, saying they are an insult to her people.

The word Eskimo was unacceptable in her country and carried with it negative racial connotations, she told the Taranaki Daily News.

The correct term was Inuit, Ms Parsons said.

"I was taken aback. When I was a little girl white kids in the community used to tease me about it in a bad way. It ’s just not the correct term."

She intends sending packets of the iconic confectionary to the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and her grandfather, a Inuit tribal elder in the Nunavut Territory.

Not only has the name of the lolly aroused painful memories, she believes the shape is an unfair stereotype of her people.

"We are much more of a people than that image. We have deep ties to the land and an ancient culture and I think we should be recognised as that and not just a marshmallow figure."

A spokesman for Cadbury/Pascall, which makes the sweets, said the product had been in the market for many years and it was never their intention to offend anyone.

He was unable to say whether the lolly shape and name would be changed now they had been made aware it had caused offence.
The Face wrote: spitroasted some sluzza

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Re: Racist Lollies

Postby FC » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Didnt some canadian company rip off the haka last year or something?

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

beef666
<3 tofu

Postby beef666 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Fuck Eskimos
http://www.myspace.com/abortedchristians666

dimery wrote: no beef with nobody, down for whatever, smoke weed every day

Lurch wrote:Zane has a secret Fred Durst shrine in his room. True story.

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:55 pm

I was always disappointed in Eskimo Pies not actually being pies.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

beef666
<3 tofu

Postby beef666 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:57 pm

just put that shit in the microwave yo
http://www.myspace.com/abortedchristians666

dimery wrote: no beef with nobody, down for whatever, smoke weed every day

Lurch wrote:Zane has a secret Fred Durst shrine in his room. True story.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:35 pm

FC wrote:Didnt some canadian company rip off the haka last year or something?

Aidan

Yes.

Its not like they are called "snow nigger bars"

Fuck get over yourself bitch.

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Only solution is to change their name to "Snow Nigger Bars"

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 pm

I thought they'd changed them all to penguins because of this very thing.

Bitch needs to chill out... it's a lump of sugar ffs.

pattymayonnaise
süße titten

Postby pattymayonnaise » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:52 pm

Lolly cake ftw

kimura

Postby kimura » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:01 pm

Phlegm wrote:I was always disappointed in Eskimo Pies not actually being pies.

....or an Eskimo

The Leperchaun

Postby The Leperchaun » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:13 pm

They have eskimo pies everywhere. It's not just an NZ thing. Some American dude invented them. Weird how they never heard of them before.
Everywhere I went it felt like they were watching me; fish-white flesh puckered by the Highland breeze; tight eyes peering out for fresh meat; screechy, booze-soaked voices hollering out for a taxi to take ‘em halfway up the road to the next all-night watering hole. A shatter of glass; a round of applause; a sixteen-year-old mother of three vomiting in an open sewer, bairns looking on, chewing on potato cakes. I ain’t never going back… not never.

hamburger

Postby hamburger » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Eskimos - best lollies ever
The Face wrote: spitroasted some sluzza

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:13 pm

racist

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:33 pm

that is undoubtedly the biggest offense in the history of igloo dwellers.
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:48 pm

In Canada and Greenland the term Eskimo is widely held to be pejorative and has fallen out of favor, largely supplanted by the term Inuit. However, while Inuit describes all of the Eskimo peoples in Canada and Greenland, that is not true in Alaska and Siberia. In Alaska the term Eskimo is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik and Inupiat, while Inuit is not accepted as a collective term or even specifically used for Inupiat (which technically is Inuit). No universal replacement term for Eskimo, inclusive of all Inuit and Yupik people, is accepted across the geographical area inhabited by the Inuit and Yupik peoples.

from everyone's favourite free content encyclopaedia.

does this mean that she's up in arms about the word eskimo only as it applies inside canada and greenland? outside of those regions inuit is a sub-group of the term eskimo.

bit racial.
dream comfort memory despair

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:50 pm

I'd be stoked as if my ethnic minority were made in to a tasty snack.. who would even know what an eskimo is without the candy or ice cream?! Tasty and informative!
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:57 pm

She believed it was also offensive because food shortages had been an issue for Inuit people in the past. "The notion of cannibalism is a real thing."

So eating candy shaped like a person = cannibalism?
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:59 pm

why do you think there are no more pink, green and yellow inuits?
dream comfort memory despair

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:29 pm

if that were true santa would be fuckin pissed off at thousands of his effigy's being forged in marshmallow and sent around the world for children to consume with glee.
its more like that woman is saying the actual people are made of marshmallow, and making some sort of protest against the sale of such meats...
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

The Ost
mutton chops

Postby The Ost » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Can't wait for the headline: "Prime Minister Of Canada enjoys delicious, racist snack."
"Society makes easy targets; colour, creed, sex. " - The Proletariat

INITIO CLUB: "Better than the crap people" since 1997

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:43 pm

steeltoedsneakers wrote:
In Canada and Greenland the term Eskimo is widely held to be pejorative and has fallen out of favor, largely supplanted by the term Inuit. However, while Inuit describes all of the Eskimo peoples in Canada and Greenland, that is not true in Alaska and Siberia. In Alaska the term Eskimo is commonly used, because it includes both Yupik and Inupiat, while Inuit is not accepted as a collective term or even specifically used for Inupiat (which technically is Inuit). No universal replacement term for Eskimo, inclusive of all Inuit and Yupik people, is accepted across the geographical area inhabited by the Inuit and Yupik peoples.

from everyone's favourite free content encyclopaedia.

does this mean that she's up in arms about the word eskimo only as it applies inside canada and greenland? outside of those regions inuit is a sub-group of the term eskimo.

bit racial.

I think this girl is being a bit of a griefer, but I also think that the point that everyone is missing is not whether or not eskimo is a perjorative or inappropriate term, but whether it is appropriate to name an unrelated snack after any cultural group. The meaning and usage of eskimo is neither here nor there, but we wouldn't name a candy 'Maoris', or 'Indians' or whatever, because that would be deemed inappropriate.

It may seem pretty innocent and inconsequential, but these sweets do rely on a stereotypical image of 'eskimos', or whatever, and an at least controversial name for a group of cultures who would probably rather not be just lumped in the same pot.

I don't think there is anything inherently horrible or racist in the lollies themselves, but I have always thought that they would one day fall beneath the wheels of our evolving standards of decency and diversity. What has been most shocking about this story is the racist bile (check out the your veiws section on the herald website relating to this story) that it has stimulated from a fair few precious bastards who would cling to eskimo sweets like they're something holy.
The parasites are excited when you're dead; eyes bulging, entering your head; and all your thoughts yeah, they rot.

Phlegethon

Postby Phlegethon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Adam The Muss wrote:I'd be stoked as if my ethnic minority were made in to a tasty snack..

exactly, i would be happy if there was a lollie called a "mongrel"

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:32 pm

hamburger wrote:She intends sending packets of the iconic confectionary to the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and her grandfather, a Inuit tribal elder in the Nunavut Territory.

Fuck I had the hella South Park moment reading that imagining the Canadian .Govt in all its flappy head goodness preparing it's airforce to come bomb the Finn family... :lol:
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:06 pm

fuck, i agree with fearful jesuit.

of course almost everyone on page one pretty much looks like a douche now.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

Jakeage

Postby Jakeage » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:24 pm

Fucken gross lollies, same with those shitty bananas that are pretty much exactly the same.
Suspect wrote:if you could move along walls with your arms spread out looking furtively around corners before slipping around them, and dash hunched crablike across any open ground.
youre sure to go unnoticed

Bruticus

Postby Bruticus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:01 pm

Jelly Babies are candy abortion. Pro-lifers and mothers alike should be up in arms
If I had a bag of chips I'd eat them

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Jakeage wrote:Fucken gross lollies, same with those shitty bananas that are pretty much exactly the same.

fuck of
they are the best ones

Dennis from Accounts

Postby Dennis from Accounts » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:09 pm

who cares about racism when there's delicious treats to be had

Forums Member of the Year (28.3%)

I've seen the future brother, it is murder.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 pm

yellowbus wrote:
Jakeage wrote:Fucken gross lollies, same with those shitty bananas that are pretty much exactly the same.

fuck of
they are the best ones
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

JohnnyCakes

Postby JohnnyCakes » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:10 am

Inuit liberal pantywaist horribly offended and FUCKS OFF BACK TO OWN COUNTRY TO HAVE A CRYWANK

= mission accomplished.

I think we all deserve a marshmallow candy treat in the shape of an indigenous culture for that one. :mrgreen:
JohnnyCakes wrote:Dolf is such an awesome power.

Brigid Nielsen, Gary Busey and Don Swayze probably stop by every Sunday for a Jacuzzi and Impromptu Scientific Forum.

*rapt dream-like gaze*

Return to “Current Affairs”