$500 fine for shooting a cat with a cross-bow

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
xsfat

$500 fine for shooting a cat with a cross-bow

Postby xsfat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:26 am

Penalties handed down for cruelty towards animals have been alarmingly low and completely ineffective
Even deliberate, callous and depraved torture of animals usually result in manifestly inadequate fines or community service.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10560807

The SPCA is considering appealing against the sentence of a man fined just $500 for shooting a cat with a crossbow, inflicting fatal injuries. Peter James Cooksley, 48, pleaded guilty to wilful ill-treatment under the Animal Welfare Act after admitting that he shot the cat because it ate a chicken off his kitchen bench and sprayed urine on his stereo speaker.

The charge admitted by Mr Cooksley carries a maximum penalty of up to three years' jail or a fine of up to $50,000. Judge Charles Blackie yesterday fined Mr Cooksley $500 plus court costs of $130 and prosecution and veterinary costs of $888.58 in the Manukau District Court.

David Lloyd-Barker, general manager of the Auckland SPCA, said: "We are considering appealing against the decision. We're disappointed considering the severity of what this animal suffered. But at the end of the day, that is what the judge decided." Mr Lloyd-Barker said a request for the crossbow to be destroyed was ignored, so Mr Cooksley has asked for the weapon to be returned to him.

The court heard an SPCA inspector was called to Manurewa just after 1pm on December 30, after a woman found the injured cat in her carport. The cat had a crossbow bolt directly through its body, was "extremely pale" and struggling to move. The SPCA inspector had to remove the arrow with bolt cutters before surgery, but the cat died an hour after the operation.

Following media coverage of the attack that night, Mr Cooksley went to the Manukau police station and admitted shooting the cat earlier that day. He later told the SPCA he shot the cat because it had come inside and eaten the chicken off the kitchen bench and then sprayed urine on his speaker.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/spca-fi ... es-2530468

SPCA fights rising number of cruelty cases

An increase in the number of animal cruelty cases has prompted the Auckland SPCA to step up its campaign of zero tolerance for offenders who abuse and neglect animals. A prosecution appeal has been launched to raise money to fund prosecution of the rising number of animal cruelty cases in the Auckland region. Inspectors in Auckland have prosecuted more than 40 people over the past 12 months, under the Animal Welfare Act.

Auckland SPCA general manager David Lloyd-Barker says it was a time-consuming and particularly expensive process. SPCA inspectors spent hours compiling evidence prior to a court appearance, and a single day in a defended trial could cost up to $10,000, he said. "We are getting more and more cases which need defending. We need to employ a barrister each time and barristers cost money. One case recently ran to $15,000." "We're reliant on people's generosity. We need to raise much-needed funds so that prosecutions can continue, as we strive to stem the tide of animal cruelty cases," Lloyd-Barker says.

This month alone, there have been several cases up before the courts showing "sickening levels of animal cruelty", he says. In Manukau District Court on Monday, Peter James Cooksley, 42, of Manurewa, appeared on a charge of wilful ill-treatment of an animal causing death. Cooksley shot a nine-month-old male cat with a crossbow in December. The cat died despite surgery to remove the crossbow bolt, which had split one of its kidneys in two. Judge Charles Blackie convicted and fined Cooksley $500 and awarded $800 costs to the SPCA.

On Wednesday, a man will appear in Manukau District Court charged with a barbaric attack on a pet goat last month. The goat was tethered to the towbar of a car and forced to run behind it. When she could run no longer, she was dragged for several kilometres behind the vehicle. This month Wayne Vernon Joseph Williams was due to appear in Manukau District Court for sentencing after admitting beating a terrier with a pipe, then strangling it to death.

Lloyd-Barker says he hoped Williams would get the maximum sentence of three years' jail. "This is the animal welfare equivalent of murder which was deliberately premeditated," he says. Lloyd-Barker says all proceeds from the appeal would go directly to the prosecution fund. "These cases are taking their toll on our resources but we have no intention of slowing down our mission to prosecute offenders," he says.

It really wouldn't matter how many more cases are prosecuted based on the current trend of case law.
What is really needed is a consolidated appeal before a full High Court to challenge the manifestly inadequate results and sentencing principles under the Animal Welfare Act

Rob Anybody

Re: $500 fine for shooting a cat with a cross-bow

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 am

ive found that some people just dont like cats.

me i like em, but you know, fucking retards getting all upset about this type of thing is manifestly contra to purpose.

fuck off basically, this country needs to have all the cats wiped out, RIGHT NOW.

its pretty bullshit how people who design themslves as those with some sort of higher moral stance are controlled almost exclusively by emotional subjects.

dont see anyone moaning about cruelty to possums anyway.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:59 am

Phil: I don't like you, but I wouldn't shoot you with a crossbow.

xsfat wrote:It really wouldn't matter how many more cases are prosecuted based on the current trend of case law.
What is really needed is a consolidated appeal before a full High Court to challenge the manifestly inadequate results and sentencing principles under the Animal Welfare Act

Optimistic. I'm pretty sure HC judges have handed down low-end penalties before. We need legislative reform, at least.
Green | Vegan | Straight Edge | Tattooed | Lawyer | Cyclist | PMA

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 am

is that so?
would you like to duel me with crossbows?

point is you people only care when its cats, you waste so much time and effort, oh god this is actually too annoying.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:40 am

Gotta love the mythical 'you people...' line of defense.

I think there may well be a slight difference between culling an overpopulated pest humanely and with a minimum of suffering, and spitefully shooting a domestic animal with a crossbow because you're a fucking redneck piece of shit. Cruelty to animals is a low form of expression and those that indulge or are amused by it deserve to be punished severely.

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:47 am

yeh i agree, i hate cruelty, i just think 'you people' are chasing your tails, much worse happens everyday, i once clubbed a cute kitten to death with an axehandle cos it was in my trap, i bet it wasnt very nice for the kitten you know?

i certainly didnt enjoy it.

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 am

Rob Anybody wrote:yeh i agree, i hate cruelty, i just think 'you people' are chasing your tails, much worse happens everyday, i once clubbed a cute kitten to death with an axehandle cos it was in my trap, i bet it wasnt very nice for the kitten you know?

i certainly didnt enjoy it.

Kittenslayer

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 am

i dunno, i jsut re-read xsfats first post, i was pretty pissed my reply and therefore point are a bit irrelevant to the topic, i like cats, but i still think they need to go(and 90% of people)

BOOT GIRL

Postby BOOT GIRL » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:31 am

hiv-positive wrote:Gotta love the mythical 'you people...' line of defense.

I think there may well be a slight difference between culling an overpopulated pest humanely and with a minimum of suffering, and spitefully shooting a domestic animal with a crossbow because you're a fucking redneck piece of shit. Cruelty to animals is a low form of expression and those that indulge or are amused by it deserve to be punished severely.

I would'nt call being poisioned by 1080 Humane

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:33 am

It ate his chicken and pissed on his stereo. Fairs fair I say.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:51 am

BOOT GIRL wrote:

yeh 1080 is fucked, it needs to be scrapped, we just need a government without its brain in its ass as simple as that, bring back bountys for tails and shit.

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Rob Anybody wrote:point is you people only care when its cats, you waste so much time and effort, oh god this is actually too annoying.

I only care when it's cats? You're insane, man.

[url="http://about.me/david.tong"]Me[/url] | [url="http://www.p3foundation.org/"]My charity[/url] | [url="http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/teams.asp?a=show_team_pages&eventid=30&teamid=6235"]My Trailkwalker team[/url]

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:31 pm

I'm pretty sure HC judges have handed down low-end penalties before. We need legislative reform, at least.

Although Health and Safety is not much of an analogy, but you'll find that courts had resisted raising fine and reparation orders, even when the maximum penalty was increased 500% by parliament. The Department of Labour appealed many times to the HC without much success, until the recent full HC judgment of Hanham.

The animal welfare sentencing appeals that I have read gives me the impression that the judges have relied on previous cases, rather than express sentencing principles, or clarify mitigating and aggravating factors in the animal welfare context.

A simple change to the Animal Welfare Act could be expressly incorporating the Sentencing Act, including section 8(c):
the court must impose the maximum penalty prescribed for the offence if the offending is within the most serious of cases for which that penalty is prescribed, unless circumstances relating to the offender make that inappropriate

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm

David xvx Ludd wrote:
Rob Anybody wrote:point is you people only care when its cats, you waste so much time and effort, oh god this is actually too annoying.

I only care when it's cats? You're insane, man.

god... youre just so wet

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:22 pm

BOOT GIRL wrote:

Fair call - I forgot all about 1080. What ever happened to paying some cunts to go for wanders around the shrub with a .22? Daft as.

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:34 pm

agreed, bring back the bounty, now is a perfect time with a recession on the way and unemployed numbers rising.

YULE

Postby YULE » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:55 pm

won't bounties mainly affect the fringes/easily accessible areas of the forests, leaving the main population and really huge areas largely untouched?

I'd also be interested in knowing how much it costs for 1080 to kill possums. The economics of it could be kinda interesting.

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:02 pm

i dunno man, depends how poor we get

I'd also be interested in knowing how much it costs for 1080 to kill possums. The economics of it could be kinda interesting.

likewise.

did any cunts see that thing on cambell live about native birds eating the bait and shit like that?

1080 shouldnt ever have been used, i know why and wherefore, and i totally undertsand the rationale, but hundreds/thousands of unemployed guys would waste the possum population, fuck if the maoris could wipe out moas, why the fuck cant we take out possums? those things are hopless at evasion, they are stupid, slow and complacent.

rats now, that would be HARD
Last edited by Rob Anybody on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

serbian war dog

Postby serbian war dog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:04 pm

Here are a random bunch of observations, there is no point to my post:
- I like cats, I like dogs too
- I have a crossbow but would only pick on someone my own size. Anything smaller and I would just feel like a big fat bully and ultimately a weak coward
- Jeffrey Dammer and many other serial killers used to be cruel to small animals when they were children
- Jeffrey Dammer used to drill holes in the head of the gay men he picked up so he could turn them into sex zombies
- Possums eat the bark off native trees effectively ring barking them so the cool little native birds with cool colours and neat songs have nowhere to live and their numbers dwindle possibly leading to extinction
- I once met a guy in London who was in with the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) and CRASS
- The ALF is now regarded as a Terrorist organisation
- People don't wanna mess with the ALF
- Society is more worried about people hurting people than people hurting animals
- There are too many people in the world
Ich hasse Leute

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:09 pm

serbian war dog wrote:Here are a random bunch of observations, there is no point to my post:
- I like cats, I like dogs too
me too

- I have a crossbow but would only pick on someone my own size. Anything smaller and I would just feel like a big fat bully and ultimately a weak coward
again me too

Jeffrey Dammer and many other serial killers used to be cruel to small animals when they were children
yh he was a fuckwit alright.

- Jeffrey Dammer used to drill holes in the head of the gay men he picked up so he could turn them into sex zombies
ok thats kinda cool.

- Possums eat the bark off native trees effectively ring barking them so the cool little native birds with cool colours and neat songs have nowhere to live and their numbers dwindle possibly leading to extinction
thats not all they do by a long, long shot.

- I once met a guy in London who was in with the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) and CRASS
fuck crass

- The ALF is now regarded as a Terrorist organisation
fuck the ALF

- People don't wanna mess with the ALF
hahaha

- Society is more worried about people hurting people than people hurting animals
hypocrites i think.

- There are too many people in the world
so very, very, unfortunately true.

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Rob Anybody wrote:
David xvx Ludd wrote: god... youre just so wet

And you're a moist fruitcake, chump.

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:19 pm

I love a good fruitcake. Just sayin..
The parasites are excited when you're dead; eyes bulging, entering your head; and all your thoughts yeah, they rot.

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:24 pm

you guys should have a debate, my moneys on daev the conservative right wing guy

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Rob Anybody wrote:you guys should have a debate, my moneys on daev the conservative right wing guy

What, a debate between Dave the right wing conservative hippy douche and Dave the liberal tattooed vegan lawyer about the merits of fruitcake?

Maybe if ImportxDavex adjudicates..
The parasites are excited when you're dead; eyes bulging, entering your head; and all your thoughts yeah, they rot.

David xvx Ludd

Postby David xvx Ludd » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:05 am

I have a far better haircut, Dave...

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:31 am

as long as the NF starts in the middle.
dream comfort memory despair

homosexualblackjew

Postby homosexualblackjew » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:44 am

I like catz, but I wouldn't scream for blood over dis...

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:58 am

nazi scum wrote:The idea to arm the unemployed to hunt possums has possible repercussions. Get the Black Power to start at one end of the forest, Mongrels at the other, may be able to rid the country of afew more pests.

dont see why, we used to do it, oh yeh it should be elective, not a work for the dole type scheme, but a viable way to make a living like deer culling used to be.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:17 pm

i love cats to the point of insanity.

but i'm also sure i've said that on this board in much the same kind of thread before.

:twisted: < cat
http://aotearoa666.com/

Danny Morrissey
"elmo fag"

Postby Danny Morrissey » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:33 pm

His defence sounds bullshit to me.

My money is on the chicken/pissing never happening, and he's just an old redneck who hates cats on his property – there are a lot of them around.

Return to “Current Affairs”