1% of US adults in prison

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Rizzo

1% of US adults in prison

Postby Rizzo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:14 pm

For the first time in history, more than one in every 100 American adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report.

The report, released Thursday by the Pew Center on the States, said the 50 states spent more than $49 billion on corrections last year, up from less than $11 billion 20 years earlier. The rate of increase for prison costs was six times greater than for higher education spending, the report said.

Using updated state-by-state data, the report said 2,319,258 adults were held in U.S. prisons or jails at the start of 2008 -- one out of every 99.1 adults, and more than any other country in the world.

The steadily growing inmate population "is saddling cash-strapped states with soaring costs they can ill afford and failing to have a clear impact either on recidivism or overall crime," the report said.

Susan Urahn, managing director of the Pew Center on the States, said budget woes are prompting officials in many states to consider new, cost-saving corrections policies that might have been shunned in the recent past for fear of appearing soft in crime.

"We're seeing more and more states being creative because of tight budgets," she said in an interview. "They want to be tough on crime, they want to be a law-and-order state -- but they also want to save money, and they want to be effective."

The report cited Kansas and Texas as states which have acted decisively to slow the growth of their inmate population. Their actions include greater use of community supervision for low-risk offenders and employing sanctions other than reimprisonment for ex-offenders who commit technical violations of parole and probation rules.

"The new approach, born of bipartisan leadership, is allowing the two states to ensure they have enough prison beds for violent offenders while helping less dangerous lawbreakers become productive, taxpaying citizens," the report said.
Don't Miss

While many state governments have shown bipartisan interest in curbing prison growth, there also are persistent calls to proceed cautiously.

"We need to be smarter," said David Muhlhausen, a criminal justice expert with the conservative Heritage Foundation. "We're not incarcerating all the people who commit serious crimes -- but we're also probably incarcerating people who don't need to be."

According to the report, the inmate population increased last year in 36 states and the federal prison system.

The largest percentage increase -- 12 percent -- was in Kentucky, where Gov. Steve Beshear highlighted the cost of corrections in his budget speech last month. He noted that the state's crime rate had increased only about 3 percent in the past 30 years, while the state's inmate population has increased by 600 percent.

The Pew report was compiled by the Center on the State's Public Safety Performance Project, which is working directly with 13 states on developing programs to divert offenders from prison without jeopardizing public safety.

"For all the money spent on corrections today, there hasn't been a clear and convincing return for public safety," said the project's director, Adam Gelb. "More and more states are beginning to rethink their reliance on prisons for lower-level offenders and finding strategies that are tough on crime without being so tough on taxpayers."

The report said prison growth and higher incarceration rates do not reflect a parallel increase in crime or in the nation's overall population. Instead, it said, more people are behind bars mainly because of tough sentencing measures, such as "three-strikes" laws, that result in longer prison stays.

"For some groups, the incarceration numbers are especially startling," the report said. "While one in 30 men between the ages of 20 and 34 is behind bars, for black males in that age group the figure is one in nine."

The nationwide figures, as of January 1, include 1,596,127 people in state and federal prisons and 723,131 in local jails -- a total 2,319,258 out of almost 230 million American adults.

The report said the United States is the world's incarceration leader, far ahead of more populous China with 1.5 million people behind bars. It said the U.S. also is the leader in inmates per capita (750 per 100,000 people), ahead of Russia (628 per 100,000) and other former Soviet bloc nations which make up the rest of the Top 10.

Source

A bit fucked really. I saw a really interesting talk given by Angela Davis at the Auckland uni last year about prisons. Definitely worth looking into if the penal system interests you.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:07 pm

yes i'd like to rerig its jig

crain
niggativity scene

Postby crain » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:17 pm

1:30 for people in my age and 1:9 for blacks in my age is pretty nuts. isn't new zealand second per capita for it's high incarceration rate as far as "western" countries go?

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Certainly are!
Go us.
Just another statistic where we're doing well.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:46 pm

fuck kiwis ignore everything, its quite disconcerting.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:02 pm

It's quite bizarre how insular a lot of the population can be really. I would imagine most people have no issue with imprisoning people who've been busted for growing weed etc, minor but somewhat illegal stuff.
I can totally understand the point of view that drug dealers etc need to be punished but so many of the people in our prisons are for drug related offenses that hardly even matter.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:09 pm

i'm writin a proposal for a party of ideas to be enacted by communties etc to be herd far and wide.

people are starting to fight back perse but its not enough.

Holiday Menthol.

Postby Holiday Menthol. » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Like, pass the parcel and shit?
Prince of Cats - PunkAs Royalty.

yossarian wrote:widdily widdily widdily widdily widdily widdily woooooooooooooooooooo

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:13 pm

:?:

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:16 pm

Gangsta Nigguh Hard!! wrote:1:30 for people in my age and 1:9 for blacks in my age is pretty nuts.

Yeah, that's just crazy. Imagine if one in every nine of your friends was in prison. I had no idea the numbers were that high, it's staggering.

I guess the key stats are around what charges result in all the jail time being served.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:18 pm

time for change cause the polis 'rely don't givea shit or are so far up their arse, they don't give a shit'.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:47 pm

Matt wrote:I guess the key stats are around what charges result in all the jail time being served.

I think it's highly attributable to the 3 strikes you're out sort of policies. You'd probably find there are a lot of people serving life sentences for possession and minor burglary etc.
Sure, theft sucks but really, it's definitely something that can be easily rehabilitated in most cases. Not something you should condemn someone for life for right?
From what I know of the US prison system (and in some respects ours too) it's very much a way of life for many. You know, get convicted, get jailed, learn some more tricks, get out, do something else and go back in. Bit fucked really but it can be changed I'm sure.
God I feel blairish sometimes.

YouAgain

Postby YouAgain » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Matt wrote:
Yeah, that's just crazy. Imagine if one in every nine of your friends was in prison. I had no idea the numbers were that high, it's staggering.

I wish I had nine friends!!!

Postby ... » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:52 pm

didnt you read the thread? if you did then you would be the one in prison!

YouAgain

Postby YouAgain » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:31 pm

ph!1 wrote:didnt you read the thread? if you did then you would be the one in prison!

at least i'd have 9 friends who would come visit me!!!!

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:12 am

A better source for the story and some additional info below
http://www.lawfuel.co.nz/releases/relea ... NewsID=259

However, the national recidivism rate remains virtually unchanged, with about half of released inmates returning to jail or prison within three years. And while violent criminals and other serious offenders account for some of the growth, many inmates are low-level offenders or people who have violated the terms of their probation or parole.
A close examination of the most recent U.S. Department of Justice data (2006) found that while one in 30 men between the ages of 20 and 34 is behind bars, the figure is one in nine for black males in that age group. Men are still roughly 13 times more likely to be incarcerated, but the female population is expanding at a far brisker pace. For black women in their mid- to late-30s, the incarceration rate also has hit the one-in-100 mark. In addition, one in every 53 adults in their 20s is behind bars; the rate for those over 55 is one in 837.

The report points out the necessity of locking up violent and repeat offenders, but notes that prison growth and higher incarceration rates do not reflect a parallel increase in crime, or a corresponding surge in the nation’s population at large. Instead, more people are behind bars principally because of a wave of policy choices that are sending more lawbreakers to prison and, through popular “three-strikes” measures and other sentencing laws, imposing longer prison stays on inmates.

As a result, states’ corrections costs have risen substantially. Twenty years ago, the states collectively spent $10.6 billion of their general funds—their primary discretionary dollars—on corrections. Last year, they spent more than $44 billion in general funds, a 315 percent jump, and more than $49 billion in total funds from all sources. Coupled with tightening state budgets, the greater prison expenditures may force states to make tough choices about where to spend their money. For example, Pew found that over the same 20-year period, inflation-adjusted general fund spending on corrections rose 127 percent while higher education expenditures rose just 21 percent.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:30 am

I don't know too much about the US prison system, but do they have something similar to diversion?
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:59 pm

bail or probation

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:51 am

Theyre trying to build a prison
Following the rights movement
You clamped on with your iron fists
Drugs became conveniently
Available for all the kids
Following the rights movement
You clamped on with your iron fists
Drugs became conveniently
Available for all the kids
I buy my crack, I smack my bitch
Right here in hollywood
(nearly 2 million americans are
Incarcerated in the prison system
Prison system of the us)
(for you and me to live in)
Another prison system
Another prison system
Another prison system
Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You dont even flinch
All our taxes paying for your wars
Against the new non-rich
Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You dont even flinch
All our taxes paying for your wars
Against the new non-rich
I buy my crack, I smack my bitch
Right here in hollywood
The percentage of americans in the prison system
Prison system, has doubled since 1985
Another prison system
Another prison system
Another prison system
For you and i, for you and i, for you and i.
For you and me
Oh baby, you and me.
All research and successful drug policy show
That treatment should be increased
And law enforcement decreased
While abolishing mandatory minimun sentences
All research and successful drug policy show
That treatment should be increased
And law enforcement decreased