Maori activists caught in anti-terror raids

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11350
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

Maori activists caught in anti-terror raids

Postby snuff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Maori activists caught in anti-terror raids
By MELANIE JONES - Sunday Star Times | Monday, 15 October 2007

A major anti-terrorism operation is underway in New Zealand after police found what they said was a guerrilla style group operating in the eastern Bay of Plenty.

Prominent Maori activist Tame Iti is among those taken in by police, his lawyer Louis Tekani told Fairfax Media.

He is facing arms charges this afternoon in the Rotorua District Court and Mr Tekani denied any terrorism connection.

Mr Iti was woken at 4am today.

"From what he's told me, he heard some one rustling outside and from there the police issued instructions for him to come out," Mr Tekani said.

"He's cooperated with the police and nothing untoward has happened."

Although he was in the Rotorua police cells no charges had been laid and Mr Tekani had seen no summary of facts. He said there was no suggestion of terrorism.

"If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable," he said.

"To charge someone for terrorism type offences is a serious matter. It will be interesting to see what the summary of facts says."

Mr Tekani said locals figured something was happening as early as Saturday because of unusual police traffic in the area.

Police have been executing warrants under the Suppression of Terrorism Act and the Firearms Act in a series of co-ordinated raids and the office of Prime Minister Helen Clark is being kept informed over what is going on.

Fairfax Media understand a top secret "O Desk" group met at the Beehive earlier this month to hear what was planned for today.

Police are being tight lipped at the moment saying only that as a part of a national police operation targeting firearms officers executed numerous warrants early this morning across the country in Auckland, Bay of Plenty, Wellington, Palmerston North and Hamilton.

Fairfax Media can report that this morning's arrests are the culmination of months of work by a specialist police anti-terror unit which has hundreds of hours of recordings from bugged conversations, video surveillance, and tapped cellphone calls and texts.

Fairfax Media understands police have video of military-style training with live ammunition in camps deep in the Urewera mountain ranges and expected to find machine guns and grenades during their raids

Campaigners from various Maori sovereignty, environmental and "peace" groups are implicated.

"These guys are serious. They are talking of killing people," a source said.

It is understood police plan to charge up to 14 people with participating in a terrorist group under the Terrorism Suppression Act 2002.

The Act requires the police to seek the approval of the Attorney General before court proceedings are initiated.

More than 60 other people from around the country who have been recorded talking to, and in some cases training with, the arrested group will also be brought in for questioning.

Some of them are known to have pulled out once they realised the level of violence planned.

Police units infiltrated the training camps during months of investigation - sometimes being within metres of those firing live rounds.

Investigators believe although the groups were training together, they were each planning to hit targets related to their own interests although all the hits would be co-ordinated to cause maximum chaos and stretching police resources across the country.


Source: Stuff


Training camps in the Uraweras makes them sound like the mujahideen... somehow I doubt it...
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

User avatar
Maleficent
mama poopoo
Posts: 13117
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:12 pm
Location: KAITI FOR LIFE

Postby Maleficent » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:21 pm

be interesting to see how this develops.
http://aotearoa666.com/

Anarchia
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Te Whanganui-a-Tara / Wellington

Postby Anarchia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Police raid houses across Aotearoa under anti-terrorism legislation, at least a dozen arrests

Early this morning there were simultaneous raids across the North Island, in Auckland, Whakatane, Wellington, Ruatoki, and Hamilton. Later in the morning, Police came to at least four houses in Christchurch. Around a dozen people have been arrested so far, and reports are that up to 60 are being sought for questioning.

The raids were under the Suppression Of Terrorism Act and the Firearms Act. They have been targetted at people involved in the Tino Rangatiratanga, Peace and Environmental movements.

Check out Aotearoa Indymedia - http://www.indymedia.org.nz for more details as they come to hand.

JeffJack

Postby JeffJack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:35 pm

i meet this cunt when i was doing construction, buzzy as cunt, can do 1h hand push ups, looked thug as fuckery do, but busted out all this nasa type information, so pretty much a real smart cunt, then after a month of his buzzy intersting shit found out he was ex army

he said in the early 90s in the coromandel their was a group that the army can and had to sort out/covert op, it was outside matarangi and their is a old cave where they had heaps of guns n shit, he reackins it was the meeting point between two iwi's (couldnt name them for some reason) and they were going to have a KOOO (the shit that happend in fiji) at parliment and were hiring out flash as fuck cars from rentals and going to go with their guns n shit.

but the buzzy thing he said is lots of the guns were army guns and this didnt break media cause it would make them look like dumb cunts cause people would want to know how they got leaked/stolen.

crrrrrazy.
Last edited by JeffJack on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Maleficent
mama poopoo
Posts: 13117
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:12 pm
Location: KAITI FOR LIFE

Postby Maleficent » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:36 pm

fuck i hope people are ok...

:(

on te news there was a feature about it
http://aotearoa666.com/

JeffJack

Postby JeffJack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:41 pm

Anarchia wrote:Police raid houses across Aotearoa under anti-terrorism legislation, at least a dozen arrests

Early this morning there were simultaneous raids across the North Island, in Auckland, Whakatane, Wellington, Ruatoki, and Hamilton. Later in the morning, Police came to at least four houses in Christchurch. Around a dozen people have been arrested so far, and reports are that up to 60 are being sought for questioning.

The raids were under the Suppression Of Terrorism Act and the Firearms Act. They have been targetted at people involved in the Tino Rangatiratanga, Peace and Environmental movements.

Check out Aotearoa Indymedia - http://www.indymedia.org.nz for more details as they come to hand.


Whats funny is that Gangs would act as more of a icon of terrorism then people involved in Tino Rangatiratanga, Peace and Environmental movements, more chance of seeing some P'd up cat shotting up some other peep and getting his daughter.

Good ol kiwi goverment...

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Postby FC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:44 pm

So you know the details of exactly what happened then christian?

Gangs arent terrorists, and these guys might not be either, but I think its a good idea to reserve judgement until we have all the facts at hand, and they wont be known for a few days/weeks yet im sure.


Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Anarchia
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Te Whanganui-a-Tara / Wellington

Postby Anarchia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:06 pm

A Space Inside / Necopolis in Auckland and 128 in Wellington were among the places raided, both at 6am this morning. 128 had its door smashed in by armed police (not sure if the same happened at ASI).

JeffJack

Postby JeffJack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:32 pm

FC wrote:So you know the details of exactly what happened then christian?

Gangs arent terrorists, and these guys might not be either, but I think its a good idea to reserve judgement until we have all the facts at hand, and they wont be known for a few days/weeks yet im sure.


Aidan


Fuck your dense.

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Postby FC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:36 pm

yeah, hard out.

so explain to be exactly how gangs are an icon of terrorism?

it sounds as though they are claiming these were "camps" involved in serious weapons training and weapons stockading for terrorist activities, not some cunts making drugs to sell to some dumb cunt, so the whole gang issue is a non issue, nothing to do with this at all. Obviously they are going after anyone with any links, no matter how tenuous, to these "camps" and this is why a whole bunch of people get raided. Its not that hard to comprehend if you arent retarded.

In fact, do you even know what a "terrorist" is? You dont seem to.



Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

JeffJack

Postby JeffJack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:43 pm

Terrorists is called upon against a level of National Securitiy, where the countrys goverment feels that its been acted upon against from a organisation/clan/crew etc where it threatens it and then the governing Goverment deems as "unsafe and wrong" and acts against those who oppose a threat.

Their is no difference between gangs who effect the Moral fibre of communitys within our society, that too is within a national level, except its in our own backyard. Supplying product that would effect peoples thoughts and actions, is a act of terrorism, except its in our own "backyard" and the goverment more so turns a blind eye to this.

Ignorace is bliss FC/Heman/Aiden.

User avatar
captain steinakin
Posts: 3064
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:42 am
Location: under a volcano

Postby captain steinakin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:44 pm

Anarchia wrote:A Space Inside / Necopolis in Auckland and 128 in Wellington were among the places raided, both at 6am this morning. 128 had its door smashed in by armed police (not sure if the same happened at ASI).


fuck thats crazy, anyone from the 2 places get arrested?
Image
Cowboy/Father/Mentor

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Postby FC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:49 pm

JeffJack wrote:Terrorists is called upon against a level of National Securitiy, where the countrys goverment feels that its been acted upon against from a organisation/clan/crew etc where it threatens it and then the governing Goverment deems as "unsafe and wrong" and acts against those who oppose a threat.

Their is no difference between gangs who effect the Moral fibre of communitys within our society, that too is within a national level, except its in our own backyard. Supplying product that would effect peoples thoughts and actions, is a act of terrorism, except its in our own "backyard" and the goverment more so turns a blind eye to this.

Ignorace is bliss FC/Heman/Aiden.


Noones arguing the moral implications though, are they? Gangs tend not to want to take down the government, which is the difference here, from the little i've seen in the media. The anti-terrorism laws are pretty specific.




Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

JeffJack

Postby JeffJack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:56 pm

And back to the point you fucktart.

I highly doubt what they claimed even were infact there with their crackdown on these people.

What I was getting at (perhaps your south island sheep shagged cock cant grasp) that its funny how their are so many obvious gang related drug houses/operations that the cops do fuck all about and more so the goverment leads out influence on what the police do, goverment funded organisation.

A good example of this was a drug house that lots of people knew about, was next to a primary school for 6 years, if you werent suspect you got served, yet the police would patrol around the area and pull up those who bought their drugs and do fuck all to those involved in the house itself. Shit only hit the fan from when I heard the people inside gave a group of 13 year olds some P (when they went to buy their tinny) and then for the misfortune of the guys who were dealing they had to deal with a family of pacific islanders who go to church funny enough, armed with axes and machetesies* (<- grammar) and that cause enough of a stink for the cops to get off their lazy fucking asses and shut shop and back to the fact it was next to a primary school for 6 years, pretty fucking whack dont you think.

Now thats one example and yet you see shit that involves fucked up crazy druge fucked cunts all the time, dont get me wrong, some people do blaze em or pop shit and chill, but it seems more and more people are doing fucked up shit, and that isnt a act of terrorism on a community level?

So my point was the goverment is fucking shit once more, focusing on what they think is a big national security threat and whats the bet shit to none that nearly all of it wasnt even that bad, sure they will find maybe a few guns, but compare that to other things that are going on and im sure it make sense that their is better time/things for the pigs and the goverment to focus their time on.

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Postby FC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:00 pm

My mums a real estate agent and they let the cops know whenever there is a house that is growing/dealing etc. cause its usually real obvious when they go around for flat inspections. Most of the time the cops just sit on the information because they dont need a warrant to search, so next time they think there are stolen goods/fire arms etc. in there they can just rock on in under the misuse of drugs act.

You also forget they had a massive raid a little while ago on a bunch of tinny houses/buyers in auckland, so they do do it every now and again, its just a lot of time and effort for a bit of weed.

The problem is, neither of us have the full story, and we wont until they decide to release it or someone talks to the "media".



Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

JeffJack

Postby JeffJack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:02 pm

FC wrote:
JeffJack wrote:Terrorists is called upon against a level of National Securitiy, where the countrys goverment feels that its been acted upon against from a organisation/clan/crew etc where it threatens it and then the governing Goverment deems as "unsafe and wrong" and acts against those who oppose a threat.

Their is no difference between gangs who effect the Moral fibre of communitys within our society, that too is within a national level, except its in our own backyard. Supplying product that would effect peoples thoughts and actions, is a act of terrorism, except its in our own "backyard" and the goverment more so turns a blind eye to this.

Ignorace is bliss FC/Heman/Aiden.


Noones arguing the moral implications though, are they? Gangs tend not to want to take down the government, which is the difference here, from the little i've seen in the media. The anti-terrorism laws are pretty specific.




Aidan


Moral implications? Perhaps the Anarachy thing at Necrop maybe some of it, moral fibre that is been implied to do otherwise that what the goverment thinks is wrong, cause I highly doubt that any of those people up their have semi automatics or shotguns. So whats the diffrence between organized crime that effects lots laws layed down by the goverment and effects the rest of us via taxs, new laws enforced etc

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Postby FC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 pm

Like i said, they would have raided heaps of places that had really tenuous links. They wont find any info from lots of these places im sure.

And thats not what I meant by moral implications, more your argument on what they should be doing and why instead of this.



Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

JeffJack

Postby JeffJack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 pm

FC wrote:My mums a real estate agent and they let the cops know whenever there is a house that is growing/dealing etc. cause its usually real obvious when they go around for flat inspections. Most of the time the cops just sit on the information because they dont need a warrant to search, so next time they think there are stolen goods/fire arms etc. in there they can just rock on in under the misuse of drugs act.

You also forget they had a massive raid a little while ago on a bunch of tinny houses/buyers in auckland, so they do do it every now and again, its just a lot of time and effort for a bit of weed.

The problem is, neither of us have the full story, and we wont until they decide to release it or someone talks to the "media".



Aidan


You would find unless its a couple storage contianers with hydro in it, its not really worth busting. P pays the bills far more faster today, 3rd country in the world who is fucked from the drug, i would hate to compare us to thailand, but they do.

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Postby FC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:04 pm

Some stats i was reading today put us third in the world behind aussie and the UK for meth.


Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

JeffJack

Postby JeffJack » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 pm

Thailand > Aussie > New Zealand

Per Head of Pop.

Anarchia
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Te Whanganui-a-Tara / Wellington

Postby Anarchia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:06 pm

captain jeff steinakin wrote:
Anarchia wrote:A Space Inside / Necopolis in Auckland and 128 in Wellington were among the places raided, both at 6am this morning. 128 had its door smashed in by armed police (not sure if the same happened at ASI).


fuck thats crazy, anyone from the 2 places get arrested?


Yep, one of the ASI residents is among those arrested.

User avatar
Grave Dancer
Posts: 10020
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:13 am
Location: faggot cunt

Postby Grave Dancer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:07 pm

JeffJack wrote: they were going to have a KOOO (the shit that happend in fiji) at parliment and were hiring out flash as fuck cars from rentals and going to go with their guns n shit.


a coup?
Image

Anarchia
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Te Whanganui-a-Tara / Wellington

Postby Anarchia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:15 pm

Updates

1:43pm - The people arrested in Wellington will apparently appear in court at 2:15pm, and word is that cops will be opposing bail. It is not yet known what charges have been laid. Tame Iti will face arms charges in the Rotorua District Court this afternoon.

3:13pm - The four Wellington arrestees are still waiting to be heard in court, but we have recieved information that they are being charged with possession of firearms and ammunition at some point in the past.

User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11350
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

Postby snuff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:23 pm

'At some point in the past' - wtf does that mean?
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Postby FC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:23 pm

It means that it'll be much easier to prosecute.



Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11350
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

Postby snuff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:27 pm

Hang on, it says that 'they are' not 'they have'... meaning, well as I read it that you can be charged for having had weapons at any point in your past rather than having been previously charged for possession?
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

User avatar
PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'
Posts: 19851
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:53 pm
Location: Milano

Postby PertHJ » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:29 pm

Anarchia wrote:
captain jeff steinakin wrote:
Anarchia wrote:A Space Inside / Necopolis in Auckland and 128 in Wellington were among the places raided, both at 6am this morning. 128 had its door smashed in by armed police (not sure if the same happened at ASI).


fuck thats crazy, anyone from the 2 places get arrested?


Yep, one of the ASI residents is among those arrested.


thats fucked!

is 'a space inside' the alternative name for necropolis?
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Postby FC » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:31 pm

Im thinking it maybe means they had the weapons that were seized from somewhere else at one time or another, but they have since been taken somewhere else. So they were involved in the posession, but the weapons werent found on them. i guess thats what this new terrorist legislation gives them the power to do.


Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Anarchia
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Te Whanganui-a-Tara / Wellington

Postby Anarchia » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:32 pm

Pert - Yes.

From the Herald:

Member of anti-capitalist organisation arrested

Among the others arrested is Omar Hamed, a founding member of Aotearoa Radical Youth, an anti-capitalist organisation for young people.

Hamed is a history student at Auckland University and went to Takapuna Grammar.

In 2005 he won an award from the New Zealand Herald's College Herald newspaper for his journalism.


snuff - From what I understand, it means that they had no weapons or ammo on them when they were arrested, but police are alleging they had them at some point in the past.

User avatar
snuff
Information Highway Patrol
Posts: 11350
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:56 pm
Location: Vault 101

Postby snuff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:32 pm

How the fuck do you prove that though?
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?


Return to “Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests