Protesters, police clash over Howard visit

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
pissdrunx

Postby pissdrunx » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:45 am

NZPA | Friday, 16 February 2007

Protesters clashed with police yesterday outside Premier House, venue of a dinner for Australian leader John Howard hosted by Prime Minister Helen Clark.

About 30 protesters marched down Tinakori Road in Wellington's Thorndon suburb, about 6.30pm, in protest against the Australian prime minister's visit.

When they arrived at prime ministerial residence Premier House, they were outnumbered by police.

Two people were thrown to the ground, handcuffed and dragged away for what police termed "behaviour-related offences".

Across the road, a masked, black-flag bearing man asked police why he wasn't allowed to walk down the pavement. They ignored him, pushing him over when he tried to pass.

Miss Clark arrived at Premier House about the same time the protesters started their march. Mr Howard arrived about 7.35pm.

By not opposing Australia's actions, New Zealand was tacitly supporting the war in Iraq , one unnamed protester said.

"We want (John Howard) to know where ever he goes, there will be people who will stand up and tell him what he is doing is wrong," she said.

"That we are here, maybe Helen Clark could open her window and see us and mention it to him over dinner."

Another man, giving his first name as Sky, said he was on his first protest march.

"Minus the guns and horses, this is the sort of thing you would get in the States," he said.

"I would have expected New Zealand police to be calm and keep guard, but they have been really aggressive tonight," he said.

Inspector Peter Cowan said he and his trained anti-protester squad knew all the group banging drums and holding placards.

"These people are all familiar faces. They are professional activists."

Mr Howard is visiting for annual trans-Tasman talks with Miss Clark.

They are to discuss Pacific hotspots, including the Solomon Islands, Tonga and Fiji, he told Australian media.

He had worked with three New Zealand prime ministers, two National and one Labour.

"Relations between Miss Clark and myself are good. We put aside any ideological differences we might have and we focus very much on getting good results," he said.

What a hammer can't fix is something that ain't broken

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:04 pm

http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/NationalNews/ ... t.aspx#top

Extended footage of John Howard protest
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:21 pm

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:25 pm

you could see both the protesters and the police were amping for conflict. the protesters were definatly atagonising police (although who wouldn't :))

the cops comment on rent a crowd was tactful, almost degrades the points the protesters were making completely.

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:37 pm

really or is media coverage making both sides look dodge while also making a point.

howard shouldn't be allowed to step foot here the way hes been cavorting cntroversy and murder with the u.s., their way is old hat, time for progress.

fuck the cronies

I do think protestors need a representative who know facts and figures though who speaks well and confidently like bush, its all just perception.

except we're telling the truth.

bush just said it doesn't matter if we don't have proof recently in regards to iran as long as we're doing somethng about it, oh is that why black fill your industrial prisons, hmm nz's like that too, global tyranny of a few over the many, get busy.A!

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:50 pm

I agree Buying In. The way that 3 news clip played it looked like the Peace Action Wellington guy was unsure of what he was talking about which was confounded by the rent a crowd comment at the end.

It's sucks but you need media savvy people who can give strong sound bites to get the point across, you have to play the media.

Good shit to those who got involved, we need more people next time!

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:53 pm

i was being tasered unfortunately for health purposes.

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Back 2 Life wrote:i was being tasered unfortunately for health purposes.

Where's your dedication to the cause? :wink:

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:06 pm

the cops comment on rent a crowd was tactful, almost degrades the points the protesters were making completely.

Yeah they've been popping that one out since at least the early nineties - did you know you are only allowed to care about one protest/issue, any more than that and you are a rent a crowd.

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Haha what a pathetic effort.

Teargas the fuckers.

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Nice touch with the Rage Against the Machine though, was that self-parody, or just submission to an abysmal cliche?
The parasites are excited when you're dead; eyes bulging, entering your head; and all your thoughts yeah, they rot.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:32 pm

haha yeah tear gassing old howey would be funny as, dunno how easy it would be for the public to get tear gass though
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:45 pm

PertHJ wrote:haha yeah tear gassing old howey would be funny as, dunno how easy it would be for the public to get tear gass though

Howard looks like he is going to cry anyway. I was more implying that they should have teargassed the protestaphiles. Give them something decent to have a whinge about.

'Dunt push meeee'
'But this is a public streeet'

Harden the fuck up..

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:11 pm

I was more implying that they should have teargassed the protestaphiles

Wouldn't expect you to say anything different, they need a yawn emoticon

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:15 pm

I get what he is saying
I think it's lint.

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:17 pm

Fearful_Jesuit wrote:
PertHJ wrote:haha yeah tear gassing old howey would be funny as, dunno how easy it would be for the public to get tear gass though

Howard looks like he is going to cry anyway. I was more implying that they should have teargassed the protestaphiles. Give them something decent to have a whinge about.

'Dunt push meeee'

Harden the fuck up..

Now that's tuff

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:17 pm

Lentil wrote:
I was more implying that they should have teargassed the protestaphiles

Wouldn't expect you to say anything different, they need a yawn emoticon

Oh burn. That like, totally invalidates my opinon, snap!

:roll:

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:50 pm

if i had a time machine i woulda been there blind and all croc.
howard is a true fukwit.

harden up fearful your points are almost always invalid due to no substance except a rightist one.

anyway, I'm off to check the footage.

love the facismo comments on indymedia, ah yes state supporters while stabbing in the back ahah, the same as the system where people matter 2nd.

I can assure you that the cops would've broken the law but then the laws an ass and the system must change so howard can't nonchalantsly count how many dead he didn't but his army killed today.

money they love money.
they should just call parliament the undertakers and we can pay them to entertain while we make decisions that actually matter and burgeon peace almost always everywhere.

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:21 pm

phaedrus wrote:
Fearful_Jesuit wrote:

'Dunt push meeee'

Harden the fuck up..

harden the fuck up? it pays to vocally chronicle the police's actions when you suspect that you may end up in court and can provide video evidence. they are well hard enough as it is, it's just a wise strategy...

No, just harden the fuck up.

That protest achieved nothing. All Howard knows now is that there are about 30 something Rage against the machine fans in Wellington. Typical empty fucking bullshit that only justifies the cliches.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:23 pm

sijdojdewqndjas

BOOT GIRL

Postby BOOT GIRL » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:20 pm

fuck ,your all just neo conservative fucks ,trying desperately to be "punk"you just dont get it do you....

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:07 pm

BOOT GIRL wrote:fuck ,your all just neo conservative fucks ,trying desperately to be "punk"you just dont get it do you....

Shame, you put the space before the comma.

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMEEE!

chrisbucks

Postby chrisbucks » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:22 am

I should just point out at the moment.. that Fearful Jesuit actually works for the New Zealand Police... so he's got some major interests embedded in his argument.
‹Rob Anybody› yeh that is an implied threat... an almost threat, god you need to research what a threat is you spinless waterballon man

021 1458835

Future Shock

Postby Future Shock » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:27 am

yes to state, not anti police, anti how it is run, completely.

this system has noone watching it cept us who are often disempowered but we have power of number and nouse.

what do you call a system with no real checks and balances against it, tyranny no matter which way ya paint it.

the true meaning it is.

pitts

Postby pitts » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:24 am

who polices the police? They do what they want when they want. "Just Do As You're Told!"as the one bully said. I admit the guy sayin ''stop pushing me" was a little weak in his delivery BUT unless ya got a couple of thousand people backing you up you gotta do it right.the police have yet to learn what a free country means. :idea:

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Re: protest

Postby PertHJ » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Just because people didn't stage a protest agaisnt the muslim guy doesn't mean people dislike him any less than howard.

nazi scum wrote:
If you support the Muslim fundamendalists rather than Western civilisation i suggest you go to Afghanistan to stage a protest over NZ forces reconstructing the country after 30 years of Muslim war. See how the authorities there respect your freedom to protest. Like to get stoned? you will, to death.

ahh so because we have the right to protest we shouldn't? good one dudemeister.

flinders_

Re: Protesters, police clash over Howard visit

Postby flinders_ » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:10 pm

pissdrunx wrote:

Inspector Peter Cowan said he and his trained anti-protester squad

hahahaha
leith wrote:get drunk as fuck.. smoke weed all the next day and get drunk again.

Return to “Current Affairs”