At Least Im Doing Something

All posts prior to 16-04-05 have been archived here.
phaedrus

Postby phaedrus » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:00 am

s.snow wrote:i went to the carnys first show!

I've been to a number of Carny's shows where it seemed like it was the first time they played...

p.s. which one was their first show?

mike

Postby mike » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:13 am

Neoteric Tribesman, L.I.F.E, B.R.F, Knives of West 11, Wallsockets, Ambitious Veges- they were the punks of the time- Then F.D.V and the rest- anyone remember the great F.D.V Helloween parties- they were good nights!
I have to admit I never heard of those bands you should talk to the writer's of Mysterex magazine(Early 80's NZ punk) Andrew & Simon about those gigs they would know about that.G from Gmc would of probably gone to those hes ZE HAIR FUHRUR on here.

The Ost
mutton chops

Postby The Ost » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:03 am

It's interesting to see someone bringing up a lot of those bands, i've heard of a few of those, unfortunatley I wasn't around at the time to appreciate them live. As I understand it a lot of those Wellington bands you mentioned came from an art school or arty background - which is something that is lacking in the shows of today.

However, that's because anyone from art school or art school bands seems to be universally derided (on this board at least) Hardcore kids, straight edgers, anarchos, crusties, drunks - they all seem to hat the art school kids.
"Society makes easy targets; colour, creed, sex. " - The Proletariat

INITIO CLUB: "Better than the crap people" since 1997

BETTYfuckingBOO
i wish i was the boss!

Postby BETTYfuckingBOO » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:49 am

i never seen neoteric tribesmen but but the bass player was fdv first bass player - richard watt
fdv gat player was in knives of west 11
was ambitious veges andrew fagans band before the mockers?
whazzo ghoti are still doing stuff as wazo clash - a clash tribute band
number 9 were a great band
ive got some good photos of a couple of halloween gigs
cricketers arms with tab, subdominants and fdv
and at the gluepot with subdominants and fdv...there was pigs heads hung above the stage and because of the lights they stunk
oh the reminicing
platform 9
claredon
cricketers
the rock theatre
the tab album is great even if the bass player did run off with my girlfriend
cos were one ciggarette away from being done
one ciggarette away
sure has been fun

gremlin

Postby gremlin » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:13 pm

I've been to a number of Carny's shows where it seemed like it was the first time they played...

p.s. which one was their first show?

i cant remmeber exactlly, wasnt it about 5 years ago or something at the lighthouse center in karori? thats what someone told me.

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:05 am

im pretty sure adam used 2 play 4 carnys in their early days

Res

Postby Res » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:07 am

I think I'd have to agree with Mel. I would have said The Enemy were the greatest punk band this country has ever produced ( Pull Down The Shades being the greatest punk rock song ), but, from what I've been led to understand, Chris Knox was always the driving force in that group. He also led Toy Love, and was involved with the establishment of Flying Nun, who were, and still are, perhaps, incredibly influential on a worldwide scale. In my opinion, certainly the best record label to come outta lil' old New Zealand, they churned out the greatest bands and music in the world in the 80's.

I agree with Mel when she mentions John Dix's book, Stranded In Paradise is an incredibly good read. Not only are there loads of punk rock stories in it, it's also a glimpse into NZ musical history, not just punk rock. It's a story of us as Kiwi's, and the music that shaped us.

Res

Postby Res » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:14 am

PS: Would u class The Swingers as punk rock, or are they more "new wave"? Phil Judd has had a huge influence on NZ music, surely?

THE OVERLORD

Postby THE OVERLORD » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:21 pm

Well. having had to live with artists in the past I think I will be supported in the fact that they are all (EXCEPT MEL)!!! a bunch of wineing, spoilt, undomesticated, girly children.

Fuck them.

Compos Mentis (Why has no one mentioned this great Wellington band)
And
One Less Customer (featuring Grant from Compos and Simon from Anti-System zine fame).

Scruffix

Phlegmâ„¢

Postby Phlegmâ„¢ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:31 pm

I'm bumping this from its grave.

Band: Three-way tie: Sticky Filth, The Henchmen, Proud Scum (somewhere The Warners fit in there too)
Person: Brian Wafer(how many local punk records and both local and international punk tours did he fund?) or maybe Chris Knox(but Brian takes my vote).

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com Updated with downloads from Trusty, Big Drill Car and Chemical People

mmmm....good crack

Re:

Postby mmmm....good crack » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:59 pm

slaughter wrote:2 hugely important punk bands of NZ.

ALL LEFT OUT and PUGFACE

coz their easy to listen to, have nice hooks in their songs, dont get all drunk all the time and swear, and they have the true spirit of punk in themselves.

same as Mumsdollar.

LOAL

Brento

Re: At Least Im Doing Something

Postby Brento » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 pm

PS - if there's anyone out there that could probably remind me of a young Chris Knox - well, he's sitting right under our noses. He's called Blair Jones!! (especially if that last "If I had a Gun" gig was anything to go by)

Return to “All archived posts prior to 16-04-05”