At Least Im Doing Something

All posts prior to 16-04-05 have been archived here.
xsfat

Postby xsfat » Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:05 am

im pretty sure adam used 2 play 4 carnys in their early days

Res

Postby Res » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:07 am

I think I'd have to agree with Mel. I would have said The Enemy were the greatest punk band this country has ever produced ( Pull Down The Shades being the greatest punk rock song ), but, from what I've been led to understand, Chris Knox was always the driving force in that group. He also led Toy Love, and was involved with the establishment of Flying Nun, who were, and still are, perhaps, incredibly influential on a worldwide scale. In my opinion, certainly the best record label to come outta lil' old New Zealand, they churned out the greatest bands and music in the world in the 80's.

I agree with Mel when she mentions John Dix's book, Stranded In Paradise is an incredibly good read. Not only are there loads of punk rock stories in it, it's also a glimpse into NZ musical history, not just punk rock. It's a story of us as Kiwi's, and the music that shaped us.

Res

Postby Res » Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:14 am

PS: Would u class The Swingers as punk rock, or are they more "new wave"? Phil Judd has had a huge influence on NZ music, surely?

THE OVERLORD

Postby THE OVERLORD » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:21 pm

Well. having had to live with artists in the past I think I will be supported in the fact that they are all (EXCEPT MEL)!!! a bunch of wineing, spoilt, undomesticated, girly children.

Fuck them.

Compos Mentis (Why has no one mentioned this great Wellington band)
And
One Less Customer (featuring Grant from Compos and Simon from Anti-System zine fame).

Scruffix

Phlegmâ„¢

Postby Phlegmâ„¢ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:31 pm

I'm bumping this from its grave.

Band: Three-way tie: Sticky Filth, The Henchmen, Proud Scum (somewhere The Warners fit in there too)
Person: Brian Wafer(how many local punk records and both local and international punk tours did he fund?) or maybe Chris Knox(but Brian takes my vote).

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com Updated with downloads from Trusty, Big Drill Car and Chemical People

mmmm....good crack

Re:

Postby mmmm....good crack » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:59 pm

slaughter wrote:2 hugely important punk bands of NZ.

ALL LEFT OUT and PUGFACE

coz their easy to listen to, have nice hooks in their songs, dont get all drunk all the time and swear, and they have the true spirit of punk in themselves.

same as Mumsdollar.

LOAL

Brento

Re: At Least Im Doing Something

Postby Brento » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:14 pm

PS - if there's anyone out there that could probably remind me of a young Chris Knox - well, he's sitting right under our noses. He's called Blair Jones!! (especially if that last "If I had a Gun" gig was anything to go by)

Return to “All archived posts prior to 16-04-05”