green day - American Idiot

All posts prior to 16-04-05 have been archived here.
Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:27 pm

Good stuff, Luc. Also, if you read any interviews from the band post-breakup, the basic cause was massive in-fighting. Sounds like the rest of them didn't get on with the vocalist, and also explains why there's no bassist in the New Noise video.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:44 pm

Trash - Greenday were trying to be 'too punk' with this new album?

... erm.. have you heard it?

It's a melodic rock album, plain and simple.
I quite like it, although the thing is quite samey the whole way.

Mike_111

Postby Mike_111 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:37 pm

Ricky I agree it was to much the same all the way through but a real cleaver album if you take the time to listen to it. I don’t think that they were trying to be punk infact they don’t class themselves as a punk band as said in a recent interview. and what is punk these days its lost its meaning.

Blare Joans

Postby Blare Joans » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:13 pm

Luc u think waaaay too much dude 8O
Buying In wrote:Im not racist but i will smash the fuck outta you chinkboi.
Back 2 Life wrote:got me in trouble at work

pukeface34

Postby pukeface34 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:38 am

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

UKGRL

Postby UKGRL » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:12 pm

greenday pull off so many different ways of doing their stuff but keeping their own unique edge.... cant wait to see them in san francisco at the end of november...

hopefully for you kids they will be at big day out....up the line up a bit....
" what are you a communist? "

Ouch
Dog's Best Friend

Postby Ouch » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:26 pm

American Idiot is good.... i love Green Day, have ever since having 1038 thrust apon me... but i also think that as soon as musicians start whining about politics their music becomes horse shit.

martin
Shandy Queen

Postby martin » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:36 pm

blah blah blah Green Day aren't punk - blah blah blah

Get the fuck over it - this album is amazing and just gets better the more you listen to it

chunder
i love strawberry blondes

Postby chunder » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:08 pm

Fuck I reckon, like music for what it is, for not what genre it fits into. If you like it, then like it, if you don't like then, then don't...

I've only heard the two singles off this album so far. Its ok.

Ouch: bands singing about politics = horse shit??? What do you like to hear in songs, lyrically? Fairies and kitty cats and raindrops on roses? You don't like songs that challenge your ideas and make you think, whether you agree or disagree? Interesting.

a_darker_shade_of_black

Postby a_darker_shade_of_black » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:31 pm

Green Day are rude. The trendy pseudo-political dribble isn't fooling anyone. They suffer majorly from the same disease Rage Against the Machine did: hypocrisy.

How can you bitch about a "nation controlled by the media" when you're played on high rotation on every friggin' radio station everywhere in the world?

The music isn't exceptional. It's the same three chords we've been hearing for a million years and the lyrics mean nothing.

As for the genre, whatever side of the coin you're on there's someone doing it better than Green Day. If ya want shitty, meaningless pop (aural chewing gum) listen to Brittany Spears or Jojo or something degrading like that. If you want decent political music with half an ounce of credibility, listen to Leftover Crack or something.

Nuff said.

trash

Postby trash » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:42 pm

a_darker_shade_of_black I couldn't agree more.

It also goes further than the genre it is or isn't, the music is crap.
I like ONE song on the album, and the rest is a load of tennybopper rubbish.

Get the fuck over it - this album is amazing and just gets better the more you listen to it

no it doesn't, there is never going to be anything exciting about three generic chords and winey "political" vocals.
There is nothing here to get over, this is purely the point of view of those that cannot stand this kind of music.

Green Day need to grow the fuck up musically

It's the same three chords we've been hearing for a million years and the lyrics mean nothing.

Yep too right, there are 1001 better bands I'd rather listen to and maybe people need to look around at what's out there ...

martin
Shandy Queen

Postby martin » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:58 am

trash wrote:

no it doesn't, there is never going to be anything exciting about three generic chords and winey "political" vocals.
There is nothing here to get over, this is purely the point of view of those that cannot stand this kind of music.

Yeah I guess they need more"hardcore" influence like 36CF? :?

this is not a punk/pop-punk album anyway it is considered a "rock opera" so really ... get over it

pukeface34

Postby pukeface34 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:18 am

lets post random again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RANDOM

Ouch
Dog's Best Friend

Postby Ouch » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:27 am

chunder wrote:Ouch: bands singing about politics = horse shit??? What do you like to hear in songs, lyrically? Fairies and kitty cats and raindrops on roses? You don't like songs that challenge your ideas and make you think, whether you agree or disagree? Interesting.

Mate, there are a lot more clever things to write about then shooting fish in barrels by jumping on the bandwagon and singing about something that wannabe political punks like yourself will try but fail to relate to.

chunder

Postby chunder » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:43 pm

First of all, don’t assume I am a “political punk”. I don’t even listen to punk rock, apart from Propagandi and a few others. I am a girl, I’m not your mate, and I don’t describe myself as either political or a punk. I listen to hardcore, and I don’t even refer to myself a “hardcore kid”. Theres better things to be in life than a label.

Second, I merely was asking a question. What do you like to listen to lyrically? I am not saying political themes in music are amazing or the be all and end all, but there is a huge proportion of songs that are political in a way, whether they are in reference to ideas or government. Punk and politics don’t always go hand in hand, but punk music lyrically is about expressing and challenging ideas.

You are a very defensive person.

trash

Postby trash » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:58 pm

martin?

36CF:
I said the new album is fucking awesome (not hardcore lol - never categorized 36CF) and sorry you can't put them in a similar box to GREEN DAY, sorry there are no 3 childish 3 chord progressions nor whiney try hard political vocals.
You don't know WHAT you are talking about.
Sure they are probably one of the catchiest, non heavy bands I listen to, but that doesn't make them pop punk or anything like Green Day.

Pop punk, rock pop, whatever, I still can't stand it - hey man, each to their own aye???

chunder
but punk music lyrically is about expressing and challenging ideas.

I agree with this, and also is follwed through by the actions of the band, ie not selling out and being commercial, not contradicting their lyrics and what they are SUPPOSED to be about, nor being overly concerned with their fashion.
Green Day are laughable these days and so are people who think good charlotte and blink 182 and the like are punk.
Last edited by trash on Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveIronFan
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FiveIronFan » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:05 pm

He never said they were the same as green day, you just wank on about 36CF so much he was taking the piss out of you.

Id rather listen to 3 chords done well than an intricate and imaginitive load of garbage.

Aidan
So long and thanks for all the posts.

trash

Postby trash » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:08 pm

no aiden he was saying i said 36cf are hardcore, I can read.
A predictable and weak attempt at an argument because I said I don't like green days new album. :roll:

And how long has it been since I mentioned 36CF (actually you would probably know the date lol)

Though yes I still love them :D

Id rather listen to 3 chords done well than an intricate and imaginitive load of garbage.

The thing you don't get is, the three chords aren't done well, they are put together without much thought at all.
But perhaps to you they are , fair enough.
36CF intricate?? haha
Shit dude you don't even know what you are talking about, go put your blink 182 on.
That is the defenition of garbage.

FiveIronFan
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FiveIronFan » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:19 pm

You seem to be into that kind of musical wanky rhetoric that finds "amazement" in music and you seem to think everyone you love is a "musical genius".

I sold my greenday albums a year or so ago, i find them pretty boring myself, but if three chords and catchy hooks is your cup of tea then more power to ya. I think everyone is just sick to death of you rubbishing everything you dont find good enough, without really thinking about it at all. Even now all you can say is that they play three chords and you dont like this because you find it childish. If you actually listened to an album youd find that its nothing like what you think it is anyway.

I dont really pay attention to the bands you wank on about, I just know that I should probably avoid them at all costs because you seem to listen to shit.

Also your obsession with thinking im stalking you is getting creepy. Stop it.

Aidan
So long and thanks for all the posts.

chunder

Postby chunder » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:39 pm

trash wrote:
chunder
but punk music lyrically is about expressing and challenging ideas.

I agree with this, and also is follwed through by the actions of the band, ie not selling out and being commercial, not contradicting their lyrics and what they are SUPPOSED to be about, nor being overly concerned with their fashion.
Green Day are laughable these days and so are people who think good charlotte and blink 182 and the like are punk.

Agree with you on this too, just note that I wasn't making this reference in terms of Green Day, just music in general.

A band shouldn't be a contradiction to its lyrics. I'm neither a lover or hater of Green Day, nor have I listened to the album beyond whats been played on C4 etc. So I'm definitely not an expert on what Green Day are up to at the moment.

I do think though, if a band, punk or pop punk or any genre actually, is singing about something political and they're nto blatantly doing it to get money, plus they are all over the mainstream, then sometimes its good just to get the message out there. Note I say SOMETIMES and also it depends on what the message is.

Bruticus

Postby Bruticus » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:12 pm

INTERNET WARFARE
INTERNET WARFARE
INTERNET WARFARE
WARFARE WARFARE
If I had a bag of chips I'd eat them

Jonny2Tone

Postby Jonny2Tone » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm

trash wrote:no it doesn't, there is never going to be anything exciting about three generic chords and winey "political" vocals.

You probably just described half the punk bands in the world. But you're right. Three chords and whiney vocals sucks.

Ouch wrote:Mate, there are a lot more clever things to write about then shooting fish in barrels by jumping on the bandwagon and singing about something that wannabe political punks like yourself will try but fail to relate to.

With the overwhelming sense of nationalism in the states at the moment its not very easy to be anti-government. I think this sort of 'psuedo-pop-politics' is important at a time like this because:

1) its not revolutionary enough to not get played in the mainstream media.
2) its getting the basic principles of an important idea out to a lot of people who would not usually be exposed to it
3) 'political punks' already know that they live in a society controlled by the media. this album is not for punks, this album is for your average suburban kid who likes his music hard but not too hard and challenging but not too challenging. Greenday are the opitimy of this. They're not straight-up punk, but you can hear a lot of the Clash/Stiff Little Fingers in their music... they're definately a punk genre band that can't really be disputed.

I just wish they'd come up with a new album instead of rewriting the same one for a decade. but I feel the same way about a whole bunch of punk bands. in fact I wish a lot of punk bands would move on from 1977... At least Greenday have achieved that.

If nothing more, the album is an interesting snapshot of post-9/11, wartime America.

Ouch
Dog's Best Friend

Postby Ouch » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:55 am

Boooooooooorrrrrring.

martin
Shandy Queen

Postby martin » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:13 pm

Wow Trash you sure do get into this internet stuff.

American Idiot is a great album and maybe you should have a listen to it and you might see that it is a lot more than 3 chords plus it is not what i would consider a political album.

As for me not knowing what i am talking about, thanks I needed to hear that from someone who has nothing better to do than bag on every band that they dont like.

You dont like Green day, fine.

No need to turn it into a big argument

Mike_111

Postby Mike_111 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:23 am

yeah whats with the 3 chord bullshit thats so old man god if music was guna just be 3 chords all the time it wuld be a bunch of lame ass shit :x

Grave Dancer

Postby Grave Dancer » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:50 pm

tell me martin, did you rub your cock, when drunk, on andrew morrison?

martin
Shandy Queen

Postby martin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:18 pm

Dead in Magazines wrote:tell me martin, did you rub your cock, when drunk, on andrew morrison?

haha I can not take credit for that one but whoever did should own up cos I will buy them a drink

Future Shock

Re: green day - American Idiot

Postby Future Shock » Sat May 24, 2008 7:17 pm

green day have written sum classic songs, were a punk band now they are even more dull and boring, listen to the clash and be dun with it.

think crass ala political statemants as it were

Phlegm

Re: green day - American Idiot

Postby Phlegm » Sat May 24, 2008 7:33 pm

Future Shock wrote:green day have written sum classic songs, were a punk band now they are even more dull and boring, listen to the clash and be dun with it.

think crass ala political statemants as it were

Woman: Do you dig graves?

Neil: Yeah, yeah, they're all right, yeah.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

Return to “All archived posts prior to 16-04-05”