green day - American Idiot

All posts prior to 16-04-05 have been archived here.
User avatar
martin
Shandy Queen
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:11 pm
Location: North Shore!

green day - American Idiot

Postby martin » Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:27 pm

Just got this CD in the mail and after 3/4's of a listen I am loving it. Some similar sounding stuff to their old works (from 1,039 to warning) and some new stuff.

Good One

User avatar
a.p.9.e.r
messageboard troll
Posts: 2852
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:47 pm

Postby a.p.9.e.r » Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:01 pm

It's nothing but a longer version of Warning.

Dumped into the 'disappointment' files.
For the record: I've listened to it about 10 times

Mike13
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:10 pm
Location: Dublin

Postby Mike13 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:01 pm

How did you get one in the mail so early? i want one!

Nah i dont reckon its anything like warning. i didnt like it that much the first listen, but only cause it wasnt what i was expecting. now i think its some of the best stuff theyve ever done.

jesus of suburbia is probably my favourite. or st jimmy.
"..And Hucknall did stand and he did say, 'Take forth thy freckly skin and firey hair, for the world doth need computer programmers and star trek fans. And beware thy sun for it is thine enemy'"

User avatar
martin
Shandy Queen
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:11 pm
Location: North Shore!

Postby martin » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:12 pm

I got it for work.

i am really liking it

alien

Postby alien » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:56 pm

i heard it at work too..

There's quite a mix.... It's got the slow songs and the faster songs but I don't think any of them sound as commercial as "time of your life"

User avatar
diamonDs
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Outta Space

Postby diamonDs » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:09 am

American Idiot is much more better than Warning
Image

Ph!1
Posts: 23848
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:05 am

Postby Ph!1 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:55 pm

i hate it, so much i cant understand why anyone would liek it, but then i hate everything they've ever done and everything that they are, so i guess my opinion means fuck all...

id have a shandy but teh beer is too good to dilute.

User avatar
BigNanaJez
Posts: 3150
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:45 pm
Location: Newtown

Postby BigNanaJez » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:01 am

I found a bit too ballady

trash
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 7:07 pm
Location: Auckland Central
Contact:

lame

Postby trash » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:39 pm

I find it really funny that they try and be political yet are in a famous mainstream pop punky band.
They need a lesson from Refused who play real punk and broke up when they got famous to stay true to their political anti right wing beliefs.
Green day are american idiots, and that song is also very weak and lacks substance like the whole album
One song on there is an enjoyable listen, "are we the waiting" which seems a lilttle more mature.
On the whole though not worth getting unless you like stuff like blink 182.
I can imagine elemnop fans enjoying this album.

User avatar
maoricore
Posts: 1604
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:15 pm
Location: beach haven, ghetto fabulous.
Contact:

Postby maoricore » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:49 pm

Not my cuppa tea. Found it generic, ballady and generally dry.

Back to real groovy with this one.

Always Hungry
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:53 am
Location: Wellington

Postby Always Hungry » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:53 pm

Its Green Day what the fuck do people expect..........from what i've heard its by their best. I'm certain that if you used to like Green Day and you don't like this you've changed....go listen to some AFI and reapply your mascara (ohh wait thats Green Day now too)

Its good that mainstream pop punk bands are getting political, it means that more people get exposed to stuff thats outside the general mainstream perspective.

User avatar
martin
Shandy Queen
Posts: 2962
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:11 pm
Location: North Shore!

Postby martin » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:13 pm

Always Hungry wrote:Its good that mainstream pop punk bands are getting political, it means that more people get exposed to stuff thats outside the general mainstream perspective.


Great point, They have been around lon enough too not to really care if they are "punk" enough

trash
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 7:07 pm
Location: Auckland Central
Contact:

Postby trash » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:12 pm

It's good that mainstream pop punk bands are getting political, it means that more people get exposed to stuff thats outside the general mainstream perspective.

I do see your point and it is a good one but the thing is it's so very put on, and the mainstream are fooled into thinking this music is punk.
The "political" lyrics are unintelligent, is this the example we want to set?
More Glassons girls wearing "punk" t.shirts?
Maybe with some education they could be of better influence.
AFI??? (spew)

Yeh I agree, it's Green day what to people expect?
They had some good stuff back in the day, but I'd like it more if they had progressed since the 90's and didn't try so hard to be so called punk.
By progressed I do not mean completely change, but I feel I am listening to a watered down version of the stuff I already have and that is very boring.

Mike13
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:10 pm
Location: Dublin

Postby Mike13 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:22 am

i dont think its watered down at all. its just like Always Hungry saifd, they dont really care about being called "punk" anymore. It only takes one listen to the album to realise that.

Writing political lyrics does not neccessarily mean you are trying to be punk. Its often just an artists way of getting their viewpoint accross, right or wrong.
"..And Hucknall did stand and he did say, 'Take forth thy freckly skin and firey hair, for the world doth need computer programmers and star trek fans. And beware thy sun for it is thine enemy'"

User avatar
_Fungus_
Posts: 2761
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: Wellington
Contact:

Postby _Fungus_ » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:28 pm

Listening to it online. Its okay i guess. Not gonna buy it though. Sorta bores me. But, I'm in a pretty bored mood, I normally sorta like green day so I'll listen to it another day and give my non-bored opinion.

Rust
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Postby Rust » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:35 pm

I think the album is very very good.
I even think it could go down as an all time classic.

Haven't had the same buzz about green day since Dookie. I think it may even have more depth and dares to be different... and works.. therefore significant album in time me thinks.

Very interesting to read how they went about recording it after they had a whole album stolen... they had to do something different I guess to get the energy to record the thing. bloody top work. Thanks to whoever stole those master tapes! nah.. shit that would have sucked.

rust.

if anyone in ak wants a place to practise or record get in touch:
www.therockfactory.net

Rust
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Postby Rust » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:36 pm

I think the album is very very good.
I even think it could go down as an all time classic.

Haven't had the same buzz about green day since Dookie. I think it may even have more depth and dares to be different... and works.. therefore significant album in time me thinks.

Very interesting to read how they went about recording it after they had a whole album stolen... they had to do something different I guess to get the energy to record the thing. bloody top work. Thanks to whoever stole those master tapes! nah.. shit that would have sucked.

rust.

if anyone in ak wants a place to practise or record get in touch:
www.therockfactory.net

Jane_Y
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:04 am

Re: lame

Postby Jane_Y » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:30 pm

trash wrote:They need a lesson from Refused who play real punk and broke up when they got famous to stay true to their political anti right wing beliefs.


Excuse my ignorance, but how did Refused breaking up mean they were statying true to their political right-wing beliefs?

User avatar
Laurenzorro
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Postby Laurenzorro » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:47 pm

i really like it. the song american idiot annoys the hell out of me now and maybe theres a tad too many slower songs...mind you, i havnt really listened to it properly. really really like st.jimmy, that songs quality.
FC wrote:Well, this is punkas. If we knew what we were posting about there wouldnt really be any point.

I hate you, all your friends, and everything you have ever been and will ever be involved with.




Aidan

User avatar
Jonny2Tone
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Postby Jonny2Tone » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:53 pm

Ahh, come on guys... lets face it.

Greenday are too old to be writing music like that now... they should be getting more complex or intellegent with experience. There is no evidence of evolution in their music.

The new album is just token crap. So much quasi-political crap has come out of the states since 9/11. Seems every man and his dog/pop-punk band has been 'politicised' by the US disposition.

I think Greenday were better when they wrote songs about... whatever their songs used to be about.

User avatar
diamonDs
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:49 pm
Location: Outta Space

Postby diamonDs » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:25 am

Too emo
Image

pukeface34

Postby pukeface34 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:30 am

not floating my boat

Mike_111

Postby Mike_111 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:30 am

it mite be emo but it shows that they can do aother shit to! a big thums up frm me

Ph!1
Posts: 23848
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:05 am

Re: lame

Postby Ph!1 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:49 am

Jane_Y wrote:
trash wrote:They need a lesson from Refused who play real punk and broke up when they got famous to stay true to their political anti right wing beliefs.


Excuse my ignorance, but how did Refused breaking up mean they were statying true to their political right-wing beliefs?


i dont think i can excuse this kind of ignorance, you didnt even read the post you quoted properly.

i disagree with trash however, because greenday had no discernable ideals to stay true to, they are just a pop, punk-image, band.

the fact that both bands have been described as punk, doesnt really put them in the same catagory to compare, they also both have drummer, gat and bassist, but thats about all they have in common.

Jane_Y
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:04 am

Re: lame

Postby Jane_Y » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:22 am

Wax wrote:
Jane_Y wrote:
trash wrote:They need a lesson from Refused who play real punk and broke up when they got famous to stay true to their political anti right wing beliefs.


Excuse my ignorance, but how did Refused breaking up mean they were statying true to their political right-wing beliefs?


i dont think i can excuse this kind of ignorance, you didnt even read the post you quoted properly.

i disagree with trash however, because greenday had no discernable ideals to stay true to, they are just a pop, punk-image, band.

the fact that both bands have been described as punk, doesnt really put them in the same catagory to compare, they also both have drummer, gat and bassist, but thats about all they have in common.


I read it properly, just forgot to write 'anti'. My question still hasn't been answered...

Ph!1
Posts: 23848
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:05 am

Postby Ph!1 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:45 am

ok, have you listened to the refused? il let trash or someone else answer, i dunno the specifics.

i just hate green day

Jane_Y
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:04 am

Postby Jane_Y » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:06 pm

Wax wrote:ok, have you listened to the refused? il let trash or someone else answer, i dunno the specifics.

i just hate green day


Yeah, I'm familiar with Refused. Just curious as to why them breaking up was such a political statement.

So Trash - when Greenday got famous they should've broken up so they could be more like Refused? Colour me confused.

User avatar
Bruticus
Posts: 5792
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:12 pm
Location: Guadalcanal
Contact:

Postby Bruticus » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:11 pm

Whocares, Refused are one of the most over-rated bands ever. If anything they broke up to escape their own hype

Jane_Y wrote:So Trash - when Greenday got famous they should've broken up so they could be more like Refused? Colour me confused.


You're confused because you're talking to Trash. However, she does love The Bleeders and that redeems her somewhat
Last edited by Bruticus on Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
If I had a bag of chips I'd eat them

User avatar
MC3PO
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:34 pm

music for musics sake

Postby MC3PO » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:12 pm

...i am a refused fan,

but i'm thinking that there was probably other reasons
behind them splitting up, as they broke up a LONG time
before they were ever big enough to be on TV in NZ..

and it is also interesting to note, that they signed with
victory and epitaph and then supposedly "broke up
because they were getting too big" hmmm..

^^which i think is very important as you must consider
first what is the problem with being too big??
that kind of talk just sounds like some bullshit, 'lets spread
the word to the hipsters-but the fuck the masses' rhetoric

and if you really are an advocate for change, then what
you really want is for everyone else to think like you do..

what i think this boils down to is how refused have conducted
the 'business' of their band...

one need only look to fugazi to see how this may be done
in a succesful, personally political way.

for instance fugazi, as ian mackaye says in the video 'instrument'
is simply "about being a band" ...and they way in which they "be
a band" just happens to be highly political... and very succesful
within the realms of what they have wanted to achieve,

for instance, because they are on dischord, they have complete
control over their music, and need not worry about "staying true
to their anti-right wing ideals" (whatever the hell that means)
and henceforth they have managaed to put out 7 full lengths as
opposed to refuseds 2 after which they pulled the plug on the
group,

if you read the blurb on 'the shape of punk to come'
you will also note that some of the members are only in the group
to satisfy their musical ambitions... now i think that is great, as
it means that within the musical manifesto that is 'the shape of punk
to come' there is room for unpoliticised people to create art-refused
are showing this themselves... but it does obviously bring the members
personal lives into the eqaution of how they broke up..

anywho, refused were a great band... but what my point is don't
demonise something like "getting big" without specifics, (e.g fugazi are a
big band-just not in the way you might define a band as 'big')

i believe that if you are a great artist there should be some way
for you to make your way in the world through the production of
your art, so that you may be wholly dedicated to it.
that=getting paid.

peace

luc
Image

Jane_Y
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:04 am

Postby Jane_Y » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:38 pm

Cheers Luc. Some excellent points made.


Return to “All archived posts prior to 16-04-05”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests