PAPA JACKS aka VOODOO LOUNGE

All posts prior to 16-04-05 have been archived here.
rubyseoul

Postby rubyseoul » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:57 pm

whos dissing nelly?!!!
muaahahaha.....fuck i'll admit it, i'm all over anything touched by pharrell williams magic fingers.......ohhh pharrell...

and the sneakers thing......man thats like my measure of a good bar/club.......if they don't let you in with your trainers on then you can pretty much guarantee you were going to have a crap time anyway. noine of the clubs here have a problem with trainers....compared to half the places in welly.....fuck, i can;t even remember what its like to wear high heels anymore!

Bruticus

Postby Bruticus » Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:05 pm

High heels are bad for you anyway, why would you want deformed toes and bad knees for the sake of fashion?!
If I had a bag of chips I'd eat them

Caliban

Postby Caliban » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:41 pm

you can pretty much get into just about any 'dance' niteclub in auckland nowadays wearing sneakers, so long as they're not fucking tatty. k rd door policy has been relaxed quite a bit this year (altho it was weird going to kiss bar the other weekend and being told i wasnt allowed to wear my red polo shirt, and that theyd rather have me wear my old ratty black adidas tshirt?). you can get into cardiac wearing sneakers even....
only place i've had trouble with lately was centro..

craccum has been entertaining in parts over the years. i knew last years editor pretty well..he got too obsessed with crap tho (like the whole pool thing..was kinda funny tho). cant speak for this years craccum tho, as i'm not at uni anymore.

Richie

Postby Richie » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:42 pm

Hmmm if I go there once every two or three months I might actually have fun. If it wasnt smokey, id go way more reguarly, but the smoke just kills me. the music is lame but it can be a fun time...I wish there were more kids into ahrdcore and metal and shit in this city, then we could have a proper hardcore, punk, metal bar.....
"I want the world to be a better place"-xThrowdownx

maso

Postby maso » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:28 pm

rubyseoul wrote:and the sneakers thing......man thats like my measure of a good bar/club.......if they don't let you in with your trainers on then you can pretty much guarantee you were going to have a crap time anyway. noine of the clubs here have a problem with trainers....compared to half the places in welly.....fuck, i can;t even remember what its like to wear high heels anymore!

ahuh. i figure if i can't get in wearing the clothes i'm wearing, well, i'm not going to enjoy the company or the music there anyway.

as for PJs, i used to go a lot when i turned 18, but now i have better things to do. the last few times i went i'm sure i've been too sober. as a venue, it attracts a crowd i'm not too sure i like. better than most places, but not one i'd like to be around too much. i think i'd rather go to a bar than there after a gig.

burgers

i think i'm drunk i think i'm drunk i think i'm drunk

Postby burgers » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:54 pm

Mieke wrote:And can I honestly say , it's a good place to get fucked up ! ( burgers knows it )

this thread is interesting.. so many people standing up for the bar and so many people slamming it..

it's been an interesting read. i must say, that i myself once found papa jacks a second home back when bugsy was dj'ing an i knew 4 out of every 5 staff members. nowadays i dunno who the fuck is serving me and i never get my special long island ice tea discounts. its just not like how it was.

oh and they've made the urinals smaller, which makes it harder to puke in them while trying to piss after the stench of robdoggs shit makes you gag.

i must admit i feel more at home at that bar than any other bar in the city.

nikilla.. there is nothing wrong with being on the VIP list. I'd rather "Soil" my shitty rep than pay 2 or 3 bucks to get in.

--pete.

scott penk

well

Postby scott penk » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:25 am

Lets face it Papas is about the only place to go in this shitty city unless there is a gig on ... I've seen heaps of you staunch punkas people there and strangely enough it looked like you were enjoying yourselves, god forbid. Papa Jacks holds no pretension you take it as you see it, oh isn't that what punk is? sure the tunes aren't 'hardcore' but it's better than listening to Nelly or repetitive beats.repetitive beats.repetitive beats.repetitive beats. repetitive beats. I'm down with the Jaxx until they stop letting you wear sneakers.

and then there are those who have no desire to hang in any bar unless there is a show on. theres a million other places to go in this city...
make your own entertainment

love scott

rubyseoul

Postby rubyseoul » Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:30 am

[quote="JMow007"]High heels are bad for you anyway, why would you want deformed toes and bad knees for the sake of fashion?![/quote]

because they're red and strappy and sexy as!

and i last like an hour in them which is why theres always a pair of jandals in my bag!

The Ost
mutton chops

Postby The Ost » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:06 am

Barneys! Ah, good times in Wellington there. But it's more like Shadows than Papa Jack's....

I'm sure I went to a Malevolence show once at Papa Jack's, but I could be mistaken :?

I like the London Bar more, because they have Old Speckled Hen on tap... mmm creamy goodness. 8)
"Society makes easy targets; colour, creed, sex. " - The Proletariat

INITIO CLUB: "Better than the crap people" since 1997

Richie

Postby Richie » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:41 am

I agree with Pete that it is handy rarely having to pay entry fee, two bucks, that is a lot of money to a poor student such as myself (any offers of gratiutious amounts of money for a minimal amount of work would be greatly appreciated)...and it is cool how it's unpretentious as someone else said. See my prior post for a dream of a punk, hardcore bar....

I am crossing my fingers the government introduces legislation abnning smoking in public places, bars resurants etc.....xxxxxxx
"I want the world to be a better place"-xThrowdownx

Scott Birthday
g33X0r d3luX0r

Postby Scott Birthday » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:46 am

Papa Jacks is a dirty, reeking, beer-stained shit-hole. The music is shit, most of the patrons (present comany excluded) are white trash morons and, even though it's not a dance music joint, there are white trousers. However, the staff are friendly, it's a cheap if non-existent door charge, and - what can I say? - it's home (although I would be open to suggestion for new places to call home, catch me drift?).

[TeamPropagandhi]Mob King

Postby [TeamPropagandhi]Mob King » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:00 am

NO FUCKING REQUESTS

I never been there, or heard of this bomber character, but I heard they have ^this sign over the DJ.

There is nowhere to go in Wellington, possibly the world. Even Valve is being slowly taken over by dance muzak.
Make assassinations, not war!

-Jamie-

yeah

Postby -Jamie- » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:28 am

I used to go there when I turned 18 back in 2000. I liked it for a while but the music was getting worse (linkin biscuit) and im sure they changed the dress code to singlets, red baseball caps and big chains. I only really go to town now to watch shows.

Deth_666
<reincarnated whore>

Postby Deth_666 » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:49 am

Scott Birthday wrote:Papa Jacks is a dirty, reeking, beer-stained shit-hole. The music is shit, most of the patrons (present comany excluded) are white trash morons and, even though it's not a dance music joint, there are white trousers. However, the staff are friendly, it's a cheap if non-existent door charge, and - what can I say? - it's home (although I would be open to suggestion for new places to call home, catch me drift?).

haha sew true, what a stank hole it is... but where else is there 2 go besides whoring in the square..

Andrew

papa jacks

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:23 pm

while I wouldn't want to go there on a Friday or Saturday night, they do occasionaly have bands on Thursdays, and that has to be a good thing - I've seen the Rudies and the Managers up there a coupla times.
We played there once and it was sweet - friendly staff, no dress code and they played Social D between bands - my only beef would be that the stage is too high...

Caliban

Postby Caliban » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:24 pm

i've seen more white pants at papa jacks than just about all the dance music clubs in auckland combined(except of course leftfield....)

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:36 pm

Monkey says:and then there are those who have no desire to hang in any bar unless there is a show on. theres a million other places to go in this city... make your own entertainment

I agree with Monkey - I only like going to bars if there is a show on - I would much rather drink at home, at parties or at friend's houses than at some overpriced shithole that plays shit music, and has some bullshit elitist 'dress code'...fuck that...

Nikilla

Postby Nikilla » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:41 pm

WORST CASE SCENARO:

Tight white pants.

EVEN WORSE THAN THE ABOVE WORST CASE SCENARIO:

Tight white pants, armed with (un-)matching whorey-ass-black-g-string (100% visible) underneath.

THE NO-QUESTION-ABOUT-IT WORSTEST (word invented especially for extra effect) THAN ANY OTHER WORSE CASE SCENARIO NOTED IN HISTORY:

Tight white pants, armed with (un-)matching whorey-ass-black-g-string (100% visible) underneath, worn by an individual who SHOULD be wearing 5 sizes larger than the one they are.

NOTE TO READER: I'm not REALLY a bitch, I'm just feeling frivolously superficial for the sake of humour. I don't mean any offence (especially to the type described above). 8) Besides, someone ELSE started the anti-white-pants-post. I am merely a statistic in the protest. :P

P.S.

To be COMPLETELY honest, I haven't really noticed many white-pants-wearers at PJ's before. Perhaps that's because I don't spend a majority of my time CHECKING OUT AND JUDGING OTHER RANDOM PEOPLE I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NIL ACQUAINTENCE WITH....
Kill it,

Any way you can.

Postby guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:46 pm

Fuck who cares, let em wear what they want... What's clothes anyways? To judge someone's personality & what/who they do between the sheets on the colour of clothing is kinda lame.

Hell, maybe I'll even wear some white pants and a black G at the next show.

FUCK FASHION - It's a dancefloor not a catwalk. :roll:

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:50 pm

Last time I went to Papa Jacks was for a Falciform gig. The gig was good. The bar staff seemed to think they were gods gift to bartending. They liked to insist on sliding my pint glass down the bar at me, I think it was because I was wearing a cowboy hat. Watching it slide down the bar then making the chump hand it to me proper like was good. Don't like the place much; hate uppity bar staff. More Voodoo, less trendoids!

The Beam Bar is far better. Darker, louder, cheaper and full of Westies. And goths, too.

But I would say that.
http://aotearoa666.com/

Caliban

Postby Caliban » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:51 pm

well, to be honest, the whole white pants and papa jacks thing...
i was just commenting on the fact that i HARDLY ever see any 'white pants girls' at dance music type places, and i'm pretty sure i've seen SOME white pants wearers at papa jacks.
the place to go for white pants tho was leftfield..whats the place replacing it called? and what kinda music does it play?

WORST CASE SCENARO:

Tight white pants.

EVEN WORSE THAN THE ABOVE WORST CASE SCENARIO:

Tight white pants, armed with (un-)matching whorey-ass-black-g-string (100% visible) underneath.

THE NO-QUESTION-ABOUT-IT WORSTEST (word invented especially for extra effect) THAN ANY OTHER WORSE CASE SCENARIO NOTED IN HISTORY:

Tight white pants, armed with (un-)matching whorey-ass-black-g-string (100% visible) underneath, worn by an individual who SHOULD be wearing 5 sizes larger than the one they are.

NOTE TO READER: I'm not REALLY a bitch, I'm just feeling frivolously superficial for the sake of humour. I don't mean any offence (especially to the type described above). Besides, someone ELSE started the anti-white-pants-post. I am merely a statistic in the protest.

P.S.

To be COMPLETELY honest, I haven't really noticed many white-pants-wearers at PJ's before. Perhaps that's because I don't spend a majority of my time CHECKING OUT AND JUDGING OTHER RANDOM PEOPLE I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NIL ACQUAINTENCE WITH...

if that entire post wasn't a judgement, what is a judgement?heh

world had some tshirts a while back saying 'fuck fashion'..well i saw some people wearing em anyway.

Nikilla

Postby Nikilla » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:52 pm

All shit smells the same. Almost. :?
Kill it,

Any way you can.

Nikilla

Postby Nikilla » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:53 pm

I've have you know that some of my BEST friends wear white pants.

Just sayin'.
Kill it,

Any way you can.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:56 pm

whenever I see white pants my practical mind envisions stain removal.

bloods hell to shift.
http://aotearoa666.com/

Caliban

Postby Caliban » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:57 pm

i know a girl who was wearing white pants and a black gstring way back in 99, before it became 'cool'.hah you shoulda seen all the guys eyes pop out when they saw it, as it was a relatively new thing back then. hah.

Nikilla

Postby Nikilla » Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:13 pm

idontmatter wrote:i know a girl who was wearing white pants and a black gstring way back in 99, before it became 'cool'.hah you shoulda seen all the guys eyes pop out when they saw it, as it was a relatively new thing back then. hah.

When you say 'pop out' do you mean in the sense disgust or excited arousal?
Kill it,

Any way you can.

Nikilla

Postby Nikilla » Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:17 pm

A small query:

Inform me, when were white pants ever 'cool'?

An additional query:

If white pants are nolonger 'cool' - what exactly is 'cool' now?

$ living unfashionably since 1990' something $
Kill it,

Any way you can.

The Ost
mutton chops

Postby The Ost » Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:22 pm

whatever you want it to be kiddo.

As for white pants, one day when we're playing, i'm going to show off my mid-90's White phat Origin jeans. I don't even know why I bought them, but they are funny.

My mate used to wear some white supertaper jeans from 1986. They were wicked classic.
"Society makes easy targets; colour, creed, sex. " - The Proletariat

INITIO CLUB: "Better than the crap people" since 1997

-Jamie-

Postby -Jamie- » Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:48 pm

yahahha! yeah you do that Ost, that will be funny as.

Caliban

Postby Caliban » Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:56 pm

excited arousal and fascination.

notice the ' 's surrounding 'cool'.

see the latest pavement magazine for what's 'cool' now. :D

ah yes i remember the origin jeans.

Return to “All archived posts prior to 16-04-05”