Old AFI albums

Trade, sell and swap your vinyl/CDs/DVDs/God-knows-what in here.
BroAsHeaps

Old AFI albums

Postby BroAsHeaps » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:40 am

Been hunting for a couple of earlier AFI albums, particularly the 'All Hallows' EP and 'Shut your mouth and open your eyes'.

I did find them online, but they cost alot to get and I'm pretty poor. I'm also not into ripping musicians off (because I would not want anyone to rip me off), so downloading them is not an option.

Shot bro.

BLUEPOWERADE

Re: Old AFI albums

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:18 am

So you are trying to buy them second hand? Which the artist still doesnt see a dime for?

Pretty sure i have seen both of those albums in RG/JB Hifi before.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:38 am

This site is good for finding hard to get stuff for cheap. Some of them are listed as new too:
http://www.musicstack.com/album/afi/all+hallows
http://www.musicstack.com/album/afi/shu ... +your+eyes
"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:08 am

Torrent both of them, then buy a T-Shirt from their website. Everybody wins.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Both Blue Powerade and Lurch make very good points. Thats like the highest 'constructive comment to stupid shit' ratio I've seen.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:31 pm

Especially in an AFI related thread. If there was ever a good moment to play the "OP is a fag" card now would be it, surely?

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Lurch wrote:Torrent both of them, then buy a T-Shirt from their website. Everybody wins.

this

come on, its AFI, they have sold out completely anyway, you can buy afi shoes ffs

its just a weird thing to have an ethical issue about, it always amazes me when people say they are against downloading, what in fucks name is wrong with you?
why have a moral sticking point that protects fabulously rich people?
do you refuse to buy slave laboured products?
do you refuse to eat grain fed animals?
avoid soy products?
avoid palm oil products?(probably, its been in the news)
do you shop only at grocery stores and avoid supermarkets?
do you refuse to burn fossil fuels?
eat seafood?
eschew unnecessary technology that directly causes pain and suffering in the countries its produced?(apparently not, youre using a computer or smartphone)

im not saying you should do any of those things, well actually i am, we all 'should', of course i dont do most of them either, you dont have to be a paragon of virtue by any means, but it seems a wee bit more moral to not directly support slavery and deliberate famine than to not rip off some extremely wealthy musicians, who, if you thought about it properly, youre not ripping off at all.

there, thats what this thread was missing, *takes a bow*
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:45 pm

for good measure.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

kettles

Postby kettles » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm

BroAsHeaps wrote:I'm also not into ripping musicians off (because I would not want anyone to rip me off), so downloading them is not an option.

Shot bro.

You've been getting ripped off one way or another your entire life son.

Download the AFI shit and donate the monetary equivalent to a cause that actually matters.

BroAsHeaps

Postby BroAsHeaps » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:23 pm

kettles wrote:
BroAsHeaps wrote:I'm also not into ripping musicians off (because I would not want anyone to rip me off), so downloading them is not an option.

Shot bro.

You've been getting ripped off one way or another your entire life son.

Download the AFI shit and donate the monetary equivalent to a cause that actually matters.

Your right. Everyone rips everyone else off. Which is why the cycle has to stop somewhere.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:29 pm

:crazyeyes: :bad-words:

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 pm

BroAsHeaps wrote:I did find them online, but they cost alot to get and I'm pretty poor. I'm also not into ripping musicians off (because I would not want anyone to rip me off), so downloading them is not an option.

So what do you think they would prefer, you downloading the album, and then buying 50 bucks worth of shit/ merch/ new albums off them. Or you giving 50bucks to some guy who originally bought it for 10, and the band getting nothing.

Your other option is probably to buy it off iTunes, in which case they may get a few cents. Score.

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:29 pm

Alright, I'll do it. OP is a fag.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:31 pm

dude cant be reasoned with, whats the bet hes christian?

BroAsHeaps

Postby BroAsHeaps » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:dude cant be reasoned with, whats the bet hes christian?

Yeah Im Christian, which is why I don't compromise my moral standards based on what other people think. Its cool you noticed tho, kinda the effect I aim for.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 pm

You aimed to make people think you were an idiot for following what the consumer media machine wants you to do for no justifiable reason? I think you misinterpreted something along the way. At least come up with a good argument if you're trying to make a point (about supporting record labels, or whatever you were trying to do)
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro

BroAsHeaps

Postby BroAsHeaps » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Stealing and ripping people off, regardless of who they are or what company they represent, is still exactly that. Lets not call it for anything other than what it is.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 am

you didnt answer as to whether or not you take any other moral stands like avoiding slave labour products or not eating meat that is fed on grain from 3rd world countries ...?

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am

Lets look at it this way: those companies fuck over the artists so you fucking them over in return is completely fine. An Eye for an Eye, you know. It's in that book of yours.

BroAsHeaps

Postby BroAsHeaps » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 am

I buy fairtrade wherever and whenever I can, and I have a generally vegetarian diet anyway. Might eat the odd piece of meat, not denying that, but as for its origins, I generally don't ask.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:10 am

Anyway that still makes no sense, because you're talking about buying it second hand, so either way you're getting a product that the artist isn't being paid for. If the music industry could criminalise selling second hand cd's, they'd do it in a heartbeat, just like the gaming industry. Whatever satisfies your rigid monastic moral code.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:13 am

BroAsHeaps wrote:I buy fairtrade wherever and whenever I can, and I have a generally vegetarian diet anyway. Might eat the odd piece of meat, not denying that, but as for its origins, I generally don't ask.
so why is your position on that so much less rigid when is clearly morally so much worse?
is it just the legality that is an issue for you?

i guess slavery and plundering are both sanctioned in the bible, but it clearly states no stealing...

judging right and wrong by 2000 year old standards is perfectly rational.

BroAsHeaps

Postby BroAsHeaps » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:22 am

I wouldn't buy the meat if I was aware of its origin, nor would I download copyrighted material. However, if someone was listening to a downloaded CD, and I heard it, it wouldn't bother me. Thats their choice, likewise with the whole food thing. If I was offered it, it wouldn't bother me.

Modern culture holds a more subjective view of right and wrong than previous generations, even as far back as 2000 years ago. They were more concrete on their moral standards, which is a personal choice I have made to commit to. Also, they are based on essentially the same moral principles we have today, just the application looks different.

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 am

So how is buying second hand any different to downloading?

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 am

well, broas, just so you know, in NZ, all chicken and pork, unless otherwise stated, is fed on grain, at least partly, sourced from 3rd world countries, in america it includes all beef, grass feed beef is a luxury to them.
NZ will soon have grain fed/feedlot beef, which is being fought on environmental grounds, but the ethical concerns are not nothing.

in anycase, marrows argument holds more water than mine, since you seem to be an ethical person, i just find it strange people who think downloading is wrong, but quite happily buy sweatshop clothing, it seems that they are actually influenced by the bullshit marketing from the record execs

take it from all of us here at punkas.com, downloading music is not stealing, especially if you actually buy some of their merch.
you will find that eventually either music will be free, or the internet will be gone.
but no matter what way you look at it, what youre doing is not for the benefit of the band themselves, they make their living mostly from touring and merch.

BroAsHeaps

Postby BroAsHeaps » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:37 am

Nobody wins with downloading, except the person getting the album. My logic is that someone has brought the album, so the band is/has been supported, and the person selling the album is getting something more out if it. Good economics, in theory, supports a rotational system that keeps money changing hands. That doesn't happen, which results in uneven distribution of wealth. Anyway, Im going off topic. I would rather pay for something, even secondhand, than download it. Its that simple.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:43 am

what if i sold my copy to you, but i burn it before i sell it?

or what if i just download the album, burn it onto a disc and sell you that?

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:01 am

Also how do you think it got up on the internet in the first place? Somebody had to buy it.

they make their living mostly from touring and merch.

Is this that hard to grasp? One tshirt is going to make the band more money than if you brought their entire back catalogue on CD.

My system? Unless they are a NZ band and/or are bothering to release on Vinyl then I don't waste my money. CD is a dying format anyway so you are stupid not to just download. I'm down to just one crate of essential CDs and those never ever get listened to unless they're ones I've ripped.
Last edited by Lurch on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:35 am

BroAsHeaps wrote:
Fiction & Falsehood wrote:dude cant be reasoned with, whats the bet hes christian?

Yeah Im Christian, which is why I don't compromise my moral standards based on what other people think. Its cool you noticed tho, kinda the effect I aim for.

Ahahahaha. Good call.
Total retard.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 am

BroAsHeaps wrote:Nobody wins with downloading, except the person getting the album.

Bullshit, its the best free advertising to get people to pay to see you play live.
Catch up.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Return to “Buy/Sell”