Most chilling documentaries

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Drax

Most chilling documentaries

Postby Drax » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm talking good documentaries that deal with profoundly bleak or harrowing subject matter. Not so much the more 'fun' ones that treat subjects in a more entertaining or sensationalist way. Thought I'd share these two since they really stick out for me:

Srebrenica: A Cry from the Grave (1999)
'Documentary about the fall of Srebrenica (Bosnian civil war, 1995). For a large part consisting of original video material shot by people involved themselves.'
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fliw801iX84

Just to be clear, this is a documentary about genocide. I'd caution watching it if you're not in the right frame of mind to watch something very fucking real and very grim. There is a lot of original footage in this and it makes the whole thing very unsettling. However, I found it impossible to turn off, and it does seem very well-made. It came out only four years after the massacre itself, which seems to work in its favour in some respects and disadvantages it in others.

The Bridge (2006)

'People suffer largely unnoticed while the rest of the world goes about its business. This is a documentary exploration of the mythic beauty of the Golden Gate Bridge, the most popular suicide destination in the world, and those drawn by its call. Steel and his crew filmed the bridge during daylight hours from two separate locations for all of 2004, recording most of the two dozen deaths in that year (and preventing several others). They also taped interviews with friends, families and witnesses, who recount in sorrowful detail stories of struggles with depression, substance abuse and mental illness. Raises questions about suicide, mental illness and civic responsibility as well as the filmmaker's relationship to his fraught and complicated material.'
Link: Couldn't find a good one. A torrent or solarmovie are probably good options if you wanna get it for free.

Image Image

I have some mixed feelings about this film. Again, it's one I found almost impossible to stop watching. I'm very pro-discussion when it comes to suicide, but there's one or two aspects to this movie that trouble me a bit. Nonetheless, I'd say it's well worth a watch. But again, I wouldn't watch it if you don't really feel like you're in the right frame of mind. There is actual footage of real suicides in this movie.

the croc

Re: Most chilling documentaries

Postby the croc » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Waco: The Rules of Engagement
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Drax

Postby Drax » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:45 pm

J wrote:the bridge sounds interesting, what aspects did you find troubling (other than the obvious). what makes that location so attractive to people? i haven't been to SF so haven't seen it in person, but it appears to be not quite high enough to guarantee 'success', do they have survivors? i'm not sure i could watch the doco myself.

It's pretty high, but yes, some people survive the fall. The problem then is that the ocean there is so cold and current so strong, you're pretty much still fucked. Plus: sharks. There is one survivor in that documentary who tells the story of his entire ordeal, and it's fucking insane. It's been quite sometime since I watched it, but I think I recall that part of it's attraction to people who are contemplating or attempting suicide is that it's a beautiful place, but one that has also come to be known as a place for suicide. Like I said, it's been a while since I saw it and my recollections are a bit vague. When I visited the bridge myself, I found it quite a strange place, because it's impressive, beautiful, a lot of fun to walk over, and fairly touristy, but there's also a bunch of suicide helpline stations and signs all along it. Like these:

I found it somewhat troubling to watch because the footage of suicides and how they gained that footage raises quite a few questions. But the filmmakers did make attempts to stop suicides when they could, and they prevented several suicides in doing so. They also took measures to prevent the filming actually resulting in more jumps. All in all, they actually saved lives by creating the movie. But it is some crazy, new territory in documentary filmmaking that I'm not 100% comfortable with.

So I'm kind of contradicting myself. But now that I think about it, I think it's a daring film, but one that is incredibly worthwile. Even just for the fact that it raises awareness and promotes discussion of the topic. I also think it helps tear down some myths about suicide, and showing the reality of these experiences in frank, documentary footage assists that. But fuck, the people working on it must've felt like they were walking a fine line. The same material could easily inadvertently romanticise killing yourself.

I really need to re-watch it. And I'd recommend viewing it if you're really interested. It's not as bleak as you might imagine. I felt very strange at the end of it but didn't regret it one bit.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:17 pm

Drax wrote:The same material could easily inadvertently romanticise killing yourself.

honestly, id probably say that thats been done to a degree that you dont need to worry about it.

you certainly neednt fear that happening, to the point that you dont do anything at all.
"Look how happy he is"

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:50 am

Zero Days
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 pm

this is awesome!!

spazgrinder

Postby spazgrinder » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:23 pm

"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 pm

probably not chilling enough, but interesting, its in gaelic tho a lot of it.
"Look how happy he is"

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 am

CHASING ASYLUM (link below) doco on australian off shore detention centres.
The deppressive reality is somewhat chilling.
More sickening than anything. But definately worth watching.
Its amazing how mainstream aussie culture is willing to overlook the facts. Its well known that horrible things happen in these camps. Its also known that immense amounts of tax dollars are spent on these camps. But the average aussie seems to blame this on the asylum seeker, not on the those who set up these horrible institutions. You only need to read the Herald Sun once and the nations immense stupidity and xenophobia becomes vividly apparant.
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/wit ... 05813.html

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:30 pm

10 points.

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 am

Not chilling but a good documentary:

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:35 pm