Vikings (series)

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Philfy Vermin
Location: pointing two fingers at head and making 'peow' noises

Vikings (series)

Postby Philfy Vermin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:37 am

dammit, i was was just about to get the first few eps of this off a friend today..

a bit pre-disappointed, altho theres not much to say vikings didnt braid their hair, a lot of this is valid, id be prepared to overlook minor details about clothing and belt buckles, but a stone built town? maybe its york or london... i hope, but still, come on...?
since im a huge fan of bernard cornwells saxon series, which is set in the same era and concerns several of the same historical figures, my head is full of this stuff, cornwells books are fiction, but he is a historian, and he writes a short historical note at the end of each book, explaining which characters and events were made up and shit, otherwise hes extremely accurate.
i dont expect that level of detail from a tvshow, but i think im gunna wind up hating this, even tho i really want to like it.
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

General Mutante wrote:You're so controversial. I can't handle it.

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Re: Vikings (series)

Postby geneterror666 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Yeah but besides all that it was still a good first series. Black Metal/Emo guyed annoyed me as did the eyeless village Soothsayer/Seer/Warlock whatever the fuck he was. Whatever, I will still watch the second series.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Good watching.
General Mutante wrote:Every wristie is a performance as far as I'm concerned.

dclxvi
Location: pissy shitty bloddy period rape shit cum food stains

Postby dclxvi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Entertaining show, good watch. To be honest "Varyag" sounds like a bit of a pedantic dick.
Kerry wrote:Then at an old age, the neighbour's dog thought it would be crakup to maul him and he died so we chucked him up in the ground.

Cosmo Kramer wrote:i have full qualifications (john grisham novels 1-10) and i am yet to sit the bar exam but i know i will pass

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:54 pm

hes a wrong dick too, i didnt notice before, but what he describes as 11th century norman, is the closest thing to an authentic danish viking era haircut.

i got 3 eps il give em a watch soon.

geneterror666 wrote:Yeah but besides all that it was still a good first series. Black Metal/Emo guyed annoyed me as did the eyeless village Soothsayer/Seer/Warlock whatever the fuck he was. Whatever, I will still watch the second series.

skald maybe?
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 pm

I like watching TV and not caring about historical inaccuracies.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Have you guys seen that Simpsons show? They only have four fingers haha wtfs with that bullshit?

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:26 pm

FC wrote:I like watching TV and not caring about historical inaccuracies.

i guess reality tv doesnt have much historical inaccuracies

thats like listening to music and not caring that it was sloppily produced by a record company in response to focus testing, marketed at the -100 iq teenage moron demographic.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm pretty sure even the makers of the show say it was inspired by real vikings and events, rather than a completely accurate portrayl of them. In fact the quote from one of them on wikipedia is "A historical account of the Vikings would reach hundreds, occasionally thousands, of people. Here we’ve got to reach millions." which is pretty fair I think.

It was a good show, and I enjoyed it, and didn't think of it as a historically accurate documentary. You should just be happy they didn't give their helmets horns.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:42 pm

well i still havnt watched it yet cos i cant be fucked climbing under my desk to plug my HD back in, but im not planning to be like varyag about it, but when you use real history, you gotta stick with it or its just game of thrones.
keeping it from looking silly isnt the same as making it a doco, thats an odd thing to say.
its more about being realistic than being precious about minor details.
im now cautiously optimistic about this, historical accuracy has gotta be sacrificed for narrative, no worries there, i just dont wanna be watching xena 2.0

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:54 pm

There are definitely inaccuracies in it, from what you've pointed out, and from reading some stuff on the internet, but I think as far as these sorts of things go it's a lot more accurate than any other "historical fiction" that's been around in recent times. It's certainly no 300.

hate and wedges

Postby hate and wedges » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:30 am

I really liked it. I think it holds a nice balance between "vaguely historically accurate" and "this is sort of like a myth". It's definitely building to Viking myth tragedy levels. Plus that Viking fest ep with mushrooms and sacrifice was straight baller. Reading the AV club reviews (and comments, shockingly) might help to reconcile the inaccuracies within their hearts

D Rone

Postby D Rone » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:12 am

Got a txt last night from Big Bird saying that he had to dress up in a wolf skin cloak and be surrounded by naked women for an international tv series about vikings.
Second season?
Revenge Computer

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:39 am

FC wrote:I like watching TV and not caring about historical inaccuracies.

I like watching channels that aren't The History Channel and not caring about historical accuracy.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:43 pm

difficulty streaming this show, got any good links?, ive found one but its slow as shit, maybe its this archaic beast of a machine but hey.

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:52 pm

Watched most of this on a long haul flight. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:51 pm

2nd season is awesome. Has been rather pleasant watching GOT and then the new Vikings a few days later.
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:28 pm

I enjoy both but Vikings is a much better show IMO. This season has been excellent.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 am

Anyone else think the religious stuff this season has been real lame?

Also, the end of the last episode was real dumb :(
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:19 am

havnt commented in this thread for ages, still only watched a few eps out of the first season, some time ago, but its really pretty good from a history nerd perspective, some things are laughable, like the attack on lindisfarne was ridiculous, its literally right outside bamburgh castle, theres no way they would have gotten away with that with such a small amount of men.
but that sort of thing can be fairly put down to budget constraints, and they get so much other shit right that most people wouldnt even notice, so its pretty easy to forgive inconsequential inaccuracies for the sake of following the path of events that we do know, there will always be people(like me) complaining about it minor details and there will always be people like aidan who would be perfectly happy if the vikings had horned helmets and stainless steel plate armour, but the makers obviously know what they are doing, and from what little ive seen i think this show is really good.
i remember the first episode being a fuckin drag tho.
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Yeah I like it for the reasons you mention, but this season they seem to have introduced a lot of supernatural (religious) phenomenon. It kind of ruins the historic aspect.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:56 pm

I just started watching this shoo recently due to being years uncool. Enjoying it so far. Makes me interested in looking up the actual historical accounts, but not bothered if they don't stick to them.

9seconds wrote:some things are laughable, like the attack on lindisfarne was ridiculous, its literally right outside bamburgh castle, theres no way they would have gotten away with that with such a small amount of men.

I was a bit confused as to how they departed from a spectacular fjord (ie. not a Danish one), sailed due west, and arrived in England and not Scotland. But I suppose in the end being a couple of degrees of latitude off wouldn't be too bad for floaty bucket tech.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 pm

^haha when I look at a map of Europe this often comes to mind

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:41 am

some would claim to this day that lindisfarne IS scottish
"Look how happy he is"

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:00 pm

Been chipping away at this over the past month. Just watched episode 2 of season 3 last night. Thoroughly enjoyed :mrgreen:

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:42 pm

Season 4 looks disappointing thus far. They're starting to edge away from what made it good and head towards a generic Americanised TV show.
Trying to run 6 different stories at once - some which (at this point in time) are pointless.
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:32 am

Yeah this seasons been pretty boring, struggling to give a fuck. The religious/visions shit is still BS

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:26 pm

ironically(still havnt been watching this, wanna give it a good binge when theres heaps) il probably be ok with most of the ooky spooky shit, since that was a huge part of how people operated back then
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:21 pm

Well sure, my problem is that the show is depicting that shit is real, not just in people's heads. Pretty lame coming from history channel

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Been watching more of this lately. Still chuckling about how much Jarl Borg looked like the King of Wessex. It's like one of those video games where you travel to a completely different location and meet enemies that are the exact same 3D model, just with different hair and skin tone. The remake of Sid Meier's Pirates comes to mind.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Return to “Movies & TV”