star wars ep 7!?

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Drax

Re: star wars ep 7!?

Postby Drax » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Loal :baton:

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:57 am

Mostly pretty deece. Biggest complaint was the fucking weak as shit villains. Ky L'Oreal was basically a cross between My Chemical Romance and a pantene ad, Red headed step child was a rd headed step child, and giant 90's cgi gollum is such an obvious set up for a high-larious "he's actually really small so compensates with a giant hologram" joke in Ep 8 that he's literally worse than Jar Jar Binks. The feminism = perfect, unflawed, unbeatable mary sue trope needs to die also.

But yeah, x wings shot at tie fighters, there were weird underlit aliens in a social setting, homosexual droid banter, lightsabre fights etc so overall a solid 8/10 for a Star wars movie.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:24 pm

I thought it was fucking good.
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:35 am

george lucas gave up his pay for starwars, $300,000, for the rights to the toys.

also he only made it cos he couldnt get the rights to flash gordon, a successful toy franchise, which was based on buck rogers before it, a marketing tie in dream.

if youre gunna call me an idiot, please know what youre talking about, i thought you were into movies or something? ;)
"Look how happy he is"

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:31 pm

I thought it was Dune that he wanted to get the rights for anyway? Which makes sense because A New Hope is blatantly Dunelite.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:55 am

Saw it today at the iMax in the science history museum, apparently it's one of the best cinemas to see it in 2D? I dunno, was big and stuff.

Movie was rad, agree with Al's review, I think the next one could be even better now that all the (re)introduction of characters are out of the way.

The kill off was a good move
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:19 pm

No way, his performance may have been good or even great. My criticism is clearly of the character itself, and the fact remains that between the hyper competence of the heroes, particularly Rey, and the weakness of all three villains there aren't any real stakes. I'd go further than saying you feel sorry for him: you pity him. What on earth is the point of chucking a huge Nazi rally onscreen and then having two pissbabies who answer to a shitty gollum knock off hosting it? Did you honestly ever feel any danger for the protagonists?

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:38 pm

How come they were both instant light sabre experts is what I was wondering. How the fuck either of those two could spar with Ren for more than half a second without getting their heads cut off is beyond me. Ren has been trained since he was a child right? Anybody got an explanation for that?

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:07 pm

The force, duh

(Was a bit silly)

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:09 am

Loved it. Only time will tell if it was any good (I also loved episode 1 when I was a kid, but hindsight has obviously changed that opinion).

The only thing I didn't like is:
So far the storyline is pretty much the same as the original trilogy. Person who is strong in the force is found, awkward father/son relationship, giant space station is destroyed, young Jedi seeks old Jedi on distant planet for jedi training
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:11 am

. wrote:
Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:How come they were both instant light sabre experts is what I was wondering. How the fuck either of those two could spar with Ren for more than half a second without getting their heads cut off is beyond me. Ren has been trained since he was a child right? Anybody got an explanation for that?

yeah for sure, this is a totally valid criticism and probably the weakest part of the movie for me. and it wasn't only the light sabre fight but also the way in which rey could just mind control the storm trooper so quickly. way too convenient.

pixar have a set of story-telling rules for their movies and #19 is: "Coincidences to get characters into trouble are fine; coincidences to get them out of trouble are cheating." i feel like these moments in star wars, while they don't literally break this rule, they break the intention of this rule, which is just as bad as.

My thoughts on any Star Wars movie is to enjoy them with out picking holes. They are full of them, which is a part of their charm.

I suspect though that Fin is influenced to and extent by the force. Maybe not to Jedi status though.
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:36 am

i honestly am being put off seeing these movies out of fear of this pointless fucking convo
"Look how happy he is"

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:42 pm

9seconds wrote:i honestly am being put off seeing these movies out of fear of this pointless fucking convo

You could just not contribute

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Subcide wrote:
9seconds wrote:i honestly am being put off seeing these movies out of fear of this pointless fucking convo

You could just not contribute

The first rule of Kanja Club is do not talk about Kanja Club.

That a central character was a cross between ET and the Oracle came as a surprise.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Think back to the original trilogy, Luke trains with a laser shooting wiffle ball and piles up some rocks with Yoda. Not once does he actually practice duelling but he still manages to hold off Vader and eventually defeat him with fuck all actual experience.

Stuff about Rey below:
Rey is shown fairly early on smashing cunts with her staff so you know she has at least some combat experience and by the time she actually fights Kylo he's been injured a bunch. She spends most of the fight just fending him off rather than actually duelling.
I'm pretty confident Rey is gonna turn out to be Luke's kid.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:32 pm

. wrote:
Rizzo wrote:
Rey is shown fairly early on smashing cunts with her staff so you know she has at least some combat experience and by the time she actually fights Kylo he's been injured a bunch. She spends most of the fight just fending him off rather than actually duelling.

is that last bit even up for discussion? it might not have been explicitly stated, but i thought it was said loud and clear visually that she definitely is. are there people who say that she's not?

Read an article the other day about the tie in video game.
Where Kylo Ren says in the movie "Look at me" in the game he says "Look at me, Cousin".
Rumour has it that this could be an unintentional slip up by the the game makers and the inside info that the studio gave them during development. It's apparently included in a game walk through on youtube.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:11 pm

Oh yeah? I was kind of caught up in the spectacle rather than paying attention to details. I'll probably go see it again soon and pull a full nerd
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:33 am

Rizzo wrote:Oh yeah? I was kind of caught up in the spectacle rather than paying attention to details. I'll probably go see it again soon and pull a full nerd

Me to

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:17 am

Rizzo wrote:Think back to the original trilogy, Luke trains with a laser shooting wiffle ball and piles up some rocks with Yoda. Not once does he actually practice duelling but he still manages to hold off Vader and eventually defeat him with fuck all actual experience.

Stuff about Rey below:

I dunno, sure they don't have too much of a training montage, but I think you are given the impression Luke did a lot of training both with OB an Yoda in terms of controlling the force

Being able to harness mind controlling powers without that kind of training felt a bit weak

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 am

It was good.

I've got a friend working on Rogue One at the moment and he reakons that story will kick TFA's ass, set between 3 and 4 about buch of rebel guys stealing the plans for the Death Star fuck yeah.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:45 pm

^^
That sounds sick.

We finally saw it last night. Pretty deope, my only minor complaints were the CG characters old mates Snoke and Maz. Just felt a bit out of place among the rest of the great creature effects. Other than that and maybe the ending being slightly cheese
when did Luke join Sunn O)))?
it was awesome. Been a long time since i've been at the movies and been literally pinned to my seat going "whoa that looks amazing".

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:34 pm

Went to see it again without having the young fulla wiggling around and the ex missus not understanding how a cinema fucking works. Was good. Think it will hold up to repeat viewing which is what you really want from it. Sit down and empty your head for 2 hours. Was planning to pop out during on of the quieter bits to grab another beer but ended up forgetting to so that's a point in it's favour maybe?

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:21 pm

Yeah I found first viewing I was so occupied with trying to take absolutely everything in that I didn't really take much in lol.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:44 pm

General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Subcide wrote:My thoughts on any Star Wars movie is to enjoy them with out picking holes. They are full of them, which is a part of their charm.

Exactly!!
I saw this in Levin the other night and it was fucken great. Just like every other Star Wars movie there ever has been and ever will be.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

Drax

Postby Drax » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Fully.

...except

II and III are such blatantly shitty, shitty films I can't apply it. Instead I have to try and enjoy how hilariously riddled with plot holes, abysmal dialogue, fucktarded characters and bad special effects they are. Thank fuck Auralnauts put the prequels to some actual good use.

Was watching all movies again before going to see TFA a second time. GF summed up the prequel scripting with 'everyone has lines that only C3PO should say.'

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:33 pm

I thought we were pretending that didn't exist?

Drax

Postby Drax » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:56 pm

. wrote:II and III may be shitty, shitty films, but they're both better than I :P

Heeeeeeeeeeeeell no. They're all corkers, but that is the least punishing of the three (unless you're watching solely for the loals). Episode I actually had some cool shit in the mix. Those other two haven't got SHIT except a few cool ship designs and Natalie Portman's face. Even Ian McDiarmid's Sidious becomes a parody of the original shitbag.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:58 pm

C3PO got made in ep 1 by Darth Vader because George Lucas is an idiot savant that sometimes does great things and sometimes decides that there are only 6 people in the entire fucking universe. No C3PO, no best romantic couple in the entire series.

And I just realised that if you don't watch ep 1 you don't know kid vader made 3PO and you actually remove a bit more idiocy from star wars.

You win this round.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:05 pm

. wrote:machete order completely removes ep I while using eps II and III as a flashback after ep V in order to greaten empire's cliffhanger. while i totally agree that II and III are awful films, i strongly believe that the machete order of IV, V, II, III, VI is better than only watching IV, V, VI.

Exactly, pretending I doesn't exist.

The introduction of mediclorians was done terribly, but the general idea that the force isn't some woo woo voodoo shit isn't that bad...

Return to “Movies & TV”