star wars ep 7!?

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
UNIT

Re: star wars ep 7!?

Postby UNIT » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:32 pm

My son is here ...I have felt him.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPpioEOR7cg[/video]

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:09 am

who here has seen this cunt yet?
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:41 am

Saw it yesterday. It's aight

Drax

Postby Drax » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:12 pm

Same here.

There's some annoying shit. Death Star 3: Electric Boogaloo is a bit dumb. Snoke is lame. It borrows too heavily off the OG trilogy. But the tone, look and feel of it is on the money and the performances are good.

But most importantly:

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:16 am

I thought the brutal slow motion Deliverance style gang bang scene with the sand people was a bit much. Why does everyone try so hard to be edgy these days?
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:26 pm

. wrote:jedi is when sw became about selling toys instead of making rad movies. it's terrible.

yeh i agree, its just like how transformers wasnt just about selling toys until the new movies came out, back in the 80's it was just passionate people telling an earnest story, and kids would just transform with bits of cardboard, cotton reels and bottle caps.
"Look how happy he is"

Drax

Postby Drax » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Loal :baton:

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:57 am

Mostly pretty deece. Biggest complaint was the fucking weak as shit villains. Ky L'Oreal was basically a cross between My Chemical Romance and a pantene ad, Red headed step child was a rd headed step child, and giant 90's cgi gollum is such an obvious set up for a high-larious "he's actually really small so compensates with a giant hologram" joke in Ep 8 that he's literally worse than Jar Jar Binks. The feminism = perfect, unflawed, unbeatable mary sue trope needs to die also.

But yeah, x wings shot at tie fighters, there were weird underlit aliens in a social setting, homosexual droid banter, lightsabre fights etc so overall a solid 8/10 for a Star wars movie.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:24 pm

I thought it was fucking good.
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

Postby . » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:57 pm

9seconds wrote:
. wrote:jedi is when sw became about selling toys instead of making rad movies. it's terrible.

yeh i agree, its just like how transformers wasnt just about selling toys until the new movies came out, back in the 80's it was just passionate people telling an earnest story, and kids would just transform with bits of cardboard, cotton reels and bottle caps.

don't be fucking idiot. star wars started that merchandising shit, and it wasn't by design. by the time jedi came around merch had become the priority. it wasn't at the priority at the start like it was for transformers, 7 years after the fact.

Postby . » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:58 pm

yossarian wrote:Mostly pretty deece. Biggest complaint was the fucking weak as shit villains. Ky L'Oreal was basically a cross between My Chemical Romance and a pantene ad, Red headed step child was a rd headed step child, and giant 90's cgi gollum is such an obvious set up for a high-larious "he's actually really small so compensates with a giant hologram" joke in Ep 8 that he's literally worse than Jar Jar Binks. The feminism = perfect, unflawed, unbeatable mary sue trope needs to die also.

But yeah, x wings shot at tie fighters, there were weird underlit aliens in a social setting, homosexual droid banter, lightsabre fights etc so overall a solid 8/10 for a Star wars movie.

fuck you have terrible opinions sometimes shane.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:35 am

george lucas gave up his pay for starwars, $300,000, for the rights to the toys.

also he only made it cos he couldnt get the rights to flash gordon, a successful toy franchise, which was based on buck rogers before it, a marketing tie in dream.

if youre gunna call me an idiot, please know what youre talking about, i thought you were into movies or something? ;)
"Look how happy he is"

Postby . » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:25 pm

That Flash Gordon story is one of the most widely spread falsehoods in movie history. Stop reading non truths on the internet and thinking your an expert about everything.

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:31 pm

I thought it was Dune that he wanted to get the rights for anyway? Which makes sense because A New Hope is blatantly Dunelite.

Postby . » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Ep 4 wears it's influences on its sleeve from the space opera feeling of DUNE and FLASH GORDON, the mythos of Kurosawa films like THE HIDDEN FORTRESS and the military procedures of THE DAM BUSTERS. But it's not a complete ripoff or remake of any of them. To reckon so is lazy thinking. People will now do anything to take STAR WARS away from Lucas.

Postby . » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:08 pm

twelve months ago my attitude to star wars was way below not giving a fuck. i really didn't care about ever seeing this movie but i got progressively more encouraged with each trailer for ep vii. when it finally came out, there were lots of measured responses from critics who i trust that, i wouldn't say lowered my expectations so much as tempered them, which allowed me to love it a LOT more than I was expecting to.

the weakest performances (and they're not even weak) are the returning characters, while all the new blood just own the shit out of this movie in every fucking way. fin was maybe a bit wobbly at times but only in his moments of comic relief. rey is incredible. like,how fucking bad-ass is this character? i loved how fin kept trying to save her and she was just like - "get fukd m9 i'll save you more like". and kylo ren! damn shane. you're so wrong on this one aye. just... adam fucking driver, man. i've watched and loved him in girls, but i would never have expected this note-perfect performance from him. he is definitely my favourite thing about this movie. there is a depth to his petulance that makes him so fully formed and scary. you don't hate him - you feel sorry for him. he is what anikan should have been in ep ii but, well... wasn't.

i've seen a lot of people say that this is more a remake of a new hope than it should be, and while i can definitely see the plot points that they're obviously referring to, i don't reckon it's a valid criticism. a valid observation for sure, but i don't think it is to the detriment of the movie. this movie is a very clever generational hand-over. it reboots star wars without rebooting the continuity, something usually synonymous with rebooting a franchise. i'm so pumped to be back in the mythos of this universe, which is something i never thought i would say.

with both these points in mind, i left the movie theatre buzzing as much in anticipation at what is next for the young blood as i was from the fun-as-shit film that i had just sat through.

it's not a perfect film, but neither were any of the ot. i think i like this better than iv and vi. i'm going to machete-order them over the holidays before making a final judgement on that, however, today, right now, it's my second favourite star wars movie. and i really did not expect that.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:55 am

Saw it today at the iMax in the science history museum, apparently it's one of the best cinemas to see it in 2D? I dunno, was big and stuff.

Movie was rad, agree with Al's review, I think the next one could be even better now that all the (re)introduction of characters are out of the way.

The kill off was a good move
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:19 pm

No way, his performance may have been good or even great. My criticism is clearly of the character itself, and the fact remains that between the hyper competence of the heroes, particularly Rey, and the weakness of all three villains there aren't any real stakes. I'd go further than saying you feel sorry for him: you pity him. What on earth is the point of chucking a huge Nazi rally onscreen and then having two pissbabies who answer to a shitty gollum knock off hosting it? Did you honestly ever feel any danger for the protagonists?

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:38 pm

How come they were both instant light sabre experts is what I was wondering. How the fuck either of those two could spar with Ren for more than half a second without getting their heads cut off is beyond me. Ren has been trained since he was a child right? Anybody got an explanation for that?

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:07 pm

The force, duh

(Was a bit silly)
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:09 am

Loved it. Only time will tell if it was any good (I also loved episode 1 when I was a kid, but hindsight has obviously changed that opinion).

The only thing I didn't like is:
So far the storyline is pretty much the same as the original trilogy. Person who is strong in the force is found, awkward father/son relationship, giant space station is destroyed, young Jedi seeks old Jedi on distant planet for jedi training
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

Postby . » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:19 pm

yossarian wrote:No way, his performance may have been good or even great. My criticism is clearly of the character itself, and the fact remains that between the hyper competence of the heroes, particularly Rey, and the weakness of all three villains there aren't any real stakes. I'd go further than saying you feel sorry for him: you pity him. What on earth is the point of chucking a huge Nazi rally onscreen and then having two pissbabies who answer to a shitty gollum knock off hosting it? Did you honestly ever feel any danger for the protagonists?

everything you criticise about the character of kylo ren is what makes him a great bad guy with actual depth. of course you pitty him. that's not really that much further than saying you feel sorry for him? in fact it's actually the same thing?

i don't even understand your point about the nazi rally?

re: danger for the protagonists - there's 2 sides to this. firstly, and most obviously, it's fucking star wars, dude, not citizen kane. i think 99% of people went into that movie knowing that the good guys were going to come out okay at the end of it. and secondly - yes, actually! heaps of times. because i was so involved by the story-telling, i wasn't stopping to remember the fact that i was watching a movie in order to think about how the characters weren't in any actual danger. that is literally what movies are about: suspending disbelief and enjoying a story. if you can't watch a movie that way any more i sort of feel sorry for you :P

that rey came to terms with the force so quickly is definitely a worthy criticism, can't argue with that. it was way too convenient. but fin wasn't overly competant at all - in fact he was a bumbling idiot throughout the whole thing, pretty much, which is where the comedy of the movie came from. and han and chewie i think have earned their competence, in my opinion :P

Postby . » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Martli wrote:The only thing I didn't like is:
So far the storyline is pretty much the same as the original trilogy. Person who is strong in the force is found, awkward father/son relationship, giant space station is destroyed, young Jedi seeks old Jedi on distant planet for jedi training

but like, that is pretty much the entire point of the franchise - that it is this grand multi-generational epic. re: space station being destroyed, while it's undeniably a deliberate throw-back to the ot, i don't think it was to the detriment of the movie. because it is the first movie in a new era for the franchise, i almost feel like they HAD to do something like that. it's a hand-over movie from old blood to new blood. if ep viii and ep ix are the same, i'll be the first to yawn and walk away from giving a fuck (again) but for what this episode is and stands for, i actually think it was a clever thing to do.

keep in mind, not only are we going to have a new episode every second year from now on - we're going to have spin-off movies in every other year! so in a lot of ways, for the kids (and let's not try and pretend that star wars was ever anything other than a kids movie - yes, even the ot) this is the first star wars film in what is about to become an ongoing franchise that makes the james bond and marvel movies look quaint.

so yeah - i totally hear the "it's too similar to the plot of the old movies" thing, i just don't think that that's a bad thing in this case, especially in the context of the bigger picture.

Postby . » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:How come they were both instant light sabre experts is what I was wondering. How the fuck either of those two could spar with Ren for more than half a second without getting their heads cut off is beyond me. Ren has been trained since he was a child right? Anybody got an explanation for that?

yeah for sure, this is a totally valid criticism and probably the weakest part of the movie for me. and it wasn't only the light sabre fight but also the way in which rey could just mind control the storm trooper so quickly. way too convenient.

pixar have a set of story-telling rules for their movies and #19 is: "Coincidences to get characters into trouble are fine; coincidences to get them out of trouble are cheating." i feel like these moments in star wars, while they don't literally break this rule, they break the intention of this rule, which is just as bad as.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:11 am

. wrote:
Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:How come they were both instant light sabre experts is what I was wondering. How the fuck either of those two could spar with Ren for more than half a second without getting their heads cut off is beyond me. Ren has been trained since he was a child right? Anybody got an explanation for that?

yeah for sure, this is a totally valid criticism and probably the weakest part of the movie for me. and it wasn't only the light sabre fight but also the way in which rey could just mind control the storm trooper so quickly. way too convenient.

pixar have a set of story-telling rules for their movies and #19 is: "Coincidences to get characters into trouble are fine; coincidences to get them out of trouble are cheating." i feel like these moments in star wars, while they don't literally break this rule, they break the intention of this rule, which is just as bad as.

My thoughts on any Star Wars movie is to enjoy them with out picking holes. They are full of them, which is a part of their charm.

I suspect though that Fin is influenced to and extent by the force. Maybe not to Jedi status though.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:36 am

i honestly am being put off seeing these movies out of fear of this pointless fucking convo
"Look how happy he is"

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:42 pm

9seconds wrote:i honestly am being put off seeing these movies out of fear of this pointless fucking convo

You could just not contribute

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Subcide wrote:
9seconds wrote:i honestly am being put off seeing these movies out of fear of this pointless fucking convo

You could just not contribute

The first rule of Kanja Club is do not talk about Kanja Club.

That a central character was a cross between ET and the Oracle came as a surprise.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Think back to the original trilogy, Luke trains with a laser shooting wiffle ball and piles up some rocks with Yoda. Not once does he actually practice duelling but he still manages to hold off Vader and eventually defeat him with fuck all actual experience.

Stuff about Rey below:
Rey is shown fairly early on smashing cunts with her staff so you know she has at least some combat experience and by the time she actually fights Kylo he's been injured a bunch. She spends most of the fight just fending him off rather than actually duelling.
I'm pretty confident Rey is gonna turn out to be Luke's kid.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

Postby . » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Rizzo wrote:
Rey is shown fairly early on smashing cunts with her staff so you know she has at least some combat experience and by the time she actually fights Kylo he's been injured a bunch. She spends most of the fight just fending him off rather than actually duelling.
I'm pretty confident Rey is gonna turn out to be Luke's kid.

is that last bit even up for discussion? it might not have been explicitly stated, but i thought it was said loud and clear visually that she definitely is. are there people who say that she's not?

Return to “Movies & TV”