NWA Film

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
the croc

NWA Film

Postby the croc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Dunno if there's another thread about this:

Rap supergroup N.W.A will become the latest hip-hop act to have its story told in a big-screen biopic. Straight Outta Compton will chart the group’s rise and fall, EW’s Entertainment Insider reports. The film has already recruited N.W.A’s Ice Cube and Dr. Dre as producers, as well as Tomica Wright, the widow of Eazy-E. Perhaps the act responsible for putting West Coast rap on the map, the quartet — which also included rapper MC Ren — was controversial for both its name, Niggaz With Attitude, and its hit “Fuck Tha Police.”

The self-proclaimed “World’s Most Dangerous Group” and Rolling Stone’s Number 83 on our list of Immortals released three albums, most notably 1988’s Straight Outta Compton. Ice Cube left the group over a royalty fight in 1989, and the outfit ultimately broke up for good in 1991. Ice Cube and N.W.A were involved in a rap feud around the time of Cube’s solo Amerikkk’s Most Wanted, then Dre and Eazy-E famously feuded, as evidenced by The Chronic hit “Dre Day.” In their heyday, the group also faced off against family groups that criticized their lyrical content. There’s so much more, but we don’t want to ruin the movie for you.

Following the release of the B.I.G. film Notorious, hip-hop biopics have suddenly become a hot commodity in Hollywood. The trend started with Eminem’s 8 Mile and 50 Cent’s Get Rich or Die Trying, and since then a film is being scripted about Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees Run-DMC, a planned Tupac Shakur film is being held up due to legal problems and now we have this N.W.A film in the works. No director has been announced for the N.W.A project yet, but producers are reportedly seeking a helmer on par with 8 Mile’s Curtis Hanson.

Fuck yeah
Last edited by the croc on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Hamtown Dave

Re: NWA Film

Postby Hamtown Dave » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Fuck yeah.

Eazy E founded their original record company with drug money. :)
ONE MAN CREW

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:53 pm

8 mile, lame, get rich, lame, notorious, fucking awesome

this will be lame most likely

the croc

Postby the croc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:00 pm

TBH I thought Notorious was pretty shit, and I was amped for it.

Enjoyed 8 Mile way more when it came out, but that may have had more to do with my age at the time. Haven't seen it in years.

Ret-

Postby Ret- » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Hope this turns out legit as.

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Just signed in to say Notorious is a fucking woeful movie. What could have been an awesome american gangster film about two of the most interesting rappers out there turns out to be a hamfisted melodramatic slice of shit making biggie look like a hard done by big ol' softie who woildn't hurt a fly.

i have no doubt this film will be of the same caliber.

the croc

Postby the croc » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:07 pm

Akuma wrote:Just signed in to say Notorious is a fucking woeful movie. What could have been an awesome american gangster film about two of the most interesting rappers out there turns out to be a hamfisted melodramatic slice of shit making biggie look like a hard done by big ol' softie who woildn't hurt a fly.

Exactly

Akuma wrote:i have no doubt this film will be of the same caliber.

After being forced to watch Are We There Yet? and Are We Done Yet? last week and seeing Friday After Next a while a go I have very little faith in any movies Ice Cube has a hand in.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:17 pm

Saw this on news years eve while consuming 1/2 ltr of JD. What I remember of it was it was good. Need to rewatch though.
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

Drax

Postby Drax » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:32 pm

Haven't watched but based on what I know and seeing the trailer it looked like another Notorious. CBF watching another music docu-drama portaying dudes as a bunch of saints.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 pm

Drax wrote:Haven't watched but based on what I know and seeing the trailer it looked like another Notorious. CBF watching another music docu-drama portaying dudes as a bunch of saints.

I didn't get that from this
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:06 am

nah thats totally what it was, if you know anything about dre and cube its clear they put a lot of effort into making themselves look exactly how they want to be seen.
they let easy e look like a loose unit, with a sympathetic side, and thats about it, they totally pawned off the responsibility for bad blood and bad business decisions on him.
they left out ALL of the fuckwittery those two are famous for, dres missus wasnt even a character.

overall it was an average movie, i watched a cam rip like 3 months ago, couldnt hear the music at all which was a bit shit, but its not like its not all tattooed into my skull since i didnt listen to fuck all else when i was 13, i dont rate it highly, but its not hideously bad either, entertaining, especially for a band biopic, but about as historically accurate as game of thrones.
"Look how happy he is"

Return to “Movies & TV”