The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
cheese

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Postby cheese » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:01 pm

hahah okay i'll admit hes pretty fucking funny right there :D
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:23 pm

Hoping Marquardt wins to kill the Story hype... I'm still bitter about Thiago losing to him :lol:

Barry by DQ after 3 unanswered nut shots
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

The Face

Postby The Face » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:32 am

Yeah same dude, no doubt he executed a great gameplan against a talented striker in Thiago - but hot damn that fight was a snoozer. It's not often I'd back Marquardt either.

As for Kongo:

I'd love to see Barry win this fight, he's an awesome kickboxer with disgusting power in his kicks - I fear for his cardio and lack of wrestling / grappling base though. Seems a chill as dude. I'd imagine Kongo's going to Wrestlefuck him.

deh

Postby deh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:01 pm

Really depends what Barry turns up, but i doubt Kongo will be able to out wrestle him since his wrestling is probably worst.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:35 pm

I think Barry is still training with Death Clutch, so hopefully he has learned how to defend a takedown.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:37 am

Holy shit! Marquardt failed is medical so has been replaced by Charlie Brenneman. The interesting part is not only is Marquardt off the card, but he's been cut by the UFC.

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Yeah, weird. Either he was on PED's or he was so far behind on the cut for this fight that Dana called him off. Either way he must have fucked up REAL bad to not only get disciplined, but fired. Dana seems fucking pissed!

Also Adam, I heard you were KO'd by Adam Wellington last night? Hard times bro.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Apparently so. Though I don't believe I was ever out and the guys corner told me I wasn't as well.

I guess I'm truly entitled to complain about early stoppages now after being on the receiving end of one :lol:

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Stink, was just reading the play by play on the NZMMA facebook page last night. Tough call.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:44 pm

oh yeah.. Nyra does some good updates. There was heaps of confusion when the fight was stopped, the officials discussed it for a while outside of the cage.

I'm a bit gutted about the result but a few people have told me that's the best I've fought and was on the way to taking the decision so not that disappointed.

I'll try not to get DDTd next time though.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:41 am

Barry vs Kongo... whoa!

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:05 am

Gnarliest comeback I think I've ever seen?

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 am

Holy crap that was epic... so good to see some mean finishes! I liked that crazy sub the most I think! And the nice clean KO by Mitrione was beautiful, liked how he just stood back and let the work speak for itself afterwards ha ha, what a legend.

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:51 am

Yeah Joe Lauzon's Kimura / Triangle was sick.

26 fights, 20 wins, 6 losses. Of his 20 wins, he's NEVER gone to decisions, with 4 (T)KO's and 16 Subs. A lot of people could learn a lot from Joe!

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 am

Also apparently Marquardt is going to make an announcement tomorrow. Lots of speculation about that the issue is, but issues with the weight cut and PEDs have both been ruled out. I'm really curious.

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 am

Yeah, Weight cut doesn't seem to have been an issue, PED's can't be (Chael Sonnen, Thiago Silva ring a bell?) - I'm leaning towards either hard drugs (Coke or H) in his tests or trying to cover up an infectious blood disease like HEP C or something.

I won't really miss Marquardt, but still intrigued why he's gone.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Do they normally do drug tests the week of the fight though? I thought they only took a piss test the day of the fight. Pretty sure I read the commission has said it wasn't done for drugs, I'd assume that includes recreational drugs too.

The fact that they can't legally talk about it implies to me that it's medical. Also if it was Hep C would he actually be given 6 weeks to get a clearance and only be suspended? Wouldn't he be told he can't fight anymore?

I'm also not particularly gutted he's gone but I really wanna know why Dana is so pissed. I'm leaning toward something like a staph infection, something he's known about for ages but tried to fight anyway. It would make sense why Dana was disgusted, staph is communicable and also pretty nasty.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Supposedly from an unnamed training partner on the underground forum..

Nate held back medical info about an ongoing personal problem/disease. Nate contracted Hep B. Nobody knows how he got it but, he has Hep B and Hep B is not forever, it can be shaken off in time but, everyone is different and heals at a different rate "Look up HEP B for those of you who don’t know what it is or for those of you whom may think it’s forever". He was supposed to be evaluated by the commission’s Dr’s and he was dodging them until the last minute because he’s embarrassed about his disease. Yes it was wrong but, we all thought he had shaken it. Since he decided to wait till the last minute to get cleared by the Dr’s and was dodging phone calls all the way up to 5 hours before the event is why Dana White is pissed. We hope Dana takes a second look at this and we will continue to have Nate’s back through this tuff situation. Stay tuned tomorrow afternoon to a more in depth response from Nate himself… Sorry guys and thanks. Nate is going nowhere but to the top of the MMA world….

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Decent, I was only 1 letter of the alphabet out.

That's pretty unprofessional, hope he stays fired.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:10 pm

That is fucking crazy, he shouldn't be allowed back. The importance of bloods eh...

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 am

Sounds as though the 'unnamed training partner' is a random who was full of shit.

Nate has come out and said it was due to mismanagement of lower levels of testosterone, he had it bumped up and ended up with higher than allowed levels. Something seems to be missing though, that doesn't sound the whole truth.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 am

Yeah probably someone just trolling.

From what I read he started taking shots rather than pills and it fucked with his test levels, seems pretty irresponsible for him to not be monitoring his levels heading into a fight where it's obvious it could be an issue.

Seems pretty over the top that he's been cut for something Sonnen hasn't been cut for. I guess Sonnen still managed to fight in the main event and also fought a decent fight. Bit hypocritical though.

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:04 am

jesus christ how gutted must Pat Barry feel after that... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!!

The Face

Postby The Face » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:58 am

132 This weekend - (Same day as klitschko v hayes)

Urijah Faber vs Dominic Cruz

Wanderlei Silva vs Chris Leben - Probably not an intelligent pick, but I'm faithful to Wandy. Someone is definitely getting punched in the face till they fall over in this fight.

Tito Ortiz vs Ryan Bader

Carlos Condit vs Stungun Kim

Dennis Siver vs Matt Wiman

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Faber
Silva
Ortiz
Condit
Siver

What is it with comeback knockouts in the last few events? Before Kongo there was Dave 'Peewee' Herman's KO against Einemo. That was fucking great. I think Silva is gonna top them all with a big left as he's heading for his own TKO. Joe Rogan will be screaming 'LEBEN IS A..." but will be cut off midsentence.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Are you seriously picking Tito Ortiz to win? I'm looking forward to hearing his excuse this time.

The Face

Postby The Face » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Dunno why, but I kinda want Tito to win and stick around, I used to hate him.

He's likely to be cut if he loses this fight.

Also, I dunno if you guys use twitter, but Rampage and Rashad are constantly hating on each other. My favourite calls this week:

Rashad "You remember that time Wandy made you do the Weekend at Bernies thru the ropes?"
Rampage "Yeah but I beat the guy who taught you how to do the Stankyleg"

haha

cheese

Postby cheese » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:13 pm

same picks as the face
cant see tito beating bader, ever.
Bader did get manhandled by jon jones but I believe jonnys on a different level to everyone.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Bader all the fucking way. Hes going to back off Tito when he shoots then fucking ROCK him. (fuck Tito)

Fucking LOL @ those twitter calls, I may have to make an account..

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Ok well I was made to eat my words. Did not see Ortiz having a chance in that fight but he surprised me.

Return to “Movies & TV”