The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
MuscleMan
smut peddler

Re: MMA THREAD (UFC/WEC/STRIKEFORCE/DREAM ETC ETC)

Postby MuscleMan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 pm

The Face wrote:Yeah, Mir v Carwin for Interim title, and if the winner of that is injured, the #1 contender is likely to be the winner of Nogueira vs Valesquez at 110 (which will be a doozy). Winner faces Brock upon his return.

Carwin's fights are so boring, do not want. Would be cool to see Mir vs Nogueira again, with less stand up fighting and more gropey business.

The Face

Postby The Face » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Mir WILL take Carwin - new era Mir is looking scary.

Mir vs Lesnar III is looking very likely.

The Mir vs Nog fight was pretty upsetting as nog was sick as fuck and got wrecked.

Would like to see a rematch without the staph infection.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Vitor Belfort has pulled out of UFC 112 with a shoulder injury which is lame as cause I was real keen to see that fight.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

The Face

Postby The Face » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Yeah that sucks, would have been Silva's toughest challenge in a while.

Have to wonder whether they give the shot to Shonnen (who earned it at 109) or Silva fights another LHW fight instead?

Or he doesn't fight at 112 at all :(

deh

Postby deh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:07 pm

hes fighting Damien Maia which is complete bullshit, as Nate Marquadt KO'd his ass 2 fights ago. If Dan Henderson was still in the UFC he defenately would of had that title shot, and it would of been a great fight.. oh wells.. Looks like another 20sec KO defeat for Maia.

110 is gonna be amazing, finally a solid card with no injury worries.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:49 pm

deh wrote:110 is gonna be amazing, finally a solid card with no injury worries.

Hard.
Oi Steve when you were wrestling here did you cross paths with a big indian fella called Avi, couple years older than me?
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:15 pm

deh wrote:hes fighting Damien Maia which is complete bullshit, as Nate Marquadt KO'd his ass 2 fights ago. If Dan Henderson was still in the UFC he defenately would of had that title shot, and it would of been a great fight.. oh wells.. Looks like another 20sec KO defeat for Maia.

110 is gonna be amazing, finally a solid card with no injury worries.

It's not really bullshit - number one contender was Shonnen - who the UFC deemed too bashed up after his fight with marquardt to go at Silva. Maia was a sub victory over Shonnen, so if you've beaten the #1 contender and he steps down, good on ya.

Sure, Maia got shitcanned by Marquardt, but Marquardt just lost so tough.

110 is going to be a rager!

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Silva vs Maia... Maia is doomed on his feet, has a legit chance on the ground assuming Silva doesnt turn his face into chickenshit on the way down.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:48 pm

UFC 110 Picks!
(I've stuck to the main card but feel free to speculate about the openers too)

Nogueira vs Velasquez
I really like big Nog as a fighter, and would be stoked if he takes out velasquez - but I suspect he'll be too strong.

W Silva vs Bisping
Hoping for a return to form from the axe murderer here

Stevens vs Sotiropoulos
Don't really care, just don't dig Stevens

Jardine vs Bader
No care ever for Jardine

CroCop vs Rothwell
Same deal as the Silva fight, not the most confident of this one, but would love to see old mate kicking heads again!

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Picks for Sunday:

Nog vs Velasquez.
I pick that Cain will walk out to some mariachi music. Wish you could put money on that.
I also reckon Nog will win, but it'll be hard. Cain can't really do anything except push for a takedown then pound it out but he's very good at that. I'll be hoping for Nog to catch him in a slick submisson a la his fight with Tim Sylvia, most likely after absorbing a huge amount of damage, a la most fights he's been in.

Wand vs Bisping.
I'm picking it now. Bisping will take this out. Come and give me shit when I'm wrong, I though he'd beat Hendo too and look what happened there. But I reckon Bisping has this one. He's been in Sydney for a week already and Wand is still in Vegas. I reckon the travel will mess with Wand and he will lose a decision. I'm not sure if Bisping is capable of a legit knockout but Rampage would've given him a few tips.

Cro Cop v Rothwell.
This is a tough one to pick. Rothwell is as good a fighter as any massive angry dude who trains but doesn't have much skill. Cro Cop should win, except he's washed up, big time, and I'm not sure he could beat anybody who's not Jose Canseco. I don't want to pick this fight but if I had to I'd say Cro Cop by questionable stoppage.

Stevenson vs George 'Guido Hatzis' Sotoropolous
I really like George and he has been super impressive in all his UFC fights. That said, he's cutting weight to fight at LW (I think) and that combined with Joe Daddy's 50 or so fight experience mean a not so nice homecoming for George. Stevenson by decision, but I really hope not.

Jardine vs Bader.
If Jardine is an underdog in the odds for this I will seriously consider my first MMA monetary bet. He is a really good fighter who has only lost to really quality opposition and I believe he will toss Bader's salad.

There's also a Kiwi, James Te Huna, fighting on the undercard. Hope we get to see him. I don't know anything about him but sure hope he wins.

I would also like to put money on me and Face being at 4 Kings drinking from a grossly oversized jug on Sunday.

deh

Postby deh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Nog vs Velasquez:
Big Nog- big nogs stand up is looking sharper and sharper, he might not have one ko punch power, but he has the combinations to rattle valesquez a bit. valesquez has pretty slick take downs, but im guessing he'll want to stay away from that since nog has the best guard in the division. hoping for a slick submission or a tko by gnp.

Wand vs Bisping:
Wanderlei, cant really stand Bisping and his standup isnt as good as he thinks it is. He may catch wanderlei a couple of times but im sure wanderlei will take this via rape choke gnp.

Crocop vs Rothwell:
Like everyone we all hope for Crocop to get some of his old form and rythym back, but i think hes done. Rothwell via TKO

Stevenson vs Sotoropolous:
Should be a tough fight, storopolous has been working alot on his stand up, so im guessing he wont mind standing toe to toe with Joe. But expecting Joe to take the rounds away from him via the takedowns. Dont want stevenson to win but he probably will walk away with the decision.

Jardine vs Bader:
Jardine should really have this, Bader has never looked impressive but Jardines experiance should really take him out of this + his goblin like standup isnt bad at all. Jardine by TKO.

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Big Nog (W) vs Cain - I'm gona say TKO

Bisping vs Silva (w) - Bisping gets a hard time because of his up him self attitude but i think he may have had some humbleness beat into him by Henderson. Even though i think Silva might school him in some stand up then finish him with some ground n pound.

Crocop VS Rothwell - If Crocop can find his old form he would destroy Rothwell however i feel he maybe a bit over the hill. This is definately his last chance to stay in the UFC so here's hoping for a huge head kick.

Stevenson vs Sotoropolous - Don't really like either of these dudes. Stevenson's style is pretty boring so would prefer to see Sotoropolous take it by some kind of choke.

Jardine (w) vs Bader - i very much enjoy watching Jardine stumbing around the ring like an oversized Gollum so would hope he would win to keep his place in the UFC.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm picking..

Big Nog
Silva.. I hope so anyway, I'd say one more lost and he's looking at being cut.
Crocop (fingers crossed for a LHK)
Stevenson
Bader

I'm not overly confident with any of my picks though. If I were to throw down money confidently I would chuck it on UFC 111.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't reckon they will or would Cut Wanderlei - he's too popular.

No doubt he's a shell of his former self, but still..

Cro-Cop on the other hand, this is do or die shit. Maybe Jardine too.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeah I thought that after I posted it.. I'm sure Strikeforce would love to have him. Dropping 6 out of 7 fights is not a good look though.

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIBF1cxEp8w

Video of Jamie Te Huna. I particularly like the part where he pops his shoulder out during a fight then has his brother pop it back in and continues fighting. I've got high hopes for the first Kiwi in the UFC to win.

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:48 pm

^^ I think James Te Huna trains with Mark Hunt in Perth, would be fucken cool to have a New Zealander do well in the UFC

The people I'd like to win.. (not so convinced they will though ha ha)

Velasquez
Silva
Crocop
Stevenson
Jardine

deh

Postby deh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:06 pm

So keen on this, it's free to air in Australia starting @ 11am - showing all prelims then main card starting up at 2pm. Was gutted to miss out on tickets but this coverage is awesome. Really hoping all the local boys do well.. especially Te Huna. Glad that the UFC allowed Elvis to fight at home.

deh

Postby deh » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:12 pm

id also hate for the ufc to cut jardine - he's always fought good fighters and always makes for an entertaining fight. On the other hand Bonnar is long over due for a win and is still only in the UFC purely because of TUF 1 Finale. Like face said theres no way they'll get rid of someone who can still sell out shows as a main event like Wanderlei. Crocop however has had so many chances and really has to destroy Rothwell otherwise he's gone for sure.

RIP Bisping

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:40 am

I'm gutted the Aussie's get all the prelims too. Anyone know an internet site to stream Aussie TV for free?

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:10 pm

2 hours out from a spectacular card!!

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:16 pm

100% with my main card picks - first time in a while.

Shame to see Big Nog get fucking wrecked like that...

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:27 am

Face = 5/5 - That was impressive.

Full credit to Cain for a great win. He's got that crazy in him which could help him take out someone like Brock. Dana said Cain will get his shot if the winner of Mir v Carwin is not healthy afterwards so here's hoping they mess each other up.

cheese

Postby cheese » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Sebaz wrote:I'm gutted the Aussie's get all the prelims too. Anyone know an internet site to stream Aussie TV for free?

Only the main prelims unfortunately, Really wanted to see Te Hunas fight but noooo bottom of the card. Still though, UFC free to air in HD can't complain

Biggest arena audience for UFC and 2nd fastest selling so they are looking to make it an annual event here. :D Melbs might be next.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:33 pm

If thats the case Im defs popping over to watch people get bashed and shit in Jimmy's dunny.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Ouch...

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:42 pm

I would definitely consider heading over to Melbourne if they had a fight over there.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 pm

same.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Oh man just watching this now, I feel bad for Perosh... "I don't think Ive ever seen a hammer fist to the thigh...."

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 pm

He got fucking smashed, poor bastard.

Taking Cro-cop on 2 days notice will do that to ya.

Return to “Movies & TV”