The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
MuscleMan
smut peddler

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Postby MuscleMan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:50 am

So many yanks saying shields is going to out wrestle GSP and submit him off of his back. Hope GSP breaks his eye sockets.

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:10 am

He probebly will. It is GSP.
JeffJack is Christian

ragequit

Postby ragequit » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:45 pm

GSP
Aldo
Machida
Rory Mac!
& Rogan will have a beard.

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun May 01, 2011 8:49 am

UFC is showing ALL the prelims for this card on their Facebook - from 10am I believe. Get on it!

cheese

Postby cheese » Sun May 01, 2011 1:58 pm

and shit! what a bunch of great prelim fights they were although I did miss the spinning back fist KO of Makdessi.
Rory Macdonald v Nate Diaz wowwww. Good to see that arrogant prick get knocked down a couple of pegs.

I gotta say the facebook streams have been really good to me, full screen full broadcast quality with no glitching.

Told my dad in NZ to watch the live prelims on maineven or whatever it is. He reckons its all crap, same as that fake wrestling blah blah...probably just trying to wind me up.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun May 01, 2011 5:14 pm

Wow, top to bottom one of the best fight cards in recent memory. Undercard was incredible!

I ended up 3-2 on my main card picks.

Sad to see Randy go out on a hiding, but that kick was phenomenal. Steven Seagal for real!

JJ 2011

Postby JJ 2011 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:04 pm

^ Thats awesome! Just like black mans "walk forward/push kick KO".
No longer Eddy the Dwarf, but Eddy the Coward - he mentions kids on punkas as some sort of trump card.

Fucken coward, has no shame.

PunkinDrublic wrote:Small Room with mazaire bed
$50 a week + monthly bills

Pref Male
Pref Vege.
Must like cats and narcotics.
Shit cunts need not apply.
Churr

ghetto ninja wrote:The Grove is full of fuckin awesome cunts currently. I would highly recommend moving in.

PunkinDrublic wrote:I would highly recommend Eddie moves back in.
But he's a family man now so the rest of you are in luck.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=24&p=1185281

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon May 02, 2011 9:12 am

The one Anderson Silva did on Vitor Belfort?

If so, they've both credited Steven Seagal with teaching them those kicks, for real.

ragequit

Postby ragequit » Mon May 02, 2011 9:57 am

ragequit wrote:GSP
Aldo
Machida
Rory Mac!
& Rogan will have a beard.

5/5 :lol:
GSP was bad, not happy.
This Seagall business is getting pretty weird, who's next, if anyone?
Last edited by ragequit on Mon May 02, 2011 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon May 02, 2011 10:02 am

While I don't think GSP set the world on fire with his performance, Shields didn't have anything. He couldn't get him to the ground at all, and was never going to finish him standing. Granted, he busted GSP's nose and eye in the second round.

Got really frustrated with GSP's looping overhand right, wasn't the way to go about finishing shields.

ragequit

Postby ragequit » Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 am

Yeah, I agree - it's not required of him to do anything more than he needs to win. I would've liked a bit more than that though :P. Seems to me like he would've had a much easier time with Shields if he loosened up more, though I guess he was scared of the takedown to some degree. I'm no boxer but that overhand looked terrible.

Still on the bandwagon, for now - maybe he should meet up with Mr Seagall before his next fight.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon May 02, 2011 10:37 am

I think GSP has been listening to his critics too much because he was definitely trying to force a finish. He was probably a bit panicked by being blinded in one eye too.. I know I would be.

Shields asking if he should pull guard was a wtf moment. I took that as him basically admitting defeat.

Gotta love when the camera is in GSP's corner. Greg Jackson is easily the best corner man in MMA, just the way he talks to his guys in between rounds. He's so calm and collected. The way he managed to get GSP to focus on the fight and try and forget about his eye was awesome.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

cheese

Postby cheese » Mon May 02, 2011 12:55 pm

yeh best card in a long time. I think all the prelims got a broadcast on the tele which they deserved.
Im not sure if its GSP listeing to his critics or himself. He was disappointed with the Coscheck fight in the same way, doing damage but no finish. Biggest UFC event ever, I don't doubt that he wanted to finish it with something special.

nails

Postby nails » Mon May 02, 2011 1:10 pm

I thought Shields asking if he should pull guard was more of a "should i try take it to the ground?" kind of thing because he was getting toasted on his feet

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon May 02, 2011 1:13 pm

I didn't think the Shields asking to pull guard thing was too desperate - obviously he planned to get the fight to the ground and play to his strengths, but his takedown shots were laughable and everytime he'd try to clinch, where he could pull guard from, GSP would shove him away.

cheese

Postby cheese » Mon May 02, 2011 2:14 pm

was hard to tell if Shields wasn't really trying in the clinch or if GSP was just so much stronger.

Still though how good was hominick lookin

nails

Postby nails » Mon May 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I wish I could prod the lump

your fucking funeral

Postby your fucking funeral » Wed May 04, 2011 10:32 pm

bump it up
Fuck i was just waiting for his lump to explode at any moment
chelovek cheloveky volk

ruff

Postby ruff » Thu May 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Bas Rutten wrote:They asked me if GSP lacked killer instinct. You have to understand, for "outside" people its maybe harder to understand, let me try.

For sure he plays it safe, this happens most of the time when something bad happened the last time he DIDN'T play it safe. For instance, did he had the killer instinct before he fought Matt Serra? Because if got reckless in that fight, it cost him his fight, from that moment on, you kind of make a decision as a fighter, do I wanna fight like that again? The answer will be NO. So then fighters start to fight more conservative. Now, if that particular fighter had a killer instinct before, it will most of the time come back after a couple of wins.

If you look at GSP's record, then you will see that he has 9 victories coming by way of decision. 6 of those were after he lost by KO to Matt Serra, 6 decisions, in 9 fights. One was a TKO over BJ (not a slug fest) and a KO to Serra by way of knee to the body, also, not a slug fest. One was an arm bar that he put on Matt Hughes.

In the 13 fights he had before he fought Matt Serra, he lost only one (Hughes, and he revenged that) so 12 wins. From those 12 wins only 3 went a decision, the rest were KO's and submissions. So the Matt Serra fight definitely had impact on him, then again, his competition started to get better as well.

There are different kind of fighters, take a guy like Chuck Liddell, he can't turn his killer instinct off, he simply can't, if he could at certain moments, I would still put my money on Chuck. But Chuck is not "wired" like that, he loves to go for the KO, and if that means that he can be KO'd in that process, so be it. And even after he lost 5 of his 6 last fights, and 4 of them by KO, Chuck didn't lose a single fan, why? Because people love fighters like him, finishers, guys who "look for the KO".

Other fighters fight more preserved, a counter fighter, they have a few offensive attacks, attacks they will learn before the fight and change each fight, but mostly fight on the mistakes that the opponent makes, capitalize on that mistake, and finish the opponent. GSP is a fighter like that.
If there comes an opportunity, he will take it and win a fight. But when he fights a guy who also fights reserved and is a counter fighter (50% of Shields wins are by decision) then you have a match that we saw last weekend, not an exciting one. If that fight comes after a night of super fights, and that's what happened, then it's even worse for the fans, because the "Bar" was set high! Ad to this, that he was fighting in his home town in front of 55,000 people, that will put a lot of pressure on him, pressure in a way that, whatever it takes, he doesn't want to lose in front of that audience!
Of course he had a problem as well with his eye, but i could see that he was already "off", BEFORE that happened, he was simply not feeling good in his skin, you could tell. Big sluggish right hand, and a back kick that was off, he had an "off night"! It's very easy to understand, only not for the fans, because they have been spoiled lately with great fights.

I KNOW that everybody was screaming at the TV when he kicked Shields in the head, "Follow it up!!!!!!!", that was what happened in our place. But all these factors that I just mentioned were in place, so he didn't follow up.

That's why people are talking about Nick Diaz against GSP, because Nick will bring it, that's for sure, so GSP will have more moments where his opponent makes mistakes, and if he uses those moments, then we could have a great fight. Other people will say that he will fight even more reserved because then he will be worried that when he moves, he's gonna get caught.

Whatever happens, GSP will have even more pressure on him the next time he fights because now people want to see him "stopping his opponent", and that pressure is not gonna work in favor for George.
So, if everybody could chill a little bit, and stay of the message boards with "advice for GSP" coming from fans, who many of them, not even train, I say, give the guy some love, I am sure that will ALWAYS be better, then what happens right now. And don't worry, he knows exactly what happened and went wrong.

Also understand that he fights the very top people in the world!

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu May 05, 2011 6:51 pm

<3 Bas.
EL WHOPPO!!!
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

cheese

Postby cheese » Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 pm

i didn't have a problem with the way GSP fought. Hes a smart patient fighter. Also, fighting out of 1 eye for 3 rounds, you wanna be sure of what you're doing. Hes the champ, give him a break. The fight itself lacked fireworks but I wouldn't call it a boring battle.

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Mon May 09, 2011 9:52 pm

Compared to the jose aldo fight it was pretty boring.
JeffJack is Christian

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue May 10, 2011 8:49 am

The 130 main event has been cancelled cause Maynard and Edgar are both injured. Kinda gutted about that, the last fight was so good I was hoping for another decent scrap.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

cheese

Postby cheese » Tue May 10, 2011 11:32 am

BloodFuck wrote:Compared to the jose aldo fight it was pretty boring.

any fight compared to a Jose Aldo fight is boring.

cheese

Postby cheese » Tue May 10, 2011 11:45 am

Adam The Muss wrote:The 130 main event has been cancelled cause Maynard and Edgar are both injured. Kinda gutted about that, the last fight was so good I was hoping for another decent scrap.

Takes a lot of punch out of the card. Oh well fingers crossed that that moron rampage gets knocked out. After his school kid twitter bitching at kenny florian, thats all he deserves.

My early picks
Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Matt Hamill
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson
Middleweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Jorge Santiago
Welterweight bout: Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Travis Browne

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue May 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Yeah, that really sucks about Edgar and Maynard. Was really looking forward to that fight, after expecting a snoozer out of their last fight, it was one of the most entertaining back and forth fights in a long time!

On the plus side, Zuffa has announced they've taken out Income Insurance on all their fighters, which is a very positive benefit to the fighters. It'll mean more guys will take time out due to injuries sure, but you won't end up with people being forced to fight through injury to pay the bills.

As for the rest of 130...

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue May 10, 2011 12:54 pm

That's really good news for the fighters. I know it's been talked about for a while. For all the shit Zuffa gets they definitely deserve credits when it's due.

I'm glad the Alves fight has been promoted to the main card. Alves is easily my favourite fighter and I was pretty disappointed to see he was gonna be on the undercard.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue May 10, 2011 12:55 pm

PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Tue May 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Haha so true.. fuck there are some horrid designs out there.

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue May 10, 2011 1:19 pm

That's a pretty fair pisstake - MMA shirts are the worst.

Only think that confused me was that Phillipe Nover is an actual fighter and the paragraph photo was some random brah.

Return to “Movies & TV”