The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
deh

Re: MMA THREAD (UFC/WEC/STRIKEFORCE/DREAM ETC ETC)

Postby deh » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:38 am

haha aoki's after match celebration was the lolz. overeems ko over fujita was pretty brutal.

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:15 pm

Gronk wrote:Back to training this week - should be pretty hard after 2 weeks of boozing and eating crap.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm

The Face wrote:
Gronk wrote:Back to training this week - should be pretty hard after 2 weeks of boozing and eating crap.

This ^

I went back to boxing last night, so fucking sore.... luckily I kept running over summer so not too unfit, but not looking forward to the round after round of grappling our trainer has promised us upon returning to muay thai.....
Last edited by Any Day Now on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Managed to go from 78kg to 84kg over Christmas/New Years via food and drinking, first training back I got to roll with a BJJ black belt which felt like fighting an anoconda. MMA sparring tomorow morning, oh yeah! Hopefully won't get through too much bourbon tonight ;)

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:46 pm

garyasfulla wrote:I got to roll with a BJJ black belt which felt like fighting an anoconda.

:lol:
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Heres a good Cung Le San Shou demo which shows what I meant about san shou tactics. I lost count how many times the other dude got thrown or suplexed.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r55mxK2xKc[/video]
fagets, right.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:42 pm

8O

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:26 pm

ghetto ninja wrote:Heres a good Cung Le San Shou demo which shows what I meant about san shou tactics. I lost count how many times the other dude got thrown or suplexed.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r55mxK2xKc[/video]

Even though Im from a wrestling background I just dont understand how he doesnt have the presence to avoid such open grapples. The chump has no idea how to move his body weight to counter such a low throw.

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Definately looks too organised. I would say that is an exhibition match rather than a fight.
Not sayin those moves wouldn't work. More that an experienced mma fighter would see that shit coming.

Sorry, just read the word "Demo" which explains. Still shows some good moves tho.

Hey "Steve f" did you do wrestling at school? I'm very interested to learn some wrestling techniques!

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Like I said its a "demo" the other guy is one of his training partners and you'll notice there was no reff. It was purely to demonstrate the sanshou throws and takedowns.
fagets, right.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Anyone know some weight cutting techniques?

Just found out I need to cut 6kg for my fight at the end of Feb :?
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:07 am

I hear Steve F just cut 6kgs, im not sure if you'd want to use his method though :lol:

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:49 am

Adam The Muss wrote:Anyone know some weight cutting techniques?

Just found out I need to cut 6kg for my fight at the end of Feb :?

Worse case scenario sweat it out 3-4 days before, you'll feel fucked for your fight but you'll get below the weight ha ha

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:18 am

Worst case I start smoking a shit load of crack.

It's so shit.. I spent a year trying to put on 10kg and now I need to lose it all again.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Gronk wrote:Definately looks too organised. I would say that is an exhibition match rather than a fight.
Not sayin those moves wouldn't work. More that an experienced mma fighter would see that shit coming.

Sorry, just read the word "Demo" which explains. Still shows some good moves tho.

Hey "Steve f" did you do wrestling at school? I'm very interested to learn some wrestling techniques!

Yeah competed from 13-22. Went to oceanias 5 times, I know a trick or two :)

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:51 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgjkIlTYU6w[/youtube]

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Thats no way to win. Hope he gets broken in half in the near future.

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:11 am

I am in Vegas just a few days before 109 - wish I had realised this before I sorted my trip would of loved to have gone.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Anyone trained in Thailand before? I'm looking at heading there in July.. not really sure which camp to train at, leaning towards Tiger Muay Thai in Phuket.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 am

I'm heading there in April. Trying to get into the Faritex gym at Pattaya where Yudsenklai trains ha ha, but haven't heard back from em yet. Otherwise hitting Horizon Muay Thai in Koh Phangan .

I've got friends who've trained at Tiger, and they said it was great.

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:23 am

Watched UFC 109 last night.

Some very even fights.

Good ones to watch are:

Dan Miller Vs Damien Mia
Paulo Thiago vs Mike Swick
Chael Sonnen Vs Nate Marquardt

Sad to watch

Randy Couture Vs Mark Coleman - very hard to watch someone who use to dominate in MMA, bumbling around and gettin beat up. Definately showing his age. Should of quit a long time ago.

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:58 am

Yeah - 109 was interesting.

Picked all of the main card fights apart from Sonnen vs Marquardt - didn't really see that coming.

What I found interesting was that most of the fights went the way I expected them to go - but not HOW they were going to go - ie Maia not finishing the fight, Serra winning by KO, Thiago destroying Swick.

Felt bad for Coleman, he looked rubbish, as soon as he went for that first jab and dropped his other hand I knew he was going to get outclassed.

The last few UFC PPV's have been good for solidifying the contenders in each weight class, keen for some high profile title fights now - Silva vs Belfort, Shogun vs Machida (2), GSP vs Hardy and the eventual HW unification now that Brock is healthy again - may well see Mir vs Lesnar 3...

110, 111 and 112 all look awesome thus far!

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 pm

GSP vs Hardy will be awesome, they are both so fucking fast the fights are so entertaining.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 pm

I couldn't believe how much Sonnen controller Marquardt on the ground, considering Marquardt is a BJJ black belt.

Coleman's game plan seemed messed up. He let Randy control him up against the cage and work some dirty boxing. I reckon he should've shot for a takedown. Randy just out classed him though. The dude amazes me, it's intense for a guy his age to still be dominating in the cage.

Definitely a few good cards coming up, I'm really keen for the WEC PPV in April.

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:29 pm

steve f wrote:GSP vs Hardy will be awesome, they are both so fucking fast the fights are so entertaining.

Hardy is going to get fucking wrecked though dude...

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Even so, it will be awesome.

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 pm

agreed.

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Coleman looked lost before he even got in the cage. He kept trying to bypass all the checks the refs do and walk straight in there. It's not like it's his first time in the cage.

Yeah it was like everyone at UFC 109 was trying something new. Even Randy pulled off a submission which i think they said was only the 3rd of his career.

Not sure about how much Hardy deserves a title shot already. UFC seems to use hype as their main match making basis. On the other hand who else deserves a shot. Anyone who does would surely be a rematch.

Also apparently Mir and Carwin are having a match for a interim title to see who's going to face off against Lesnar.

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm

Yeah theres a few WW contenders who are pissed that Hardy got the shot over them - Koscheck etc, but like you say, the only other contenders at this stage are people that have tried and failed against GSP.

Yeah, Mir v Carwin for Interim title, and if the winner of that is injured, the #1 contender is likely to be the winner of Nogueira vs Valesquez at 110 (which will be a doozy). Winner faces Brock upon his return.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 am

Trigg and Coleman both released.. no real surprise there.

Return to “Movies & TV”