The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
biljus max

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Postby biljus max » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:27 pm

BIG NOG!!! I love it when Goldberg says 'BIG NOG' like it's the name of some diabolical emperor who will behead him if he doesn't say it with enough emphasis.

Great freakin card, I haven't seen any prelims but highlights all round, most notably BOG NIG showing some chin and putting a big one two on the most overhyped up and coming heavyweight in the UFC and also Silva's first jab that sat Okami down, that was astonishing.

Florian was okay, but of course he's not going to match Rogan who is so comfortable and expressive nowadays, I think Florian did solid tho, didn't make any terrible calls, maybe said a bit too much in the post fight interviews and needed to be authoritive in sorting out the proceedings but hey, no dramas at all.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:40 pm

I don't think Shaub is overhyped at all. He's the only one I've noticed hyping himself.

Only issue I had with Florian was how biased he was towards Edson Barboza. I really like Barboza but I thought he lost that fight, however listening to Florian you would've thought Pearson was on the verge of unconsciousness most of the fight. He also looked really uncomfortable whenever someone started speaking porteugese to the crowd.. but really what was he going to do.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:44 pm

I thought Florian's commentary was alright but he was a bit uneasy with the post-fight interviews.

That was a spectacular card. Interesting, however, that for a card in Rio there were no submissions, but 10/11 Brazilians won their fights.

cheese

Postby cheese » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Sebaz wrote:I thought Florian's commentary was alright but he was a bit uneasy with the post-fight interviews.

Yeh my thoughts, wasn't bad but Rogans got that unique enthusiasm. Another missmatch on Anderson Silva....once again thats some serious head movement followed up by brutal power.
Did anyone else see chael sonnen on EPSN MMA Live? Gave an advantage to Okami to every aspect except the striking.
I wanna see Sonnen compete for the title again but this time see Silva hand him a dominate beating/kill him.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

deh

Postby deh » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:46 pm

cheese wrote:
Sebaz wrote:I thought Florian's commentary was alright but he was a bit uneasy with the post-fight interviews.

Yeh my thoughts, wasn't bad but Rogans got that unique enthusiasm. Another missmatch on Anderson Silva....once again thats some serious head movement followed up by brutal power.
Did anyone else see chael sonnen on EPSN MMA Live? Gave an advantage to Okami to every aspect except the striking.
I wanna see Sonnen compete for the title again but this time see Silva hand him a dominate beating/kill him.

Sonnen pops up every other day with new interviews/comments etc, he's a media powerhouse. Easily the best shit talker in the game. Even tho he did fight a good fight vs Anderson, i dont think thats the right fight and neither is Dan Henderson, who they seem to be pushing for.

The only fight that would make complete sense now is GSP (if he beats Nick Diaz-dont want him to but he probably will). With UFC's new fox deal, the smack talk Dana has been doing on Bob Arum/Boxing not making the fights for the fans, and both of these fighters who have completely cleaned there divisions. It has to be next. They both deserve this fight, to go down as the greatest P4P fighter etc.

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:05 pm

I wana see Silva go up to LHW now! Forget gsp
JeffJack is Christian

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 pm

Seriously though how the fuck are you supposed to fight a guy like Silva?
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:51 pm

Throw technique out the window and savage him like a berserker?

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:27 pm

ghetto ninja wrote:Seriously though how the fuck are you supposed to fight a guy like Silva?

I still think Vitor has a shot against him. He has the movement, speed and aggression to unnerve him. No one is making him nervous at all, and until someone has him over thinking his matches no one is going to beat him. The only other thing is his age. He's 36, and although he's plowing through guys still, time stops for no man and he will end up coming against someone with that generational leg up in the near future.

I just don't think Schaub is at that next tier of heavyweight like he's been marketed. I don't think he could beat Matt Mitrione, hopefully they get matched up.

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:34 pm

biljus max wrote:
ghetto ninja wrote:Seriously though how the fuck are you supposed to fight a guy like Silva?

I still think Vitor has a shot against him. He has the movement, speed and aggression to unnerve him. No one is making him nervous at all, and until someone has him over thinking his matches no one is going to beat him. The only other thing is his age. He's 36, and although he's plowing through guys still, time stops for no man and he will end up coming against someone with that generational leg up in the near future.

I just don't think Schaub is at that next tier of heavyweight like he's been marketed. I don't think he could beat Matt Mitrione, hopefully they get matched up.

I dunno man, Vitor had his shot and got kicked in the fucking face. I reckon Silva takes the winner of Stann vs Sonnen. Stann would be a legit contender if he wins, and he hasn't faced Silva before. Sonnen on the other hand would be a big money grudge rematch and after all Chael's shit talk, would be good to see Silva (without severe injuries this time) shut him up.

Outside of that, can't think of anyone viable / credible at MW. I'd much rather see Silva go up to LHW than have GSP come up to MW. Much better / more interesting fight possibilities for Silva at LHW.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:56 pm

stop posting those fucking huge images faggots.

nails

Postby nails » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:42 pm

I'd like to see Stann get the fight. Imagine fighting someone who is literally trained to kill people and has used it before.

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Trained killer or not, he'll end up in one of the following positions:

cheese

Postby cheese » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:27 pm

BloodFuck wrote:Forget gsp

A lot of people are jizzin over the gsp fight. Not me, i'd like to see him up against jon jones. Obviously a bit premature at the moment with no title defenses, but still...
I can't see GSP beating silva. The dudes on another level.

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Stann has nothing that in power/technique/style that Silva hasn't demolished before. I can't see him ever being anything more than a top 10-5 middleweight. He'll might do okay against Sonnen, take a UD perhaps but if he got to Silva he'd get worked. I think Vitor is the only guy to really concern Silva, which is why he tried such a crazy strike so early, and from the pre-match and their feeling out period, Silva was definitely wary and Vitor's speed at the scramble and getting inside Silva looked to be on par.

I'd like to see Silva Sonnnen 2 but then there's the TRT issue and whether or not Sonnen was only good because he was coming off a really nice cycle of steroids. I don't know much about that stuff however, but it does seriously marr their first fight.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:19 pm

I'd rather see Silva go up and try for two championships at one time.

biljus max wrote:I'd like to see Silva Sonnnen 2 but then there's the TRT issue and whether or not Sonnen was only good because he was coming off a really nice cycle of steroids. I don't know much about that stuff however, but it does seriously marr their first fight.

I don't think the TRT had anything to do with it. I tend to believe that Silva was injured and would destroy Sonnen in a rematch. Silva did not look like himself in that fight.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Everyone goes on about needing to apply pressure to Silva by quick forward moving striking game, yet everyone who trys that gets tagged early and there balls shrink and that game plan goes out the window. Silva has said that he wont fight Jon Jones huh?
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:11 pm

why not? Buddies?

cheese

Postby cheese » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:04 pm

well didn't he say he wasn't going to LHW fullstop?

I think the gameplan needs to be a bit more complex than pressure and rush in. Thats more a desperate style that you might get lucky with. Silva has great vision and would punish.

deh

Postby deh » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:03 am

Brock vs Overeem set for NYE UFC show.

Fucking siked already, gonna be the first 5 round non-title fight aswell.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:06 am

I think Overeem might actually murder Lesnar. I'm a Lesnar fan but this is a terrible match up for him. K1 level striker vs someone who panics when he gets hit...

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:12 pm

‎"I got offered to fight for the championship belt but that would mean I had to wait, because of course dos Santos is fighting Velasquez Nov. 12, it's going to be a great fight, then probably these guys are going to need some healing time, relaxing time, so November plus six months, that will probably be May. I'm a fighter, I like to be active, so then some names came rolling out and Brock Lesnar was among them and I think it's a dream match-up. The fans wants to see it; I want to see it. I'm very excited about this fight, so I immediately said yes."
Does that mean that the winner of this fight will fight for the title?
"Yeah" --Overeem.
JeffJack is Christian

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Just because of that i hope Overeem Wins.
JeffJack is Christian

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:04 am

Diaz pulled from 137 for no showing two press conferences. GSP vs Condit now to be the main event.

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:13 pm

damn there is so much shit going down with UFC matchmaking atm.

Overeem v Lesnar
Condit v GSP now
NOG v Mir
BJ v ??
Diaz v ??

Those last two fighting?

I still can't believe Overeem is fighting Lesnar. I'm really not sure how it'll go - either Lesnar getting Todd Duffee'd back to Iowa or Overeem on his back for 1 - 25 minutes.

cheese

Postby cheese » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Brian Ebersole Vs Rory Mcdonald is gunna be a good fight. Always loved watchin Ebersole fight and that Rory kid has got some good skills. rate em both.

I see Diaz is having a whinge at the UFC like it was all planned...promote a big fight then pullling him so they dont have to pay him big money. boowho loser.

deh

Postby deh » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 pm

BJ Penn vs Nick Diaz

wow.. this will be an even better fight. fuck gsp.

nails

Postby nails » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:24 am

Howzat shields
Looking forward to next week

ruff

Postby ruff » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Anyone watched the first episodes of the new season 14 TUF?

nails

Postby nails » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:08 am

nah how is it? Bisping Miller?

Return to “Movies & TV”