The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
The Face

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Postby The Face » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Between the boxing this morning (average) and UFC132 (excellent) I clocked up around 8 hours of fights today!

Wanderlei - Goodnight Sweet Prince.
Tito - Didn't believe in you but good on ya!
Condit - Sheeeeit
Cruz - told ya so ;)

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:28 am

Ortiz making a run at the LHW!!! haha ok maybe not but a good win for him.

I've only watched Cruz/Faber, that was a good fight, Cruz just winning by volume and a couple of takedowns. Sure, like Faber said, he didn't feel like he was in trouble at any stage but standing in the pocket doesn't get you any points, no matter how big and dimpled your chin is. Cruz just looked way more dynamic and his switch stance really opened up kicking opportunities.

Will watch the other fights tonight, looking forward to Bader getting shit on hehehe

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:04 am

wow Tito really went all out on the celebration, I guess that's what happens when you're on a losing streak like he was. Bader should be pissed at how that went down.

Wand's situation made me think alot more about those behind the ear punches. I've seen quite a lot of them recently, fighters being clipped just behind the ear and then subsquently not protecting themselves from a bigger shot. From my own experience this tends to affect balance a lot and not so much clarity, which is why i think wand went for a clinch, ate an uppercut, tried to carry on but then ate half a dozen of them and didn't go straight to defence because he thought he was steadier than he actually was. Sad to see him so out of it and confused after the fight tho, poor guy.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:21 am

Are you new to MMA? That's been Tito's celebration for a long time.. he just hasn't had the opportunity to do it for a long time.

I don't think Wanderlei had a chance to block those uppercuts, they were so quick. He was trying to murder Leben from the clinch like he did to Rampagebut was out before he knew it.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:28 am

And lets be honest, Wanderlei was at his best when he was in pride and thats a loooong time ago now. Fuck it was awesome when he put an end to Kazushi Sakurabas domination of Pride back in the early 00's.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:27 pm

I've got no issue with Tito's gravedigger at all - I think it's awesome. Maybe a dash disrespectful of the opponent, but he went and checked on him afterwards.

Yeah it's tough these days, a lot of my Pride Heroes (Wanderlei, Shogun, Cro-Cop etc) I tend to pick with my heart instead of my head, knowing full well they aren't what they used to be.

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Nah i've seen him do it several times but never completely flipping his wig like he'd won the title. I thought he was going to start having tears or joy at one stage.

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 pm

but yeah pretty new i've only been watching the last couple of years? since maybe ufc 91 i think was the first MMA event i watched.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Wellington peeps keen for some live Muay Thai & MMA should hit this on July 23rd

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvCCW97pT0M[/youtube]

(spot the song ;))

More info in these places:

http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q=de ... 3260496499
http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q=de ... motions.nz
http://www.muaythai.co.nz/

deh

Postby deh » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:24 am

The worst thing about Wanderlei being KO'd was that it was Leben who done it. Pretty sad, dude needs to hang up the gloves. I cant stand seeing my Pride crew get so demolished by such piss poor oppenants that they would of murdered when they were in their prime.

Anyone here checked out the greatest MMA interivew of all time?
Backstage with Chael Sonnen

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:50 am

Some NZ MMA:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_cN33ALdCc[/youtube]

Jiraya Fernades is the MMA trainer at me and Faces gym, what a legend, first fight too. Extremely keen to jump in on some of his classes!

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:05 pm

First thing I thought is damn that ring is small!

Pretty impressive, dude is quick on the ground with some smooth transitions. Takedowns were mean and that arm bar looked like is was on too.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Machida has stepped in for Davis after he suffered a knee injury. This is a good contender fight for both of them but I would have liked to see those two go at it.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/12/22 ... d-evans-at

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Interesting - You'd have to imagine it's going to be revenge of the Stanky leg! Rashad tried trading with Machida and this was the result:

He'd have to use a wrestling based gameplan, surely.

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:26 am

looks like i jumped the gun there, Machida has decided not to accept it. Man Rashad just can't catch a break here. I can't think of any top tier LHW's out there for him to fight atm... however how awesome would it be for Belfort to stack up and take him on. Completely unrealistic for several reasons however. on that note tho, belfort is going to completely wreck akiyama.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:51 pm

So now Tito has been confirmed for the fight..

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:27 pm

I really hope that Tito wins that fight, ballsy call to take it. If you tOld me 2 years ago I'd be backin Tito I would have laughed but yeah, he's really upped his stock in 2011

deh

Postby deh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Im totally down with Tito now aswell haha, i guess its the whole underdog situation he's in with such a huge UFC legacy behind him. UFC must of offered a fuck load to get him to sign that deal, would be quite interested to see what made him sign because theres surely a lot more on the table than just cash and the promise to not cut him if he loses this fight.

Bit bummed tho, having Machida vs Evans II would of been sick. So glad Phil Davis got injured tho, really not a fan of him/believe the hype following him.

your fucking funeral

Postby your fucking funeral » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:16 pm

wonder how much Titto got for that fight? id say more than the standard 60 k mark
chelovek cheloveky volk

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:57 am

I think he earned 400k for his last fight so something like that, maybe more considering he took the fight on short notice.

The card for 136 is looking sick..
Main Card
Lightweight Championship bout: United States Frankie Edgar (c) vs. United States Gray Maynard
Featherweight Championship bout: Brazil José Aldo (c) vs. United States Kenny Florian
Middleweight bout: United States Chael Sonnen vs. United States Brian Stann
Lightweight bout: United States Joe Lauzon vs. United States Melvin Guillard
Middleweight bout: Brazil Demian Maia vs. Brazil Jorge Santiago

Preliminary Card
Lightweight bout : United States Anthony Pettis vs. United States Jeremy Stephens
Heavyweight bout: United States Dave Herman vs. United States Mike Russow
Featherweight bout: United States Josh Grispi vs. United States Matt Grice

The fact that Pettis is on the undercard shows once again that the WEC guys are being under utilized. It seems that unless they're fighting for the belt (or have the surname Faber) they're on the undercard, which sucks cause the WEC guys are some of the most exciting guys on the roster.

your fucking funeral

Postby your fucking funeral » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:37 pm

yeah looking sick. Hopefully Frankie gets to hold the belt, he is one hell of a prizefighter
chelovek cheloveky volk

deh

Postby deh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:46 am

Adam The Muss wrote:I think he earned 400k for his last fight so something like that, maybe more considering he took the fight on short notice.

Thats just the beginning of how much he earnt for that fight.

Looks like Overeem has been cut from the Strikeforce Heavyweight GP. Pretty shit.

+ Fully agree with Adam on the WEC situation, im actually quite pissed with how they are marketing those guys, to me they are the most exciting to watch (incl 155lb of course) and the fact that instead of trying to 'market' these new faces they would rather put a random division fight (not a top contender fight) over former champs/top contender fights does my head in.

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 am

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:49 am

deh wrote:
Adam The Muss wrote:I think he earned 400k for his last fight so something like that, maybe more considering he took the fight on short notice.

Thats just the beginning of how much he earnt for that fight.

Oh yeah for sure.. obviously not including sponsorship $$$, his percentage of the PPV take, whatever Dana paid him under the table + anything he bet on himself.

That gif is awesome!

Another thing that has been annoying me lately is the MMA media using twitter as a source and quoting from it. Writing an article based on a sentence on twitter. Perfect example being Bloodyelbow's Dan Hardy/Tapout news this morning http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/19/2283280/ufc-fighter-dan-hardy-tapout-aint-tapout-anymore

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:03 pm

deh

Postby deh » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:46 pm

MMA journalists are pretty horrible in general, i hate the comments section on the majority of the news sites. So shit! The only journalist with full access to the UFC is pretty much Ariel Helwani, which is bit of a bummer.

Do any of you listen to The Jordan Breen show on sherdog? He's easily the most intelligent guy in the MMA media scene, pretty interesting listening to his takes on things and he's usually on the money with most subjects.

ragequit

Postby ragequit » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Dana cracking up in the background of that gif :lol:

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 am

Gutted that Sky isn't showing Fedor / Henderson this weekend.

I feel pretty conflicted by this fight - am kinda leaning towards Hendo.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Hendor Federson

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:15 pm

have to swing with fedor by first round armbar after stunning him like a cow in a slaughterhouse.

Return to “Movies & TV”