The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Adam The Muss

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Picks for this weekend..

Junior dos Santos vs. Shane Carwin
Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes
Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman
Demian Maia vs. Mark Muñoz
Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

I'm not certain about any of these fights to be honest. I'm backing JDS but I have a feeling Carwin is going to take it. Looking forward to watching Dave Herman in the octagon.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Maia vs Muñoz will be interesting. Hope Maia doesn't open with a sidekick :P

deh

Postby deh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 am

Im going with Adam's picks, and just like him i wouldnt be suprised if Carwin won. He's shed a bit of weight and been focusing a lot on his conditioning so anything could happen.

Also dont forget the prelims will be streamed on Youtube aswell as Facebook ;D

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 am

Ill go with JDS if he can handle the first 20 seconds of carwin.

also:
Check out what this douche said- Chael Sonnen: "triangle chokes are the refuge of cowards"
JeffJack is Christian

kimura

Postby kimura » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:26 am

Triangle anything is smart...110%. the sub of champs.

Will be watching a foxes ale house, getting drank 110%

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:22 am

I'm actually really not sure about the Einemo/Herman fight now that I remembered Einemo has been training at Golden Glory.

I've come to enjoy some of Sonnen's comments, however that comment is fairly ironic considering he can't defend a triangle to save his fuckin life. I'm pretty certain the formula to beating Sonnen is let him take you down, let him throw a couple of his little punches from guard and then slap on a triangle.. ala Mr Anderson Silva.

Apparently the UFC/Spike deal is pretty much dead and UFC is looking at buying a controlling share in a network... Wonder if we'd be likely at all to get the option of that on Sky. Also is it just me or are the PPVs not in HD? I noticed when watching the TUF finale last night that it was in HD but I swear the PPVs aren't.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

cheese

Postby cheese » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:30 pm

BloodFuck wrote:Check out what this douche said- Chael Sonnen: "triangle chokes are the refuge of cowards"

Hes said a ton of smack towards BJJ and Brazilian fighters in general. Its tiresome, although I guess he has to do something as training would be a pointless exercise these does.

Ill go
Carwin
Nunes
Herman
Munoz
and always Cerrone, any day of the week.
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

deh

Postby deh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Sonnen is by far the most entertaining post and pre match fighter. Bit gutted he didnt get is license back and wasnt able to be a coach on TUF. Would be way better than having the biggest moron in MMA, Mayhem Miller..

kimura

Postby kimura » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Hahaha...anybody seen Bullybeatdown?????

nails

Postby nails » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:09 pm

yeah its pretty gay

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:13 pm

kimura wrote:Triangle anything is smart

This
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Despite the last minute choke attempt from Carwin, that fight was all JSD.
I like seeing big mouth yanks go down to a humble but confident fighter.
Not sure how JSD will fare against Velasquez though.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 am

Pretty happy with my picks, best I've done for a while. I wish I'd gone with JDS rather than my gut feeling Carwin was gonna land one of those massive fists though. That Sam Stout knock out was pretty impressive.

I'm backing JDS to take the belt from Velasquez.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:36 pm

I went 10-2 with my picks for the whole card, was stoked. Very happy for JDS!

kimura

Postby kimura » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:09 pm

^^ Brilliant pic haha.

Was very impressed by JDS's performance, especially those snappy takedowns he was landing on Carwin (Div 2 Collegiate in the US is pretty hardcore, if you win that you would also at least be very competitive at Div 1... so taking him down should be a real achievement)

Sad to see Maia lose, I always go for the grapplers... but he has improved his striking by miles, came out really strong in that first round. I like how Rogan loves to mention he is not a natural athlete whenever he gets the chance.

Where I was watching it there was someguy going "use a condom lolz, do da 69 etc"whenever it touched the ground. So I was hoping for some extreme subs so I would feel vindicated and be all like Seee seeee! this stuff is really good, soo cool right! right!!DUMBARSE!!!!!! But that moment never happened :(

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Was hoping for a finish, but that was awesome! Why did Carwin not live up to his talk tho? Took everything and threw barely anything. JDS looked so relaxed, love the show of boxing technique, those jabs!!!!

Managed to catch the Nunes/Florian fight, was pretty pretty rad, although Nunes is always crying I was secretly hoping he'd smash straight through Florian. Ah well.

cheese

Postby cheese » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Good on JDS. I always tend to underrate how hard he can hit a guy. He knows how to do some damage. I reckon Brock is lucky to step away for a while.

Good on the UFC too for broadcasting on youtube now too, although the broadcast quality is very average compared with facebook, will stick with fb for my prelims

deh

Postby deh » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:45 am

5/5 with picks, yeeeboi!

JDS looked sharp, has the whole blackhouse boxing technique/stance with that jab, was so effective. Gonna be a sweet fight with Cain.
The Maia v Munoz fight was way better than expected, i had it 29-28 Maia just scraping through.
Florian didnt look spectacular 145 - in many ways he was struggling so Joe Rogan constantly praising him was getting annoying. He may be 'high profile' but id like him to at least have another 2 fights before taking on Aldo.

Strikeforce this weekend, cant wait to see Overeem & Barnett destroy.

cheese

Postby cheese » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:57 pm

yeh I agree with ya, when Kenny was hosting MMA live on ESPN, he asked Dana directly "will I get a title shot if I win?". Dana said "Yeh probably" Theres soo many good fighters from the WEC that have shown amazing skill and speed. Another couple of 145 wins before he gets to Aldo agreed. Lately Kenny has looked good enough without destroying anyone.

I scored Maia Munoz around the other way 29-28 Munoz with Munoz just taking the last 2 rounds. Fuck knows how one of the judges scored it 30-27.

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Nice one JDS!
His Title shot is going to be very interesting...
JeffJack is Christian

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:37 am

Watched Overeem vs Werdum by stream and I will never do that again, it lagged like a motherfucker.

I found that card to be highly disappointing considering how hyped it was. Surprised by the KJ Noons fight. Werdum trying to pull the same trick he used against Fedor was a joke. I don't know why he didn't just stand with Overeem cause he was actually doing pretty well.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:31 am

Yeah I've always found live streaming to be hit & miss and more stress than it's worth.

Barnett looked shit hot, then again Rogers is not anywhere top 10.

Werdum vs Overeem was a big let down. Overeem was very hesitant to engage, he's normally a huge counter puncher - waiting and covering up while the opponent throws shots then counters big time (see his K1 fights last year) but just wasn't pulling the trigger. Fair enough not leaping into Werdum's guard, look what happened to Fedor. Fingers crossed there are more fireworks in his fight against BigFoot.

Werdum begging was pretty pathetic, if you want him on the ground, take him down or pull guard properly.

Noons fight was a banger.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Two fights into the stream and I was wishing I had just paid for the ppv but I was too stubborn to give up and watch it later.

Rogers looked pretty lost on the ground, which wasn't all that surprising.

I can't stand watching fights where BJJ guys have a game plan which is obviously to get it to the ground and then just shit the bed when they can't do it.. Silva vs Leites or Maia both come to mind.

Overeem has been saying Werdum didn't want to fight, he'd pull guard and then leave his guard open so Overeem could just stand up. I just don't get what he was up to. The referee should've warned him in my opinion.
That fight killed the hype of both fighters and probably the Strikeforce heavyweight division, especially after Carwin vs JDS the other week.

Now we've got UFC on Versus 4 coming up this weekend. What a month for MMA!

deh

Postby deh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:42 am

Nate Diaz vs Takanori Gomi announced for UFC 135..
gotta say this is a matchup that im pretty keen on seeing, Nick vs Gomi is up there with one of my favourite fights ever, so it'll be good to see how young Nate goes!

cheese

Postby cheese » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeh I just watched strikeforce off the torrents. Sweet quality and had a few undercard fights in there which weren't half bad. The only disappointment was the commentary of Aussie Michael Schiavello whos knockout line is always "...and its GOODNIGHT IRENE!" and his partner...that Dutch moron who has NOTHING useful to say.

deh

Postby deh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Michael Schiavello rules dude. Sure he can be over the top, but his 1 liners are awesome, and completely left field of typical commentating in MMA which can be horrible (eg Strikeforce Gus Johnson yelling trying to make a fight exciting).

Schiavello does some specials on HDNet - The Voice Presents, which are really awesome interviews with prominent MMA peeps.

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Schiavello is more miss than hit I find. He's WAAAAY too reliant on that 'more (something) than (something)' gimmick of his. A few chuckles, but a lot of time with my face in my palms. I agree his HDNet specials.

Bas Ruten is the man.

deh

Postby deh » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:27 am

Bas Rutten on the Joe Rogan Podcast is simply amazing, if you havnt given it a listen check it out here

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 am

+1 for Bas, his Pride commentary was hilarious.

p.s CHAD GRIGGS.

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:31 pm

Anyone who doesn't like Bas Rutten should watch this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mBe0_Ha78[/youtube]

UFC on versus this weekend (maybe monday), some interesting matches. Marquardt's first fight at WW vs Rick 'the boring' Story.

Also, Pat Barry vs Cheick Kongo, someone's either getting kicked in the legs or kneed in the balls.

Return to “Movies & TV”