The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
kimura

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Postby kimura » Fri May 27, 2011 12:48 pm

Being a ballator badass. Dude needs to go strikeforce/ufc/dream or something would awesome to see him get some top level competition more often as opposed cleaning up lower level guys and the occasional ex ufc/pride fighter

nails

Postby nails » Fri May 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Saw him fight on CFC, mopped the floor with another aussie guy

JJ 2011

Postby JJ 2011 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:34 pm

My cousin lost to him, but he is in UFC now and monkey boy ain't.
No longer Eddy the Dwarf, but Eddy the Coward - he mentions kids on punkas as some sort of trump card.

Fucken coward, has no shame.

PunkinDrublic wrote:Small Room with mazaire bed
$50 a week + monthly bills

Pref Male
Pref Vege.
Must like cats and narcotics.
Shit cunts need not apply.
Churr

ghetto ninja wrote:The Grove is full of fuckin awesome cunts currently. I would highly recommend moving in.

PunkinDrublic wrote:I would highly recommend Eddie moves back in.
But he's a family man now so the rest of you are in luck.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=24&p=1185281

The Face

Postby The Face » Fri May 27, 2011 2:43 pm

James Te-Huna?

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Sat May 28, 2011 1:02 pm

Ahhhh getting excited for tomorrow! Looking forward to Rampage vs Hamill the most I think, also can't wait to see Nelson in action, gonna be so sweet.

cheese

Postby cheese » Sun May 29, 2011 10:37 am

prelims live on facebook. 5 mins away!
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 pm

man BC got schooled. Thought he'd be able to get Mir down at least once and wear him out but the exact opposite happened. I think alot of Mir haters got informed.

Struve went out in Struve like fashion. The only thing that would have made it less unusual would have been if he had got up from that and ko'd Browne. Or if his lip had blown up and ko'd Browne. Or if he'd drowned Browne in a pool of his blood.

cheese

Postby cheese » Tue May 31, 2011 10:46 pm

yeh very disappointing co and main event. "Embarrassing" according to Dana. Although going by the 2 matchups, im not really surprised. Hamil couldn't do anything (which did suprise me) to rampage yet rampage fought an overly cautious boring fight (no surprises there)
I think big country will be told to shape up or fuck off. Hes obviously not naturally athletic, but shit man you're a professional MMA fighter at the highest level, have some respect for your body. Gassing that early in the fight just makes the UFC look bad.

Browne's KO was just a beautiful watch. Loved it.

And even though the TUF coaches have been announced I reckon Brian Stann should go up against Bisping for a top contender spot. Always rated stann and hes just looking more solid every time. He'd make a very good coach.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 am

I was so gutted with the Alves/Story fight. I though Alves was going to absolutely wreck Story.. how wrong I was.

Read that Rampage injured his hand leading into the fight so that's why he was more timid. My flatmate pointed out, while we were watching the build up, that all of Rampage's highlights are from quite a few years ago. He hasn't had a truly exciting fight for a while now.

Mike Dolce reckons he could get Nelson down to middleweight. On that note.. Alves was looking a lot skinnier than he has in the past.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:30 am

I wasn't upset with the main event, only in the fact that Rampage couldn't put Hamill away. Rampage looked better than he has in a while, knees, elbows, actually checking kicks. He stuffed EVERY SINGLE ONE of Hamill's takedowns and usually had some sweet counter shots to punish those shots. I think the fractured hand goes a long way to explain the lack of aggressive offense by Jackson, then again he's always tended to work as a counter striker.

Nelson did look embarrassing and has to give it up at Heavyweight, sure he knocked out Struve and Schaub - but he won't cut it against elite opposition.

Struve getting destroyed was awesome, 6'11 stankyleg. I'll be keen to watch more of Browne's fights.

Story vs Alves was a bit of a disappointment for me, mainly because I was hoping for an Alves win. Smart gameplan by story to neutralise Thiago's striking, but fuck that was boring.

The LHW contender picture is pretty unclear at the moment. Rashad was #1 contender, but it looks as though Jones has successfully ducked him. Rashad now fights undefeated Phil Davis. Rampage narrowly scraped by against Lyoto, and couldn't put Hamill away - a guy who's two most noticeable wins were a DQ win over Jones he won via getting murdered and beating Tito Ortiz. Lyoto lost to rampage and recently KO'd an ageing legend in Randy Couture. Who's it gonna be?

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:29 pm

lol @ Brian 'ALL AMERICAN WITH A SLIPKNOT TATTOO' Stann. Cracks me up.

I actually quite liked the two main events, they weren't terrible watches. Haven't watched Story/Alves and i picked that for FOTN so probably won't bother.

LHW... Forest is in there somewhere, although I don't think he'd beat Jones it would be an entertaining fight win or lose. Phil Davis. Machida getting contender fight. On the next few cards there is nothing in the LHW division. Bader/Tito... :/ There's a few heavyweights in strikeforce ATM who I can see jumping over soon. CHAD GRIGGS :)

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:33 pm

I see Rich is fighting Lil Nog. Could be a good fight, a win for Nog would put him up the rankings quite a bit.

Also interesting is Hendo apparently fighting Fedor this year. And it's looking pretty firm too. I only see Hendo winning one way, and this really doing nothing for either fighter apart. Wonder what the catchweight will be?

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Hendo vs Fedor is signed for July - will be at a catchweight of 220. Will be sick.

As for LHW contenders - Davis and Evans fight at 133, Shogun is fighting Forrest at 134 in Rio, should clear up the title shot picture a little bit - Tito and Bader are irrelevant in the scheme of things. Interesting to see what happens with Rampage and Lyoto's next fights.

I don't dig the 'Former Marine' angle that UFC crams down our throats at any chance with Brian Stann, but the dudes had an impressive run of late, I can't take that away from him.

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:13 pm

100 kg, nice. Interesting to see, i'm just not sure that it'll be crazy entertaining. Two bonafide legends however so it's always interesting to see the class of a fight like this.

I guess Brian Stann has all the marketing angles covered for young males, a laconic former marine who loves slipknot and now fights guys. Apparently he was having to do the Marine angle a lot more because he was still contracted with them, but when he leaves (maybe he has now) there'll be much less of that, although the Marines advertise through UFC so it'll still be there.

cheese

Postby cheese » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:17 pm

I'd like to see Lyoto fight jonny jones.
Even though rampage "beat" lyoto, I think rampage would get dominated by Jones. Same goes for Rashad.
I wouldn't favour Lyoto to win but his style might cause more of a challange/interesting fight.

Yeh the Alves Story fight was frustrating to watch. Another wrestler dominating with cage control. Alves reckons he won the fight too.

wiki wrote:Quinton Jackson: $250,000 (no win bonus) def. Matt Hamill: $32,000
Frank Mir: $250,000 ($125,000 win bonus) def. Roy Nelson: $15,000
Travis Browne: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Stefan Struve: $21,000
Rick Story: $34,000 ($17,000 win bonus) def. Thiago Alves: $33,000
Brian Stann: $46,000 ($23,000 win bonus) def. Jorge Santiago: $36,000
Demetrious Johnson: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Miguel Torres: $30,000
Tim Boetsch: $36,000 ($18,000 win bonus) def. Kendall Grove: $26,000
Gleison Tibau: $50,000 ($25,000 win bonus) def. Rafaello Oliveira: $10,000
Michael McDonald: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Chris Cariaso: $4,000
Renan Barão: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus) def. Cole Escovedo: $6,000

Not a great payday for BC.
Tibau cashed in with a 70k extra submission bonus to boot

deh

Postby deh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Noticed no one has mentioned the Torres vs Johnson fight, probably the only fight on the card i was really looking forward to and it wasnt a let down. The result however was pretty fucked, Torres basically controlled and dominated the fight on his back, attempting subs/out striking/controlling Mighty Mouse pretty much but lost the fight because he was on his back... kinda annoying how takedowns (even when you do nothing & laying on top of someone and doing nothing) are still the 'highest' valued part of the fight and its starting to become a fuckin joke. Id almost go so far to say that it's almost making jiu jitsu redundent.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:10 am

There's some interesting articles on the Torres/Johnson fight on bloodyelbow, even though they believed Torres should've won, when they used BJJ point scoring Johnson still ended up with the result.

I dunno if Jones would handle Rashad, it looks like he's ducking him and there must be a reason why. Rashad has basically said he handled Jones in training and as far as I've seen Jones hasn't effectively denied it. Rampage though would be thrown on the ground with one of those judo trips and elbowed to fuck I reckon. No interest in seeing Machida fight for the belt either, I don't think a win over an old man who was spoon fed opponents is really deserving of a title shot.. especially not when the former champ, who got destroyed by the current champ, arguably beat him twice.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:34 am

Sheeeeit.. GSP vs Diaz has just been announced for UFC 137

kimura

Postby kimura » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:50 am

Haha, Looking forward to that!!!

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Awesome!

Fuck the next few weeks are so stacked....

Ultimate fighter Semi's tonight

Ultimate fighter Finale (feat Pettis vs Guida) on Sunday

131 (Carwin vs JDS) on next Sunday

Strikeforce Heavyweight tournament (Overeem v Werdum, Rogers v Barnett) the weekend after that

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:29 pm

GSP vs Diaz is going to be HOT, cannot wait.

forgot ultimate fighter semis were tonight, gonna be a banger, can't wait to finish work!

Crap, funnily enough I'm gonna be spending the day in a an edit suite cutting MMA and thai boxing when 131's on next sunday... GAH. Replay it will have to be.

deh

Postby deh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Pretty stoked for Diaz vs GSP..

How i picture it: If it goes like the Shields fight Diaz will destroy GSP, but that wont happen - Can see this going the same way as the Dan Hardy/Thiago Alves fight, where GSP just completely stops all offence by Diaz + he'll probably take out his legs with some kicks.

I really dont want to see it go that way, but its pretty much the only way i see this fight going. Hopefully Diaz can get Sonnen/other wrestlers into his camp to help him on his takedown defence. The other thing that could upset GSP is the fact Nick Diaz is always moving forward, and has a huge output of Punches which GSP hasnt come up against. Either way i fkn hope Diaz kills him.

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Really wana see Jones vs Evans. Be surprised if anyone beats Jones in a while.
GSP will beat Diaz.
JeffJack is Christian

biljus max

Postby biljus max » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Theoretically GSP/Diaz could be awesome, but you know GSP is going to wrestlefuck a decision and the GSP is boring argument will be back to square one. Wish it wasn't so but it's highly likely. Looking forward to pettis/guida, always loved guida from day 1.

Ramsey 'Stripper' Nijem is probably the most awesome mofo to appear on TUF. Such a well rounded personality, although being surrounded by douches probably makes him appear more of a good cunt that he actually is. Laughed so hard when he got in a wooo at the weigh in before Chris Cope could.

cheese

Postby cheese » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:22 pm

retarded channel 9 over here in Aus bought the rights to this season of TUF, yet they air it after 11pm on their other less known channel "GO!" and they aren't even showing the finale live, most likely show it next Thursday.
Won't be able to watch the finale live but at least the internet will sort me out the next day.

edit, oh yay fuelTV has it on LIVE :D

GSP Vs Diaz will be a great fight. I don't think Paul Daley was too far from victory against Diaz, just made a couple of bad decisions and a couple of decent shots that didn't connect. Huge promotional value once again though. Elite humble champion good guy Vs cocky arrogant prick :D

cheese

Postby cheese » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:37 am

wow. 7 facebook prelim fights starting in an hour then the main card afterwards. I need a cage to lock the kids in for a few hours

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Ramsey :(

cheese

Postby cheese » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:54 pm

yeh a bit gutted about that. Looks like Chris Cope will score himself a contract with that performance against Chuck.
Would have loved to see the Guida Pettis fight go 5 rounds.

deh

Postby deh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:15 am

Adam The Muss wrote:There's some interesting articles on the Torres/Johnson fight on bloodyelbow, even though they believed Torres should've won, when they used BJJ point scoring Johnson still ended up with the result.

Yeah it was interesting to hear Jordan Breens take on it, talking about how the rules for Abu Dhabi rate a position like side control more than being stuck in a triangle for 60sec, how they basically just rate position over attempting to finish fights.

Gutted for Pettis, at least he didnt do a Rashad i guess, but it was always a dangerous fight vs Guida. I really cant stand Guida.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:01 am

cheese wrote:yeh a bit gutted about that. Looks like Chris Cope will score himself a contract with that performance against Chuck.
Would have loved to see the Guida Pettis fight go 5 rounds.

I have to say I am so glad Chuck got smashed, I hated his stupid giant hats and shit talk. Chris cope looked good! Was fun to watch, probably one of my favorite fights of the night. The Pettis/Guida fight was actual edge of the seat stuff, last round was fricking awesome, but yeah 5 rounds would've been mean, I was really enjoying the groundwork.

Return to “Movies & TV”