The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
FC
Orange Ska Dork

Re: The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Postby FC » Tue May 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Probably not allowed to use his image, but using his name in satire is fine.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

cheese

Postby cheese » Tue May 10, 2011 1:46 pm

read about that the other day. great concept :D haha
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

The Face

Postby The Face » Fri May 13, 2011 9:18 am

Fuck, Brock Lesnar is ill and out of the fight vs JDS at 131.

Shane Carwin will be replacing him. Dunno how to feel about that.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Fri May 13, 2011 9:27 am

Nooooooooooooooo!!!! I really wanted to see that fight. Cunty.

kimura

Postby kimura » Fri May 13, 2011 11:16 am

Punkas Grappling Challenge:

Best of 3 or round robbin depending on who is keen.
Gi & No Gi. Mixed level, there will be BB's but also scrubs, so good experience for anyone really.
When: Whenever

Any one keen?

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Fri May 13, 2011 12:20 pm

The crazy thing is Roy Nelson predicting this in January. JDS has opened as the favourite over Carwin

"I think Brock Lesnar is done," Nelson said. "I think Brock doing TUF is one way to basically take a situation and make it win-win for him. I think Lesnar doing the show is a way to introduce Junior Dos Santos to the American fan base in the way the show does. TUF introduces "stars in the making" to the casual UFC fan and while JDS is the number one contender he still needs some help with the American fan base. So the conspiracy basically comes down to the fact that Shane Carwin has no one to fight in June. I think Brock Lesnar will walk off the TUF set and then Carwin will take his spot or Frank Mir will come in to "save the day" and fight JDS for title contention. The reason I believe Frank would be the guy is because Mir is coming off a win and I was already supposed to fight Shane so fans were already hyped to see it. Or Carwin could move in to face JDS and I could still face Frank but it doesn't really matter to me as to who fights who because all that really matters is the fans want to see me fight somebody. A lot of things could happen over the next six weeks but it seems a bit off that Carwin doesn't have an opponent right now and all of the top heavyweights are spoken for."

scrubs vs black belts won't be much of a 'challenge', more a complete and utter domination
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

nails

Postby nails » Fri May 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Nah lets do it Adam! I'm fucking awful on the ground

kimura

Postby kimura » Fri May 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Haha, there can be 2 divisions anyway plus a mixed one.

You're ground isn't awful at all considering you only started end of last year.
IMO ground work development is fairly consistant with most people. People initially learn slow because it seems alien to be on your back etc but once the basics are there people improve pretty fast.

nails

Postby nails » Sat May 14, 2011 12:43 am

Jordan I realised tonight my favorite technique is omoplata

The Face

Postby The Face » Sat May 14, 2011 1:53 pm

On second thought, while I'm gutted about Brock vs JDS not happening, Carwin JDS will be a slugfest. Takes away the potential Wrestling Brock would bring in and narrows it down to huge cunts trying to knock each other out. win/win.

cheese

Postby cheese » Sat May 14, 2011 3:41 pm

besides, Carwin came oh so close to TKOing Brock. If theres another heavyweight out there besides JDS deserving a title shot, Its Shane Carwin. Looking forward to it.

kimura

Postby kimura » Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 am

nails wrote:Jordan I realised tonight my favorite technique is omoplata

Yeah It's mean, myth bust: you need to be flexible to pull it off.
It just requires the correct angle & a bum of steel to drill it lol.

Havn't been following UFC's heavyweights much lately, I never really enjoy watching beefcakes slug it out (I'm not denying they are extremely skilled etc) But I'm looking forward to seeing more of overeem, for me he is one of the most exciting guys to watch.

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 am

Yeah Overeem is a beast for sure - excited to see him vs UFC's heavyweights after he takes out the SF HW tourney. I know he's still gotta get through Werdum and most likely Barnett, but I've got him winning both fights.

kimura

Postby kimura » Tue May 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Barnett, Lol.

Barnett looks like your typical weathered, jaded and aging wrestler who can't throw in the towel. Can imagine him coaching high school/uni wrestling after he retires. Sobbing uncontrolably in the locker room after each practice.

Phlegethon

Postby Phlegethon » Tue May 17, 2011 4:15 pm

barnett actually seems like a pretty intelligent dude, ya know, if you ignore the whole doping thing. probably my favourite fighter outside of the ring

kimura

Postby kimura » Tue May 17, 2011 6:00 pm

Favourite fighter out of ring: Genki Sudo

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu May 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Chael Sonnen suspended indefinitely by the CSAC for lying in his first hearing.

Liar, Drug Cheat, Convicted Money Launderer.... See you bye!

cheese

Postby cheese » Thu May 19, 2011 5:04 pm

good fucking riddance.
Don't need dickheads like him ruining such a great sport.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Would've enjoyed Bisping vs Sonnen for the next TUF
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

cheese

Postby cheese » Thu May 19, 2011 9:34 pm

wonder whos gunna coach in the AUS vs UK

primebeef

Postby primebeef » Thu May 19, 2011 9:51 pm

cheese wrote:wonder whos gunna coach in the AUS vs UK

George Sotiropoulos vs Paul Kelly is the only match up I can think of

nails

Postby nails » Fri May 20, 2011 4:30 am

To be honest I don't know if I'm against drug use is sports.

kimura

Postby kimura » Fri May 20, 2011 12:05 pm

I'm pretty against it.

Sport should be &generally is to promote healthy living etc
Drugs that are banned in sport are for a few reasons: being dangerous, having adverse effects, being an unfair advantage etc.

When you get drug testers coming into your house on new years eve etc to get you to piss in a cup and watch you do it, it's pretty annoying when people are doping on the sly.

nails

Postby nails » Fri May 20, 2011 1:43 pm

It wouldn't be unfair if everyone did it :D
And it's only unhealthy if you're dosing real hard, it's actually possible to do it safely.

kimura

Postby kimura » Sat May 21, 2011 11:18 am

Do what safely????
there are tonnes of banned drugs some worse than others.
Blood doping,roids etc being pretty bad imo all the time.

Shouldnt it be about who has the most talent/best training/fitness etc as opposed to who has taken the best super drug? Otherwise its just going to be a race to find the newest meds. Let alone unbalancing everything, as how many people have access to that.

ruff

Postby ruff » Sat May 21, 2011 2:08 pm

kimura wrote:Do what safely????
there are tonnes of banned drugs some worse than others.
Blood doping,roids etc being pretty bad imo all the time.

Shouldnt it be about who has the most talent/best training/fitness etc as opposed to who has taken the best super drug? Otherwise its just going to be a race to find the newest meds. Let alone unbalancing everything, as how many people have access to that.

:roll:

lots of drugs are banned... agreed... what does this have to do with the discussion?

"imo" ... your opinion is wrong and clearly based on media hype and not first hand experience. If you think a drug is going to make you a legend you need to give it a go and then come back to us.

The most talent / best training / fitness... hahahha... you can train all you want genetics are ultimately going to determine who ends up on top.

Every athlete who trains and competes at the highest level uses something, you can claim its drugs, legal or not, or you can count access to the best, most expensive training facilities and people. When the human body is pushed to its limits, the genetically superior will rise (we're talking sport here)... you think Usain Bolt dominates because he trains the hardest or Silva walks through his opponents because he puts in more time and effort than they do? You're naive man, genetics rule; which makes any drug enhancing debate nullified because nothing is ever equal. Those guys were great the first time they gave it a go. Bolt would have ran you down the minute he learnt to walk and Silva would have kicked your arse the second he hit puberty. These guys use... im not going to guess at what but you dont train like they do, day in day out with out needing the help. Does that make them cheaters or fakes... fuck no. Sonnen used... who cares, he's still gonna walk through all of us with his hands tied behind his back. What is fake is when they pretend they are ashamed or let the public down, fuck that, its a competitive combat sport.

Performance enhancing drugs are widely used and piss tests don't reveal shit.

They need to lose the stigma and the misguided fair and natural attitude and open the use and the athletes up to proper testing, regulation and control rather than pretend its not happening everywhere and attempt to sweep it under the mat.

Your heros use drugs... deal with it; they and sport, are better for it.

Do you have a stance on legal over the counter drugs and supplements?

nails

Postby nails » Sat May 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Doctors prescribe steroids, its not dangerous to use the in moderation, but it is effective.
Obviously it would need to be vigorously monitored for their safety but it's doable.
I see it as just another tool in your training, same as supplements ETC

ruff

Postby ruff » Sat May 21, 2011 3:44 pm

nails wrote:Doctors prescribe steroids, its not dangerous to use the in moderation, but it is effective.
Obviously it would need to be vigorously monitored for their safety but it's doable.
I see it as just another tool in your training, same as supplements ETC

Doctors (here) don't prescribe performance enhancing drugs - outside of test boosters and maybe GH is some rare cases; athletes cant walk into their local GP and ask for a prescription for Dbol. This is actually my biggest issue with it all - they should be able to.

Supplements are the funny parallel. Hiding under the guise of "health products" or "dietary supplements" they are not regulated or controlled at all. People have to die first before the FDA tends to take notice. I'm unaware of New Zealand's statistics regarding the matter, I do recall the issue regarding possible regulation a few years back that had the hippies claiming unfair advantages given to the pharmaceutical industry. They didn't think they should have to prove or test anything they made.

Ask your grandparents or parents what sort of "natural" pills they are popping due to talk back pushing anecdotal evidence by paid nobodies or has been rugby players. Performance enhancing drugs used by professional athletes under the watchful eye of qualified doctors should be a footnote in a war on "health" and "dietary" supplements pushed on Joe and Jane Average.

nails

Postby nails » Sat May 21, 2011 6:07 pm

I meant they prescribe them for patients. People who are suffering from muscle atrophy often need to take them, but the dose they are given is monitored.

ruff

Postby ruff » Sat May 21, 2011 9:30 pm

nails wrote:I meant they prescribe them for patients. People who are suffering from muscle atrophy often need to take them, but the dose they are given is monitored.

Oh of course. In the case of muscle atrophy though growth hormone has become the preferred treatment as it has far less side effects. It may not be the case in NZ though but is definitely the case in the US. Wish I knew about it when I hit puberty, could have done with the inches (in height :lol: )

Return to “Movies & TV”