The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
The Face

Re: MMA THREAD (UFC/WEC/STRIKEFORCE/DREAM ETC ETC)

Postby The Face » Mon May 10, 2010 12:41 pm

So stoked!!!

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon May 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Love the way he knocks out Machida and then starts standing up before Yves Lavinge stops the fight.

Kimbo vs Mattrione.. what a joke. Kimbo pretty much gave up.

Gutted Daley threw his UFC career away. Apparently Koscheck said something to him around a minute before the fight ended, be interesting to know what it was. Hopefully Strikeforce signs him rather than going back to semi obscurity with cage rage or something.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Mon May 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Yeah keen to hear what Koscheck said, must of been pretty good for Daley to pack it up like that. Keen to see GSP take Koscheck apart next :angel:

deh

Postby deh » Mon May 10, 2010 3:55 pm

probably just called him a shitter or a pussy, which koscheck deserved to have said. i use to hate koscheck with a passion but after his previous fights and that one im starting to become bit of a fan. its crazy how the montreal fans boo'd him when he went in there and fought a fight like GSP, completely out classing his opponent through takedowns.

so stoked to see ma boy shogun take out machida with ease, went back to his pride glory days with his aggressiveness and walked away with the belt. so good to see a champion win the belt in the first round, havnt seen that in a while for the ufc.

kimbo looked terrible, dana defantely had to get off the ship asap with that.

overall an above average ufc event.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon May 10, 2010 7:21 pm

I used to like Koscheck but his blatant cheating in the last two fights was fuckin appalling.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Mon May 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Yeah Koscheck's invisible knee's make him look like a fool. Like he doesn't realize it's all on camera or something. I think Dan Miragliotta won that fight. (nice headlock)

Kimbo isn't smart enough to fight. owned.

best fight was Stout vs Stevens 3 rounds of stand up action, good to see.

See ya later Paul Daley.

deh

Postby deh » Mon May 10, 2010 8:48 pm

Gronk wrote:Yeah Koscheck's invisible knee's make him look like a fool. Like he doesn't realize it's all on camera or something.

haha its funny and a bit lame, wouldnt go so far to say its cheating, because he got no advantage from either actions. his after match comments were A++.

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Tue May 11, 2010 11:33 am

I thought there was a point deducted for the invisible knee or was it overturned?

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 am

overturned after video replay proved kos is a poof...

Hollywood aside, he was impressive in this fight - takedowns were amazing, the first he landed he was essentially against the cage and daley ended up on the other side of the octagon against the cage.

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Tue May 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Despite Koscheck being a douche he is a really good WW and would beat most people in the world at that weight. Not sure if he can take out GSP, and I'm never happy about a series of TUF holding up a belt, but I do look forward to their rematch.

cheese

Postby cheese » Tue May 11, 2010 11:02 pm

The Face wrote:Moving on, The Ultimate Fighter S11E06 was yet another in a long history of embarrassing MMA decisions, I had Nick Ring Barely (BARELY) winning round one, and Court winning round 2 hands down. For 2 judges to call that 20-18 and void a 3rd round is beyond me...

Yeah that looked straight forward for a 3rd round. Courts round 2 domination was obvious. Nicely fixed up UFC keeping the favourite as prime contender...?

Just watched UFC113. Great battle after great battle.
I only seen a couple of kimbos other fights. Hes always looked slow and tired. Anticlimax end though. Mattrione should have stood him up for a KO

Daley deserves to go. It wasn't straight after the bell or in the moment. He snuck up behind faking to give congrats to Koscheck. Pretty shit. I'd still pay to see a rematch though. :D Straight afterwards he said he didn't hear the bell then realised how stupid that sounded and said he was just frustrated and thoughtless.

Rashad V Rampage, shit I can't wait for this :D :D :D
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

ruff

Postby ruff » Tue May 11, 2010 11:17 pm

cheese wrote:Rashad V Rampage, shit I can't wait for this :D :D :D

o hell yes!!!

whats with all the contenders breaking themselves? most injuries in a season of TUF?

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Rampage by way of murder.

Crossing my fingers for that then Shogun vs Page..

Then Silva beating Sonnen then Shogun vs Silva - now i'm getting ahead of myself ;)

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 pm

The Face wrote:Rampage by way of murder.

Crossing my fingers for that then Shogun vs Page..

Then Silva beating Sonnen then Shogun vs Silva - now i'm getting ahead of myself ;)

Agreed.

My flat mate and I have a $20 bet on the Rampage/Evans fight. I said double or nothing if Rampage wins by KO but the cunt wouldn't take it cause he knows it's coming.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Thu May 13, 2010 12:47 am

I hope Rampage knocks that short legged long armed having motherfucker out.

kimura

Postby kimura » Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 am

Missed all the recent UFC's but was glad to hear about Shogun taking out Machida,
the last UFC I watched was the Silva incident, I really want to gripe about it because it wasn't cheap but then again if MMA is a sport people cant expect it to be a show like WWF everytime.

Trained at Sexyamas Dojo recently, was pretty sweet though just sweaty not so sexy.
Left ear is pretty mashed right now but dont want to shell out for doctor so will play it by ear (lol)

Anybody have any fights coming up?

deh

Postby deh » Thu May 13, 2010 1:25 pm

cheese wrote:Yeah that looked straight forward for a 3rd round. Courts round 2 domination was obvious. Nicely fixed up UFC keeping the favourite as prime contender...?

MMA judging is pretty terrible and inconsistant, they need a better system to judge the fights.. less credit for take downs and more credit to trying to finish the fight. Maybe a combination with the Pride rules would be good, but something has to be done.

cheese

Postby cheese » Fri May 14, 2010 9:37 am

takedowns need a scoring system themselves, less points for the lazy/tired uncontrolled ones. Full points for aggressive. Do they score any points for takedown defense?
I haven't seen many UFC close fights ruled the wrong way so not a huge deal. I do remember watching some K1 a few years back and there was an obvious bias to the local fighter. Really put me off it.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Fri May 14, 2010 10:37 am

In the UFC I have watched lately, there seems to be easy points in takedowns that dont particularly do much damage or give any obvious control to the aggressor. They might get into side control for a few seconds but dont capitilize, then it ends up being a gassed hugging fest until the ref stands them up.

cheese

Postby cheese » Fri May 14, 2010 11:15 am

Yeah saw quite a bit of that in cage rage yesterday. Had a couple of welterweights totally gassed in the first round and in the end the guy that was almost sleep fighting was leaning into the other guy and "taking him down" and would just lie on him. Ref standing them up every 30 seconds.
Thats the last I watch of that shit anyway. All the fights were slow & of poor quality. Every aspect of the production was just so wrong in every way. Just got painful to watch and switched off halfway through.

ragequit

Postby ragequit » Mon May 17, 2010 5:11 pm

What are everyone's favourite MMA events/fights? What should I watch?

:)

Edit: Just watched UFC52, ruled hard. Hughes vs Trigg was especially mean.
Last edited by ragequit on Mon May 17, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

primebeef

Postby primebeef » Mon May 17, 2010 7:15 pm

ragequit wrote:What are everyone's favourite MMA events/fights? What should I watch?

:)

I have been watching quite a few Bellator events lately and I have to say I quite like them. they just dont have quite the same amount of ego fueled idiots that the other promotions seem to suffer from.

Anyone else watch Strikeforce over the weekend? I really want to see Overeem fight in the US more. I know it would never happen at this stage but I think Overeem Vs Lesnar would be a good slugfest. Overeem would chop him down like a fucking tree :twisted:

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon May 17, 2010 7:31 pm

Any WEC is pretty much guaranteed to be good.

Didn't watch Strikeforce, might stream it later, can't say the result of the main event was that surprising.

Thoughts/opinions on Strikeforce? It feels so watered down and mainstream (for lack of a better word) to me.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon May 17, 2010 9:52 pm

kimura wrote:Anybody have any fights coming up?

Simon from The Managers and Inside Arkham has a K1 rules fight at the ABA on the 5th of June. He's been my main sparring partner for the best part of a decade. Some of youse (Dem and Gilly im looking at you) should come along.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

cheese

Postby cheese » Tue May 18, 2010 9:20 am

Watched some pride (korean mma) in the weekend for the first time. The crowds go dead silent for the start like they are watching golf or tennis. Really weird. Head stomps allowed which was a bit sore to see.
Some dude getting head kicked out cold KOed within 10 seconds of the first round was the highlight. very special.

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Tue May 18, 2010 11:19 am

I thought Pride was from Japan? or is this a new one.

Muay Thai fights or K1 are usually pretty good. You get technically skilled strikers that you wouldn't normally see in MMA events.

One of the best fights is the finale of TUF season one. Griffen vs Boner crazy as battle.
Last edited by Gronk on Wed May 19, 2010 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue May 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Yeah Pride has always been a Japanese thing. Was around well before UFC. Used to love watching guys like Igor Vovchanchin, Vanderlei Silva, Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman, Kazushi Sakuraba in Pride. Some classic old fights happened in that franchise.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Greg.

Postby Greg. » Tue May 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Pretty sure UFC is older than Pride?

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 am

Yeah first 'UFC' event was in 93 and was rugged as fuck. Pride kicked off in Japan in 97.

The Zuffa era of UFC - Dana White and the Fertitta brothers running the show started in 2001.

cheese

Postby cheese » Wed May 19, 2010 9:32 am

Yeh Pride is Japanese duhhh, sorry I meant Spirit MC. Based in South Korea but got similar rules to Pride.
And yeah the UFC is a few years older than Pride

Return to “Movies & TV”