The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Phlegethon

Re: MMA THREAD (UFC/WEC/STRIKEFORCE/DREAM ETC ETC)

Postby Phlegethon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 pm

what are the rules in novice MMA fights? knees to the head? elbows?
Last edited by Phlegethon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nails

Postby nails » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:10 pm

gilly do you do any kind of fighting?

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:47 pm

B class rules you cant punch to the head on the ground, no knees to the head, no knees on the ground and no elbows... Think there are more but those are the important ones
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

Phlegethon

Postby Phlegethon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Adam The Muss wrote:B class rules you cant punch to the head on the ground, no knees to the head, no knees on the ground and no elbows... Think there are more but those are the important ones

hahahaha yeah i guessed there were no knees to the head at this point:

Last edited by Phlegethon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nails

Postby nails » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:12 pm

haha Adam I jsut saw your avitar, never noticed it before.

kimura

Postby kimura » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Congrats on the win bro, checked out the vids.
Your training with Deney at Shuriken? Did Judo with her for a quite a while.

Anyone doing Contender Series 2???? thinking 50/50 myself.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Yeah I do.. she gave me a beat down just the other day. You would've seen her sweet as throw in her video then?

I thought about signing up from the contender but as you may be able to tell from my video my ground game is pretty average. Considering signing up to fight ICNZ10 in Palmy though.

Still got tickets for Pride of the Shore for anyone who's keen.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:25 pm

Yeah I do.. she gave me a beat down just the other day. You would've seen her sweet as throw in her video then?

I thought about signing up from the contender but as you may be able to tell from my video my ground game is pretty average. Considering signing up to fight ICNZ10 in Palmy though.

cheese

Postby cheese » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:15 pm

meaaaan VERA vs JONES on Monday
UFC Live & free to air on OneHD again :D :D :D
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:45 am

Anyone catch the UFC on Versus fights? I've only been able to track down the end of the Vera/Jones fight... fuckin hell that elbow was vicious.

Keen for Cain vs JDS to happen!

cheese

Postby cheese » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 am

Yeh watched all the fights last night.
Santos Vs Gonzaga wasn't bad but the others were slow/timeouts/mismatched hence there was no Fight of the night.
They broadcast perm card John Howard Vs Dan Roberts before vera/jones which was decent, but you didn't miss too much.
Bring on Sunday :D :D

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:41 pm

Not too suprised with the Versus main event results - I had Jones and Dos Santos picked.

That Jones elbow was sickening / awesome.

UFC 111 picks for Sunday (some of these are real hard to pick but hey..)

GSP over Hardy
Carwin over Mir
Saunders over Ellenberger
Fitch over Alves
Miller over Boceck

Stoked for this card!

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Same picks as Face. This is gonna be fucking awesome. Come party with us at 4 kings if you are a good cunt who's keen on MMA and want to chip in money for the booth we are paying for.

The Face

Postby The Face » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:26 am

Alves is out of the fitch fight (failed a cat scan)

It's now Saunders vs Fitch - in which case I pick Fitch.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:12 pm

My picks are the same but I have Mir taking Carwin. I'm real gutted about Alves being out of the fight, he's one of my favourite fighters and he hasn't fought since GSP destroyed him at UFC 100.

Looks like that elbow from Jones did a bit of damage..

Brandon Vera will undergo facial surgery on Thursday evening to correct a dislocated cheekbone incurred in his first-round defeat to Jon Jones at UFC on Versus 1 last Sunday, said his manager Matt Stansell.

In the light heavyweight bout, Jones took Vera down two times, then landed a left elbow directly to Vera’s face. The 32-year-old fighter spun to his knees for cover, as referee Herb Dean stepped in to halt the bout.

“It broke his cheekbone in three places and it’s sort of floating right now,” said Stansell on Thursday. “(The bone) is kind of laying on the muscle of the right eye, which is preventing Brandon from looking to his right, and it’s pushing his eyeball forward.”

Stansell said two plates will be inserted during the surgery to secure the bone back in place. Vera, who hails from his own Alliance Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif., hopes to return to grappling training in six to eight weeks. Stansell estimated it could take anywhere between four to six months before Vera will be medically cleared to spar again, though that timetable is determinant on the fighter’s recovery.

Stansell said Vera, a noted muay Thai stylist in the 205-pound ranks, is in positive spirits and anxious to return to competition as soon as he is cleared to.

“Brandon told the doctor to do whatever he needed to get him back in the cage as fast as he could,” said Stansell. “I’ve never seen him so motivated to get back to training and fighting before.”

Vera, who’s fought for the promotion since 2005, has been defeated in his last two Octagon appearances. After a strong four-fight start, he is now 7-5 for the promotion. Vera has at least three fights remaining on his current UFC contract, said a source.

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:36 am

GSP over Hardy in round 2-3 via tko

Carwin over Mir in round 1 (Although I'd like to see it go into round 2 and check out what Carwin has on the wrestling front)

Fitch over Saunders in via decision. (Really wanna see Fitch vs GSP again as Fitch is one of my favourites in that division)

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Sweet deal, second UFC card in a row i've picked all winners...

Those left uppercuts of Carwin on Mir... 8O 8O 8O

kimura

Postby kimura » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 am

Adam The Muss wrote:Yeah I do.. she gave me a beat down just the other day. You would've seen her sweet as throw in her video then?

Yeah man mean as throw, throws seem to be only good if you can capitalise on it with a good ground game and Deney has just that.

Have been pretty keen to have a go at ICNZ ( after i work my striking lol, its piss poor) leaving nz to train fulltime in japan for 5 months so Il have hoon on it when I get back and hopefully don't get knocked out before I can close the gap :(

Gutted about Carwin - Mir but GSP - Hardy was awesome, Hardy is officialy made of rubber or the liquid flexi steel from terminator
Anyone doing Palmy?

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:58 pm

UFC 111 showed how important wrestling is in MMA. Hardy and Saunders are both very good standing up but got taken to school by their respective opponents. You can't display your stand up when you can't stand up. haha

Definately have more respect for Hardy after nearly having his arm ripped off twice and not giving up. I think GSP didn't really want to break his arm which i think he probably could have with that kimura.

Also Carwin is a beast. Would be good to see him vs Velesquaz (spelling?) to decide the real no. 1 contender.

The Face

Postby The Face » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm

New series of Ultimate Fighter is actually looking to be good - had low expectations based on the fact I don't really give a shit about Chuck or Tito these days, but the prelim fights were excellent, including some nasty KO's and the worst broken nose of all time!

Lot of speculation about Tito possibly having to withdraw from this Season from Illness - we'll see.

Also, Fight Night 21 saw Kenny Florian pretty much destroy Gomi and Big Country Roy Nelson wreck Stevan Struve's shit right up. The size difference in those guys was freakshowish - but Nelson put him dude with a huge overhand right.

112 next weekend!

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:16 pm

TUF 11 does actually look quite good. Kinda surprised as I had written it off because of the coaches. That nose... holy shit!

I really wish a local channel would pick up the TUF series, maybe Sky box or something. If it proved to be popular it would be an excuse to pick up fight night and other UFC shows.

Picks for 112?

Anderson Silva vs Damian Maia
BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar
Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie
Terry Etim vs Rafael Dos Anjos
Kendal Grove vs Mark Munoz

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Anderson Silva
BJ Penn
Renzo Gracie (I just want him to win, hughes probably will though)
Terry Etim
Kendal Grove

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Just saw Fitch vs Alves is confirmed for 115

cheese

Postby cheese » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:06 pm

anyone see fight night on spike?
Roy Nelson KOin Stefan Struve in the first minute with an 11 inch reach disadvantage. Hes got some power for a fat bastard.

The Face

Postby The Face » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Anderson Silva vs Damian Maia
BJ Penn vs Frankie Edgar
Matt Hughes vs Renzo Gracie
Terry Etim vs Rafael Dos Anjos
Kendal Grove vs Mark Munoz

Title fights should be walks in the park for both champs (stranger things have happened though) - undercard is a bit unpredictable. Should be fun though. My main card picks were 100% for both 110 and 111 - fingers crossed!

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 am

Silva fight is going to be a good one, the man is a legend.
One of my favorite fighters to watch

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:41 am

I have to take Silva against Maia, but if you like Maia's chances then get to bodog.com and place a bet because he's +700 to win. Stranger things have happened (Forrest beating Shogun, Serra beating GSP)...

I'll also take BJ over anyone he fights (in his own weight class) as the dude is just amazing. Diego Sanchez is a great fighter and Penn made him look like an amateur. Frankie Edgar is good but he got this title shot by beating Sean Sherk a couple of fights ago and then beating Matt (who?) Veatch. How he got this shot is anyone's guess because Gray Maynard beat Edgar (as well as Nate Diaz, Roger Huerta, Jim Miller and Rich Clementi) and hasn't had a look in. Logic has never been the UFC's highest point, but this is a bit of a WTF.

I'm a bit gutted about Hughes vs Gracie as I hate Matt Hughes but don't see him losing this. Matt has made his career out of crowding BJJ dudes with good top control and winning a bunch of boring fights. I don't see Renzo having anything to trouble him. In fact, Renzo has done interviews talking about how he punches like a girl and the key to winning this fight is his guard. Renzo, please work some fucking takedown defense and striking because the only way to beat Matt is stop his takedowns then knock him the fuck out. I predict a boring fight with Hughes tea-bagging Renzo the whole time then thanking god in his post fight speech.

Rafael Dos Anjos is a beast but I like Terry Etim's chances. This is gonna be FOTN and I see Etim winning a hard fought decision.

I hope for a double KO with Munoz and Grove, but if that doesn't happen I'd settle for Kendall being put to sleep. Don't think it'll happen though. Grove by spastic looking technique of some kind.

On the undercard, I like Phil Davis, Paul Taylor, Nick ShitShack, anyone fighting DeMarques, Paul Kelly, and I'd like Mostapha Al Turk to at least have one fight when he doesn't get kicked in the nuts or poked in the eye. I think, however, that John Madsen will do both.

See you at 4Kings!

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:21 pm

BJ Penn defeated ?????? 8O 8O 8O - Congrats to F. Edgar, thats shit was amazing.

A. Silva via snoozefest - had him in round 1 and maybe 2, but then danced around like Richard Symonds on E... Unconvincing win.

Both my Munoz and Penn picks were wrong - meh, I'm still 13-2 for main card picks in the last 3 ppv's - roll on Machida vs Shogun 2!

deh

Postby deh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:25 am

disgusting decision on the penn fight + anderson silvas fight ruined this ppv for me.

http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Edgar-Penn.html

just fuckin disgusting how these judges can sit there and even come up with a 45-50 score for that fight.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:27 pm

It was definately 48-47 (could have gone either way) - like you say, 50-45 was disgraceful.

MMA needs a judging overhaul.

Return to “Movies & TV”