The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
The Face

The Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Postby The Face » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 am

Yeah, we've got the numbers and deserve our own thread. :fist:
Last edited by The Face on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimura

Re: MMA THREAD (UFC/WEC/STRIKEFORCE/DREAM ETC ETC)

Postby kimura » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:26 pm

As long as it dosnt degenerate to the level of Sherdog's message board :lol:

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Just watched the latest WEC event. Appart from the commentators (Frank Mir repeats the same thing over and over "this fighter is explosive" is his favourite) i prefer this over the UFC.

The fighters are usually fitter and go hard the full 3 rounds. The ground game is more exciting as well because they are less likely to try and catch some rest.

primebeef

Postby primebeef » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:56 pm

Gronk wrote:Just watched the latest WEC event. Appart from the commentators (Frank Mir repeats the same thing over and over "this fighter is explosive" is his favourite) i prefer this over the UFC.

Mir is still a lot less annoying than Joe Rogan. Rogan spends all his time sucking on Eddie Bravo's dick. Im sick of hearing about how everything is "almost rubber guard" and all his twister crap. Bravo and his whole system is overrated IMO

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:09 pm

I'm sick of hearing "right on the button" every time there is a fuckin knock out.

Does anyone actually train for MMA or go to local events?

I've been training for a couple of months now and it's pretty full on. The fitness required is intense, you can easily see how some of the guys get gased so quickly. Also went to my first local fight on Saturday. The A and B class fights were pretty average because there's so many more rules eg B class you cant strike to the head when they're on the ground, which more or less eliminated ground and meant it was just two dudes rolling round on the ground not really doing much. None of them really wanted to stand up and bang either. The pro class fight was wicked though, both dudes ended up looking ugly as fuck afterwards.

Anyone looking at heading to Sydney for UFC 110?
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

kimura

Postby kimura » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:33 pm

I train Judo, my biggest problem when competing is just huge build up of lactic acid especially when you can go through 8 fights in a day..

a few of my mates have gone MMA ( Doug either is or was ICNZ champ..or maybe just current contender) But my striking sucks hard, not looking to get into MMA as im seeing how things pan out with grappling, but might have a hoon later on.

If anyones keen for a roll though let me know, open sessions on Sat's

Ol Gronk is known for being a very skilled Tai Chi practicioner, but its apparantly too deadly to use in a fight. :lol:

primebeef

Postby primebeef » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:33 pm

Hey Kimura where are your open mat sessions??
I might be keen sometime. I find it good to roll with people new to me, they show me new flaws in my game lol

kimura

Postby kimura » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:54 pm

primebeef wrote:Hey Kimura where are your open mat sessions??
I might be keen sometime. I find it good to roll with people new to me, they show me new flaws in my game lol

Saturdays 1000-1400, Just bring a Gi - 6 Woodhill Road , Epsom - theres also training Mon/Wed/Fri with at least 45 min sparring ontop of structured class but youl need to pay feez for that.

Whats your experience level bro? If your fairly advanced theres also training on the Shore 1500-1700 on Sat, non stop Randori/Sparring/Rolling/Whatever buzzword people are using haha.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:56 pm

There's a gym in Porirua training and putting on MMA shows - will have to check it out.

ruff

Postby ruff » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:11 pm

Was training out of Strikeforce in New Lynn for a short time. Moved houses and just sorted a new gym in Morningside so train myself out of there. My younger brother is a skilled pad coach so I train with him when I can. Will get back to classes in the new year. Need to find a good place for my ground game though, anyone suggest something in the kingsland / morningside / mt eden sort of areas? ETK an ok place?

What sux is there's a womans fighters gym 30seconds walk from my flat - was thinking of seeing if i could pass myself off as a butch lessy so I could train from there.

Strikeforce Supremecy is probably the fight night you guys are talking about? Was meant to book a table but totally fucked up the timing. Be keen to do it next time theres a bigger event with some punka crew involved.

erinfection

Postby erinfection » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Adam The Muss wrote:Anyone looking at heading to Sydney for UFC 110?

I'm thinking about it. But not keen on a heavyweight main event. I wonder if Bruce Buffer would come? His shit cracks me up.
BLUEPOWERADE wrote:If you havent set a brown eel free you havent lived.

primebeef

Postby primebeef » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:27 pm

Face if you mean Lockdown MMA in Porirua http://www.mixedmartialarts.co.nz then you should definitely check it out. I have seen a couple of their guys compete and they have had some good skills

Kimura my skill level with Judo is minimal lol but its something i really want to work on.
I do bjj and feel it would accompany it nicely. Any chance you do any newaza? :wink:

primebeef

Postby primebeef » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 pm

ruff wrote: Need to find a good place for my ground game though, anyone suggest something in the kingsland / morningside / mt eden sort of areas? ETK an ok place?

ETK only do one MMA session a week and its no gi and probably not enough ground work for you. Kula who takes the classes is a very good purple belt in bjj. Hes fucking huge too so you better start shrimp practice now.

The closest place I can think of for ground work would behttp://www.douglasjiujitsu.co.nz and everyone that I know that goes there loves it and their training is top notch

kimura

Postby kimura » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:54 am

Primebeef, Yeah we do alot of Newaza, its more towards Kosen Judo which is 60 ish percent ground fighting - Had quite a few Bjj dudes come through, also have alot of Russian immigrant Sambo players some of who bring a bit of a different style to it.

UFC 110 card looks mean as, cant afford to head over :(

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:10 am

I've been training at Strikeforce New Lynn for about 10 or so months. Only in Muay Thai but i hear the MMA classes are pretty good.

The Supremacy events have been real good so far. There's a Muay thai night on 12/12 at the YMCA. Will be a couple of title fights so should be all good.

Watch out for Kimura i hear he like's to teabag his uke.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:03 am

Picks for UFC 107?

I reckon..

BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez = BJ Penn
Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo = Cheick Kongo
Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce = Jon Fitch
Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida = Kenny Florian
Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve = Stefan Struve
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:41 am

Penn
Mir
Fitch
Florian
Struve
Last edited by The Face on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:54 am

Not surprising that he won but he didnt impress me that much. I dont see how a guy with a physique like that can compete at such a high level in MMA.

Not a bad knock out

I see Kimbo won too.. I wonder what they plan to do with him now. After 4 straight losses I'd say Houston Alexander wont be round for much longer.

I'll be downloading the finale tonight if it's finally ended up online.

Gronk

Postby Gronk » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:11 pm

UFC 107 - I agree With face's choices, don't see Congo Beating Mir. Although i would enjoy seeing that guy get another beat down.

Watched Kimbo's fight this morning. 1st round was a joke with Alexander continuously circling around the octagon. Looked a bit afraid to ingage. 2nd round was better, Kimbo even scoring a couple of take downs and a submission atempt. 3rd round they both were tired, and Kimbo started eating some leg kicks.

deh

Postby deh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:45 pm

kimbos takedowns were pretty awesome, bummer about his knee tho, got one good kick to and he dropped. needed to work more on his ring control aswell, letting alexander just circle around the ring for an entire round was zzzzzzz, alexander will be released by the ufc asap.

awesome win for big country, glad he took out the finale and in great fashion. the only other fight that was decent was the hamil / jones fight, jones looking so impressive after each fight, can see him taking the belt in a couple of years and having a decent reign.

Picks for 107
BJ Penn vs. Diego Sanchez
Frank Mir vs. Cheick Kongo
Kenny "Ken Flo" Florian vs. Clay "The Carpenter" Guida
Jon Fitch vs. Mike Pierce
Paul Buentello vs. Stefan Struve
Wilson Gouveia vs. Alan Belcher
Matt Wiman vs. Shane Nelson
Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks
Rousimar Palhares vs. Lucio Linhares
DaMarques Johnson vs. Edgar Garcia
Kevin Burns vs. TJ Grant

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Gronk wrote:UFC 107 - I agree With face's choices, don't see Congo Beating Mir. Although i would enjoy seeing that guy get another beat down.

Kongo is alright on his feet (especially his patented kicks/knees to the balls) but is fucking rubbish on his back, where I suspect this one is going. That being said, any chance I get to watch Frank Mir get donged in the face, I'll take.

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:52 pm

The Face wrote:There's a gym in Porirua training and putting on MMA shows - will have to check it out.

Yeah as primebeef said that club is Lockdown MMA, the training is held in the cage at the Alpha/Rex Redden fight club (kickboxing club) who have put on the shows out there which have had some MMA fights. Gareth is an awesome trainer with heaps of experience in all areas of MMA (Striking/Wrestling/BJJ). NZ heavy weight Leamy Tato trains there also, with quite a few top guys passing through time to time. Just started back there after just under a year off with a broken elbow. Definitely recommend it.

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:55 pm

phaedrus wrote:
Adam The Muss wrote:Does anyone actually train for MMA or go to local events?

I'm pretty sure garyasfulla does... also pretty sure he fought a couple weeks ago and got disqualified for punchin a dude in the face when he wasn't meant to :)

haha that was a Kyokushin fight. Had only sparred that style once so an over hand right was inevitable :(

deh

Postby deh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:42 am

finally got around to watching K-1 World GP. Pretty exciting this year, lots of 1st round ko's but unlucky for Badr getting toy'd in the final. So glad to see Overeem get destroyed.

Cant wait for Penn vs Sanchez! Then strikeforce next week with melendez vs thompson.. 155lbs where its at

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 am

Should be some good fights today.. keen as.

Houston Alexander has been released from UFC now. Dan Hardy vs. GSP has been announced for March 27th.. thoughts?

The Face

Postby The Face » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:32 am

Adam The Muss wrote:Should be some good fights today.. keen as.

Houston Alexander has been released from UFC now. Dan Hardy vs. GSP has been announced for March 27th.. thoughts?

Houston being released, couldn't care less to be honest.

Hardy is going to get destroyed.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:32 pm

The Face wrote:There's a gym in Porirua training and putting on MMA shows - will have to check it out.

Did you suss it? Couple of my Muay Thai training crew do MMA, but think somewhere else (maybe even in the hutt?). Will ask em where they train.

Contender Asia Season 2 shooting at the mo yay!

deh

Postby deh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:43 am

bj penn completely toy'd sanchez, holy shit. if it wasnt for tony robbins im sure diego would of ran away after the first 2 rounds. so good to see a focused bj penn. check out the fightmetric stats (http://www.fightmetric.com/fights/Penn-Sanchez.html). Amazing.. Diego landed only 7 strikes compared to BJ's 150..

Mir was impressive, im not really a fan of his but its good that hes starting to back his talk. Improving so much after each fight, pretty good to see.

KenFlo looked good once warmed up, glad he finished Lay Guida. Never thought id see someone so pumped to The Used.
Belcher fight was sick, Johnsons up kick to triangle choke was mean.

Bring on Melendez vs Thomson

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:55 am

I like Hardy but he's definitely going to get picked apart by GSP.

I can't believe Sanchez made it to the 5th round, I thought it was all over in the 1st. That was just a 5 round sparring session for BJ.

Gutted Mir didn't get knocked out but not a bad win for him. He's so desperate for a rubber match with Lesnar that it's almost sad.

Buentello knocking down Struve mid flying knee was awesome.

That triangle was ridiculous! Johnson had it on so quick and the dude had no choice but to tap immediately. I'm a huge fan of triangles and that one was wicked.

The Face

Postby The Face » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 am

Penn
Mir
Fitch
Florian
Struve

100%, jus sayin.

Good card!

Sanchez is legit mental - he never looked good in this fight, and that cut on his head was fucking huge!!

Return to “Movies & TV”