District 9 (Movie)

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
snuff
Information Highway Patrol

District 9 (Movie)

Postby snuff » Thu May 07, 2009 10:51 am

Popped up couple times in the 'what you looking forward to '09' thread, really deserves it's own imo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQGHK8ofGU[/youtube]

There's an unblurred/subbed ver. around but I couldn't get it to embed unfort.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

combatrock

Re: District 9 (Movie)

Postby combatrock » Thu May 07, 2009 11:30 am

Heh.

Looks good though.

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Thu May 07, 2009 11:56 am

I'm intrigued from the initial trailers, I'll keep an eye on it for sure.

If the trailer you posted is the one I saw last week I think it's awesome how they blurred out the face of the alien to hide it's identity.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu May 07, 2009 12:50 pm

It looks pretty interesting, even if it also kinda looks exactly like V/Alien Nation shot documentary style.

To get a better idea of it, check out Neil Blomkamp's original short that led to it all, Alive in Johannesburg:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5GZpD6nmUI[/youtube]

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Thu May 07, 2009 4:33 pm

This movie WILL be awesome. Take my word for it.

Seb

distilledwater

Postby distilledwater » Fri May 08, 2009 10:57 am

Alive in Joburg is mean. District 9 looks awesome. my sound isn't working at the moment but keen to see the new uncensored video.

cirE

Postby cirE » Mon May 11, 2009 10:00 am

dig this concept

love how it's set in south africa lmao
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

Sebaz

Postby Sebaz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:29 pm

New Theatrical Trailer released!

http://www.district9movie.com/

blinky_codswallop

Postby blinky_codswallop » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:00 pm

oh man do i hope this is as good as it seems like it could be

tyrannosaurus mark

Postby tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:33 pm

cirE wrote:dig this concept

love how it's set in south africa lmao

But it's about apartheid, if it was set anywhere else it'd probably be too cryptic for everyone except Mandela
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

cirE

Postby cirE » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:54 pm

i just saw this

FUCKING AWESOME

0.21 6.78 3.31

cirE

Postby cirE » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:09 pm

GRAVITY GUN PICKING UP A LIVE PIG AND LAUNCHING IT TO KNOCK A MOTHERFUCKER OVER

BAM

DEBRIS FLYING EVERYEHWRE

I"M NOT EVEN MAKING THIS UP

0.21 6.78 3.31

cirE

Postby cirE » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:17 pm

also there are nigerian gangsters occupying district 9

they trade food with the aliens for their weapons/technology

badass looking motherfuckers

district 9 pretty much looks like that picture but with alien slumdogs

0.21 6.78 3.31

YouAgain

Postby YouAgain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:18 pm

cant wait to see this tomorrow!!!

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:39 pm

A giant alien spaceship has made it to Earth and, as all giant alien ships tend to do, has decided to hover over a city. Because it's impossible to parallel-park a bitch roughly the size of your average mountain. But this spaceship has decided to hover over...Johannesburg.

When the investigation reveals the ship is full of malnourished, desperate aliens, it becomes apparent they need to be re-housed on Earth. With international eyes focussed and early signs of racism as the aliens are given the somewhat denigrating name, "prawns", it is decided the best force to deal with the situation is the South African Government. Because, hey, they've never got the integration of different races wrong before, have they?

Wikus hoped desperately his backstage pass would work - this was one blowjob he wasn't keen to give

District 9 kicks off in this situation as the unimaginatively-named weapons manufacturer Multi-National United are charged with re-housing the aliens from an overpopulated slum called 'district 9' to a tent city 200km away called 'Happy Fun Place'. Nah, just kidding, it's 'district 10'. Probably not a lot of sleep lost on coming up with that name.

Newly-promoted to head the operation is Wikus Van De Merwe (Sharlto Copley), a beneficiary of obvious nepotism given he is both a bit of a twat AND is married to the daughter of the balding, besuited CEO of the company who might as well have EVIL BUSINESSMAN in large print above him whenever he is onscreen.

"Fence needs to be a little higher, lads. Maybe about two miles higher..."

The operation hits a snag on the first day when Wikus discovers an alien metal tube, the likes of which he has not seen before. With a cry of, "Look at me! I'm Jenna Jameson!" he lets the strange cylinder spray goo all over his face and so begins a sickness that quickly leads to him being the most wanted fugitive on the planet since Harrison Ford chased a cripple.

Former visual effects man Neill Blomkamp was tapped by Peter Jackson to helm the Halo movie and, when that fell through, Jackson encouraged him to work on a feature-length version of Blomkamp's SFX showreel short film Alive in Jo'Burg. Unsurprisingly, the effects in District 9 are spectacular, with CG work integrated smoothly into live action even during the shakiest 'gritty' camera work.

He knew his wife was insatiable, but Wikus wondered if he'd maybe gone too far buying the UltraPlunger 5000...

More surprising, though, is the rollicking and morally grey plot that unfolds as Wikus changes from being a bit of a bastard ("That popping sound you hear...it is the little babies bursting in the heat.") to realising that the aliens do not deserve the treatment humans have been so quick to deal out.

Despite its premise, the film does little preaching - it offers no solutions, only that separatism is a pretty shit idea. The focus is more on the carnage, particularly in the last reel where heads are torn off, bodies are exploded, limbs are hacked away, ships fly, mech suits wreak havoc and plenty of stuff blows up. Somewhere, you just know Peter Jackson is dreaming of lawnmowers cutting through zombies (indeed, one familiar face from Braindead does sneak in a cameo). It is also very much like a videogame with its different weapons and power-ups. I half-expected a bonus level for Wikus after he fought his way through a 'boss' character.

The years were beginning to take their toll on Dave Dobbyn.

But through it all, a strong performance from debutant Copley anchors it all, wringing sympathy from a character who begins about as far from sympathetic as possible. For someone with a background in visual FX, Blomkamp also shows a canny sense for knowing when to let the flashy stuff just sit in the background.

The only misstep may be the presence of a bunch of human gangsters within District 9, exploiting the aliens there and generally being bastards. Barely a minute goes by without some character or other reminding the audience that these savages who practice prostitution, extortion and witchcraft are 'Nigerians', as if that explains everything.

There may be surface similarities to Alien Nation and V, but this is a very different beast. Gritty yet packed with eye-popping moments, District 9 is one of the 21st century's finest sci-fi flicks and hopefully heralds the arrival of a new, original voice on the scene.

Tacotistk
trendy hipster

Postby Tacotistk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Just back from this. Absolutely amazing. Haven't read Matts review yet but I bet it sums it up well.
One of the best pieces of film-making I've seen in a long time, across the board. Funny how Peter Jacksons name's the first thing you see, and as complete film, it beats the living shit out of everything he's made.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Tacotistk wrote:Just back from this. Absolutely amazing.

Definitely agree!

Tacotistk wrote:Funny how Peter Jacksons name's the first thing you see, and as complete film, it beats the living shit out of everything he's made.

Definitely disagree! Haha!

Tacotistk
trendy hipster

Postby Tacotistk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm basing that one the fact I can't really fault district 9. There's one plot point that seems a bit vague, but other than that... can't say the same for PJ.
I def think he's made great films, but this just feels like a far far more cohesive and complete work. Clearly Neil has been thinking about this film, and working on the backstory for a long long time, given the Alive in Joburg short, and it shows in this film. A very vividly realised, and utterly believable alternate modern reality.

Given the ehhhh factor of King Kong, and how much of a "greatest hits" the Lovely Bones trailer makes that film look (ooh heavenly creatures and the frighteners jammed together with a hallmark card. neat.) like a pile of toss, I guess I've lost a bit of a faith in the dude.
Granted I may eat those words.... but I'm really not fussed on that film at all after seeing that.... Anyone here willing to admit they've read the book? does the trailer actually give away the bulk of the film? It'll still make a 400 million dollars though, so fuck me, right.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:06 pm

Oh, I totally agree on King Kong. And I have read the book of The Lovely Bones and actually wasn't the biggest fan of it, so I'm not too interested in the movie - even though the movie makes it look a lot more about a serial killer hunt than it was in the book.

I thought there were some problems for me with District 9, but I think that with all films. Still thought it was great! Will definitely buy the DVD.

blinky_codswallop

Postby blinky_codswallop » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:09 pm

fun review to read!

cant really disagree with too much, felt it went from strength to strength, with a lull with the "buddy"/kid plot tangent, but it built on that and ended with, well, pretty much fucking Rambo meets Aliens really.. nice to see a flick not shy away from the gun-ups... you can tell they were itching to put all that Halo-tech to use... not sure if it lived up to the premise that it established early though... when it seemed to be at the crossroads between a more careful, full blown sci fi drama, and an actioner, it chose the way of many bullets....but yeah, ended strong nevertheless... really hope they dont do a shite sequel

i think i wanted more Africa from this, i mean, beyond the stereotyping that sometimes came across (as mentioned in the review here)... but its not about that i guess?... District 9 almost plays like an ipod shuffle version of movies that you've seen, or elements of movies... thinking of Enemy Mine and the Fly and Return of the Living Dead... and all the other movies that people are casting it alongside...anyway, at least a few prawn heads above the schlock that passes for sci fi/storytelling these days

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 am

Absolutely amazing film. It's great to see the slick effects wizardry of something like Transformers without ramming it down your throat and up your ass, not that I mind a cg spit roast from time to time.

How rad was the interface design haha. like the blue screen inside the ship and the suit. so cool. that should be my job. might hit up p.j.

Tacotistk
trendy hipster

Postby Tacotistk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:39 pm

those displays were awesomely done. It was boggling my mind a bit just how fiddly that would've been to do, the animation of the creatures was so fluid, and the interface interactions were really seamless. The only time the CG looked slightly ropey to me was in the wide shots of prawns, but by the end of the film I'd forgotten they weren't real at all.

also, a couple of interesting interview went up on the AV Club yesterday with the director and lead actor. Def worth a read if you enjoy the film. What amazed and humbles the fuck out of me is that Neill had apparently given the whole endeavour far less thought that I'd assumed. He's a freakin genius, or their crew is, or both.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 pm

Tacotistk wrote:also, a couple of interesting interview went up on the AV Club yesterday with the director and lead actor.

Sweet find, man!

Neill Blomkamp wrote:We were also dealing with lots of improv. Like Sharlto’s character doesn’t say one word that was written. That’s all improvised.

Wow. Sounds like the lead actor deserves a LOT of credit for it all. I thought some of the lines were subtly clever (he calls the main alien "man" at the end of a lot of sentences towards the end, which he didn't do earlier on).

Actually, how refreshing was it to watch something like that and not hear a single American accent?

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Another thing i liked about the movie was how it transitioned between narrative styles. From 'doco 1st person' style talking directly to the camera to 3rd person. I assumed that was going to be a problem watching the first scenes of the movie and thought they would lose some sense of realism but that wasn't the case.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:30 pm

Actually, I wasn't sure the 'documentary' part added anything at all and felt it kinda distanced the audience from the lead character at the start. It felt just like a hangover from Alive In Jo'Burg.

It wasn't bad or anything, I just felt it would've been better as a straight cinematic-style film. Although I guess it could be argued that the styles changing signified Wikus' infection.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:32 pm

Good interviews, but I had to quickly close it before I read the spoiler at the end. Was just going to download this, but looks as though it might be worth going to the cinema for.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Tacotistk
trendy hipster

Postby Tacotistk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Def worth a trip to the flicks.

I too liked the transition between doco/news footage/interviews/cinema ... it felt really seamless to me. It played a big part in grounding the film in a reality. Would feel completely different without them

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:09 pm

Tacotistk wrote:
I too liked the transition between doco/news footage/interviews/cinema ... it felt really seamless to me. It played a big part in grounding the film in a reality. Would feel completely different without them

I'm terrible at quickly articulating shit on the internet but yeah... what taco said.

And Aidan, see it at the movies.

Akuma
TOHLG™

Postby Akuma » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Matt wrote:Actually, I wasn't sure the 'documentary' part added anything at all and felt it kinda distanced the audience from the lead character at the start.

i think the audience was distanced from him at the start because he seemed fairly unlikeable, using 'racist' terms for the aliens and laughing about the popping babies etc.

cirE

Postby cirE » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Tacotistk wrote:tThe only time the CG looked slightly ropey to me was in the wide shots of prawns

bit racial :?

0.21 6.78 3.31

Return to “Movies & TV”