Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 2

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Normf

Re: Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 2

Postby Normf » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 pm

I think people who like it don't really dig or haven't seen the firts two movies, or just like the chicks in it. Lol, but each to their own i guess.
Drop out of life with bong in hand

Follow the smoke to the riff-filled land

LegDog

Postby LegDog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 pm

Rude Mike wrote:Really? I thought it completely contradicted the first 2 movies.. You know, in the sense of flicking back and fowards in time and wasting precious time that could be used for destruction etc..

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

I think the third movie contradicts the first two movies. You know, the first two were all about "there is no fate but what we make" whereas the third is all "everything's predetermined - there is no way to avoid Skynet's inevitable takeover" etc. That, aside from almost entirely ditching the dark mood of the first two and trying to make it "funny", is a big part of what I think made the third film kinda shit.

The Sarah Connor Chonicles, however, takes place before that realisation, so it doesn't reneg yet on what was a pretty central theme to the second film.
The Real JeffJack wrote:Dude I am a legend on here, your just a suprise kinder chocolate with a gay toy at the end of the munch.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 am

LegDog wrote:
Rude Mike wrote:Really? I thought it completely contradicted the first 2 movies.. You know, in the sense of flicking back and fowards in time and wasting precious time that could be used for destruction etc..

I think the third movie contradicts the first two movies. You know, the first two were all about "there is no fate but what we make" whereas the third is all "everything's predetermined - there is no way to avoid Skynet's inevitable takeover" etc. That, aside from almost entirely ditching the dark mood of the first two and trying to make it "funny", is a big part of what I think made the third film kinda shit.

The Sarah Connor Chonicles, however, takes place before that realisation, so it doesn't reneg yet on what was a pretty central theme to the second film.

I think its more that the first two movies had hope, but even before you see the third film you get the impression that its not that simple and maybe there is no way to stop it, only postpone the inevitable.

I really didnt think the third movie was that bad, and it did really well to round everything off in a sensible way.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:15 pm

Actually, I felt the logic of the third was quite good - although it was obviously a balls movie.

The second is the one that stuffed it up for me. "Oh, it's cool, we just stopped the war, Hoooray!" "Wait, then who was that metal bloke who killed all those people?"

Then the third basically said, "Ah, they were wrong, the war happens anyway..." So the series still made (convoluted) sense.

The second also did that whole "We built the Terminator from, uh, bits of a Terminator" paradox that they edited out of the first film (I assume because it's really silly?).

I think the Sarah Connor TV series is far better than it has any right to be, but I've found myself losing a bit of interest in the second series. It might be a combination of knowing the plot ultimately is still going to always be ROBOMAN IS CHASING JOHN and the fucking skull-crushingly terrible acting of Shirley Manson. Honestly, how did that happen? Did the producers try to clear a Garbage track and were told, "Only if you cast our singer..."?

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:22 pm

maybe this would fix mike's need for balls out action and make him like summer glau a bit more... fuck, i'd watch it.

dream comfort memory despair

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 pm

That reminds me of Versus. A few lines of dialogue at the start, then 120 minutes of swords, guns and zombies mashing seventeen types of shit out of each other in black trenchcoats.

beef666
<3 tofu

Postby beef666 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:27 pm

Matt wrote:That reminds me of Versus. A few lines of dialogue at the start, then 120 minutes of swords, guns and zombies mashing seventeen types of shit out of each other in black trenchcoats.

Fuck yeah Versus ruled.
http://www.myspace.com/abortedchristians666

dimery wrote: no beef with nobody, down for whatever, smoke weed every day

Lurch wrote:Zane has a secret Fred Durst shrine in his room. True story.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:32 pm

You reckon? I got pretty bored after an hour and turned it off. You can only slice up someone so many times before it becomes kinda dull.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

LegDog

Postby LegDog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Yeah, some good points made. Time-travel paradoxes aside, I always felt the ending to the third may as well have been, "It was all just a dream!". They just seemed to develop one time-travel scenario only to completely flip the coin and adopt another in part three. The more I think about it, the more I concede it's a good way to progress the story. I guess it was just executed poorly in a clumsy movie.
The Real JeffJack wrote:Dude I am a legend on here, your just a suprise kinder chocolate with a gay toy at the end of the munch.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:34 pm

I think its more the fact that they thought it would stop it, but it didnt. If it had then the terminators wouldnt come back anyway.

Aidan

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Fuck yes.
I really want Cameron to turn on them and wipe them out or kill that bitch from Garbage, either will do. Fuck the haters I really like this programme.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:07 pm

The thing that pissed me off about last weeks ep was the whole subplot with the traitor. They cut off the kids fingers, but the version of him from the future had sweet as hands. He also didn't fucking remember being kidnapped, tortured, and meeting his future self as a young man, something I'm pretty sure you'd fucking well remember.

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:11 pm

LegDog wrote:

Yea i get wat u mean about the whole pre-determined thing. All I can really say now is, yes I do love movies where everyone dies and/or gets mamed horribly and in those movies I have to say I don't actually pay much attention to similarities between movies/fuck ups etc I just enjoy blood and fire.
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:13 pm

So you're dumb? Makes sense.

May I suggest Diehard 4.0, it has fancy technology AND guns.

Aidan

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:19 pm

no i just like explosions WITH a plot that actually makes sense.. i gota say yes i'm being quite biased against this show because every time i watch it i end up falling asleep half way through.. but who cares hahahahahhahaa not me i'm just a critic
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:10 pm

geneterror wrote:Fuck the haters I really like this programme.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:31 am

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:27 pm

and they just made the whole time travel thing even more shit, having that one terminator time travel over 100 years (wasn't there a limit?). i mean, they excused it because of pretending it was an accident, what's an accident is their writing and the fact the terminator didn't just kill all of john connors possible ancestors.

still enjoying the show, this episode was just particularily stupid.

snuff

Postby snuff » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:26 am

Nah that was fuckin awesome.

Really dug the whole Cameron hanging out in the library after hours thing, and then finding that dude behind the wall with the tommy gun???

AHAHAHHAHAHAH that was fuckin funny as!

snuff

Postby snuff » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 am

Fuck I love this show.

The last 4 or so eps have been so, so good.

The whole John Henry storyline is progressing real well, didn't see that bit with Derek coming.

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:55 am

Haha yeah the Derek bit was a huge surprise, even more of a surprise was that it barely even got a mention afterwards.

Can't wait to see where this John Henry storyline goes.

BanalityDUFF

Postby BanalityDUFF » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 am

i havent watched it since the episode where that flying dude comes out of the water and they all stand there. i think at least.

i stopped cause it was getting average.

does it get better enough again that its worthing downing to catch up? i mean i liked it heaps but got yawn fested out by it

kimura

Postby kimura » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:50 pm

Love this show,

though would like to see more development on john connor -cameron romance.

snuff

Postby snuff » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Get it Rubes, I was getting down on it as well but fuck me the last eps have been awesome as fuck.

snuff

Postby snuff » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Fuck that last ep was a good spin, ties the canon together real well.

LegDog

Postby LegDog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:01 am

So, yeah, the good word is that this show won't be continued past the end of this season :x

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:19 am

Fuck! Where did you read that? One of my favourite of the current U.S programmes.
Although I couldn't see it going anywhere good with that season ending to be honest. We would get a series where we follow Sarah Conner around without John doing what exactly? Doesn't sound very interesting. I mean they can't really focus completely on John in the future, it is called The Sarah Conner Chronicles not The John Conner Chronicles. Also John jumping into the future really fucks the timeline...ah screw it I just never got to see Cameron completely lose the plot and kill them all :evil:

LegDog

Postby LegDog » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:40 am

I read it here:

http://au.tv.ign.com/articles/972/972713p1.html

But yeah, could be for the best...

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:14 pm

It's pretty shitty if it doesn't get another season imo, thought it picked up wickedly after Riley got killed lol.

How do you reakon it fucks the timeline Grizz?

Like, it's always been assumed that 'older' John Connor lead the resistance, but maybe not...

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:44 pm

snuff wrote:picked up wickedly after Riley got killed lol.

Hell yeah, I hated that bitch.

snuff wrote:How do you reakon it fucks the timeline Grizz?

Like, it's always been assumed that 'older' John Connor lead the resistance, but maybe not...

I guess you're right in the respect we're assuming that the 'older' John Conner leads the resistance so I could be wrong. I just assumed he jumped into the future as a 'nobody' thus isn't important and wouldn't be worth sending a Terminator back in time for in the first place. But looking at the timeline to closely in Terminator has always been a bad idea.
It's a shit place to leave it though if there isn't going to be a new series. Hopefully the new movie does well and sparks off some interest in the series again.

Return to “Movies & TV”