What have you recently watched?

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Kerry

Re: What have you recently watched?

Postby Kerry » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Burnt - Garbage.
Bridge of Spies - Enjoyed this actually. Not bad.
Legend - Fantastic.
Revenant - Yeah it was mean as.
Bone Tomahawk - Pretty cool.
Sicario - Gnarly. Thought it was good.
The Hateful Eight - Great. Fucking long. But great.

has anyone seen the new star trek movie. the one with r2dpo
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:29 pm

snuff wrote:
PertHJ wrote:
Dan Last wrote:
The Revenant - I really enjoyed this. Like a gritty reboot of Dead Man. The landscape really does a lot of the work, just breath taking.

Watched this the other day, great film. I don't really get the deadman comparison (other than the general setting)

This was my film of 2015, they shot some of it like 45mins down the road from me - I remember when the extras call went out but I couldn't do it due to visa restrictions :( That scene where Leo encounters two grizz cubs, that happened to me. I was on a mission with my headphones in and came around a corner in the path to two of the fuckers, shat my pants... Ran back and around them and snapped a pic before I could see if their Mum was around ha.

been looking forward to this, as im familiar with the story of hugh glass.
when was it released? not that keen on sitting in a theatre anymore, il probably wait til it comes out on dvd.
bit disappointed that leo plays glass, i assumed it would be tom hardy, nothing against dicaprio or his acting ability, just thought the role would be right for hardy, seems that the story is heavily exaggerated, but still looking forward to it, il probably be a very annoying cunt to watch it with, "nah that didnt happen like that!"
"Look how happy he is"

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:21 pm

Subcide wrote:Ex Machina

Awesome!

Agreed with everyone.. Great film.

You can actually stay in the hotel in SW Norway. Fucking beautiful part of the world.
Haven't stayed there but that area is spectacular
Juvet landscape hotel

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:10 pm

9seconds wrote:[q
when was it released? not that keen on sitting in a theatre anymore, il probably wait til it comes out on dvd.
bit disappointed that leo plays glass, i assumed it would be tom hardy, nothing against dicaprio or his acting ability, just thought the role would be right for hardy, seems that the story is heavily exaggerated, but still looking forward to it, il probably be a very annoying cunt to watch it with, "nah that didnt happen like that!"

Thought dicaprio did a real good job, did hard as nails real well.

nearly impossible to get english versions of movies over here so I downloaded it - There's a screener leaked on the torrents.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:12 pm

9seconds wrote:

It's up on piratebay, but i wish i seen it at the cinema, it's really stunning. I think the story has been altered quite a bit.

Like i don't think he had a son who died, and he forgave the Tom Hardy character in real life.

Gotta bring that drama!

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:09 am

Livestock wrote:
Subcide wrote:Ex Machina

Awesome!

Agreed with everyone.. Great film.

You can actually stay in the hotel in SW Norway. Fucking beautiful part of the world.
Haven't stayed there but that area is spectacular
Juvet landscape hotel

That's awesome! Gunna add staying there to the bucket list!
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:27 am

Window Licker wrote:It's up on piratebay
Getting a prerls screener off a public tracker, fuck if ever there was a giant flashing neon honeypot sign.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:56 am

snuff wrote:
Getting a prerls screener off a public tracker, fuck if ever there was a giant flashing neon honeypot sign.

:?: what? you mean the law or whatever?

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:10 am

Christiane F. – Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo

In light of Bowie's death, and living in Berlin, I was recommended this. (Bowie features and composed the soundtrack.) Good watch!

Full movie with English subs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian ... ahnhof_Zoo
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:37 pm

Window Licker wrote:
9seconds wrote:

It's up on piratebay, but i wish i seen it at the cinema, it's really stunning. I think the story has been altered quite a bit.

Like i don't think he had a son who died, and he forgave the Tom Hardy character in real life.

Gotta bring that drama!

yeh, ive read all about hugh glass, i love mountain men stories, the movies are always fucking stupid, depicting mountain men with beards is a big one, they almost all shaved fanatically.
but yeh, he never had a son, the character tom hardy plays wasnt near as much of a douche, he and a younger guy stayed to bury glass when he died, which they were sure he was about to, fearing the locals, they left him, not in the hole, tho they did dig one, they left him by a stream, so he could get water.
they took all glasses possessions tho, this is a crucial factor in the story, its what motivated his revenge, and which made his survival so amazing, taking his gun, knife, flint, all his tools, all the things he needed to survive, without which he was as good as dead, injured or not.
they had to take them tho, it would have been considered insane to have left that stuff on a corpse, they were being paid to wait for him to die, and if they didnt bring his gear they wouldnt get their money as it would be known they were shit cunts who left him alone to die and be eaten by wolves or desecrated by the local people.
he did get rescued by some of the locals from another nation, and there was a few adventures of that sort, but no 'princess' and shit like that, part of his survival was due to the fact he had lived with Iroquois(i think) and knew how to forage, especially for roots as for some weeks he could only crawl.
glass caught up with the young guy, but and this was recounted by other mountain men who were there, he looked so scared and ashamed that glass said something like 'your conscience will punish you all that you need, he had heard their conversation and knew why and how they came to leave him, and considered the younger man less culpable.
he eventually tracked down the other guy, who had his gun, it was a very good gun, glass was a well known hunter and it was his pride and joy, he had joined the army, and they would not let glass, as a civilian execute the thief, but gave glass his gun back, and he considered thats all he really gave a fuck about and the story pretty much ends there.

jeez i just wrote so much, i could have just fuckin linked to his wiki page or something

ive got no problem with them dramatising the story, i just like knowing the true one too, i think that the movie should own that stuff tho, you know, maybe a blurb at the end that explains some of that, i dunno, its not really important in this case at all, cant wait to see it, is the pirate bay torrent all g?
dont wanna watch a cam version.
my missus works at the last video hire shop on earth, so i can see all the new releases before they are officially available for hire, but as its still screening, that might be a while.

oh yeh, and i dont have a problem with ol leo, just assumed hardy would be glass, already over it, just realised that reading this thread and was a bit bummed.

this is from one of my favourite mountain man stories

The Gaudy Liar
An often-told story has it that when the book appeared, a group of miners who were well-acquainted with Beckwourth commissioned one of its members to pick up a copy while on a trip to San Francisco. But the man, being careless, got a copy of the Bible instead. In the evening, he was requested to read aloud from the long-awaited book, and opening it at random, he hit upon and read the story of Samson and the foxes.
"That'll do!" one of the men cried. "I'd know that story for one of Jim's lies anywhere!"

http://www.beckwourth.org/Biography/early.html
"Look how happy he is"

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 pm

Yeah the priatebay one is all good. It's an award season screener. Same with Hateful 8. We watched them both at the same time which is pretty funny as they're both westerns set in hellish snowscapes. Was good to watch on a blistering hot day haha. Today is 42 degrees with a mad wind which is like standing in a car exhaust. Fuck.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:17 pm

9seconds wrote:ive got no problem with them dramatising the story, i just like knowing the true one too, i think that the movie should own that stuff tho, you know, maybe a blurb at the end that explains some of that

Haha the way they did that with some of the plot points in the big short was kind of amusing

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:34 am

Finally got round to watching Human Centipede; Full Sequence
Thought it was great. Camerawork was great, loved the B&W, would have taken something away if it was full colour.

Hate the over-analysis of these films. Shut up. Dude had a concept. Thrashed it out. Worked out alright.
Lack of Dieter Laser was a downside, but god damn that tubby little ball of lard Laurence R. Harvey was brilliant.

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:01 am

Window Licker wrote:
snuff wrote:

:?: what? you mean the law or whatever?

Correct.

Just watched Uncanny, pretty good AI film.

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Hooned the following over the past few nights:

Pixels - Adam Sandler's best role probably. They could have made that so much more than what it was. Where was the dig dug? 5/10.
Terminator Genisys - Blockbuster-as-fuck but fun to watch. The time travel/timeline did my head in. Not bad. 6.5/10.
Jupiter Ascending - Didn't like the plot or many of the characters but some of the scenery and design was fantastic. I feel like they could have played with the concept of planetary ownership a little more or focused on that aspect more than the sappy love story part. Alright I suppose. 5.5/10.
Parallel - Captivating right up until near the end....it's like they ran outta money or something. Either I just didn't get it or...well yeah I just didn't get it. Still worth a watch though. 6/10.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:54 pm

Chess geek here so I had to check this out. Excellent performances by Tobey Maguire, Peter Sarsgaard and Liev Schreiber. The 1972 Fischer-Spassky match played out as a massive cold war propaganda exercise. Fischer really was a one of a kind, the Soviets had state support and a huge establishment behind them, Fischer had only his genius for the game.

He was one badass player, on his way to the world title he totally humiliated a top Soviet grandmaster by winning a best of 10 match by the unheard of score of 6-0. Unfortunately Fischer was also a paranoid anti-Semite conspiracy theorist who basically went off the rails after winning the match. For once they got most of the chess details right, they even showed actual positions from the 1972 match though with occasional dramatic license (e.g. Fischer did not resign immediately when his bishop got trapped in game 1, he actually came close to drawing the game).

Anyway even if you know nothing about chess, this is a great cold war period drama that should hold your interest.

snuff

Postby snuff » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:21 am

Made my way recently through The Man in the High Castle, based on a Philip K. Dick novel. Really enjoyable.

Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Postby Dan Last » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Making a Murderer - Jeezus. After Serial and The Jinx, this was yet another great true crime doco series. So many creepy True Detective vibes, with that touch of Wisconsin Fargoness. Still undecided about his guilt, some of the evidence omitted is pretty mega, though most of it still seems pretty circumstantial/his word vs. hers type shit. I dunno man!

Trumbo - Yeah yeah. I'm a sucker for a lefty martyr story, old Dalton Trumbo was a fucking legend. The cast is fantastic, I especially like the dude from A Serious Man who plays Edward G. Robinson. Clearly dramatised to hell and back, but still real fun. Best biopic I've seen in a while.
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Postby Dan Last » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Sisters - Amy Poehler and Tina Fey get together for their crack at an odd-couple (sort of) comedy caper. I thought this was great, better than fucking Bridesmaids or any of that shit with Melissa McArthy (sp?). Heaps of great comedy side dudes and ladies fill out the background ensemble.
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Dan Last wrote:Sisters - Amy Poehler and Tina Fey get together for their crack at an odd-couple (sort of) comedy caper. I thought this was great, better than fucking Bridesmaids or any of that shit with Melissa McArthy (sp?). Heaps of great comedy side dudes and ladies fill out the background ensemble.

Fuckin' A. Melissa McCarthy is supremely unfunny.

Sisters was good, that line:

"You know what's sad?
...your vagina".

Made me laugh so hard and it was just a throwaway joke. My only gripe is it's way too long. Comedies should be 90mins max i reckon.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:00 pm

dont watch:

'cooties'
despite the great idea of setting a zombie apocalypse in a primary school, the concept was poorly realised, it started out ok, but by the end it seems like everyone involved just totally lost interest and phoned the conclusion in.
at one point the lead actor elijah woods character is insulted by being referred to as a 'hobbit' which probably tells you all you need to know about this utterly missable attempt.

'joe dirt 2'
i know most people wouldnt bother with this in the first place, but believe me, its worse than it has any right to be, christopher walken is in it for fucks sake, the story doesnt so much meander over the plot as much as it sprays all over it like a drunk pissing off a boat, it didnt have a lot to live up to as the belated and unnecessary sequel to 'joe dirt' but it truly failed to deliver in all departments, altho by about halfway i was genuinely laughing at how shamelessly awful it was.

do watch:

'american ultra'
much more interesting and engaging than the cover art/box blurb leads you to expect, good combo of stoner humour and action, light, fun and relatively funny, reminiscent of pineapple express.
bonus points for watching the excellent animated sequence at the end.
"Look how happy he is"

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:12 am

I enjoid it. Long though.
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

Max

Postby Max » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Pretentious eurobollocks, of mainly historical interest. One of the girls in it was only 17 (guess it wasn't such a big deal back then). Emmanuelle's husband thinks it's a jolly good idea to set her up on a date with a creepy old perv who talks Satresque bollocks so that he can get her gang-raped in a Thai opium den and whored out to the winner of an underground Thai Boxing match. This apparently "liberates" her sexually.

Positives: Very nice cinematography, Thai location shots are very well done. Acting is passable and Sylvia Kristel sure is nice to look at. Girl-girl scenes are well done.

All in all, just a historical curiosity really. It was a huge hit in France and did a fair bit of business in the US during the porn chic era. Sylvia Kristel's auto-biography might be worth a read, in real life she was a grumpy Dutchwoman who chain smoked, drank two bottles of whiskey a day and freebased.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:33 pm

UNIT wrote:
Dan Last wrote:Sisters - Amy Poehler and Tina Fey get together for their crack at an odd-couple (sort of) comedy caper. I thought this was great, better than fucking Bridesmaids or any of that shit with Melissa McArthy (sp?). Heaps of great comedy side dudes and ladies fill out the background ensemble.

Fuckin' A. Melissa McCarthy is supremely unfunny.

I hate the style of semi improv comedy in those movies, powerfully unfunny. McCarthy is weird as she's so good in Gilmore girls, yet all her recent movies she's really unfunny (as everyone else) and typecast her as some gross fat rude person. Really sucks.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:36 am

Dan Last wrote:Making a Murderer - Jeezus. After Serial and The Jinx, this was yet another great true crime doco series. So many creepy True Detective vibes, with that touch of Wisconsin Fargoness. Still undecided about his guilt, some of the evidence omitted is pretty mega, though most of it still seems pretty circumstantial/his word vs. hers type shit. I dunno man!

Just finished watched this. Fucked up. Be interesting to see what the support the show drums up.

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:54 am

PertHJ wrote:and typecast her as some gross fat rude person. Really sucks.

Yeah it would be nice to see her play something else.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:00 am

Found this guys talks great

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:41 am

Watched this last night, not a great fan of earthships for a variety of reasons, and the semi-cult leader way mike is presented here is a bit off putting, but its worth a watch if you're interested in this sort of thing, and havnt already seen it
"Look how happy he is"

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:25 am

Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

Max

Postby Max » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Doco about the climate change deniers, comparing them to the tobacco lobbyists (some of them are the same people even).

Return to “Movies & TV”