What have you recently watched?

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
mark tyler

Re: What have you recently watched?

Postby mark tyler » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:11 pm

^^^watched that on Rialto the other day. To be honest i was a wee bit disappointed after having high expectations with such a great cast. Highlight for me was the brilliance of John Hurt.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

hate and wedges

Postby hate and wedges » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:06 pm

SQUEEEE!!!!

A Nicolas Winding Refn production. Artsy brutality about England's Most Violent Prisoner, who has been in jail pretty much solid since 1974, and spent at least 34 of those years in solitary, some of it in all three of England's toughest prisons/asylums for Criminally Insane. He's also hilarious. Free Charlie Bronson!

Fucking great. A bit over-stylised in places [could've done with a little more narrative and less theatrical narration; but there's not much storyline apart from Prison; beat people; prison; beat people]. But most of the formalist elements work amazingly. One of the best opening credit sequences I've seen in aaages, and TOM HARDY IS MY NEW GOD/STALKER CRUSH/FUTURE HUSBAND. He totally carries the film. Amazing performance.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wycCe2AnrXE[/video]

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:56 pm

Window Licker wrote:Image 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) seen it jimbo??

'Course deude! Great doco though, so sweet watching it now knowing that Roky is even better than he ends up at the end of the film. :)

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:09 pm

King of Kong - Finally got around to seeing this. Clocked/10
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:22 pm

Some pretty sweet violence, no brainer action flick, good to drink beer to.

Bullion

Postby Bullion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Very cool movie on the rise of West Indies cricket in the late 70's early 80's. If you love seeing batsmen in pain, this is a good movie.

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:46 am

Rubber - I liked it. Why? No reason.

Descendents - Chilean movie. Fairly typical infection breeds zombies movie set around a surviving 9 year old girl who then finds further survivors. Lots of annoying flashbacks and decolouration to highlight the blood. Although the movie wasn't awful, there wasn't really a whole lot to hang on to.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Event Horizon
Sci-fi horror still holds up as Paul WS Anderson's best film (not really a huge statement), but the second half doesn't quite deliver on the creepy atmosphere established in the first. Despite the lack of pay-off, some great production design and some cool sequences (the guy going out the airlock without a spacesuit is the best of these) carry the day. The 2-disc DVD has some neat extras, including information on how a panicked re-cut just before release kinda botched things a bit.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space
An alien spaceship crashes outside a small town and the aliens just happen to look exactly like clowns. And they kill people by shooting them with candy floss or hitting them with acid pies. That sort of thing. Incredibly silly, but not funny enough. And also not serious enough to laugh AT. So it's just kinda meh.

Deep Rising
Fun b-movie along the lines of Tremors. A bunch of mercenaries (including Cliff Curtis) try to rob a cruise liner, only to find the liner has already been attacked by sea monsters. Cue lots of gunfire, CG monsters and explosions. Good stuff and a guilty pleasure.

Drax

Postby Drax » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Matt wrote:Image
Event Horizon
Sci-fi horror still holds up as Paul WS Anderson's best film (not really a huge statement), but the second half doesn't quite deliver on the creepy atmosphere established in the first. Despite the lack of pay-off, some great production design and some cool sequences (the guy going out the airlock without a spacesuit is the best of these) carry the day. The 2-disc DVD has some neat extras, including information on how a panicked re-cut just before release kinda botched things a bit.

That film gave me the fucking creeps when I saw it years ago.

ImageImage

Watched the last episode last night. I gotta say, I was not expecting that ending at all, having never been that familiar with Lynch's other stuff. Didn't surprise me much but It wasn't until the end credits were half-way through that I realised that was the actual ending. Got a good kick out of it. Second to last scene is fucking amazing too.

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:16 pm

The Walking Dead, quite digging it.

Sopranos seasons 1 and 2 so far, fucking great

deh

Postby deh » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Kerry wrote:Image
Fucking brilliant. Watch it.

watched and agree.

decent, funny watch about the egomaniac writer/director of the boondock saints.

daggers

Postby daggers » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 pm

whole thing could have been avoided if the cunts in the movie learned to shoot straight and they put cuffs on Cage while he was in the coma
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:46 am

Next Door
Quality Norwegian thriller about a guy who gets involved in a weird violent sex relationship with the two women who live next door...who also seem to know a strange amount about him.

Citizen Kane
Although not dazzling today, this really was SO far ahead of everything else being made at the time, it's ridiculous. Incredible achievement.

Bride of Frankenstein
Decent classic horror flick, superior to the original. Even though the titular bride doesn't actually show up until the last five minutes.

presuming ed

Postby presuming ed » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:56 pm

watched that movie 'paul' what a pile of crap that is. kirsten wiig delivers her lines well but in general to be avoided.
watched another film called 'drive' which is great and must be seen on the big screen when it gets released some time in the near future. really well filmed and acted and a decent enough story with a nice amount of ultra violence thrown in for good measure.

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:34 pm

UNIT wrote:Image

Any good?

Just watched 44 Inch Chest, thought it was well done and really engaging, but the ending felt like it was missing something.

also Image Still not sure whether I liked it or not, but it was interesting.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

hate and wedges

Postby hate and wedges » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:13 am

How was watching movie posters for 90 mins at a time?

American Werewolf is so fucking awesome though.

Er, is anyone watching Torchwood at ALL? Such a patchy, weird, problematic, frustrating yet still titillating 4th season.
JS.

Also,
Episodes.
Weird cross UK/US "oh look we're screenwriters trying to re-do our hit english comedy for hollywood look how we get fucked on" comedy show - I can't actually decide whether I like Tamsin Greig [that's Fran from Black Books' name!] or Matt Le Blanc more.
Which is a fucking shock. Decent watch, short season for US as well. Keeps it light and fairly amusing but with enough emotional weight in there to give half a fuck.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:17 am

It's made for BBC2 I think, not an american tv show, which is why its still short.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

distilledwater

Postby distilledwater » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 am

May - Decent watch, was not what i was expecting.

Antichrist - Haven't watched a film this challenging in a while. Fuck there are some weird scenes going on though.

Hesher - Joesph Gordon Levitt can do no wrong in my books. Pretty refreshing indie type film. Would have been better to see more of 'Hesher' cause he was far more interesting than the other characters.

M - This was awesome, and had a pretty huge scale, way bigger than I was expecting. Also Peter Lorre's monlogue at the end is incredible.

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:39 pm

Marrow wrote:

Any good?

Yeah i enjoyed it, didn't know what the FUCK was going on at times but still has dated a lot less than Star Wars and has a very satisfying ending.

How was watching movie posters for 90 mins at a time?

:baton:

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:20 pm

UNIT wrote:Yeah i enjoyed it, didn't know what the FUCK was going on at times but still has dated a lot less than Star Wars and has a very satisfying ending.

Yeah he tweaked it for the DVD releases ala Star Wars. I think you can only get the original version on VHS. Great flick anyways, miles ahead of his other stuff.

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:53 pm

Yeah why can't he leave his films alone?! Did he add those ape type creatures towards the end? They looked hella out of place/jarring.

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 pm

UNIT wrote:Yeah why can't he leave his films alone?! Did he add those ape type creatures towards the end? They looked hella out of place/jarring.

Yeah he did. There were just Ewok looking dwarf dudes in the original. I liked the minimalism of the original version and how it did a lot with a really small budget. All his additions kinda kill that vibe a bit.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfTT8EGj3A[/video]

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Get yer hand off it Lucas!

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Ridley Scott must be due for another version of Blade Runner too :D

hate and wedges

Postby hate and wedges » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 pm

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:36 pm

A sequel could be interesting but most likely it'll be shit. It's just to much of an epic film to be pulled off again.

Drax

Postby Drax » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Also re-watched Louis C.K.'s Hilarious the other night. Some of his very best stuff for sure.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iicTW-PQ9S8[/youtube]

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 pm

[Tim] wrote:A sequel could be interesting but most likely it'll be shit. It's just to much of an epic film to be pulled off again.

I've got a decent amount of faith in him after seeing production stills etc from Prometheus (his Alien universe but no xenomorph movie).
He seems way more interested in the aesthetic of the original rather than continuity wank.

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Well the last Predator, Terminator and Planet of the Apes flicks were all good in my book so fingers crossed.

Return to “Movies & TV”