What have you recently watched?

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Re: What have you recently watched?

Postby Dan Last » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:32 pm

The Hangover - This seemed like it could've been really good, but they went for all the cliches...marrying a stripper, winning some money, getting in trouble with a local gang dude, even the tiger in the bathroom wasn't exactly new. It did bring a few lol's, but more blowing on the cock lols and not true master lols.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - Why I watched this to the end I have no idea. Why I watched it even after I realised that Adam Sandler had something to do with it (straight away) I have no idea. Fucking terrible. Originally confused it with Observe and Report which I still want to see.

Adventureland - Didn't know anything about this film before watching it. I thought it was really good, or maybe it was just because the soundtrack was fucking awesome. Anyway, late 80's coming of age drama set in an amusement park in Philadelphia.

I Love You Man - See previous comments about Paul Rudd. I enjoyed this.

Rock the Bells - Quite a cool documentary about the festival where Wu-Tang did their last reunion. Don't actually really give a shit about the promoters, but I guess that's what it was about, predominantly. Wish they'd had more/some footage of Wu-Tang actually on stage performing, but it was cool to see Sage Francis. The first guys were horrible.

Religulous - Pretty decent. I don't think I've seen Bill Maher in anything else, but I'll look him up, he's pretty funny. I almost feel bad for some of the people he interviews...and then I don't.

Zeitgeist - Liked the content, hate the format. The beginning and the end look like Tool video clips or a screen saver or something.
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

distilledwater

Postby distilledwater » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Dan Last wrote:Adventureland - Didn't know anything about this film before watching it. I thought it was really good, or maybe it was just because the soundtrack was fucking awesome. Anyway, late 80's coming of age drama set in an amusement park in Philadelphia.

I thought it was in long island, but turns out it was Pittsburgh.. but i thought it was pretty decent as well, much more depth than Superbad, same sort of genre though i guess.

Check out Observe and report for sure, solid movie.

Rob Zombies Halloween - First 3/4's were mean really dig zombie's style and characterisation/actor choices, movie seemed to start to flail towards the end though.
Last edited by distilledwater on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:36 pm

The Hurt Locker - dece as
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Tacotistk
trendy hipster

Postby Tacotistk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm

the Hangover gets a pass from me just for "not at the table, Carlos"

Scumbelina

Postby Scumbelina » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! season 4 - I will never tire of this show.
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace- great stuff, just got Man to Man with Dean Learner so am making my way through that, first episode was promising.

Devon

Postby Devon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Dog Day Afternoon! Fuck yeah, still love this movie.
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 am

Law Abiding Citizen - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1197624/

Quite enjoyed considering had no expectations, think Falling Down meets Saw.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:50 am

Screamers
Standard sci-fi flick apparently set in a war, although the two decimated armies appear to consist of about twenty blokes apiece. Robocop is off to negotiate peace, only to find a self-aware robot weapon they'd created called Screamers have started to evolve into something far worse than any human enemy. Not bad, but way, way too predictable to ever be actually good.

Turkey Shoot
Mediocre Ozploitation flick. Yet another variation on the Rich Guys Hunt Prisoners sub-genre. Again, incredibly predictable.

Botched
Sub-par horror comedy crippled by a low budget that makes it look like the cast are constantly running up the exact same corridor like in a Flintstones cartoon. Stephen Dorff is hired by Sean Pertwee (showcasing an awful Russian accent that drops out to Cockney every few words) to rob a rich couple in a Russian highrise only to find they're actually bug-shit crazy serial killers, so he and Lila from Dexter have to try and escape before they get chopped up. Not very funny and not very exciting.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:52 am

Matt wrote:Image
Screamers
Standard sci-fi flick apparently set in a war, although the two decimated armies appear to consist of about twenty blokes apiece. Robocop is off to negotiate peace, only to find a self-aware robot weapon they'd created called Screamers have started to evolve into something far worse than any human enemy. Not bad, but way, way too predictable to ever be actually good.

Haha, I own this on DVD. Movie rules.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:40 am

phaedrus wrote:I watched Observe and Report yesterday... well, I started to... watched about fifteen minutes, then skipped in 10 minute segments til the end and didn't find anything I wanted to see. In theory I should love anything Seth Rogan is involved with... but I just wasn't feeling it.

Painfully average film with a couple of hilarious scenes (the bit where he's absolutely annihilating the skaters in the carpark made me LOL a bit).

sam-antha

Postby sam-antha » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:25 pm

amazing.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:26 pm

13 Tzameti
A young workman is doing roofing for a junkie, who overdoses. Realising he is not going to get paid, the workman pinches a letter about a mysterious (but well-paying) job and pretends to be the junkie. But what he ends up in is a gambling ring on a deadly game. Round one, every revolver has one bullet and the players stand in a circle aiming at the player in front of them. When the lightbulb goes on, everyone pulls their triggers...Pretty cool thriller, but a bit more character development would've been nice to make our hero more than just a blank slate.

Bitch Slap
A trio of women with murky pasts descend on a remote desert locale looking for buried diamonds and quickly end up double- and triple-crossing each other. The desert stuff is live action, but the flashbacks that make up 50% of the film are all green screen, making for a cartoonish cross between Sin City and Faster Pussycat Kill Kill...except with a bad plot, appalling dialogue and lousy acting. Even the massive amounts of lingering cleavage shots can't save this.

daggers

Postby daggers » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:26 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
phaedrus wrote:I watched Observe and Report yesterday... well, I started to... watched about fifteen minutes, then skipped in 10 minute segments til the end and didn't find anything I wanted to see. In theory I should love anything Seth Rogan is involved with... but I just wasn't feeling it.

Painfully average film with a couple of hilarious scenes (the bit where he's absolutely annihilating the skaters in the carpark made me LOL a bit).

summed it up nicely. and when the mexican dude busts out the drugs
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:30 pm

"Bitch slap - prepare to get slapped"

You should have known it would be terrible when you read this.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:06 am

Yeah. That and the fact it features seemingly the entire cast of Hercules/Xena.

cirE

Postby cirE » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:53 am

Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:50 am

sam-antha wrote:Image

amazing.

Fuck yeah. Especially when you're high.
ONE MAN CREW

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Been avoiding Bitch Slap because I couldn't be fucked with another dire modern faux exploitation flick... the cast of Zena put the final nail in the coffin. Still will more than likely hire it one Sunday when its a $1 rental.

Watched Bronson last night and thought it was decent. I was expecting something different stylistically after the Pusher flicks but the quirkiness worked for me. Dude was mental as fuck violent it was cool seeing him take on groups of cops/screws :lol:

[absolut d-takt råpunk]

Postby [absolut d-takt råpunk] » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:17 pm

saw Bronson at the cinema in copenhagen, i thought it was fuckin crack up

Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Postby Dan Last » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Fearless Lesbian Vampire Killers - Horror comedy in the vein of Evil Aliens or that Australian clunker Undead. It had a few lols, hot girls and it passed the time.
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Dan Last wrote:Fearless Lesbian Vampire Killers - Horror comedy in the vein of Evil Aliens or that Australian clunker Undead. It had a few lols, hot girls and it passed the time.

Dude, that movie sucked. I think you nailed it when you said it was like those other shitty horror/comedies Evil Aliens and Undead. I didn't think it was possible to MISS so many opportunities for jokes.

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:50 pm

30 rock season three.

A bit late to the party with this one..

[absolut d-takt råpunk]

Postby [absolut d-takt råpunk] » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:53 pm

Matt wrote:
Dan Last wrote:Fearless Lesbian Vampire Killers - Horror comedy in the vein of Evil Aliens or that Australian clunker Undead. It had a few lols, hot girls and it passed the time.

Dude, that movie sucked. I think you nailed it when you said it was like those other shitty horror/comedies Evil Aliens and Undead. I didn't think it was possible to MISS so many opportunities for jokes.

i liked undead and evil aliens, but lesbian vampire killers SUCKED...

anyone else seen Dead and Breakfast? thats one of my faves in recent time.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Yeah, I've seen it - but unfortunately I thought that was lousy, too. Horror/comedies tend to be terrible, I find. Exceptions are stuff like Braindead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland, but that upcoming Tucker And Dale vs Evil looks hilaro, too.

[absolut d-takt råpunk]

Postby [absolut d-takt råpunk] » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:04 pm

the lousyness is somewhat what makes them good.... or maybe i'd smoked too much to appreciate the fact they were actually shit... i can't really remember what happened in any of them... except maybe undead.... it was aliens eh? made people into zombies?

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:06 pm

That's the one! It was actually pretty impressive technically for a couple of Aussies doing CGI on their laptop - it's led to them making Daybreakers, which looks a zillion times better just from the trailer.

meatmurder

Postby meatmurder » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:19 pm

The Tuxedo
King Ralph

were atrocious

Dazed and Confused

was dissappointing

The GOod, the bad and the weird

pretty good au!

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:31 pm

meatmurder wrote:The GOod, the bad and the weird

pretty good au!

Got this on DVD the other week, still haven't watched it. Keen, though. Looks pretty sharp.

distilledwater

Postby distilledwater » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Matt wrote:
meatmurder wrote:The GOod, the bad and the weird

pretty good au!

Got this on DVD the other week, still haven't watched it. Keen, though. Looks pretty sharp.

Real tight, one of the best movies of the year for me. Will have to pick it up after christmas

The Informant! - Was expecting something a bit different but wasn't disappointed.

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Dead & Breakfast was shit but Undead was shittier... its the worst horror flick I've ever seen.

Isle of the Damned was the best horror-comedy I've seen in years. Fucking hilarious with heaps of OTT gore and crudeness.

Return to “Movies & TV”