What have you recently watched?

Talk on films, TV programmes, and other pretty flashing colours.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: What have you recently watched?

Postby Matt » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:25 pm

Bright Future
Introspective piece from Kiyoshi Kurosawa using his metaphorical approach to comment on youth. Also has cool shots of armadas of jellyfish. Pretty good, but Kurosawa has done much better.

Crank 2: High Voltage
Puerile in the extreme and pretty much critic-proof. This is stupid, but so manic it is also kinda endearing.

Story of Ricky
Hong Kong nutty fight flick about the titular hero being stuck in a corrupt privatised prison. There, he fights people in a series of video game-ish 'boss' fights. Incredibly dorky and cheesy but also entertaining because of the completely over-the-top fake gore FX.

Blood Feast
Perhaps the original gore flick. Herschell Gordon Lewis' flick is mostly shite, with lame shooting, a lousy script and amateurish acting - but the extreme gore is a bit shocking next to the I Love Lucy sets and acting. Still hard to recommend, though.

Wizard of Gore
A remake of the Herschell Gordon Lewis flick about a magician who pretends to kill Suicide Girls onstage...but they turn up dead later anyway. With Crispin Glover, Brad Dourif and Jeffrey Combs. Ambitious, but ends up being a load of bollocks.

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Have you seen Blood Diner Matt? Pretty good homage to Blood Feast that I enjoyed a lot more. Haven't forgot about the trade I owe you just haven't has the cash for a new DVD burner :(

I'm a big fan of most of H.G Lewis' stuff despite the flaws.

hate and wedges

Postby hate and wedges » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:42 pm

Ricky-Oh is AMAZING!
Blood Feast is great too. Tedious at times, but so... beautiful... the blood....

Recently watched

Blood In Blood Out for the second time. Didn't even feel like three hours this time, the film is the epitome of epic. It's so 90s [even though set in 70s/80s] but TRANSCENDS any dagginess. still one of the most realistically brutal, and just REAL, man, films ive ever seen. I love prison movies that aren't Shawshank Redemption.

In Hell:

Jean Claude Van Damme. Prison bitches. Russian corruption. Fighting. Rediscovering WHO YOU ARE. Silly wife ghosts. Totally run of the mill, and totally enjoyable. I love JCVD, want to watch his 'doco'...JCVD

cobrascuntcharmer

Postby cobrascuntcharmer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 am

JCVD rules i loved Universal Soldier

hate and wedges

Postby hate and wedges » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:56 am

havent seen it [yet] but am excited about universal soldier 2 - featuring Andrei Arlovski!!!!!

Alf Stewart

Postby Alf Stewart » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:22 am

Kung fu kids.. fatty

Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Postby Dan Last » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 pm

hate and wedges wrote:Ricky-Oh is AMAZING!
Blood Feast is great too. Tedious at times, but so... beautiful... the blood....

Did you watch Ricky Oh with me? I'm pretty sure we watched Blood Feast together, if not with you then with Alex I think.

Anyway, watched heaps of stuff...

Terminator: Salvation - Not too bad. I really like some of the long take direction, especially for seemingly complex effects driven action sequences. It's not as epic in scope as Judgment Day, but how could it be? Still not a bad addition to the Terminator franchise. In saying that, I actually thought T3 was pretty fun. The only thing that really annoyed me about this film was...Christian Bales 'gruff soldier' voice. What the fuck? Has he gotten so used to doing his Batman voice that he can't speak properly anymore? Anyway, was only a passing distraction.

American Gangster - Finally finished watching this. Thought it was pretty good, but for some reason it made me feel like I was watching a made for TV movie, or maybe I was just drawing a comparison to the Wire, because of the photo board in the police headquarters, I don't know.

The Last Mimsy - Would have probably loved this film when I was little. It's got a few problems, such as fairly laughable dialogue and some terrible acting, mainly from the children, but I did enjoy it. Much better than the adaption of The Dark is Rising, maybe about on par with The Golden Compass, in terms of kids films. It's not really like those, but they seem like the last live action kids films I watched.

Ratatouille - I fucking loved this. It reminded me of Paris, reminded me of kitchens I've worked in, and I'm reading Anthony Bourdain's 'A Cook's Tour' so it gave me a cooking hard on something chronic. I thought it looked really good, although I have to say that I'm getting a bit sick of watching CG. And I'll be watching Wall E soon, so...then I'll need a solid Manga fix.

3:10 to Yuma - Really enjoyed this. One of the best Westerns I've seen in a long time.

Tropic Thunder - This was pretty stupid, really. There were definitely some parts that cracked me up, but all in all, it was meh. Robert Downey Jr. was definitely the stand-out and that British guy who's name I always forget died too early.
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

sam-antha

Postby sam-antha » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Wall E is sweet as.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts.

Drax

Postby Drax » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Actually really enjoyed it.

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Drax wrote:Image

Actually really enjoyed it.

I saw that on the big screen when it came out and didn't mind it. Definitely not amazing but not a shit as everyone made it out to be... its a lot better than that shitfest Doomsday or the awful Death Race remake.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Its not that it was inherently awful, more so that it was a box office faliure compared with how much money it cost (was the most expensive film ever at that stage).

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Yeh Kevin Costner had quite the fall from grace after that. That period was painful when everyone was riding his dick after Dances With Wolves at least Waterworld put him in his place and gave him an ego check. The only role I of his I liked was in The Big Chill.

Tacotistk
trendy hipster

Postby Tacotistk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:11 pm

:lol:

Drax

Postby Drax » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 pm

I thought the action scenes in Waterworld were awesome, the Smokers are fucking cool. The major downsides are the retarded ending and how much it blatantly rips off Mad Max 2.

[absolut d-takt råpunk]

Postby [absolut d-takt råpunk] » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:59 pm

geneco the genetic opera..... i either hated it or liked it, i'm not really too sure what to think

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:24 pm

Finished Generation Kill last week. Thought it was really good.
Watching first season of The Wire now. Enjoying it.
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:26 pm

Drax wrote:I thought the action scenes in Waterworld were awesome, the Smokers are fucking cool. The major downsides are the retarded ending and how much it blatantly rips off Mad Max 2.

Ha some of my favourite flicks are blatant rip offs of Mad Max 2. Fuckin' love shit like Battletruck and 2019: After The Fall Of New York.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:38 pm

geneco the genetic opera..... i either hated it or liked it, i'm not really too sure what to think

'Repo!'? Enjoy never getting the graverobber's song out of your head :P
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:39 pm

the Andromeda Strain. Terrible. Fuck.
ONE MAN CREW

distilledwater

Postby distilledwater » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Just finished Generation Kill as well today. Really enjoyed it, shit those creators are masterful at TV shows. will definitely need to rewatch this later.

A Serious Man - Another solid Coen Brothers film. Even more ambiguous ending than No Country For Old Men. But cinematography and acting were top notch.

Metal: A Headbangers Journey - not into metal at all, but a friend recommended it cause i'm studying anthropology. Really enjoyed it in the end. Very interesting and informative.

The Office (US) S2 - Heaps mean, so much more depth than the first season. Creed is just the best.

cirE

Postby cirE » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:39 pm

zombieland

fucking awesome
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 pm

Zombieland
Wicked comedy. I'd say one of my top ten of the year. Loads of neat lines and the cameo was hilaro.

Aguirre, The Wrath of God
Superbly filmed, if a bit dull on the narrative side, about an ill-fated Spanish expedition to find the mythical city of El Dorado. That pretty much ends up with a whole bunch of guys on a raft getting picked off from the river banks by natives as they are led to death by a bat-shit-mental-from-day-one Klaus Kinski in the title role.

Village of the Damned
Sub-standard remake by the once-great John Carpenter. Bizarro cast includes Christopher Reeves, Linda Kozlowski, Kirstie Alley and Mark Hamil as a priest.

Full Metal Yakuza
Japanese gangster take on Robocop. Pretty average - and also very restrained by Takashi Miike's standards...there's only one corpse-fucking in the whole flick!

Three Colours Red
I know this is supposed to be amazing, but I thought it was just 'good'. Maybe it's because I haven't seen the other flicks in the trilogy, but it seemed mostly French people looking bored and talking a lot and having coincidences.

Irreversible
Toes that fine line between brilliant and incredibly pretentious, but I think it pulls it off. The backwards-telling adds poignance to simple scenes because we know the tragedy. Plus more cocks than I can think of ever seeing in a movie. Including a digitally-added cock. The French, eh?

The Ost
mutton chops

Postby The Ost » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:the Andromeda Strain. Terrible. Fuck.

The 70's one?
"Society makes easy targets; colour, creed, sex. " - The Proletariat

INITIO CLUB: "Better than the crap people" since 1997

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:15 pm

i remember enjoying the andromeda strain. but in saying that it wa sover 15 years ago i saw it.
At first i didn't know the cock was digital in irreversable and was very "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????" about it.

Dan Last
Vibe Bringer

Postby Dan Last » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:43 am

Zombieland - Pretty funny. The Bill Murray cameo cracked me up so hard. Glad I saw it on the big screen.

Wall-E - All I can really say is...awwwwwww, shucks. Very cute.

Dethklok Metalocalypse Season 2 - Fuck yeah!! Wish I'd seen this before I saw them live, so I would've known some of the new songs. Anyway, brilliant.

Teeth - I actually thought this was brilliant. Genital mutilation, empowerment, hilarious.

The Cleaner - Fairly formulaic thriller starring Sam L. Jackson and Ed Harris. Not horrible, just not particularly good either. Thought it started pretty strong, but wasn't 'thrilled' with the 'twist'.
I'm not a cool guy anymore.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:37 pm

American History X - Seen it before. It's easy to criticise, but it's a good movie.

Great Balls of Fire- Good movie. Very inspiring. :)
ONE MAN CREW

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:16 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:Great Balls of Fire- Good movie. Very inspiring. :)

Gonna start fucking your jailbait relatives then?

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:47 pm

[Tim] wrote:
Hamtown Dave wrote:Great Balls of Fire- Good movie. Very inspiring. :)

Gonna start fucking your jailbait relatives then?

:lol:

Truth be told - I'm a bit ADD - and often don't watch a movie in one go - and I had stopped before it got to that part. So the inspiration part was more about the music.

But the marriage thing - I may be opening a punkas can of worms here - but I'm pretty open minded to true love of that nature.
ONE MAN CREW

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:53 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:But the marriage thing - I may be opening a punkas can of worms here - but I'm pretty open minded to true love of that nature.

Dude, weren't you saying it's fine to take kiddie fiddlers outside and shoot them in another thread?

My most recent watch:

Dead Air
Ambitious attempt to blend a zombie flick with a terrorism movie, but hamstrung by a desperately low budget that is just too obvious. But Bill Moseley is great in the lead - he really is an underappreciated actor, his work in The Devil's Rejects was top drawer stuff.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm talking about true love. There's a big fuckn difference between a 3yo and a 13 yo.

The boy in the striped pajamas. :| Decent movie.
ONE MAN CREW

Return to “Movies & TV”