9seconds wrote:what is with NZ and these people who just decide they are celebrity musicians without any real evidence or indeed talent to show it?
its like a weird cult, filled with tragic pseudo-celebs and fawning enablers hungry for delusional 'rockstars' to worship.
kind of reminds me of the brony/MRA scene
My usual policy is to not respond to comments like this- but in this case I'm going to make an exception as I think there's a really important conversation to have here and you raise a very good point.
I do agree that some people's egos get in the way of things (it's something that can't always be perfect and some have more of it than others. Trust me, even I get a little over the top sometimes but I'm working on trying to find the balance)), and in turn it makes things a lot worse off for other bands who maybe are not getting as noticed by their peers or getting the recognition that they fully deserve. But this in turn creates a larger problem.
I won't speculate on what your country's music scene is like and I won't speak on J Solo's behalf- but my personal opinion is that in New Zealand the industry here treats the top 1% of musicians and bands in the metal/rock genre like the gold class popularity A-Teams from High-School and meanwhile tries to screw over the other 99% like the ones who bullies see as prey and in turn it makes it harder for most musicians to get a break, you have to be loud to get your voice heard. Bands now are mostly on their own and have to keep finding new and different ways to put themselves out there and get noticed (again because the industry treats the top 1% like gods and screws over everyone else to some degree). This is really tough and it may put them across as celebrities at times, but for a lot of bands in order to break through the noise they often have no choice but to be like that. And that's tragic.
Music's going through a different sort of transitional phase right now where technology plays a part now like it never has before. It will take time to balance ego, promotion, and innovation with all of these new technological changes to the music scene- but I believe that over time with help from this technology once us musicians learn how to properly embrace and use it that the focus will return to the music and not the cat-fights on sites like Twitter and Facebook (hey, if MTV can return to music shows and revive Unplugged- technology can help refocus the music world on the music). Give it time and you'll see the best and worst of it.
As you can probably tell- musicians have a hard time and we have to push ourselves and our work out there to get noticed and sometimes some bands do it more than others. But are we celebrities? In my opinion- no (but hey, each one to their own). If you want a celebrity- ask Kris Jenner or Kim Kardashian and they'll be able to help you out. Hopefully this little rant helps. Hope you're well and keep enjoying the music you love. Music always wins in the end.