CHCH Nevermind The Punkfest 2014

Advertise for any upcoming Shows/Festivals/Gatherings
akaxo

Re: CHCH Nevermind The Punkfest 2014

Postby akaxo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:16 am

watermelon guy was prob the NF undercover trying to blend in by eating black people food to not appear like a racist
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:27 pm

akaxo wrote:watermelon guy was prob the NF undercover trying to blend in by eating black people food to not appear like a racist

:baton: :baton:

Tartanperil

Postby Tartanperil » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:52 pm

9seconds wrote:ive no doubt if any nazis had showed up to cause trouble the whole crowd would have turned on them,
Well someone did try and sneakily burn the small German flag on my NATO parka they found offensive - and presumed I was some kind of nationalist sympathiser :lol: (though while I was still actually wearing it which less than impressed me, lucky it wasn't a cheap flammable rip-off eh :evil: ).

Anyway, while I didn't see thomas_r's brother's incident, being threatened is more than just being "harassed" and shouldn't be happening at events. I've no idea if if was an unseen incident, but it'd be nice to think if it did happen openly it would have been dealt with and his brother made to feel welcome.

Yes, thomas_r was dickish in the way he originally moaned about it (and has admitted such, seemingly redacted the post, and is sorting things with Lance) - but it is still something that happened at the event, and hence something we all as a community need to be aware of dealing with.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:44 pm

wheres that review of i think the '05 punkfest where some girl reviewed it positively even tho she ended with something like 'the only negative experience is that i got shot with a slug gun while leaving'?

i mean, its a punk show, obviously the scene doesnt tolerate too much overt douchbaggery, but i have to wonder what really happened, did he run afoul of some notorious local fuckwit, or was there something in his manner that offended a normally genial drunk?
"Look how happy he is"

cynna

Postby cynna » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:03 pm

9seconds wrote:sooo... somebody outside the fest harassed your brother(for not wearing a black shirt?) and you blamed the organisers/the whole event for this?

i dont understand your concerns about the national front hiring the same venue the week after, were you concerned that some of them might be there?
traditionally, at the now defunct wellington punkfest, the national front would show up, from christchurch, the same weekend, and it would be a little sideshow to the main event, sometimes involving a nazi getting his head kicked in.
ive no doubt if any nazis had showed up to cause trouble the whole crowd would have turned on them, they are extremely unpopular, and lets face it, the NF are a pack of wallies than absolutely nobody takes seriously any more.

and again, if they had have shown up, its not the fault of the event and/or organisers.

really not sure what you were complaining about.

one last question, are you, or do you know watermelon guy? is that your bro?

o so thats why someone thought i was kyle chapman ahahah

the venue goes to who ever hires it. all sorts have been there
rip

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 pm

Funnily enough while walking through the shopping centre on the Saturday morning chuffed with myself for finding a brand new 30 gram on the footpath I had a thought 'you know it's funny I've been in Christchurch for around 18 hours now and I'm still yet to see an obvious racist' and seconds later who should cross my path but the man himself. I heartily cracked up meters from his face, he gave me a look of utter confusion rather than contempt and I continued consuming my delicious kebab whilst strolling to the bottle store having gained two quality stories for the day.

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:21 pm

9seconds wrote:really not sure what you were complaining about.

He didn't have a good time or thought some things were worrying for [X] reasons. I think?

Here's a few possible ways to deal with it:
- Think 'nah' and not worry about it
- Think 'nah' and try to undermine his viewpoint/experience as invalid/ challenge it
- Think 'OK' and not worry about it
- Think 'OK' and try to address it however you can be bothered

:idea: I'd say just avoid number 2 and it'll probably be all good

In terms of online entertainment though, number 2 please!!!!!!!

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:56 pm

This kind of gig does attract some shit cunts. And some allgoodsweetas cunts who do bratty cunty things under the influence. But mostly allgoodsweetas cunts. Just like most gigs, right?
It's punkfest for fucks sake, not a rainbow fairy watermelon land you can take your little brother to and assume he'll be all sweet. Drinking plus some peoples take on punk mayhem does mean some feelings might get hurt. I had to develop a hella thick skin and comeback mechanism personally, and it's served me well in all areas of life.
Shoulda arked up at the dick that threw things at him and punk justice would have prevailed i'm sure ;)
Also you guys that care that a kid cried on tumblr about this are cracking me up.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Window Licker wrote:Also you guys that care that a kid cried on tumblr about this are cracking me up.

actually a really good point.
imagine if punks got a reputation for being unruly and aggro!?
:explainittomelikeimfive:

"Look how happy he is"

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:08 pm

Hello Miss Amazeballs!
Recently i was the MC for the CHCH Punkfest and had accusations of misogyny levelled at me after introducing an all-female band, Fantails, as "lovely ladies". The main protagonist said his "blood was fucken boiling" after hearing this, and that my comment was very demeaning and dismissive of the role of females in the punk and hardcore community. This blew me away because i know all the members of the band in question and actually thought i was being very respectful. What do you think about this? Do you think his reaction was over the top? Or was my choice of words naively inflammatory?
Kind Regards, Bolshy McBard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Bolshy, so you introduced the Fantails as lovely ladies, and you're thinking ' what's the problem with that? ' It seems like innocent flattery and it doesn't seem sexist- you could have just as easily referred to a man as a 'lovely gentleman'. It's just a compliment ...right?

Unfortunately this is also known as benevolent sexism, a good intention that defines the role of women. You see, lovely is a term defined as beautiful, pretty, adorable, sweet. How does this fit as a character trait of a female punk band? Do you think lovely describes theses women breaking out of tradition female roles? Women in punk music are a minority...why is that? It takes a lot for women to step aside from gender defined roles.

On the flip side Mr protagonist took on the gendered role of the chivalric code, equally problematic, 'these women need someone to stand up for them'. His blood boiling response to you not only undermines the self determination of the women but also disempowers them further through the assumption that they (and other women) are effected by your flippant introduction.

I think this describes both positions well: Benevolent sexism as Glick and Fiske suggest is a subjectively positive orientation of protection, idealism and affection directed toward women that, like hostile sexism, seems to justify women's subordinate states to men.

It's a minefield out there, and Bolshy, because of your gender you're not going to get it right. It's good to keep asking though.

Yours sincerely, Totes Amazeballs
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

PunkinDrublic

Postby PunkinDrublic » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 pm

because of your gender you're not going to get it right. It's good to keep asking though.

Is this person for real? I actually can't tell

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Great thread.

I could imagine that punkfests could be fairly intimidating for an outsider, but that's just the way it is, builds character and all that.... If you haven't been shot at a punkfest, you haven't lived.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

daggers

Postby daggers » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:58 pm

how mean would a watermelon be mid-festival though
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:23 pm

How'd your watermelon wiezen go oi?

Hipster_Faggot

Postby Hipster_Faggot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:20 pm

mark tyler wrote:Image

Watermelon guy looks like the only rad person there.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm

mark tyler wrote:Hello Miss Amazeballs!
Recently i was the MC for the CHCH Punkfest and had accusations of misogyny levelled at me after introducing an all-female band, Fantails, as "lovely ladies". The main protagonist said his "blood was fucken boiling" after hearing this, and that my comment was very demeaning and dismissive of the role of females in the punk and hardcore community. This blew me away because i know all the members of the band in question and actually thought i was being very respectful. What do you think about this? Do you think his reaction was over the top? Or was my choice of words naively inflammatory?
Kind Regards, Bolshy McBard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Bolshy, so you introduced the Fantails as lovely ladies, and you're thinking ' what's the problem with that? ' It seems like innocent flattery and it doesn't seem sexist- you could have just as easily referred to a man as a 'lovely gentleman'. It's just a compliment ...right?

Unfortunately this is also known as benevolent sexism, a good intention that defines the role of women. You see, lovely is a term defined as beautiful, pretty, adorable, sweet. How does this fit as a character trait of a female punk band? Do you think lovely describes theses women breaking out of tradition female roles? Women in punk music are a minority...why is that? It takes a lot for women to step aside from gender defined roles.

On the flip side Mr protagonist took on the gendered role of the chivalric code, equally problematic, 'these women need someone to stand up for them'. His blood boiling response to you not only undermines the self determination of the women but also disempowers them further through the assumption that they (and other women) are effected by your flippant introduction.

I think this describes both positions well: Benevolent sexism as Glick and Fiske suggest is a subjectively positive orientation of protection, idealism and affection directed toward women that, like hostile sexism, seems to justify women's subordinate states to men.

It's a minefield out there, and Bolshy, because of your gender you're not going to get it right. It's good to keep asking though.

Yours sincerely, Totes Amazeballs

|wow
"Look how happy he is"

daggers

Postby daggers » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Window Licker wrote:How'd your watermelon wiezen go oi?

not great Renee. Got oxidised somewhere along the line. How's your life go oi?

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:32 am

daggers wrote:how mean would a watermelon be mid-festival though

Pump that shit full of vodka and weeee :calavcalav:
I think it's lint.

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:34 pm

daggers wrote:

Superb. Come for a visit! Fold out couch i don't know how to fold out with your name on it pal x

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Red_switch wrote:
daggers wrote:how mean would a watermelon be mid-festival though

Pump that shit full of vodka and weeee :calavcalav:

Who the fuck likes drinking watermelon with vodka and wee? Piss fetishists I suppose

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:21 pm

One of my mates spent ages infusing a bottle of vodka into a watermelon for the big day out years ago. She got it past security no problem and within a few meters tripped and smashed it everywhere. Hilarious!

daggers

Postby daggers » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Window Licker wrote:
daggers wrote:

Superb. Come for a visit! Fold out couch i don't know how to fold out with your name on it pal x

I'm scared of Straya

Return to “Upcoming Events”