Drone/Doom band EARTH to play Dunedin/Welly/Auckland in June

Advertise for any upcoming Shows/Festivals/Gatherings
CTS

Postby CTS » Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 am

DUNEDIN - Thursday June 12th, Chicks, Port Chalmers
WELLINGTON - Friday June 13th, Bodega
AUCKLAND - Saturday June 14th, Kings Arms

Tickets on sale from www.undertheradar.co.nz / Cosmic Dunedin / RPM & Slowboat / Real Groovy Records / All Shows R18

FACEBOOK EVENT - www.facebook.com/events/841619125868125 ... &source=49

BANDCAMP - http://earthsl.bandcamp.com/album/angel ... f-light-ii

In the ‘90s, Seattle’s Earth released three landmark albums on Sub Pop Records that set the standard for drone metal. Taking their name from an early incarnation of Black Sabbath, Earth sought to distill rock music to its fundamentals, employing repetition, reverb and distortion to hypnotic effect. The group pioneered the brooding, minimalist aesthetic that went on to inspire a new wave of atmospheric experimental rock, including the likes of Sunn O))), Boris and Om. Their debut album EARTH 2, released in ’93 remains a milestone of their genre.

"A three-track, 75 minute deluge of feedback and distorted guitars that marked the blueprint for what Dylan at the time coined 'ambient metal" - Terrorizor

"Earth 2 remains the document for drone-and doom-minded depressives."– Pitchfork

After an extended hiatus beginning in the late ‘90s, Earth’s only constant member Dylan Carlson revived the band and Earth reappeared in the early 2000’s bringing a transformation in sound. While still drone based, Earth now featured a drummer and strong elements of country music, while still retaining the continuity of their previous sound.
The three records that followed continued in the same vein, building layer upon layer of sonic sprawl, letting the space in between the notes speak as much as the music itself. Their 4th studio album Hex; Or Printing in the Infernal Method was their first for experimental heavy metal label Southern Lord - the group has stayed with the label since releasing their 5th, 6th and 7th studio albums. Now Earth are hard at work on an eighth studio album, but their legacy as innovators of post-rock, drone, doom and everything in between is firmly established.

Earth’s live show is like a religious awakening: cascading, hypnotic and utterly consuming. See them live in New Zealand on the following dates:

Dunedin - Thursday June 12th,Chicks, Port Chalmers
Wellington - Friday June 13th, Bodega
Auckland -Saturday June 14th, Kings Arms

Tickets on sale from www.undertheradar.co.nz / Cosmic Dunedin / RPM & Slowboat / Real Groovy Records / All Shows R18

CTS

Postby CTS » Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 am

DUNEDIN - Thursday June 12th, Chicks, Port Chalmers
WELLINGTON - Friday June 13th, Bodega
AUCKLAND - Saturday June 14th, Kings Arms

FACEBOOK EVENT - www.facebook.com/events/841619125868125 ... &source=49

BANDCAMP - http://earthsl.bandcamp.com/album/angel ... f-light-ii

In the ‘90s, Seattle’s Earth released three landmark albums on Sub Pop Records that set the standard for drone metal. Taking their name from an early incarnation of Black Sabbath, Earth sought to distill rock music to its fundamentals, employing repetition, reverb and distortion to hypnotic effect. The group pioneered the brooding, minimalist aesthetic that went on to inspire a new wave of atmospheric experimental rock, including the likes of Sunn O))), Boris and Om. Their debut album EARTH 2, released in ’93 remains a milestone of their genre.

"A three-track, 75 minute deluge of feedback and distorted guitars that marked the blueprint for what Dylan at the time coined 'ambient metal" - Terrorizor

"Earth 2 remains the document for drone-and doom-minded depressives."– Pitchfork

After an extended hiatus beginning in the late ‘90s, Earth’s only constant member Dylan Carlson revived the band and Earth reappeared in the early 2000’s bringing a transformation in sound. While still drone based, Earth now featured a drummer and strong elements of country music, while still retaining the continuity of their previous sound.
The three records that followed continued in the same vein, building layer upon layer of sonic sprawl, letting the space in between the notes speak as much as the music itself. Their 4th studio album Hex; Or Printing in the Infernal Method was their first for experimental heavy metal label Southern Lord - the group has stayed with the label since releasing their 5th, 6th and 7th studio albums. Now Earth are hard at work on an eighth studio album, but their legacy as innovators of post-rock, drone, doom and everything in between is firmly established.

Earth’s live show is like a religious awakening: cascading, hypnotic and utterly consuming. See them live in New Zealand on the following dates:

Dunedin - Thursday June 12th,Chicks, Port Chalmers
Wellington - Friday June 13th, Bodega
Auckland -Saturday June 14th, Kings Arms

Brundlefly

Re: Drone/Doom band EARTH to play Dunedin/Welly/Auckland in

Postby Brundlefly » Fri May 09, 2014 10:49 am

So good last time, definitely going again.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Fri May 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Why do we get this dribbling penis hipster average acoustic instrumental blues dressed up in the Emperor's new clothes crap and not the good stuff that Robert only brings to Australia like EYEHATEGOD and SAINT VITUS. FFFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!

'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Fri May 09, 2014 4:38 pm

lol

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Fri May 09, 2014 5:02 pm

:lol:
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Fri May 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Pleased you're onto this straight away Riggers. Good call, but I've got an even more pressing question:

General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Fri May 09, 2014 10:11 pm

Loal RIGGERRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSS!

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Sat May 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Dead Kid wrote:Pleased you're onto this straight away Riggers. Good call, but I've got an even more pressing question:

The answer is obviously DOTL

But the question I have for you what the fuck is ERF?
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat May 10, 2014 10:16 pm

Subcide wrote:Why do we get this dribbling penis hipster average acoustic instrumental blues dressed up in the Emperor's new clothes crap and not the good stuff that Robert only brings to Australia like EYEHATEGOD and SAINT VITUS. FFFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!

Pretty sure MacManus fucked up Eyehategod and the band made complaints about him on line.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 am

Yeah I seem to remember (if my memory serves me correctly) something about them getting to the airport all ready to go and then McManus had only paid the minimum deposit for their flights and not the whole fee and couldn't afford the rest so it didn't end up happening... Sounded pretty fucked up at the time. I don't know precise details, and could be way off the mark. Anybody care to elaborate?

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Mon May 12, 2014 2:59 pm

TimShadbolt wrote:Yeah I seem to remember (if my memory serves me correctly) something about them getting to the airport all ready to go and then McManus had only paid the minimum deposit for their flights and not the whole fee and couldn't afford the rest so it didn't end up happening... Sounded pretty fu*ked up at the time. I don't know precise details, and could be way off the mark. Anybody care to elaborate?
\

That's pretty much my recollection. I remember someone criticizing him for running a business model which required a certain number of show tickets to be sold before the full airfares could be paid i.e. it was eventually doomed to fail and did in this case. Although I don't know how much of it is factual.

He had done a successful tour with them a year or so earlier though.

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Tue May 13, 2014 4:14 am

Shit happens. Who knows what communication was or wasn't going on. I'm sure he's learned and moved on. Earth, woooo. So are the supports announced?

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Wed May 14, 2014 1:35 pm

Why does the subject header refer to Earth as "Drone/Doom" when they are so clearly not that?

It's like when the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were marketed ad a Heavy Metal band in the early 90s when should have been under the same label as Earth i.e. Crap!

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon May 19, 2014 8:04 am

a bunch of bands are bringing a class action type law suit thingy against rob, he fucked up reeeeal good.

Drax

Postby Drax » Mon May 19, 2014 10:34 am

Subcide wrote:Why does the subject header refer to Earth as "Drone/Doom" when they are so clearly not that?

It's like when the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were marketed ad a Heavy Metal band in the early 90s when should have been under the same label as Earth i.e. Crap!

Are you having a laugh or are you actually going bruce wayne all over this fucking thread?

Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Mon May 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Window Licker wrote:a bunch of bands are bringing a class action type law suit thingy against rob, he fucked up reeeeal good.

hoooo, elaborate?

mouseball

Postby mouseball » Mon May 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Subcide wrote:Why does the subject header refer to Earth as "Drone/Doom" when they are so clearly not that?

people can name it what they want, that is a pretty accurate representation of their early sound though.

glad to see them coming back and not some scene conscious punk/metal education magazine fiend's favourite band like eyehategod or saint vitus.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Mon May 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Drax wrote:

Are you having a laugh or are you actually going bruce wayne all over this f*cking thread?

Hmmmmm...... What do YOU think?

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Mon May 19, 2014 2:44 pm

mouseball wrote:

people can name it what they want, that is a pretty accurate representation of their early sound though.

glad to see them coming back and not some scene conscious punk/metal education magazine fiend's favourite band like eyehategod or saint vitus.

To respond to your first point, that does describe their early sound, but it has nothing to do with what they sound like now. It would be like trying to call sheep sh*t 'grass' because that's what it was before it went into the sheep.

To respond to your second point -

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Mon May 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Mutton shit dressed as lamb food. :lol:
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Drax

Postby Drax » Mon May 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Subcide wrote:
Drax wrote:

Are you having a laugh or are you actually going bruce wayne all over this f*cking thread?

Hmmmmm...... What do YOU think?

Either you're a complete fucktard who thinks throwing a conniption fit on a PunkAs thread beacause you don't approve of a promoter's descriptive terms is a good idea, or you're just being an unfunny cunt. Doesn't really matter either way, I was just wondering.

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Mon May 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Sasquatch wrote:
Window Licker wrote:a bunch of bands are bringing a class action type law suit thingy against rob, he fucked up reeeeal good.

hoooo, elaborate?

i dont know too much, just that lightning bolt and 4 or 5 others are taking him to court. he just keeps doing really dumb shit. he's got a fuckload (like maybe 6 figures) worth of back line and guitars and what not, but nothing liquid. I doubt we'll see much more of rob after the next tour or 2.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Mon May 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Anal Dredlock wrote:Are you having a laugh or are you actually going bruce wayne all over this f*cking thread?

SUBCIDE wrote:Hmmmmm...... What do YOU think?

Draxxxxx wrote:Either you're a complete fucktard who thinks throwing a conniption fit on a PunkAs thread beacause you don't approve of a promoter's descriptive terms is a good idea, or you're just being an unfunny cunt. Doesn't really matter either way, I was just wondering.

Last edited by Subcide on Mon May 19, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daggers

Postby daggers » Mon May 19, 2014 10:14 pm

what's everyone's favorite BAND: "EARTH" (drone/doom) record?
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

Drax

Postby Drax » Mon May 19, 2014 10:28 pm

HU BTR
DRON/DOEM ERF OR FUK ITS NOT EVEN DROEN\DOEM!! ERF

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Mon May 19, 2014 10:51 pm

Drax wrote:HU BTR
DRON/DOEM ERF OR FUK ITS NOT EVEN DROEN\DOEM!! ERF

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Mon May 19, 2014 11:18 pm

hits the..

Unsubscribe topic

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 am

daggers wrote:what's everyone's favorite BAND: "EARTH" (drone/doom) record?

Quite possibly the only post in this thread worth a damn.

Easily this LP for me:

Followed by this EP (becos kurkobane is on it):

Sunn Amps live album is good too. Not all that familiar with Earth's later stuff. But enjoyed their last shoe. Will probaberbly attend.
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Drax wrote:Hey man, look Chris I'm really sorry about the Earth thread. Good on ya though mate. Bloody Earth; bloody wankers.

Good Boy!

Return to “Upcoming Events”