Outdoor fest in Auckland

Advertise for any upcoming Shows/Festivals/Gatherings
omarscoming

Outdoor fest in Auckland

Postby omarscoming » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:02 pm

How many people would be interested in an outdoor one day fest (possibly with camping) made up of maybe one or two international acts and 5 or 6 local acts. Would be Punk, ska, hardcore and possibly some metal. Would people be willing to travel to Parakai or similar for something like this? What would people expect to pay ?(please be realistic) im wanting to gauge the interest I this and try and make it or something very similar a reality that can be held annually and possibly grow into something successful so please be honest with wether you think you would really attend. Also open to suggestions. Bring it on

Whitey

Re: Outdoor fest in Auckland

Postby Whitey » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:29 pm

8 Bands over the course of a day doesn't really sound like much. If it was spaced over two days (Friday/Saturday) I imagine more people would attend. The camping aspect would be hard to gauge, if there was enough interest from out of town I'm sure there'd be enough to justify it but I imagine most Aucklanders would probably drive if it was just for a night (at Parakai).
Price, dunno, depends what's on offer I guess. I imagine around about $40-80 - the bands would be the selling point (rather than it being an outdoor fest).

It's a cool idea regardless, so hopefully that helps.
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

omarscoming

Postby omarscoming » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:05 am

Yup that definitly helps. Two days would be preferable. Like you said itl come down to the acts I guess
Either way planning to make something happen regardless.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:58 am

Chuck on a couple of stoner/doom bands and I'd be keen, at times a few of them have floated the idea of playing in the wops. Or some bands from all over the country to set it apart from what people can see in Auckland regularly.

Cost depends on the scale of the internationals... if it's just an Aussie band or two, maybe $15-25.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

godgrinder

Postby godgrinder » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:10 pm

Just keep it indoors in a venue that's not too big at first especially if you haven't organized a lot of shows before. Every once in a while there's someone thinking that they can pull a big fest and failing miserably. If you are doing well enough in the first couple of years you can start considering moving it outdoors, but at that point you would have to up the ante of the headliners too.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Maybe at this time of year the 'outdoor fest' is the key part, more than the lineup. There have been plenty of good venue shows, but I can see the appeal in having an outdoor festival where people can bring a box of beer and hang out while (non-shitty) bands play. So even if they weren't bands that I'd usually go and see, I'd be keen, but for that sort of format, I think keeping it mostly local bands and low price would be more appealing than getting bigger international acts but bumping the price up so that only people who are really into those bands would go.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:38 pm

godgrinder wrote:Every once in a while there's someone thinking that they can pull a big fest and failing miserably.

Yeah, start small with a single day. Nothing wrong with outdoors though. Or in a shed on a farm or something.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

godgrinder

Postby godgrinder » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:45 pm

There's the weather factor after all. Indoors stage w/ outdoors hang out area might be a good balance.

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:37 pm

godgrinder wrote:There's the weather factor after all. Indoors stage w/ outdoors hang out area might be a good balance.

Seconded. Could do a stage inside a Tent?
The alternative would be doing it in a hall and having camping close by.
(btw the $40-$80 mentioned above was inclusive of camping and decent bands/internationals)
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

Honist Ta Hu

Postby Honist Ta Hu » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:30 am

It could be real mean with enough decent bands and a good location. Check out Chronophonium for reference, it's basically this idea, a cheap as music festival ($60) going over two nights in the forest with camping and partying. Although they don't include as much punk/hardcore/metal as they're aiming for more of a melting pot of different genres and styles. The very first one didn't have that many people attending (like 70??) but it was a decent tester. The next year sold every ticket (I think around 350 tickets) and was a pretty fucking sweet party. This one coming up will be the third year running and is at a different venue but it's shaping up to be just as cool. So yea it is possible if you have the knowledge/ambition/bands/location/attendees.

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:59 pm

People I know over in Canada own a farm in the middle of nowhere collectively between a bunch of them. Every year they put on a punk show for everyone they know. Last year they had Rebel Spell and a bunch of others. It's real low key, basically a bunch of people camping and playing punk music in at a outdoor homemade stage. Could be a good model if someone is will to host. Link is here: http://www.therebelspell.com/2012/08/su ... ootenanny/
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:21 pm

I think the key is starting modestly - there have been numerous genre 'fests' that have failed in this country over the years, going back to Warped Tour. The ones that have worked have been ones that started small - like the example above - and then using the word of the mouth of the first year's attendees to grow it the second year until the name of the 'fest itself become an event.

That may sound like a big commitment, but it's better than punting on getting 1000 people paying $80 each and only having 25 kids turn up and you're out of pocket $78,000.

omarscoming

Postby omarscoming » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks guys all great advice. Pretty much the plan so far is at least two intls from USA and a bunch of NZ bands. Not just the Auckland regulars. As for camping im not sure about it yet. The venue I want to use has a stage and arena. One of the big issues will be alcohol on site as I would prefer not to have it unavailable to under 18s but if its licensed im not sure what the deal is. As for the other option of byo Im sure theres a law around charging for entry if its byo so still up im the air around that, but things are moving along nicely. Keep your ideas coming.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:30 am

I'm pretty sure BYO is fine for paid festivals. The last one at Parihaka definitely was. May depend on what District Licencing Authority you are dealing with though.

I know another festival I worked on pretty much only breaks even due to alcohol sales. So if you make it BYO you are losing a lot of potential income but also have to deal with a whole lot more paperwork and responsibility.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

godgrinder

Postby godgrinder » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:42 am

omarscoming wrote:Pretty much the plan so far is at least two intls from USA and a bunch of NZ bands.

One thing to be careful is in a case like that, you probably only gonna pull as many people as the headliner will pull at their headlining gig. Don't book a venue that's oversize for your potential turnout.

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:36 pm

godgrinder wrote:
omarscoming wrote:Pretty much the plan so far is at least two intls from USA and a bunch of NZ bands.

One thing to be careful is in a case like that, you probably only gonna pull as many people as the headliner will pull at their headlining gig. Don't book a venue that's oversize for your potential turnout.

or even less.. some people will happily pay to go to the kings arms or powerstation to see a band but arent going to drive into the country to do so. Also theres generally far less public transport options than to an urban venue, and if a taxi is going to cost $100 after the show thats going to put people off too..

Im sure someone put on shows at parakai years ago.. im sure i remember missing teeth, rudies and or similar playing out there.

The worst 'festival' has probably been the 'waxed' tour in 2001, a bunch of NZ bands and The Vandals.. they booked North Harbour Stadium and ended up using the kings arms.
Even 'No Sleep 'only got 3000 people despite having NOFX who sold 1800 tickets themselves in 2007, parkway drive who sold 800 tickets in auckland 3 months earlier, plus megadeth, dropkick murphys and bunch of other bands capable of drawing 500+ themselves.
Sometimes people just dont like the 'festival' format

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:55 pm

scott penk wrote:Even 'No Sleep 'only got 3000 people despite having NOFX who sold 1800 tickets themselves in 2007, parkway drive who sold 800 tickets in auckland 3 months earlier, plus megadeth, dropkick murphys and bunch of other bands capable of drawing 500+ themselves.
Sometimes people just dont like the 'festival' format

So true. 'No Sleep' was the good times I thought. Shitripper, NOFX, GWAR, Megadeth, Dropkick Murphy's, even Alkaline Trio & Frenzal Rhomb did pretty alright sets, but admittedly I was kinda under the influence. One small bar for 3000 people was pretty bullshit so there's definitely a lesson in that... Fuck that noise.

a lesser known matt

Postby a lesser known matt » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:06 pm

scott penk wrote:The worst 'festival' has probably been the 'waxed' tour in 2001, a bunch of NZ bands and The Vandals.. they booked North Harbour Stadium and ended up using the kings arms.

When was the kings arms show? We went up to it just outside Matakana and it certainly wasn't well attended but the vandals still got into it. The idea of it was good but they just didn't pull it off.

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 pm

think it was the saturday? was the last of the 3 shows anyway.. matakana, raglan and auckland

matttheft

Postby matttheft » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:51 am

The reason people attend festivals is as much about the atmosphere as the music. When they have a great atmosphere, they give great reviews and want to go next year and drag their friends along.
In my opinion, the best option would be to start small and modest for a couple of years, get the name of your festival associated with awesome times and gets a crowd, then look at bringing over internationals.

Neilstock in Tirau (I think) and Woodcock in Tauranga are two festivals that have started small, and are expanding each year. They are getting to the stage where adding an international act would be worth the money and effort, as they will get a crowd just for the festival.

omarscoming

Postby omarscoming » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi everyone. Thank you for all the extremely helpfull advice and comments. Ive taken it all on board and will be holding the festival at a smaller venue in auckland city now. Probably late march. Hoping to still have the outdoor aspect depending on zoning and noise control etc. More info will be posted under a new thread as it comes to light or at https://m.facebook.com/oldfirmbookings

Again thanks heaps and see ya on the day

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:59 pm

Give yourself a bit more time to organise. Also the last weekend of March Kylesa is touring and there's NZ Tech Death Fest in Wellington. Toxic Holocaust and Skeletonwitch is only 2 weeks later in mid-April.

Return to “Upcoming Events”