D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Advertise for any upcoming Shows/Festivals/Gatherings
greenie
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:24 pm
Location: waiheke island
Contact:

D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby greenie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Image

This is a call out to individuals from communities all across Aotearoa to join in organising an ongoing project which aims to start a Peoples Movement actively addressing the Root Causes of Climate Change

Join us at Parihaka for a weekend of tasting and devouring, information, discussions and workshops on climate chaos and climate justice. The bases of the gathering is to share skills, up skill and take action. Some of the workshops are on topics such as permaculture, collective organising and direct action strategies.

For more information and to register please go to: climatecampnz[at]riseup.net http://www.climatecamp.org.nz/HOME.html

What is a Climate Camp?

Climate Camps have been successfully held in several countries. Each camp has generally covered the following themes: direct action, education, direct democracy, sustainable living and building a movement to effectively tackle climate change by both resisting climate damaging activities and developing sustainable solutions. The camps are a place for anyone to take action on climate change; for anyone who's fed up with empty government rhetoric and corporate spin; for anyone who's worried that the small steps we've been encouraged to make in our personal lives aren't enough to match the scale of the problem; and for anyone who's worried about our future and wants to do something about it.

How is this organised?

Previous camps have been organised in a community based and collaborative way. Before and during camp regional groups [Auckland group / Whangarei group / nelson group / Christchurch group / new groups] work and organise by making decisions together and sending prooposals to one another. This is different from coming as a representative of an organisation, and is far more democratic, sustainable and conducive to building a peoples movement. There are already many regional and issue based working groups up and running that you can join, maybe there's one in your area, if not feel free to get in touch and start one up yourself.
Hope to see you at Parihaka!
..... back to the primitive .......

www.che-lives.com/forum

www.huon.org rainforest protection in oz

www.savehappyvalley.org.nz

withoutyourwalls
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:30 am

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby withoutyourwalls » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:34 am

The people who organised the camp in Australia shut down the biggest Coal port in the world [Newcastle] last week. Fucking Awesome stuff!

http://withoutyourwalls.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/rising-tide-australia-closes-down-world%E2%80%99s-largest-coal-port/

User avatar
Rob Anybody
Posts: 2953
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 am

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby Rob Anybody » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:46 am

its a shame the people who organise these things have systematically been alienating pretty much everyone on the earths surface, you fuckin idiots are actually standing in the way of a grassroots movement in any area, please stop it.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

User avatar
rryan
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:54 pm
Location: rotorua

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby rryan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:14 pm

just go give al gore another blow job, idiots.
Image

greenie
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:24 pm
Location: waiheke island
Contact:

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby greenie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:32 am

I think if you were there you would no climate campaigners called Al Gore up for being useless when he came to NZ, he met with some buisness people, then got in a limo and got driven to the airport.

Rob Anybody - what kind of grassroots campaigning are you doing... don't see much happening outside the greenpeace 'save the planet- give us money' NGO type approach, or the national/labour ... emissions trading/do nothing-not much approach.

Climate camps in the Uk and elsewhere have supported local communities (ie people whose homes are threatened by the potential heathrow airport expansion). the UK govt is out of step with public opinion there on many fronts, and are not acting on many issues - hence the probable riots in london mid this week. Obama being there and the anti war movement calling him up on afghanistan will be interesting.

Its obvious fonterra etc will never clean up their act, hence the reason people who oppose open cast coal mining, get bored of traffic jams and are concerned about people in low lying coastal areas like tuvalu and bangladesh are getting up to do something.

~

details about anti g20 marches, actions and london reclaim the city street party here:

http://www.g-20meltdown.org

http://climatecamp.org.uk/?q=node/468 - climate camp in london city -
Last edited by greenie on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
..... back to the primitive .......



www.che-lives.com/forum



www.huon.org rainforest protection in oz



www.savehappyvalley.org.nz

User avatar
combatrock
Posts: 2433
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:46 pm
Location: Tga / Ham / Akl

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby combatrock » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:43 am

Personally, I can't see how a weekend sharing information about this can be anything other than positive.
Image

User avatar
Craig_Bastard
Posts: 6361
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:10 pm
Location: New Plymouth
Contact:

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby Craig_Bastard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:06 pm

greenie wrote: the UK govt is out of step with public opinion there on many fronts


maybe coz the public dont know jack shit about fuck all.

case in point: High sales of Creed and Nickleback albums.
http://thestungrenades.bandcamp.com
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

User avatar
Agnes
Posts: 2169
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: Under the sign of the red mark
Contact:

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby Agnes » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:10 pm

the rise and fall of the Bleeders is an example of this I think

User avatar
Craig_Bastard
Posts: 6361
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:10 pm
Location: New Plymouth
Contact:

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby Craig_Bastard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:20 pm

And, that you never see punx at protests....
http://thestungrenades.bandcamp.com
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

MoonBat
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: Auckland

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby MoonBat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Rob Anybody wrote:its a shame the people who organise these things have systematically been alienating pretty much everyone on the earths surface, you fuckin idiots are actually standing in the way of a grassroots movement in any area, please stop it.



Yeah, there's nothing at all alienating about commentary like that...

BOOT GIRL
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby BOOT GIRL » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:43 am

rryan wrote:just go give al gore another blow job, idiots.

cos its easier to dis those that give a shit about something other than themselves eh..wanker!

Red_switch
Posts: 6111
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: makarewa

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby Red_switch » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 am

Shit like this actually does the cause no favours in the eyes of joe punter, which are the eyes that need to be opened.

But meh whatever. permaculture will save the world, yarn, at least you have a bandwagon.
I think it's lint.

Image

User avatar
combatrock
Posts: 2433
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:46 pm
Location: Tga / Ham / Akl

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby combatrock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:16 am

I reckon that what causes 'no favours in the eyes of joe punter' is radical direct action. This makes people think the issue is just some unreasonable concern of extremists and that the problem isn't that bad. If it appears like this then it basically (in my opinion) alienates the joe punters who are the ones who needed to be brought along side to put pressure on government, where the real change needs to happen.

But then, without the demand, change wont happen. The growing prevalence (and the rise and fall of the Bleeders) of fair trade coffee is kind of an example of this I think. So if this camp produces positive ways of getting attention and change, then it's causing favours in the eyes of joe punter.

I could go on and make it a bit clearer, but no-one reads essays on punkas.
Image

User avatar
hiv-positive
Posts: 1798
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Veins

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:52 pm

Pretty much. Always wondered why these sorts of groups don't take heed of how the enemy presents itself to the masses and look into ways of replicating similar strategies and promotional avenues in order to achieve more support. Could realistically focus on a more relatively conservative series of campaigns under a subdued banner and quite reasonably drum up a lot more interest and backing for causes. It's quite feasible to narrow down the scope of activist ideals to key points, slicing out the more radical, manifesto driven demands, and put more focus on simple, direct, comparatively non-confrontational marketing

Of course, that would mean giving up or cutting down on distributing times new roman, type set zines with as much angry socialist manifesto text book cut and paste as can be crammed in, so, yeah... maybe not?

User avatar
Marms
Posts: 3990
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:50 pm
Location: AVHC. Are you happy now Jerry?
Contact:

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby Marms » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:03 pm

Image

User avatar
Carcass
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:36 pm

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby Carcass » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:25 am

hiv-positive wrote:Pretty much. Always wondered why these sorts of groups don't take heed of how the enemy presents itself to the masses and look into ways of replicating similar strategies and promotional avenues in order to achieve more support. Could realistically focus on a more relatively conservative series of campaigns under a subdued banner and quite reasonably drum up a lot more interest and backing for causes. It's quite feasible to narrow down the scope of activist ideals to key points, slicing out the more radical, manifesto driven demands, and put more focus on simple, direct, comparatively non-confrontational marketing

Of course, that would mean giving up or cutting down on distributing times new roman, type set zines with as much angry socialist manifesto text book cut and paste as can be crammed in, so, yeah... maybe not?


UH... So, why dont you do something about that, then?

User avatar
Rob Anybody
Posts: 2953
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 am

Re: D.I.Y. Climate Justice!

Postby Rob Anybody » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:04 pm

greenie wrote:Rob Anybody - what kind of grassroots campaigning are you doing... don't see much happening outside the greenpeace 'save the planet- give us money' NGO type approach, or the national/labour ... emissions trading/do nothing-not much approach.

you guys have already cornered the market, in fact in my experience you guys will actually attack any group thats not closely linked with your own.

p.s. do you know what grassroots means?

MoonBat wrote:
Rob Anybody wrote:its a shame the people who organise these things have systematically been alienating pretty much everyone on the earths surface, you fuckin idiots are actually standing in the way of a grassroots movement in any area, please stop it.



Yeah, there's nothing at all alienating about commentary like that...

well obviously ive already been alienated.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."


Return to “Upcoming Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests