The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Discussions about bands, songs, music genres and all those funny sounds we like so much
Dubpunker
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 am

The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Dubpunker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:52 am

Datsuns or Cavemen?! I like them both.




User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 2154
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby dave-brown » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Elemeno p

User avatar
mmmm....good crack
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: down
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby mmmm....good crack » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Dave Dobbyn
Image

Dubpunker
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 am

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Dubpunker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:33 pm



vs


User avatar
Max
Posts: 1389
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Max » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Alien Weaponry... imagine getting a bunch of Germans and Slovenians to sing along in Te Reo. World's coolest kids in my opinion.


Dubpunker
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 am

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Dubpunker » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:40 am

Max wrote:Alien Weaponry... imagine getting a bunch of Germans and Slovenians to sing along in Te Reo. World's coolest kids in my opinion.



so true. i just watched all the episodes about touring europe last year.


User avatar
Drax
Posts: 4853
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:17 am
Location: Running with men G.
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Drax » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Funny thread. Would make more sense to compare The Datsuns to The D4 or another band like that.

From what I've listened to The Datsuns are waaay more leaning towards classic blues rock, hard rock and garage rock whereas The Cavemen do scruffier garage punk/rock 'n' roll, but I haven't seen or heard them much since they left NZ. They were fun live and sometimes hilariously loose when they were playing here, but it started to get a bit old cause it was kinda the same thing every show. The whole loose rock n roll thing started to get pretty silly too when the singer was huffing paint or glue onstage etc. I know they're young, but y'know. Watching teenagers do retarded shit in front of an audience like that can get a bit weird and depressing. I missed seeing them play in Amsterdam cause I was super jet-lagged and kept falling back asleep when it was time to go out.

The Datsuns are a way better band, but they've been around a whole lot longer and they seem to aim for a totally different style. Solid as fuck albums and an awesome live show. They're kinda like NZ's answer to The Hellacopters. I liked them when I was in high school and finally got to see them live about 10 years ago at a free concert at a park near my flat in Kingsland and they did not disappoint. That band fuckin rules.



Image

User avatar
Dead Kid
Posts: 6123
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:40 pm

So monotonous. I guess it's that thing where a band's songs all sound the same and either you like the song or you don't. If forced I'd pick The Cavemen as The Datsuns were already overplayed and bored me when I saw them in 2004.
:eggface:
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

User avatar
Drax
Posts: 4853
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:17 am
Location: Running with men G.
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Drax » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:13 pm

Well poo poo.
Image

Dubpunker
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 am

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Dubpunker » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 am


Dubpunker
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 am

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Dubpunker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:13 am

GET THE BEERS ON ICE AND THE PIES IN THE WARMER CAUSE WE’RE COMING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!!!

12/12 - Auckland @ Whammy
13/12 - Wellington @ Caroline
14/12 - Whanganui @ Lucky Bar
15/12 - Tauranga @ Secret Location...

THESE ARE OUR ONLY NZ SHOWS SO GET YASELF A TICKET AND COME WITNESS THE FREAK-SHOW WE’VE BECOME IN PERSON...

User avatar
Dead Kid
Posts: 6123
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Dead Kid » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:39 pm

The Cavemen influenced the next generation of kiddies to keep a whole scene of loose rock 'n' roll bands going. Dead Beat Boys, Silver Surfer, Cindy etc.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 2154
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby dave-brown » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:00 pm

Ah forget em both. Listen to Tadpole! Yeah I had a dubbed tape of them when I was 13. And no, at that age I wasn't aware of the obvious theme it was eluding to.
Anyway, the Datsuns are shit, the Cave men need a hair cut, and this song stinks of the late 90s/early 2000's, but hey, we jammed to it on the radio when we played hackey sack at lunch time so ftw.


Also, all of these bands are better than Pcp Eagles


Red_switch
Posts: 6120
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: makarewa

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Red_switch » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:02 pm

Drax wrote:Funny thread. Would make more sense to compare The Datsuns to The D4 or another band like that.

From what I've listened to The Datsuns are waaay more leaning towards classic blues rock, hard rock and garage rock whereas The Cavemen do scruffier garage punk/rock 'n' roll, but I haven't seen or heard them much since they left NZ. They were fun live and sometimes hilariously loose when they were playing here, but it started to get a bit old cause it was kinda the same thing every show. The whole loose rock n roll thing started to get pretty silly too when the singer was huffing paint or glue onstage etc. I know they're young, but y'know. Watching teenagers do retarded shit in front of an audience like that can get a bit weird and depressing. I missed seeing them play in Amsterdam cause I was super jet-lagged and kept falling back asleep when it was time to go out.

The Datsuns are a way better band, but they've been around a whole lot longer and they seem to aim for a totally different style. Solid as fuck albums and an awesome live show. They're kinda like NZ's answer to The Hellacopters. I liked them when I was in high school and finally got to see them live about 10 years ago at a free concert at a park near my flat in Kingsland and they did not disappoint. That band fuckin rules.




MF from hell was certainly a good soundtrack for skipping school in Invercargill to (ironically) crash datsuns in local parks. I enjoyed a few Datsuns shows in their day, but they aren't a band that I feel any sort of nostalgia for.
I think it's lint.

Image

Red_switch
Posts: 6120
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: makarewa

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Red_switch » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:06 pm

dave-brown wrote:Ah forget em both. Listen to Tadpole! Yeah I had a dubbed tape of them when I was 13. And no, at that age I wasn't aware of the obvious theme it was eluding to.
Anyway, the Datsuns are shit, the Cave men need a hair cut, and this song stinks of the late 90s/early 2000's, but hey, we jammed to it on the radio when we played hackey sack at lunch time so ftw.


Also, all of these bands are better than Pcp Eagles


Ah yep. haha. Whoa. I remember hearing this and thinking it made the headless chickens sound "old". Also have memories of Weta playing at a rockquest and there being a bit of a kerfuffle about them swearing on stage or something.
I think it's lint.

Image

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5717
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby the croc » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:25 pm

Fuck I was voluntarily listening to Tadpole just the other day cause I was talking to my kid about getting tadpoles for our pond and then my brain was like"Remember that band?" and then I played it on Spotify and it was still terrible.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5717
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby the croc » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:28 pm

Anyway, here's my pond. It's an old paddling pool. Got a solar powered fountain and everything.

Image
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
Drax
Posts: 4853
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:17 am
Location: Running with men G.
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Drax » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Tadpole are a fucking shocker. Worse than Stellar y/n?

In related news Zed are gonna play a reunion show soon. That's pretty grim.
Image

Red_switch
Posts: 6120
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: makarewa

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby Red_switch » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:19 pm

Tadpole definitely worse than Stellar.

Zed, holy fuck, they were bad. They had that stupid fucking made up word
I think it's lint.

Image

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5717
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Location: Wellington/At sea
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby the croc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:11 pm

This made me chuckle a bit: https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... n-auckland

Paying good money for shit music and still being disappointed.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 2154
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: The Datsuns or The Cavemen

Postby dave-brown » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:31 am

Lol people who paid for that got what they deserved.
It must be a strange thing, pretending you're a rockstar in a country too small to actually fund the life they assume they deserve. On the topic, that's the public response I think Guy William's deserves, pompous git, "oh I'm so privileged, I'm from Tauranga" blah blah. Hes not funny, he belittles the people he claims to represent, hes a gangly bourgeoisie fuck.

Basically that cunt from the Feelers is no Darcy Clay, and Guy William's is no Leigh Hart.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests