Contemporary OI! that doesn't suck....

Discussions about bands, songs, music genres and all those funny sounds we like so much
nazi scum

Re: Contemporary OI! that doesn't suck....

Postby nazi scum » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Infa Riots album Still Out of Order Right Wing Crap?? I challenge you to quote some lyrics from that album that are right wing.

You forgot to mention Angelic Upstarts LEFT WING CRAP Using the same DP logic "Guns for the Afghan Rebels" a song supporting arming the mujahadeen against the Soviets(all good), but an organisation that led to the rise of OBL, Al Q and the Talitubbies. Dont forget 9/11 it seems Mensi was responsible!!

"i dont think a band dictates ones idealogy" Dave-Brown is correct of course, how many lefties listened to David Bowie in full knowledge of his nazi sympathies? An excellent list of classic Oi and Street punk from Dave!!
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:15 pm

dave-brown wrote:Yeah i listen to some dodgy music, but im an anti fascist and I know where I stand politically. I also listen to gg allen but dont condone exposing myself to kids.

x2

dave-brown wrote:
And as far as Gobsmakt goes?? where the fuck are the dodgy ties there? They are a mean as shit band with hit after hit. And although im writing this from hotel room in Bangkok I could definately go for a bbq haystings

i dont think they have any, just had left-wing party poopers tell me they are, which is kinda what i thought was happening here with those other bands, but guv and frosty are fuckin good as cunts playing mean music, oh and obviously that video above, you can see the image right?

semi related, i love this song, even tho i dont agree with it at all.

"Look how happy he is"

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:39 pm

I personally support allot/most Angelic upstarts lyrics. The afgahn rebel thing is something i know too little to comment upon. But in general I think their leftist poetic stylings are much to my liking.

I have a pretty diverse record collection. (punkwise) 60s-80s ska and reggae. uk82, anarcho punk, crust, hc, streetpunk, etc etc but addmittedly amidst it all do own allot of questionable oi. I brought an awesome Oi and streetpunk L.p at a flea market in Hamburg. Its French and is called "chaos en France". Theres a band called No class on their so thats a bonus.
Anyway I was squatting with a french Canadian guy at the time and had this record blasting full volume. My housemate burst into my room and in his hilarious Quebecan accent said "Dude, what the fuck are you doing, dont you know what the fuck they are singing about?"
"What? of course not you know i dont speak french"
He pulled out the rrecord cover and pointed out the band he was referring to. I hadnt noticed the smalll picture of hitler. Nor the image of the prussian looking dictator next to him.
Kind of weird to allow that on a punk related record i think. Most of the records really good but he translated three songs which were questionable to say the least.

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:26 am

^^Crackup Dave! And yes....Quebecan accents are indeed hilarious.

When I was a teen I remember my Dad looking at the cover of my copy of Punk and Disorderly 3 with the Swazi's and punks being shot on 10 Downing st on it. I couldn't explain t very well at the time haha.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:51 am

Sam Deformed wrote:^^Crackup Dave! And yes....Quebecan accents are indeed hilarious.

When I was a teen I remember my Dad looking at the cover of my copy of Punk and Disorderly 3 with the Swazi's and punks being shot on 10 Downing st on it. I couldn't explain t very well at the time haha.

haha. Yeah that imagery would be hard to explain or even comprehed at a young age. Mean compilation. For some reason its way harder to track down than other volumes. at one point i owned three copies of volume two, and ive never foubd a copy of #3.
Its an even more awesome album because of how embarrassed Neil is about the particular Destruktors track they chose for the compilation

Drax

Postby Drax » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:26 pm

dave-brown wrote:Yeah i listen to some dodgy music, but im an anti fascist and I know where I stand politically. I also listen to gg allen but dont condone exposing myself to kids.

This pretty much sums it up for me too.

I don't listen to music to hear viewpoints I agree with. That misses the point of listening to music for me. There's a bunch of different reasons I'll choose to listen to an band/artist. If it clicks with me, I'll listen to it. If it has sounds that interest me, I'll listen to it. If I'm simply curious to hear more of whatever it is, I'll listen to it. Sometimes, I'll listen to something because I feel like listening to something fucked up. Quite often that includes fucked-up lyrics. But I generally have no interest in listening to tedious political diatribes, overtly sexist and homophobic shit, and so on. I just think there's fuck all good music that's preoccupied with forcing out some fuckin half-baked 'message' or attack on something.

I kinda treat it the same as reading books, or watching movies. I try not to limit myself too hard. But I'm not gonna bother listening to a bunch of NSBM bands because they might have some cool musical shit in there. And I have no plans to read any more of Mein Kampf than the small part I already have, unless I really want to gain knowledge on that really specific part of history. Partly because it's a poorly written piece of shit full of poisonous ideas. And partly because there's a thousand other books I'd sooner read.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:35 am

Drax wrote:

This pretty much sums it up for me too.

I don't listen to music to hear viewpoints I agree with. That misses the point of listening to music for me. There's a bunch of different reasons I'll choose to listen to an band/artist. If it clicks with me, I'll listen to it. If it has sounds that interest me, I'll listen to it. If I'm simply curious to hear more of whatever it is, I'll listen to it. Sometimes, I'll listen to something because I feel like listening to something fucked up. Quite often that includes fucked-up lyrics. But I generally have no interest in listening to tedious political diatribes, overtly sexist and homophobic shit, and so on. I just think there's fuck all good music that's preoccupied with forcing out some fuckin half-baked 'message' or attack on something.

I kinda treat it the same as reading books, or watching movies. I try not to limit myself too hard. But I'm not gonna bother listening to a bunch of NSBM bands because they might have some cool musical shit in there. And I have no plans to read any more of Mein Kampf than the small part I already have, unless I really want to gain knowledge on that really specific part of history. Partly because it's a poorly written piece of shit full of poisonous ideas. And partly because there's a thousand other books I'd sooner read.

Hah, Yeah I tried reading it (Mein Kampf) once, Im not sure if they translated it into English badly on purpose, but he comes off very illiterate on top of everything else.

I do find after listening to a few too many songs in a row with lyrical content i dont agree upon can get a bit much. As in getting a chorus stuck in my head of questionable moral content can be a little scary. Its odd how powerful the subconscious can be.
I enjoy music more if it alines with my thinking, but sometimes music is just so good they lyrics have to be ignored and or tuned out.

Oddly enough, as it is not fit to the thread at all, ive been listening to Zounds allot lately, that band kicks arse. I like that era of anarcho punk

of Sam check out these boys, oi hit after hit, not cheesy "were skins and proud" just good 999 styled punk/oi

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:16 pm

i still listen to Zounds regularly, more often than crass or oi polloi which i was into at the time i got into zounds

i kinda like listening to dodgy music as a fuck you to both hippie retards and the nazis who make it, i like when they sing about smashing 'reds' i certainly dont consider myself communist, but nazis do, and im fine with that.

on the other hand i just love how this song sounds, lyrically its nonsense, and offensive, but it rules anyway, been thrashing it a lot lately.

"Look how happy he is"

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:56 pm

nazi scum wrote:Infa Riots album Still Out of Order Right Wing Crap?? I challenge you to quote some lyrics from that album that are right wing.

Sorry, I must have gotten something mixed up. My fault.

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:01 am

9seconds wrote:semi related, i love this song, even tho i dont agree with it at all.

RAC-Music! :explainittomelikeimfive:

Wiki:
Controversy erupted around the band after they were featured in a 1982 BBC Arena documentary, during which Henderson made racist comments. His views were not shared by the other band members; in the same documentary, 'Deptford' John commented on the similarity in living situation between black and white working-class youths in early 1980s Britain.[3] Footage of crowd violence at a gig was also broadcast in the documentary. This led to the breakup of the band, as their newly earned bad reputation discouraged venues from booking the band. Gigs were then often played under the pseudonym The 7th Cavalry to avoid the stigma of the Combat 84 name.[1]

Victory Records, wanting little to do with the band at this point, compiled an album of studio recordings (intended for the band's debut album) and bootleg-quality live tracks and licensed it to German label Rock-O-Rama Records for release as Send in the Marines in 1984. The record was disowned by the band, which split up soon after.[1][2]

In the intervening years, Combat 84 were frequently labelled as a neo-Nazi, white power or Rock Against Communism (RAC) band,[3] a charge which has been denied by 'Deptford' John and Jim, noting that the band's songs contained no racist lyrics, nor were they ever aligned with any far-right political party, although 'Deptford' John noted in a 2001 interview with the "Pissed and Proud" fanzine that he believes in free speech and whilst not supporting it, that RAC music should be allowed a platform - as "people should be allowed to say what they want".[1][4]

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:12 am

Ive had many a late night beer fueled arguement with my best mate/guitarist skinhead joe about wqhich was the 'okay' band and which was the RAC' band Combat 84 vs Condemned 84.............. dunno why we never just we googled it. Probably did and were just too pisst. Turns out theyre both racist pricks. Condemned 84 probably being the worse of the two if thats possible. More 'Condemning' affiliations/quotations. Now that I think about this ........some of this Malaysian Oi, i have is kind of nationalist too.......... theres an odd theme happening here..... am I a multi cultural closet nazi? I mean technically im neither English nor Malay........ If i start listening to Fortress then Im fucked I reckon. (Aussies answer to skrewdriver).

Drax

Postby Drax » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:50 pm

You just reminded me of Joe coming home fuckin drunk late one night, and then passing out on his bed listening to two songs

Ian Stuart - By the Wayside
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Just those two, on repeat or some shit, real fuckin loud.

dave-brown wrote:Hah, Yeah I tried reading it (Mein Kampf) once, Im not sure if they translated it into English badly on purpose, but he comes off very illiterate on top of everything else.
If I'm remembering this right, he basically dictated the whole thing while in prison. So it's essentially a massive fucking rant, that he got someone to write down. You might've had a bad translation, but even with a good one, it's still packed full of contradictions and it jumps all over the place. So it's not even a well-planned and easy to follow essay of fucked up political ideas. It's a really badly-exectued one. But the real fucked-up part is how popular it was.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:42 am

Drax wrote:You just reminded me of Joe coming home fuckin drunk late one night, and then passing out on his bed listening to two songs

Ian Stuart - By the Wayside
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Just those two, on repeat or some shit, real fuckin loud.

best lol im likely to get today

the only thing i have to say about mien kampf is that its still popular, and its most popular country is turkey for some reason, never given a shit about it tho, id rather read the bible and y'all no i dont like me no jebus

ian stewart tho, i really like streetfight '86, pretty much everything else is just so racist it hurts my brain, like its so bad that you would have to be racist to enjoy it, cos it literally has nothing else to recommend it.

the skrewdriver cover of bad moon rising is fucking hilarious tho
"Look how happy he is"

mike

Postby mike » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Anyway you guys, are getting, off the subject. Politics is boring and sucks arse. How it has anything, to do with music. Which should be something, you listen to, cheer yourself up. Well I thought, Oi was about having a laugh. RAC isn't in many ways Oi. Musically, it has a lot more metal or hard rock influences. Which was deliberately, done I've read, to appeal to a wider audience. Gobsmakt weren't at all, a nazi band. Nor to my knowledge, were any of them Nazis, whilst playing in Gobsmakt. In the past though, most skinheads in NZ, definetly in the 80's. Would have saluted. Look at the book Staunch, for those that haven't seen it, was a 90's book, on various NZ gangs. Black Jack from the Droogs, a part Maori Skinhead back then, was saluting, in the Skinhead section. They described themselves, as unemployed Panzer drivers. Droogs weren't Nazi's. The swastika was worn, to shock people. By all kinds of groups, Bikers, Mob, Punks etc. Was Sid Vicious, a Nazi? Who knows, I personally couldn't give a fuck, coz hes long dead. Didn't actually play, on Never Mind The Bollocks. But wasn't a bad singer, wish I still had Sid Sings LP. Anyway I suck, politics sucks and back to the subject. Or its back to KUNT & THE GANG, what was I thinking, when I posted that.

Cheers for the comment, about Bludgers doing good version of Bad Man cover. What you guys, didn't know was. After we received, our free onstage Illusions, from Lorraine and Jon from Ward Lane, was our CD release. Which 2 my disgust. I have since found out, it is now illegal, for a bar, to have a shaker?? Chenoa told me. I was actually feeling 2 pissed to sing and play guitar. So, I asked Crazy Greymouth Geoff, (was once in a band called Monster from Christchurch as well, we once played a gig with) who was in the audience, to sing, the song for us. It has a bit of tricky guitaring, on the 12th fret and at time, still am. I was digging Rejects big time. Id watched James play it, in set prior. I thought wait on, if you listen, close as, I been playing geetar, for awhile. Is actually, bit more 2 it. Was just for a laugh. Sobered me up enough, to carry on with the set, afterwards.

I never wanted to be the singer, or ever set out to sing. Ewan had done a bit of glue, in younger years. So he often, had trouble, remembering when to come in, with the lyrics. That was why I did so much vocals, while he was in the band. Also 2 try make chorus's more yobbo. Once he did come in though, I always thought, we were a better band and he was the better vocalist, than myself. We played faster, only reason slowed down, was due to that was all I could sing 2. Shame really. But cheers Ewan for the time, you were with us. And cheers to anyone that helped us sing, minus Will who fucked it up big time. But was about having a laugh, shame I think Gripper is the only band left, from all the bands, we played with? Around the country, is Horror story still goin? Ahh forgot about Bazooka, Infinite Justice. Sorry if, I've overlooked any other band.

Now back to Contemporary Oi from nowdays that Dsn't Suck. How did No Class get on here, or the Bludgers. They both Suck, Bludgers is RIP

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:46 pm

mike wrote:Cheers for the comment, about Bludgers doing good version of Bad Man cover. What you guys, didn't know was. After we received, our free onstage Illusions, from Lorraine and Jon from Ward Lane, was our CD release. Which 2 my disgust. I have since found out, it is now illegal, for a bar, to have a shaker?? Chenoa told me. I was actually feeling 2 pissed to sing and play guitar. So, I asked Crazy Greymouth Geoff, (was once in a band called Monster from Christchurch as well, we once played a gig with) who was in the audience, to sing, the song for us. It has a bit of tricky guitaring, on the 12th fret and at time, still am. I was digging Rejects big time. Id watched James play it, in set prior. I thought wait on, if you listen, close as, I been playing geetar, for awhile. Is actually, bit more 2 it. Was just for a laugh. Sobered me up enough, to carry on with the set, afterwards.

...And cheers to anyone that helped us sing, minus Will who fucked it up big time.

Haha all good, I remember the band being a bit miffed at the time, but to be honest it makes for hilarious story so good on ya. I only remember Will singing bad man at that wardlane show. Is that guy still about?
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:42 pm

is that white power will? haha, fuck he loved it when i called him that.

just to reiterate, i dont think gobsmakt are or ever were nazis, it was just that their video was that racist imagery, and people often scream 'racism' for the silliest reason.

when i first met frosty he was giving darren(nazis cum) shit about being a national socialiist, haha
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:25 pm

"Look how happy he is"

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:05 pm

mike wrote:
Now back to Contemporary Oi from nowdays that Dsn't Suck. How did No Class get on here, or the Bludgers. They both Suck, Bludgers is RIP

Lol well I will agree with you on No Class sucking, we basically steal riffs and yell unoriginal lyrics, but hey thats OI!
That sucks The Bludgers have come to an end, they were and still are one of my favourite NZ bands, we pretty much just started Ferndale Stranglers so we could play with yous and get to see you for free haha, That was the reason i wanted to start the band anyway.
To be honest I prefer Mistaken Identity though, that band was incredible, i still regularly listen to you fullas aye, and it is still painted in big letters on the back of my Leather Jacket (which I think James Tentacles painted many years ago).
On the topic of NZ bands I miss, Vicious Rumour were awesome man, I listened to their split with Gripper recently, 'BBC' By V.R is a classic kiwi Oi! anthem in my opinion. Such a sweet bunch of dudes too,

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:49 am

aryan terror brigade?
"Look how happy he is"

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:15 pm

dave-brown wrote:Vicious Rumour

What was the song they played early on, police control or something?

Good tune

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:12 am

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:15 pm

This is a fantastic documentary. Not so much on Oi! or even music at all,but a brilliantly made doco on the history and various stages of skinhead culture

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:25 am

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:32 pm

track above is well decent

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:10 am

R.I.P Micky

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:43 am

Stink news

Pretty much the only time I've ever needed to throw a punch at someone was at the Auckland Business show. Good times. RIP.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:21 am

What happens?

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:15 am

PertHJ wrote:Stink news

Pretty much the only time I've ever needed to throw a punch at someone was at the Auckland Business show. Good times. RIP.

Hah thats right, that was well deserved pert.

He died of cancer, his health had been deteriorating quite rapidly, I only heard about the diagnosis about a month ago. A sad day for punk and Oi! the world over. He did allot in the sense of bridging the gap between punks and skins, covering crass in an Oi! band is a pretty ballsy move. He had allot of energy on stage and played right up to the end. He was pretty down to earth and pretty tolerant of younger annoying fans like myself. even scored him Meth when they played in Wellington. The Business are largely to blame for my obsession with OI! music and its sad when an o.g member of the movement passes on.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:14 pm

9seconds wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byPDKvbm7Cw

thought you didnt like greeks phil :baton:
Kramer Murphy and Associates

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:01 pm

This is well decent. This rockn roll styled guitaring joined with good boot stomping Oi! tunes is only really being pulled off by these guys, Crown Court and maybe Vanity from the states. But I have a copy of Vanitys 's more recent 'Dont be Shy' sitting in my room as we speak, I've only listened to it a couple of times. Their 'Vain in Life' release was pretty fist pumping, but had some divided responses. Rockn Roll Oi meets hipster rock was not an inaccurate description. Well if 'Vain in life' wasn't hipster rock enough, 'Dont be shy' definately is. It really is quite painful and i do no reccomend buying it whatsoever. The copy in my room belongs to a mate, he listened to it at mine and hasn't even bothered taking it home.
here it is if youre generally interested.

Return to “Music”